[Hasbro]  The unbanning of the turbo exclusives in burst classic

(Oct. 05, 2019  12:41 PM)Shindog Wrote:
(Oct. 05, 2019  9:58 AM)BoogietheBlader Wrote: Drivers are still allowed. Aren't they something new?
New drivers are often added to classic and that is great.  But.... why drivers?  Why not disks? Frames? Layers? 

Is it about power level of the parts or just about playing with older parts?  Or it is about making the term “classic” easy to comprehend?  Judgement.Vertical.Accel can make the “classic” driver Accel pretty playable imo.  Why not have a format to pay homage to drivers that no longer have a place instead of layers?  In my opinion, drivers, performance tips, Running cores...and etc (stuff that contacts the stadium the most) are the most defining parts of a beyblade combination anyway.  Personally, single and dual layers are all new to me so it isn’t about new/fresh for me personally.  I know many burst classic players who bought many burst classic parts for the 1st time recently.  

In my opinion, allowing the turbo layers in classic is a fair suggestion.  Personally, I thought the original inclusion of some less powerful God Layers was fine too.  My guess is the turbo layers and bad God layers likely won’t cut it in burst limited.  It would be nice if they can find a home.  But I understand not all beyblade parts are created equal and some just won’t see much competitive play.  I also understand allowing some Turbo layers into classic is confusing, because Hasbro insists on being confusing.  Designing a format hurts my brain and I won’t pretend to know what is best.  I do know that the original post had a ton of testing in it.  The tests were pretty convincing to me.

You understood both sides pretty damn well. Love that first para.
(Oct. 05, 2019  6:22 AM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: I suspect the Turbo exclusives won't be banned in the upcoming Burst Limited format, for whatever that's worth. If enough overpowered God layers are banned (Balkesh B3, Sr3, Garuda, etc.) and any overpowered ChoZs if ChoZs are allowed in the format, then the Turbo exclusives may have the ability to shine in that format, even if they're on the lower tier of things.

I know, it's not what you want, you'd prefer it for Classic. But it's something.
Trust me, they aren't going to even be decent in a limited environment. All of them are completely out classed by multiple layers and again, they're pretty much dual layers. Using them in limited is like using V2 over X3 or lS3, very incorrect.
(Oct. 05, 2019  9:58 AM)BoogietheBlader Wrote: Drivers are still allowed. Aren't they something new?
New drivers are often added to classic and that is great.  But.... why drivers?  Why not disks? Frames? Layers? 

Is it about power level of the parts or just about playing with older parts?  Or it is about making the term “classic” easy to comprehend?  Judgement.Vertical.Accel can make the “classic” driver Accel pretty playable imo.  Why not have a format to pay homage to drivers that no longer have a place instead of layers?  In my opinion, drivers, performance tips, Running cores...and etc (stuff that contacts the stadium the most) are the most defining parts of a beyblade combination anyway.  Personally, single and dual layers are all new to me so it isn’t about new/fresh for me personally.  I know many burst classic players who bought many burst classic parts for the 1st time recently.  

In my opinion, allowing the turbo layers in classic is a fair suggestion.  Personally, I thought the original inclusion of some less powerful God Layers was fine too.  My guess is the turbo layers and bad God layers likely won’t cut it in burst limited.  It would be nice if they can find a home.  But I understand not all beyblade parts are created equal and some just won’t see much competitive play.  I also understand allowing some Turbo layers into classic is confusing, because Hasbro insists on being confusing.  Designing a format hurts my brain and I won’t pretend to know what is best.  I do know that the original post had a ton of testing in it.  The tests were pretty convincing to me.
I've never played with classic ether. But It's like you said, adding turbo exclusives makes everything more confusing. If you would like a classic drivers format then suggest it, it actuality seems pretty cool.

