Gundam Models

(Jan. 24, 2013  2:12 AM)Hazel Wrote: Putty can go wrong just as easily as it can work fantastically; it's entirely an issue of practicing and making sure it's completely dry, and if he's trying to avoid repainting, getting the right color can be a serious hassle.

Honestly, though, Hadi, it's really just going to be easier for you to repaint...
i think i will just gonna use putty and sand paper for now..
if i were to paint, i think its quite hard since it is assemble, the inner parts might get painted as well..
well how DO you paint the monoeye? and how can I practivce?
You paint it by painting it, with paint.

You practice by doing it on cheaper kits or some other construct made to replicate the experience; it isn't rocket science, it just requires experience. You will make your kit look icky if you go taking on things you can't handle on your first expensive kit, which is why most new Plamo detailers start with cheaper things to practice.
(Jan. 28, 2013  5:02 PM)Hazel Wrote: You paint it by painting it, with paint.

You practice by doing it on cheaper kits or some other construct made to replicate the experience; it isn't rocket science, it just requires experience. You will make your kit look icky if you go taking on things you can't handle on your first expensive kit, which is why most new Plamo detailers start with cheaper things to practice.

ok but where am i gonna get a cheap mono eye part? I don't think painting should be too hard i mean yeah even coats but still...
You can buy some no grade/first grade Mono-eyed kits, or some SD kits if you want a bigger eye to practice on... it would be easier to free-hand the monoeye rather than spray paint it, and freehanding comes with plenty of risks; visible brush strokes, sloppy edgework, etc. being the main concerns.

There are plenty of guides out there to painting plamo/gunpla, though, and I'm sure at least one of them mentions or uses a monoeye kit as a demonstration.
(Jan. 28, 2013  11:56 PM)Hazel Wrote: You can buy some no grade/first grade Mono-eyed kits, or some SD kits if you want a bigger eye to practice on... it would be easier to free-hand the monoeye rather than spray paint it, and freehanding comes with plenty of risks; visible brush strokes, sloppy edgework, etc. being the main concerns.

There are plenty of guides out there to painting plamo/gunpla, though, and I'm sure at least one of them mentions or uses a monoeye kit as a demonstration.

no offense but DUH I was gonna hand paint it silly. Whoever heard of spray painting a monoeye? also no grade sounds not fun at all I like to have my kits be poseable in some sense...
If you're not going to accept people's advice, you can rightly stop asking for it and ruin your kits on your own, you know. It is none of my business if you want your kit to look awful just because you're overly excited and refuse to practice technique.

Monoeyes often come pre-colored on larger kits, or have stickers on smaller ones anyway, so if you screw it up you can just cover it.
(Jan. 29, 2013  8:22 AM)Hazel Wrote: If you're not going to accept people's advice, you can rightly stop asking for it and ruin your kits on your own, you know. It is none of my business if you want your kit to look awful just because you're overly excited and refuse to practice technique.

Monoeyes often come pre-colored on larger kits, or have stickers on smaller ones anyway, so if you screw it up you can just cover it.

but I DO wanna learn I just said it be silly to spray paint I'm sorry if I sounded rude and looking back I do kinda no I AM rude and I am so so sorry its just moneys tight and I can't buy kits when ever i want I try to save money for like food and stuff....I just want my gouf to look good thats all I got some plastic runners from previous kits I'm using as guinea pigs to see what paints look good so I hope that helps...
Hey, I just got into Gundam and wanted to know... Is there any good kits, how good is Gundam, and if it is how much should I pay for 1 kit? Sorry if this isn't the right thread. Also, sorry to bring this back up.
(Dec. 22, 2013  5:10 PM)Galaxy Blade Wrote: Hey, I just got into Gundam and wanted to know... Is there any good kits, how good is Gundam, and if it is how much should I pay for 1 kit? Sorry if this isn't the right thread. Also, sorry to bring this back up.
Haha, I was about to ask the same thing.
I want to add in a little though. I have some experience with Gunplas. But the ones I made were mostly snap-fit models(1/35 Mechanic Collection Lancelot Conquista and 1/35 Vincent). I have also ordered an EVA-01 kit and a Gurren Lagann model.
But I have no experience with the ones that need cement or paint. So, yeah, which are some good kits to start with? And also, which are the toughest kits to build(in terms of number of parts)?
Sorry if this is the wrong thread.
(Dec. 22, 2013  6:10 PM)Justaway Wrote:
(Dec. 22, 2013  5:10 PM)Galaxy Blade Wrote: Hey, I just got into Gundam and wanted to know... Is there any good kits, how good is Gundam, and if it is how much should I pay for 1 kit? Sorry if this isn't the right thread. Also, sorry to bring this back up.
Haha, I was about to ask the same thing.
I want to add in a little though. I have some experience with Gunplas. But the ones I made were mostly snap-fit models(1/35 Mechanic Collection Lancelot Conquista and 1/35 Vincent). I have also ordered an EVA-01 kit and a Gurren Lagann model.
But I have no experience with the ones that need cement or paint. So, yeah, which are some good kits to start with? And also, which are the toughest kits to build(in terms of number of parts)?
Sorry if this is the wrong thread.
No grades and High Grades(1/144) are good starter kits. Master Grades(1/100) and Real Grades(1/144) are more intermediate level and Perfect Grades(1/60) are for Gunpla Experts. Pricewise HG are round $25-35USD, RG are around the HG price range, MG can be from $50-130USD, and PG are $150-400USD. Generally if a suit is popular or has a lot of extras like DRAGOONS, fin funnels, or Wings(Strike Freedom, Nu Gundam, Wing Zero) then it will cost a bit more than other suits of the same grade(RX-78 is generally the cheapest kit in each grade)
Here is a nice 4 part beginner tutorial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIvB95cV3...&index=109
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_tiv_FKU...&index=108
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoH6qnUfd...&index=107
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z-6amqQV...&index=106

