HMS General Discussion

Honestly I think spending money on HMS now is pretty much a waste, it's a great system but nothing inherently better than MFB, and the metagame is pretty boring.
Hm, fair, but I must disagree, have you been following mfb closely? It's always "buy the newest thing to win", and I dunno, but to me they really lack the charm of the earlier series. They're also really heavy which makes launching rather uncomfortable, and while I don't have an msuv until mine arrived next week or so, RF and R2F really aren't anywhere near as nice to use as their plastic equivalents (grip base/Ariel 2's tip), and given how much people go on about the grip flat cores, I imagine it's going to be a similar case. There's also no true metal change tip Wink

I mean, given the price of HMS, it's probably a very fair thing to say, but if you can hunt for bargains it's not such a huge issue.

As for the metagame being boring, that's somewhat true, but it is at least largely attack oriented, so skill does play a fairly large role in it. As for MFB, the metagame shifts and it is much harder to use attack effectively, though it is very rewarding, it's still rather risky, and the overall bias is still somewhat defensive, especially as the increase in weight does favour defense overall when new parts are released. I'm probably being far too negative, but the MFB meta is pretty far from perfect too.

All that said, yes HMS is a huge money sink, especially as there are very few places where running HMS tourneys is feasible, but the system overall is so elegant and charming, that for someone like me who isn't a huge fan of competition anyway, it is largely irrelevant.
I only have one hms bey which is Dark Leopard MS.I don't have the launcher for it.
It's a fun bey. If you need a launcher and ripcord you can find a cheap bey on ebay, though the takara ones often come with broken ripcords and fake replacement ones.

Dark Leopard is a cool bey, there's an article on it on the wiki if you want to read about it Smile
@th!nk- I have already read the article.People say it's rare...Is it really rare?And I will try to get a ripcord and launcher for it from someone who has a spare one..or I will buy it from someone...
All HMS Beyblades can be called somewhat rare (Driger, Gaia Dragoon, Draciel MS not included).
The HMS System lasted for a very short span of time, so..
I think I can give you one of my spare launchers.
(Apr. 19, 2012  1:02 PM)?Mr.MyStery? Wrote: @th!nk- I have already read the article.People say it's rare...Is it really rare?And I will try to get a ripcord and launcher for it from someone who has a spare one..or I will buy it from someone...

Their all rare, but some are rarer than others. It depends on the color, Well Black Is the Basic MA-16 and then you have Light Gray and the Yellow which are the Limited Edition Fukubako 2005 Recolours http://www.theintoy.co.uk/fukubako-2005-...-1607.html.
I have the Yellow version, But Regardless, their are rarely any NIB Takara Tomy Beyblade MA-16 selling out there! Light Grey, Yellow or BLACK! trust me iv'e looked. Since you have 1 keep it!
(Apr. 19, 2012  12:27 PM)th!nk Wrote: It's a fun bey. If you need a launcher and ripcord you can find a cheap bey on ebay, though the takara ones often come with broken ripcords and fake replacement ones.

Dark Leopard is a cool bey, there's an article on it on the wiki if you want to read about it Smile

I'm so happy people would still read the HMS articles I wrote, haha. I am pretty proud of those!

I get what you're saying about HMS, and I agree there are some things better about HMS but IMO the fact that it's not current and the price makes it not worth getting started, really. There's also the problem that we never got a decent HMS stadium -- Tornado Balance is way too slanted in favour of Stamina types, and TBTS is just claustrophobic. A Tornado Attack that was about 2/3 the size and thicker plastic would have been perfect.

HMS is an elegant system but I think the construction of MFB is better, but the HMS launchers were awesome. It's also true that the rubber tips back then were much better.
(Apr. 22, 2012  5:41 PM)Bey Brad Wrote:
(Apr. 19, 2012  12:27 PM)th!nk Wrote: It's a fun bey. If you need a launcher and ripcord you can find a cheap bey on ebay, though the takara ones often come with broken ripcords and fake replacement ones.

I'm so happy people would still read the HMS articles I wrote, haha. I am pretty proud of those!

I get what you're saying about HMS, and I agree there are some things better about HMS but IMO the fact that it's not current and the price makes it not worth getting started, really. There's also the problem that we never got a decent HMS stadium -- Tornado Balance is way too slanted in favour of Stamina types, and TBTS is just claustrophobic. A Tornado Attack that was about 2/3 the size and thicker plastic would have been perfect.

HMS is an elegant system but I think the construction of MFB is better, but the HMS launchers were awesome. It's also true that the rubber tips back then were much better.

The HMS articles on BeyWiki are honestly really fantastic, and the articles you wrote for all generations are generally solid.

Yeah, the price thing is definitely true. I'm just getting into them but have managed to get started fairly cheaply compared to market price so it works out okay. As for stadiums, I'm agreed, but Tornado Attack still seems really nice - I'll know for sure once my MSUV arrives so I have something other than Metal Flat Core to use. I know exactly what you mean by thicker plastic though, I'm working on reinforcing one of my Tornado Attacks, haha, and the other one is thrashed.