(Oct. 05, 2019  1:43 PM)bladekid Wrote:
(Oct. 05, 2019  6:22 AM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: I suspect the Turbo exclusives won't be banned in the upcoming Burst Limited format, for whatever that's worth. If enough overpowered God layers are banned (Balkesh B3, Sr3, Garuda, etc.) and any overpowered ChoZs if ChoZs are allowed in the format, then the Turbo exclusives may have the ability to shine in that format, even if they're on the lower tier of things.

I know, it's not what you want, you'd prefer it for Classic. But it's something.
Trust me, they aren't going to even be decent in a limited environment. All of them are completely out classed by multiple layers and again, they're pretty much dual layers. Using them in limited is like using V2 over X3 or lS3, very incorrect.
Yeah, i doubt that they will ever be used for anything...

Yes, but the point of Burst Classic is to allow the older layers to have a meta. That is why they have a bunch of newer drivers in Classic. A format for older drivers could be fun, but the current format is not for the older drivers, it is for the older layers. Like I’ve said before, adding the new things to the old game ruins the point.
(Oct. 05, 2019  2:56 PM)Dt20000 Wrote: Yes, but the point of Burst Classic is to allow the older layers to have a meta. That is why they have a bunch of newer drivers in Classic. A format for older drivers could be fun, but the current format is not for the older drivers, it is for the older layers. Like I’ve said before, adding the new things to the old game ruins the point.

Why not extend it a bit to have slingshock exclusives which are useless in current meta and in the same power levels of dual layers? It will also provide more options for hasbro players.
(Oct. 05, 2019  2:59 PM)Ash_Ketchum_007 Wrote:
(Oct. 05, 2019  2:56 PM)Dt20000 Wrote: Yes, but the point of Burst Classic is to allow the older layers to have a meta. That is why they have a bunch of newer drivers in Classic. A format for older drivers could be fun, but the current format is not for the older drivers, it is for the older layers. Like I’ve said before, adding the new things to the old game ruins the point.

Why not extend it a bit to have slingshock exclusives which are useless in current meta and in the same power levels of dual layers? It will also provide more options for hasbro players.

Did you miss the memo about it being “Burst Classic” and not “Burst Limited”? It is a Format for older layers. Adding something just because it is weak kinda ruins the point
(Oct. 05, 2019  3:44 PM)Dt20000 Wrote: Did you miss the memo about it being “Burst Classic” and not “Burst Limited”? It is a Format for older layers. Adding something just because it is weak kinda ruins the point

My question is why though? Why let it be a format exclusively for older layers?
(Oct. 05, 2019  5:23 PM)Ash_Ketchum_007 Wrote:
(Oct. 05, 2019  3:44 PM)Dt20000 Wrote: Did you miss the memo about it being “Burst Classic” and not “Burst Limited”? It is a Format for older layers. Adding something just because it is weak kinda ruins the point

My question is why though? Why let it be a format exclusively for older layers?

Because that was how it was when it was created. Because Layers are the most important part. Because old Layers have less use in Burst Standard than old drivers. There are a slew of reasons, and it makes no sense to go against them just because you like Accel.
But Burst Classic was created to give non-used Beys a time to shine, right? Why doesn't this apply to the Turbo exclusives, or even some basic Turbo beys? If the only argument is that it's confusing, then I think it's doable.
The Hasbro Exclusives were made by an official Beyblade producing company. I don't understand why the would be considered fake. I don't agree with the "they are weaker so they are allowed argument." They should be allowed because they are fully plastic with no metal attachments to them besides the Forge Disk. Now if we were talking the Turbo line in general then Xcalius X4 Should be banned in classic due to the Metal on the Energy Layer. In general, I believe that the Turbo line should be allowed WITHOUT changing the Sling-Shock mode between matches. I believe the line should be allowed due to them being fully plastic and little-to-no gimmicks.
Wait, you wrote “have a bunch of newer drivers” and “adding new things to the old game ruins the point” in the same paragraph.

Just want to clarify, you are saying adding new drivers is fun and interesting but adding some new layers of similar power level ruins the format.
(Oct. 05, 2019  7:49 PM)Shindog Wrote:
Wait, you wrote “have a bunch of newer drivers” and “adding new things to the old game ruins the point” in the same paragraph.

