Gundam Models

UGh this is embarassing but I kinda screwed up on my HGUC gogg and now its unbuildable ><:

Tell me has anyone else had this happen to them? I mean anyone? This took a huge blow to my confidence and now I am scared to even touch my MG 1/100 Gouf 2.0....This stinks ><; Oh well atleast I can salvage it and use it as a guinea pig for painting...

On another note next month I plan on getting the Juaggu and while I was talking to my mom she said this

"It looks like a heffalump"

So now When and I say when I ever get one I am SO gonna paint it up to be a heffalump...
That sucks man. Don't be too embarrassed though cause i'm sure a lot of first timers break them accidentally. For my first kit I made the mistake of getting MG and managed to lose/break a few of the parts. Gotta be careful with them since they're quite fragile. What exactly happened?
(Jan. 17, 2013  11:49 AM)Ultra Wrote: That sucks man. Don't be too embarrassed though cause i'm sure a lot of first timers break them accidentally. For my first kit I made the mistake of getting MG and managed to lose/break a few of the parts. Gotta be careful with them since they're quite fragile. What exactly happened?

It was the fingers I didn't realize what the instructions meant and I kinda pushed them in breaking the support pieces...well good news is everything is now built except the hands, gonna fix it up and give it to my mom for her to have at her desk so no big loss here

(Jan. 17, 2013  10:09 AM)Ultra Wrote:
(Jan. 15, 2013  7:35 PM)Manicben Wrote: ^ hehe, still working slowly on my RG RX-78-2. Also got some 1/144 MS Figures for my hangar setup.
But exams and school really do take a lot out of life... XD

You painting it then?

Well, depends on what you are referring to. The RX-78 I will not be painting, looks pretty good without paint (plus, I suck at paint and especially getting all the right colour mixes/blends). As for my hangar, I will be spray painting them and adding metal details to em (already got 1 chain base complete). The MS figures are so ridiculously small that I probably won't attempt to paint them until I get myself the right equipment and a higher skill level.

For first timers I would only say that being gentle with kits are the way to go if things are unclear. Forcing parts together, unless its obvious, should be a no go.

I luckily managed to complete my first kit, the RG Zaku II Char custom without any breakages or mishaps, despite some scratches or poorly sanded areas. The sad thing was, one day it was happily standing on my desk, when I knocked it off balance while doing homework. It fell behind my desk and was unharmed. EXCEPT FOR THE COMMANDER'S FIN. I managed to glue it back on, but now there's an obvious see-through line on the fin where they were glued together...

That truly was a sad day for model kits... But a lesson was learned from that:
Don't put finished kits on worktops or desks. I now keep them on a shelf were nothing can happen to em Grin

I'm only doing an out of the box build for now (it's nearly fully built) but then i'm going to do something about the nubs then I might paint in a few months. The many colours required by real grades are daunting and expensive. Looking at getting a HGUC GM 2 next which i'll buy the proper approved paint for (MR Hobby for those who don't know) so I can make it look good. Also I completely disagree with your policy of not putting them on desks. That's the best place to put them.
Bought my 1st MG a few months ago. Haven't built it yet, but when I find time, I am sure I am going to be very happy with my Heavy Arms Kai
You gonna paint it or just snap build it?
(Jan. 15, 2013  1:31 PM)Ultra Wrote: I guess i'm reviving this since my interest is returning after having purchased a RG Zaku II on ebay. Anyone else still like these?
never interested in zaku type actually..the only non-gundam mobile suit i like is sinanju (but too expensive)..haha
i once thinking of getting RG zeta...but in the end got the MG ver2.0 zeta..XD..shame,i were unable to get amuro ver zeta(white) since it is too much..looking forward to receive it soon..
now that my pre-ordered aegis mg has been received,i find transforming it into MA mode is really hard...looks retarded on my first try...XD

(Jan. 15, 2013  1:31 PM)Ultra Wrote: One thing i'm very happy about is that they're finally releasing a MG 1/100 Tallgeese this month! Finally. Only took forever for them to release one of the coolest MS' from Gundam Wing.
i sincerely hope they gonna release tallgeese 3 in MG...that would be second after sinanju..hahah
(Jan. 17, 2013  10:53 PM)Ultra Wrote: Also I completely disagree with your policy of not putting them on desks. That's the best place to put them.