Even though these video's are 2-3 years old they contain a lot of helpful information.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8F93D314D42A3C9F
Thanks Thresher. I think I'll practice with a couple of MG/RG models and then move on to the Perfect Grade ones. I'm quite interested in the one with 825 parts, so I'll probably buy that once I've gained enough experience.
Uh you should probably start with high grades rather than those. They are less complex and likely to break (yes I have broken a RG part)
I do have 4 kits that are almost like HG, so I don't think it should be a problem to start with MG.
id never met or heard of anyone else liking to build those gundam models back in the day. i went nuts over them and then when they stopped being in stores and got harder to find online i picked up some zoids kits, but the zoids just werent the same. i still have my gundam 1/100's & 1/144's sitting in my old room at my parents collecting dust

what i can remember in 1/144 i had:
tallgeese 3
tallgeese 2
heavy arms custom
sandrock whatever custom
gouf
ric dom (my fav 144)
aegis
serpent custom
and a custom one i put together with some left over pieces. it had a tallgeese head on a wing gundam body and legs with deathscythe arms
i had more 144's but some of them got lost, broken, or were cannibalized

1/100's:
wing gundam
deathscythe
shenlong or altron (the one with the dragon arms from the series, not endless waltz)
epyon
spiegel/shadow

i used testors paint on mine. id rub black paint into all the detailing and then buff it away
(Dec. 23, 2013  10:54 AM)Justaway Wrote: Thanks Thresher. I think I'll practice with a couple of MG/RG models and then move on to the Perfect Grade ones. I'm quite interested in the one with 825 parts, so I'll probably buy that once I've gained enough experience.

You should probably start with MGs first then RG. The concept is pretty much the same but RGs are pretty small and requires you to handle everything gently. I also started with MGs but since there are so many parts, it can be overwhelming.

-----------------------------------------

Anyone watching Gundam Build Fighters? That anime has made me itching for some customizing.
I have a picture of all the kits I've gotten since I started.
Luckily very few required any modification(I modified GP02's had to be able to hold the shield and used some plastic glue to make the ball socket on Nu's right hand slightly larger so it would hold any pose with its gun.) all of them except Red Frame(1/100 Non Grade) are 1/100 MG Kits.
Nice. I've gotten these recently:

HG 1/144 Jegan
HG 1/144 RX-78-2 and Zaku II set
MG 1/100 Rick Dias

I got an airbrush for christmas so i'm currently in the process of painting my MG Tallgeese in TV colours.
Sorry for necro-ing this thread. Anyone still interested in Gunpla kits? I've been wanting to start it as a hobby, but have a hard time choosing what kit to build as my first.
I regularly buy and build Gundams, but I have One Launch Man's help, so I do not really know what the best kit to start is. I would probably go for a 1/144 scale kit though, since they are smaller but sometimes have less pieces, I think.

Generally, I just go for Gundams that I really like rather than how hard they can be. However, I really want a Sinanju but I need Bandai to release a kit where the golden linings on the chest are not a sticker, otherwise I have to learn how to be super meticulous to be able to paint it directly.
I see. I'll go for a 1/144 Transient Gundam, those tridents look sick.
Just remember that the box shows an awesome design but that the actual model is often underwhelming if there are too many special effects hah. But in terms of difficulty, that one should be fine. White is also the easiest colour of piece to file the studs off, so it will look super good.
Yeah, I've watched several videos of it in YouTube. It seems good haha. You think so? Alright, excited to get it!! Thank you.
(Dec. 12, 2015  2:33 PM)xVaretyr Wrote: Sorry for necro-ing this thread. Anyone still interested in Gunpla kits? I've been wanting to start it as a hobby, but have a hard time choosing what kit to build as my first.

I think the general "starting" kit recently would be the 1/144 HG 00 or like, the 1/144 HG Age 1. Also, I find that any high grade outside of universal century starting after Seed is usually pretty easy and straight forward, so that's a plus.

Generally, difficulty isn't really a thing in gunpla, as the difference between HGs and MGs is really just part density/color separation. As Kai-V said, you can literally pick whatever design suits you fancy and go from there
(Dec. 12, 2015  2:33 PM)xVaretyr Wrote: Sorry for necro-ing this thread. Anyone still interested in Gunpla kits? I've been wanting to start it as a hobby, but have a hard time choosing what kit to build as my first.

What I always recommend for the first timers is the grand daddy of Gundam types, the RX-78 2 Gundam. While the HG (High Grade) are really basic, as many as HGs goes, you should aim for its MG (Master Grade) counter part especially the 3.0 version. It has some of the most amazing engineering into it since it is the only Gunpla that has multiple advancements to it. Not only that, the price set for it is also considerably fair compared to the newer HGs.

I also recommend getting hobby knife, an file or low grit sand sticks, and a good nipper from Tamiya.
Now, I must warn you that a good nipper is pretty expensive but, it save lives. Never use wire cutters or a nail clipper to cut pieces out or use your hobby nippers to cut wires or any other non plastic material. It doesn't work that way. It'll only make your life miserable.