Just want to clarify, you are saying adding new drivers is fun and interesting but adding new layers ruins the format.

I mean, drivers and layers are two completely separate things.
(Oct. 05, 2019  7:45 PM)boogerman24 Wrote: The Hasbro Exclusives were made by an official Beyblade producing company. I don't understand why the would be considered fake. I don't agree with the "they are weaker so they are allowed argument." They should be allowed because they are fully plastic with no metal attachments to them besides the Forge Disk. Now if we were talking the Turbo line in general then Xcalius X4 Should be banned in classic due to the Metal on the Energy Layer. In general, I believe that the Turbo line should be allowed WITHOUT changing the Sling-Shock mode between matches. I believe the line should be allowed due to them being fully plastic and little-to-no gimmicks.
But the other turbo beys are too strong for the format. That's why D2 is banned, just because it's too good. I don't think the turbo line should be legal, at least as a whole and the Slingshock gimmick works fine in classic how it is. And, it's not really about gimmicks or metal, it's about the strength level.

(Oct. 05, 2019  6:58 PM)Armor Wrote: But Burst Classic was created to give non-used Beys a time to shine, right? Why doesn't this apply to the Turbo exclusives, or even some basic Turbo beys? If the only argument is that it's confusing, then I think it's doable.
Yeah, that and the argument of the classic name. Those seem to be the only arguments for keeping them banned.
(Oct. 05, 2019  7:52 PM)bladekid Wrote: [quote='boogerman24' pid='1549675' dateline='1570301156']
The Hasbro Exclusives were made by an official Beyblade producing company. I don't understand why the would be considered fake. I don't agree with the "they are weaker so they are allowed argument." They should be allowed because they are fully plastic with no metal attachments to them besides the Forge Disk. Now if we were talking the Turbo line in general then Xcalius X4 Should be banned in classic due to the Metal on the Energy Layer. In general, I believe that the Turbo line should be allowed WITHOUT changing the Sling-Shock mode between matches. I believe the line should be allowed due to them being fully plastic and little-to-no gimmicks.
But the other turbo beys are too strong for the format. That's why D2 is banned, just because it's too good. I don't think the turbo line should be legal, at least as a whole and the Slingshock gimmick works fine in classic how it is. And, it's not really about gimmicks or metal, it's about the strength level.

So what Beyblades would be legal?
(Oct. 05, 2019  8:00 PM)boogerman24 Wrote:
(Oct. 05, 2019  7:52 PM)bladekid Wrote:
(Oct. 05, 2019  7:45 PM)boogerman24 Wrote: The Hasbro Exclusives were made by an official Beyblade producing company. I don't understand why the would be considered fake. I don't agree with the "they are weaker so they are allowed argument." They should be allowed because they are fully plastic with no metal attachments to them besides the Forge Disk. Now if we were talking the Turbo line in general then Xcalius X4 Should be banned in classic due to the Metal on the Energy Layer. In general, I believe that the Turbo line should be allowed WITHOUT changing the Sling-Shock mode between matches. I believe the line should be allowed due to them being fully plastic and little-to-no gimmicks.

So what Beyblades would be legal?
That's where the turbo exclusives come into play. They are the ones I'm trying to get unbanned because they are the dual layer of strength unlike things like H4 or P4 because, which are more like god layers.
(Oct. 05, 2019  7:52 PM)bladekid Wrote:
(Oct. 05, 2019  6:58 PM)Armor Wrote: But Burst Classic was created to give non-used Beys a time to shine, right? Why doesn't this apply to the Turbo exclusives, or even some basic Turbo beys? If the only argument is that it's confusing, then I think it's doable.
Yeah, that and the argument of the classic name. Those seem to be the only arguments for keeping them banned.

The name is an argument because it’s the best way to prove that this is not a Format for under-used parts, it’s a Format for older parts. You seriously don’t seem to understand that fact, do you? Mana said in the Opening Reveal that Burst Classic is “a format dedicated to old Single & Dual Layer System parts which can no longer fit in the metagame”.