Hehe, evidently you have not seen MY desk... Considering I live in a 2 square metre room, you can imagine the small size of it. Do not worry, once I am out of here, the first thing these models are doing will be their transition to an exclusive model desk. At least, that is what I hope for. I need working space especially for big builds and my hangar...

When you do out of box builds, do you not sort out nubs as you put parts together? I've always gotten rid of nubs as soon as the parts are off the sprues.
(Jan. 18, 2013  4:05 PM)Benjohadi Wrote:
(Jan. 15, 2013  1:31 PM)Ultra Wrote: I guess i'm reviving this since my interest is returning after having purchased a RG Zaku II on ebay. Anyone else still like these?
never interested in zaku type actually..the only non-gundam mobile suit i like is sinanju (but too expensive)..haha
i once thinking of getting RG zeta...but in the end got the MG ver2.0 zeta..XD..shame,i were unable to get amuro ver zeta(white) since it is too much..looking forward to receive it soon..
now that my pre-ordered aegis mg has been received,i find transforming it into MA mode is really hard...looks retarded on my first try...XD

(Jan. 15, 2013  1:31 PM)Ultra Wrote: One thing i'm very happy about is that they're finally releasing a MG 1/100 Tallgeese this month! Finally. Only took forever for them to release one of the coolest MS' from Gundam Wing.
i sincerely hope they gonna release tallgeese 3 in MG...that would be second after sinanju..hahah

Yeah I was looking at the Amuro ver of the Zeta on ebay today. All of the ones from Asia are really expensive. There's one in the UK for much cheaper. I've never liked the look of the Zeta though. Don't know what it is exactly I just dislike it. I'd never own a kit of it. I'm hoping that they'll release a MG version of the Leo now since the legs are very similar.

(Jan. 18, 2013  7:12 PM)Manicben Wrote:
(Jan. 17, 2013  10:53 PM)Ultra Wrote: Also I completely disagree with your policy of not putting them on desks. That's the best place to put them.

Hehe, evidently you have not seen MY desk... Considering I live in a 2 square metre room, you can imagine the small size of it. Do not worry, once I am out of here, the first thing these models are doing will be their transition to an exclusive model desk. At least, that is what I hope for. I need working space especially for big builds and my hangar...

When you do out of box builds, do you not sort out nubs as you put parts together? I've always gotten rid of nubs as soon as the parts are off the sprues.

I'm more preoccupied with the fun of building it. After that i'll get to the nubs. Might need to buy some sandpaper too which is why I put that off. Decided that i'm probably not going to paint my Zaku II in the official colours. At least not for a while. To get the official paint job i'd need to buy 8 different MR COLOUR paints. Luckily enough though i've found a UK based site which sells MR HOBBY paints which means I won't have to wait forever for the paints at least.
^ Link to UK seller? I would like to use Mr. Hobby paints, but I'm sticking with my Tamiya for now.
One thing I would love to have is some clear flat/gloss spray paint for topcoating. Thing is, because they are banned on air freight, they cannot be bought easily and cheap...
Anyone got any alternatives or use some kind of top coat? I heard Mr topcoat is good...
Here ya go:

http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/acrylic-...aints.html

Unfortunately they don't have top coat for the reason you just said.
(Jan. 18, 2013  7:29 PM)Ultra Wrote:
(Jan. 18, 2013  4:05 PM)Benjohadi Wrote:

Yeah I was looking at the Amuro ver of the Zeta on ebay today. All of the ones from Asia are really expensive. There's one in the UK for much cheaper. I've never liked the look of the Zeta though. Don't know what it is exactly I just dislike it. I'd never own a kit of it. I'm hoping that they'll release a MG version of the Leo now since the legs are very similar.
received my zeta earlier today..cant rsist the temptation..i built the upper part until waist unit...hahah...
honestly...its mobile suit form doesnt look that attractive..some how a slight modification of hyaku shiki...wave rider form is what attract me a lot...i intended to post it in wave rider mode..hahah..

oh yes..currently, i'm using 0.05mm potentate marker for lining...its sharp, but somehow the tip is very sensitive that the tip is easily spoiled by water(mostly moist from my hand)
any other recommendation marker for lining?