I think HMS is much more elegant and versatile than MFB, MFB doesn't allow separate control over weight distribution and contact surfaces, which was a pertty major feature of previous generations. That said, MFB construction is certainly the "best" system so far in terms of reliability. Still, HMS has a particular charm to it, not to mention a metagame that isn't "1. Buy the newest release. 2. Win." though I guess "1. buy >$100 dragoon. 2. Win" isn't much better, the difference is that like plastics, you know that what you buy won't be hideously outclassed in 3-4 months. Maybe that's just a product of me being new to it, but I find the whole system pretty charming, haha.
Well there's also a generational shift happening in MFB right now, so we'll see. I know that early in the MFB metagame that wasn't really true. Of course I think when I quit the most recent release was like ... Lightning L-Drago, so things were pretty fun and balanced back then. Give Zero-G some time to stabilize, it seems interesting at least.

For TA, I think if you stack two of them on top of each other it might help. Maybe there's some kind of liquid foam you could sandwich between them? Or some kind of paint/lacquer? I don't know really.

I sold my entire HMS collection for like under $200 on YJ. Carp.
I totally should have just bought that.
Back in the heyday of Lightning L-Drago, MFB was probably at its best, or shortly thereafter. Things cut back severely with the release of rubber-tipped defense, but it was still a pretty open metagame, as only RS really killed everything in right spin. The maximum series, or at least Hell Kerbecs, Basalt Horogium and Flame Byxis, decimated attack. That said, with the release of Flash, the metagame is pretty balanced, but the excessive weight of the game makes it, I dunno, kinda uncomfortable to play. As for Zero-G, yeah, that's what I plan to do, I wanna see how it pans out before I throw money at a new stadium and so on.

I discussed it with Arupaeo, and I've got myself some foam filler and a board, so I'll reinforce underneath the stadium with tape, fill the stadium underside with foam, level it off before it dries, and then glue it to the board. Probably going to throw on a spirit meter for kicks (though the one I bought seems to be slightly off-centre). Two tornado attacks would be a much simpler solution, but they're pretty expensive now, and sacrificing one for that setup is a bit much for me (the materials were pretty cheap anyway). I'd use my old one, but the walls are full of holes, and I think I'm going to patch it up and use it for messing around/non-formal play or whatever.

Oh man, ouch. I imagine you're not alone in the world of regretful HMS sellers, though.

I had like 10 DEMS, too ...
(Apr. 23, 2012  4:59 AM)th!nk Wrote: Oh man, ouch. I imagine you're not alone in the world of regretful HMS sellers, though.

I sold two NIP Proto Grey Dragoon MS UV's for $60 each. Unhappy
Why does Jiraiya MS have the coolest emblem ever, but one of the ugliest Attack Rings. I cannot buy it for that reason ...

To resume this post : Who agrees, hah ?
I don't find bad or good. Also it's a very good attack ring so i'd buy it.
(May. 31, 2012  4:38 AM)Kai-V Wrote: Why does Jiraiya MS have the coolest emblem ever, but one of the ugliest Attack Rings. I cannot buy it for that reason ...

To resume this post : Who agrees, hah ?

I think everything about Jiraiya is equally terrible, concerning its aesthetic, actually...

Looks okay spinning, though, so if I were to actually use it, I'd not be particularly bothered.

Just print some BP stickers from it if you like it, lol.
Ninja are not meant to be seen.

Honestly though, Jiraiya MS is one of my favourite HMS in terms of looks, probably my favourite barring Samurai Changer.

In terms of performance though, I have every major HMS attack AR, and I'm yet to find anything that outperforms Samurai Upper, even against opposite spin opponents (it actually has a fair bit of smash too). Samurai Upper+15G Circle Wide+GFC Ultimate Mode 4 eva.

Also: The sticker on Samurai Upper says "Samurai Edge". What'sdatabout? I'd understand if it were called "Samurai Blade" and then they'd mistranslated it or something but yeah. CrazyTakara.
You guys are nuts. Jiraiya MS has a sick design all around.
I LOVE JiraiyaMS's design. It has an aggressive-looking design that gives the impression that it's an attack type.

I guess "Samurai Edge" comes from the fact that the edge of a Samurai's blade is the most deadly, hah. Perhaps it actually refers to Samurai Upper itself, where the edge (ramps) are the most vital part of the Attack Ring.
I just got my first HMS beys a few weeks ago (Driger MS and Wyvern DJ). My Driger MS DEFEATED my Pirates Orojya!!! I will say it again: DRIGER MS DEFEATED PIRATES OROJYA!!!!!!!!!!!
Which should I get, Jiraiya MS or Wolborg MS:
Jiraiya MS Argument: He is REALLY good, and he is good money-wise, and Ninjas rock!
Wolborg MS Argument: He is THE BEST BEYBLADE IN EXISTANCE and I really like wolborg. The problem is that he is REALLY expensive and I can't Get him for a reasonable price.
Beyblades are gender neutral...

Wolborg MS is probably not the best beyblade in existence, but it is one of the best buys in the HMS series.
(Jun. 09, 2012  4:37 AM)th!nk Wrote: Beyblades are gender neutral...

Wolborg MS is probably not the best beyblade in existence, but it is one of the best buys in the HMS series.

So what's your answer? BTW: what do you mean by "gender neutral"?
You should Google "gender neutral".

I'd get Wolborg MS.
The first time I spun an HMS bey was during the Mumbai tourney on Beydays. There seems to be some problem with the Dual launchers though because they gave me a launch worse than what I get with LL2. Bearing Core is awesome indeed. Janstarblast controlled DEMS very well too. Talking of Jiraiya MS, I saw sridbeyz17's Jiraiya and it does look quite good. The best part was the movement pattern of BC2. I liked how it just stood there even after taking hits. I never knew HMS could be this awesome. I guess I'll start collecting HMS as well XD.