You don’t agree with the ‘they are weaker argument’, and yet your argument is that the beyblades are simple and weak? That seems like a contradiction.
I've wanted to comment on this thread for a while just to show that I 100% support these parts being unbanned in Classic (unless further testing suggests that some of them are too powerful for the format), but I just haven't bothered to fully organize my thoughts on the issue until now I guess (so this post is going to be pretty lost long). If anyone wants more tests against competitive Classic combos, I've tested Ogre and Kraken pretty extensively, and they both seem to have their niches in the metagame.

Allowing Turbo Layers, generally speaking, into Burst Classic makes the banlist no more complicated than the banlist for MFB Limited. Explaining to people that you can use Hasbro's light, hollowed out Fang, Death, and Duo wheels, but not Takara Tomy's heavier ones is no different of a ban condition, and is actually significantly less confusing considering that in MFB these parts not only shared the same names, but later on into the Metal Fury line Hasbro actually released the Takara Tomy versions of some of the parts they had nerfed earlier. It's much easier to say "Achilles A4 is allowed, but Z Achilles is not" than to say "TT Phantom is not allowed, and neither is the Hasbro Metal Fury Legends Phantom, but you can use the Hasbro Metal Fury non-Legends Phantom", so this is in reality less complicated than an already existing rule in an already existing format. What Hasbro essentially has done, during both Metal Fury and Turbo (or like the entirety of Burst to an extent) is create completely new parts that should be evaluated on their own merits.

I'm well aware that not every part is going to be viable, as some parts are just poorly designed and aren't likely to be chosen no matter what you ban or unban, but that isn't the point of the argument. The release of Hasbro's Turbo line, which is in itself a glaringly obvious parallel to their Metal Fury line way back in the day, was in fact one of the main catalysts that led to the creation of Burst Classic. And similarly to the Metal Fury wheels, these Turbo Layers are much weaker than things that already exist. No one will use them in Burst Limited, and definitely no one will use them in Burst Standard. Without Classic, no one would care about these Layers at all, and any information about their performance would eventually be lost, or just never come to exist in the first place. So literally, it almost makes too much sense that these Turbo Layers, which are "conveniently" power scaled to a Single/Dual Layer level, are allowed in Burst Classic, the format that is also power scaled to a Single/Dual Layer level and was "conveniently" developed around the exact same time as their release. Ignoring the similarities in playstyle, relative power scaling, and even the context and purpose of their development between Burst Classic and MFB Limited is, in my opinion, incredibly foolish, and will only hinder the format in the long run.

(Oct. 04, 2019  2:13 PM)Dt20000 Wrote: I’ve said this before, but I’ll say it again:

Burst Classic does not need new parts. It is a Format for older parts. Adding new parts just because they are weaker, in my opinion, kinda ruins the point of a classic format. If we add in all the weak new parts, it basically becomes a second Burst Limited, and we don’t need a second Burst Limited.

I've also said this before, and I'll say it again, because apparently some people did not get the memo the first time:

Burst Classic is, by definition as a format with a banlist, a Limited Format. The only reason it isn't called "Burst Limited" to match the MFB Limited format is because it was originally proposed alongside a second Limited Format which is based around the Late God/Early Cho Z era, and having two formats with the same name would be confusing. The "Classic" name was chosen to indicate that this format is power scaled to an era before the other Limited format, and isn't meant to be taken so ignorantly literally.  

Though it's lost traction over the years, there was once a similar proposal for a "4D Limited" format that would serve as a format where parts that are too strong for Limited, but too weak for Standard (mainly the 4D Series) could shine. If this format was to be made official, and we were to follow the naming scheme used in the Burst Formats for consistency's sake, it would become MFB Limited, and what is currently known as MFB Limited would be referred to as MFB Classic. Now, does this mean that we would have raging normies screeching for Jade, all of the Metal Fury, and Zero-G/Shogun Steel parts to be banned from MFB Classic, simply because they aren't older parts and are perfectly legal (albeit useless) in Limited? Possibly, but would that argument be well received? Not at all, because those parts are already right at home in Classic, and it would make no sense to unnecessarily remove them as viable options from the metagame that they've been balanced for.