EDIT: my recently arrived zeta.. Eee
Nice. You gonna paint it?
I gonna leave it like that for the moment,,once i got time to do the lining, i will lining it..the lining could be a hard job...its bit finer that other modeel kit i had assembled..haha
I'm currently preparing my HGUC 1/144 Hy-gogg for painting. I'm getting rid of the seam lines and nub marks atm. Here's the kit if you're not familiar with it:

http://www.hlj.com/product/ban919251
(Jan. 23, 2013  1:43 PM)Ultra Wrote: I'm currently preparing my HGUC 1/144 Hy-gogg for painting. I'm getting rid of the seam lines and nub marks atm. Here's the kit if you're not familiar with it:

actually, how to get rid of those seam lines?so far i were just trying using sand paper and knifes..hahaha..also you guys have any better ways to remove or make the scar from any of the connecting plastics to the frame other than painting?
its quite a messy job repaint them all again..hahah
Pretty much just sandpaper with 2 grade (400 and 1000). There is modelling putty too which is then sanded once dry. There are some glue type substances which melt the plastics but i've never used those. Can you take a picture of it?
Question about the gouf well two to be exact

One what is the proper pronunciation of the name?

also model wise

how hard is it to paint the mono eye and if so what paint is recommended? I kinda want a glow in the dark/neon light eye...
(Jan. 23, 2013  7:30 PM)Clonetos Wrote: Question about the gouf well two to be exact

It should be like "goof".
It sounds like this: goof. Any paint that is clear should fine.
(Jan. 23, 2013  3:13 PM)Benjohadi Wrote:
(Jan. 23, 2013  1:43 PM)Ultra Wrote: I'm currently preparing my HGUC 1/144 Hy-gogg for painting. I'm getting rid of the seam lines and nub marks atm. Here's the kit if you're not familiar with it:

actually, how to get rid of those seam lines?so far i were just trying using sand paper and knifes..hahaha..also you guys have any better ways to remove or make the scar from any of the connecting plastics to the frame other than painting?

Proper nippers to make sure no nub exists on the clip -> increasingly fine sandpaper until scar is worn(but obviously not so much that you'd dent the plastic) -> coat of paint -> topcoat.

Paint thinners/adhesive removers are a risky gamble and even most highly experienced modellers do not use them. The putty solution is also a little iffy, but it will work well if you practice thoroughly before doing it on the main project.

Eliminates all seams, flash, scarring, etc.

(Jan. 23, 2013  7:30 PM)Clonetos Wrote: Question about the gouf well two to be exact

also model wise

how hard is it to paint the mono eye and if so what paint is recommended? I kinda want a glow in the dark/neon light eye...

If you're an inexperienced painter, starting off with fine details is an extremely bad idea; you'd be freehanding, which will not go well for you at all until you've gotten a lot of practice in.
(Jan. 24, 2013  1:53 AM)Hazel Wrote:
(Jan. 23, 2013  3:13 PM)Benjohadi Wrote:

Proper nippers to make sure no nub exists on the clip -> increasingly fine sandpaper until scar is worn(but obviously not so much that you'd dent the plastic) -> coat of paint -> topcoat.

Paint thinners/adhesive removers are a risky gamble and even most highly experienced modellers do not use them. The putty solution is also a little iffy, but it will work well if you practice thoroughly before doing it on the main project.

Eliminates all seams, flash, scarring, etc.

also model wise

If you're an inexperienced painter, starting off with fine details is an extremely bad idea; you'd be freehanding, which will not go well for you at all until you've gotten a lot of practice in.

How is putty iffy? I've never had any problem with it and i'm a complete beginner.
Putty can go wrong just as easily as it can work fantastically; it's entirely an issue of practicing and making sure it's completely dry, and if he's trying to avoid repainting, getting the right color can be a serious hassle.

Honestly, though, Hadi, it's really just going to be easier for you to repaint...
(Jan. 18, 2013  3:12 PM)Ultra Wrote: You gonna paint it or just snap build it?

Probably just snap build. I barley have time to build my kits, let alone paint them. And not only am I unequipped, but my skills as a painter are below mediocre at best. The best I can manage is decent looking pannel lines every so often, but panel linning requires a patince level and sense of avaliable time I simply do not have at present.