(Oct. 05, 2019  5:19 AM)BoogietheBlader Wrote: My point is, burst classic is for classic beyblades. If exclusives are allowed because "they aren't that strong" then why not allow Satomb S3? That loses to classic combos. The qestion is, where do we draw the line, Shindog bladekid

?

Let the record show that many of the weaker God Layers, like Satomb S3, were originally allowed in Classic. Halfway through the unranked experimental phase, there was a trial ban on them, to see how the format would play without them, similarly to how most of the Dash Drivers were trial banned for the first half of the experimental phase. When this phase ended and the format became ranked, they simply remained on the current banlist because some people preferred the way the format played without them. That doesn't mean that there's no chance that they will be unbanned at some point in the future, though. We're still keeping an eye on Zeta' and Bullet, two currently legal parts that may become banned if they prove too be too powerful.

However, reducing the argument for including them to just that "they aren't that strong" is a bit ingenuous. The Turbo Exclusive Dual Layers add more depth and variety to the Classic metagame, introducing several viable new parts  for players to use and just making it overall a better, more fun game to play. They give some much needed accessibility to the format as well - Some of the older Hasbro and Takara releases, especially Takara single Layers, are becoming more difficult and expensive to obtain and having Beyblades that anyone can buy at their local store and use makes the format lot more appealing.
(Oct. 06, 2019  2:59 AM)Wombat Wrote: *large quote removed.*

I completely agree with Wombat. And the funny thing is, I was just looking at the Ogre and Kraken tests. The tests show that the layers aren't going to break the classic meta. So, in conclusion, I personally think that the hasbro exclusives should be unbanned.

And like others have pointed out, in the US, It's a lot harder to get good dual layers. I can only find turbo and evolution switchstrike waves 1, 5, and 6. I guess people could order Takara Tomy dual layers online, but some people don't have paypal.
Just to quickly cover the whole "they aren't old" argument. This took me like 45 to write so forgive me if people have said this stuff in that time before this post. So, I know the argument of "it's called classic, so it should be for the old layers only", I just think it's very close minded and a flawed system. From what I believe Wombat told me (don't mean to misquote you, if so sorry) it was named classic to differentiate it from the god layer centered limited format, just another limited, but focuses on things like dual layers, but mostly dual layers. And also if it is "no layers besides old layers should be allowed, or only dual and single layers" even if you don't include the new drivers being allowed, there is still hypocrisy in this format. If you want to say only the older layers, say good bye to all the Hasbro exclusive dual layers and the element X beys. If you want claim only dual and single layers, then remove the plastic gen. No one has ever really mentioned it, but they technically aren't dual or single layers, just a whole other thing with them being the plastic gen remakes. And yeah, you can definitely argue they are the same power level as the single and dual layers and they are included because of that. And that's the crux of this whole thing. Should we really be including them? Well, if you argue yes, and more specifically, disagree with my point on the turbo exclusives, they congratulations! You have partaken in a blatant act of hypocrisy. In my opinion, the turbo exclusives are in a very similar spot as the plastic gen remakes. And if you want to argue that they fall into the old category, A couple of them do, I believe that dragoon storm was released around March 2017, a bit before the god layer era, but the others don't seem to hit the mark as the other ones come later and more in the god series, some even releasing in choZ. And even if my info is wrong, it stands that they aren't dual or single layers at all. So if they aren't really in the "they are old layers" camp, and they don't fit the "only dual layers" requirement, then why do they have anymore of a right to be in this format than the turbo exclusives? And ~Mana~ , I hate to mention you again, but I'm really hoping you will respond to me as I'm trying to have a civil debate with you. Thanks
(Oct. 06, 2019  3:32 AM)bladekid Wrote:
Long post (Click to View)
Honestly, I agree with this whole thing.
Dude, chill. Mana already responded to you on the 15th, right after you made this thread. Don't keep at-ing them. Maybe they're not interested in a debate. Maybe they'd just rather see more comprehensive testing from more than just one source.

I wish tournament organizers had more leeway about having custom rules in WBO tournaments. I feel like this is more of a "test it in a tournament setting and see what happens" sort of thing, because those for and against will never agree, but you can't argue with data. Perhaps a few unranked tournaments permitting the Turbo exclusive layers could be done in a couple different regions? I would not be adversed to running one if it was permitted. We've had a few tournaments now testing the pick 3 choose 1 format, so why the heck not.
Do we consider the burst classic format thriving at this time? It is a format I thought would be extremely popular but I don’t know that it really is. I would love to hear from all the people in this thread who have hosted/participated in 3 or more Burst classic tournaments that are either ranked or unranked. I like to hear their thoughts on allowing the turbo layers and how that would affect the popularity of the format. I would equally like to hear from people who have hosted/participated in 0 Burst classic tournaments. I would like to know why they think that is and how to change that. Would the more accessible turbo layers help? And if not, what would help promote the burst classic format?

I said this before, and I will say it again. What is the point of having a simple to understand format if hardly anyone plays it? There just hasn’t been an abundance of burst classic tournaments in my opinion.
(Oct. 06, 2019  3:52 AM)Shindog Wrote: Do we consider the burst classic format thriving at this time? It is a format I thought would be extremely popular but I don’t know that it really is. I would love to hear from all the people in this thread who have hosted/participated in 3 or more Burst classic tournaments that are either ranked or unranked. I like to hear their thoughts on allowing the turbo layers and how that would affect the popularity of the format. I would equally like to hear from people who have hosted/participated in 0 Burst classic tournaments. I would like to know why they think that is and how to change that. Would the more accessible turbo layers help? And if not, what would help promote the burst classic format?

I said this before, and I will say it again. What is the point of having a simple to understand format if hardly anyone plays it? There just hasn’t been an abundance of burst classic tournaments in my opinion.

I see a lot of people skipping classic tournaments because they don't have classic parts. I think allowing turbo exclusives would help this issue, as it is very easy to get turbo exclusives right now.
I have participated in about 1 Burst Classic tournament every month or two since its inception. I've continued participating in them since they went ranked. I'm literally going to another one tomorrow. I like Burst Classic a lot, because you almost never have opposite spin ties.

I have no strong opinions on allowing the layers one way or the other, because I don't have most of them and haven't tested them, but I WOULD like us all to stop hemming and hawing and start testing with tournament events.

It can't be called a "simple to understand" format, because if you ban ANY parts, then 90% of the bladers who show up to tournaments will bring banned parts, and not understand why, and get sad when you tell them they can't use it, that's just how they roll, there's no fixing that.

Also I find it *hilarious* that we're 3 pages into this thread and the layers in question haven't even been identified. That should've been done in the OP.
The Turbo Exclusive layers are currently:
Balar B4
Cyclops C4
Dullahan D4
Gargoyle G4
Kraken K4
Morrigna M4
Ogre O4
Rudr R4
Sphinx S4
Typhon T4
The Something-X Something layers are just recolors of the 2s, those already follow the rules for the matching 2s.
(Oct. 06, 2019  4:01 AM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: I have participated in about 1 Burst Classic tournament every month or two since its inception. I've continued participating in them since they went ranked. I'm literally going to another one tomorrow. I like Burst Classic a lot....
That is definitely more classic tournaments than I have hosted+participated.  Personally, I just don’t get the demand.  I basically get requests to host Burst standard only (little bit of HMS and MFB stuff from a select few).  What do you see/feel that makes players gravitate toward classic in the tournament areas you visit.  What can I do to promote classic?

Are most players buying older TT parts or are they playing Hasbro (alto even some older Hasbro parts can be expensive now)?