World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc.
Gundam Models - Printable Version

+- World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc. (https://worldbeyblade.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic Forums (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-General-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Gundam Models (/Thread-Gundam-Models)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Gundam Models - mdhvdukshsj - Nov. 11, 2007

I always wanted one of these things, but never got around to learning about them. I need something to fight my Big Daddy on my desk.

Can someone help me out, which to get, how much etc?

RE: Gundam Models - Ominous - Nov. 11, 2007

In 2004 I must have dropped down over $1,000 at the Asian hobby shop just because of my fascination with these things. Frankly, I didn't have much else to spend money on those days and didn't care about saving (who knows how much of that money went towards Brad). Oh to be young again...

The models are highly articulate dealies when fully constructed (no glue, paint, or other major tools necessary - though you can if you wish). Instructions on how to assemble them, while not translated, are still straightforward as they are almost completely visual - using diagrams and easy to reference symbols. I don't suggest getting models the suits that transform, really - as they seem rather flimsy (an example is Raider Gundam from SEED). Overall, they were amusing to build and have displayed, but that phase of me has since passed. For the kind to get, pick from a series that you enjoyed. Most of mine come from the SEED series.

Price depends on how much your hobby shop is willing to gouge you. I don't really like getting anything smaller than 1/100 size. Usually the grade (or price) helps you determine how intricate the model will be when fully constructed, as well as how many pieces are involved.

In Canadian currency, models can range from $20-$120, depending on the grade.

RE: Gundam Models - Elmo - Nov. 11, 2007

HG 1/144 scale models are my favorites. They're small, relatively cheap, are very detailed, and very pose-able.
I have a few crappy 1/144, and a few 1/100, as well as a 1/100 MG. The scale obviously shows how large they are. There are gundam models marked with nothing on the box, marked with HG (High Grade, which is more quality than models without the HG label), and marked with MG (Master Grade, more quality then HG)

Also, none of them are hard to build unless you neglect the instructions. It might take you a few hours or 30 minutes or so, depending on how many pieces there are in the frames.

RE: Gundam Models - mdhvdukshsj - Nov. 11, 2007

Ominous Wrote:In 2004 I must have dropped down over $1,000 at the Asian hobby shop just because of my fascination with these things. Frankly, I didn't have much else to spend money on those days and didn't care about saving (who knows how much of that money went towards Brad). Oh to be young again...

The models are highly articulate dealies when fully constructed (no glue, paint, or other major tools necessary - though you can if you wish). Instructions on how to assemble them, while not translated, are still straightforward as they are almost completely visual - using diagrams and easy to reference symbols. I don't suggest getting models the suits that transform, really - as they seem rather flimsy (an example is Raider Gundam from SEED). Overall, they were amusing to build and have displayed, but that phase of me has since passed. For the kind to get, pick from a series that you enjoyed. Most of mine come from the SEED series.

Price depends on how much your hobby shop is willing to gouge you. I don't really like getting anything smaller than 1/100 size. Usually the grade (or price) helps you determine how intricate the model will be when fully constructed, as well as how many pieces are involved.

In Canadian currency, models can range from $20-$120, depending on the grade.

I honestly have no idea where I could get these. Have any online sites?

Also, 20-120 CAD? So I can expect to pay about 500 USD, k.

China Town Smile

Elmo Wrote:China Town Smile

online sites

RE: Gundam Models - Bey Brad - Nov. 11, 2007

artie didn't you see the news today? all $100 USD will buy you know is the center of a toonie

[Image: toonie.gif]

damn do i miss the days of buying my Canadian slaves with my lunch money for the week

Lmao. I seriously believe the dollar will drop down in value that much, soon.
check which sites are trustworthy Chocked

Turn your head to the side and it looks like a dinosaur.

Anyway, just goolge for Gundam models, and you'll instantly come up with many sites where you can buy them.

And yes, I speculate that the Canadian dollar won't hold its value.

RE: Gundam Models - Bey Brad - Nov. 11, 2007

Oh, it won't, for sure.

http://www.hobbywave.com/plastic_models/gundam/mg/mg_zgmf_x10a_freedom_gundam.html

http://www.hobbywave.com/plastic_models/gundam/hg/scale_1_100/hg_gundam_deathscythe_hell_custom.html

So I wouldn't need to do any painting or work with cement with these, right? I understand markers help add detail...

No paint/cement needed. The pieces come pre-coloured, but you can use paint if you really want an extra sharp finish. Also, the pieces have pegs and rubber joints in order to connect them together. You just open the box and get to it.

RE: Gundam Models - Fleetscut - Nov. 11, 2007

i have the freedom you posted and had the deathsythe too at one point (for some reason all my kits from Wing disappeared) both are just snap together kits and require nothing more then snapping the pieces out of the frames. though i recommend having like a pocket knife or nail clippers or something handy cause usually when you try to force a few pieces out of the frame they sometimes break.

i have alot of models though alot from SEED/Destiny, and a number of other from a few different series. i generally look for the 1/100 series. for some reason i dont like the 1/144. i generally get mine at anime conventions but there are other places i sometimes get them from too.

markers do help for details but from my experience if your going to color an entire piece paint is better. the marker doesnt stick and rubs off alot

RE: Gundam Models - Juv - Nov. 11, 2007

I use to collect Gundam models ages ago, must have been like 6-8 years ago.

Here is a list of the latest and top selling models in Japan at the moment,

http://www.dannychoo.com/category/eng/13385561/toys-jp/Browse/Gundam+kits.html

Seems like you can buy them off amazon.jp but don't ask me how because I've never tried.

RE: Gundam Models - KoD PT - Nov. 11, 2007

You can visit this place if you want a good look at most Gundam's, close up of all their parts, etc:

http://www.dalong.net/

I'd go mostly for the 1/100 MG models as well. They're bigger, require little to no paint and are much more poseable. I'd love to try a PG model like this or this one as well.
I have a HG 1/144 scale Force impulse Gundam ZGMF-X56S/alpha model (got at an anime con), which had a bunch of parts that required painting, something I'm not so good at, although it still looks a lot better than if it had no paint at all. Also used a marker for the details, but like Fleetscut mentioned, it rubs off a lot (could've just been the one I used though).

Sometimes they release an upgrade of a model, which usually has the parts more accurate and looks better overall, so you might wanna check for those before deciding on which to buy. Here's two examples:

Destiny Gundam: http://www.dalong.net/review/mg/mg101/mg101_p.htm#p6

Destiny Gundam - Extreme Blast Mode: http://www.dalong.net/review/mg/mg101s/mg101s_p.htm

and

Strike Freedom Gundam: http://www.dalong.net/review/mg/m97/m97_p.htm

Strike Freedom Gundam - Full Burst Mode: http://www.dalong.net/review/mg/m97s/m97s_p.htm

I'm pretty sure you can get some Gundams in amazon.com, not just amazon.jp. Not sure if their prices are the best around though.

RE: Gundam Models - bugturtles - Nov. 11, 2007

You could try HLJ? They have models there.

RE: Gundam Models - Nic - Nov. 11, 2007

Fleetscut Wrote:though i recommend having like a pocket knife or nail clippers or something handy cause usually when you try to force a few pieces out of the frame they sometimes break.

Nail clippers FTW.

Don't force out. Cut out neatly. Any kind of forcing, even torsional, will put strain on the plastic, and this may change the tint to become whiter. At which point, even if you cut it off neatly, it'll still have a spot of white that's rather noticable.

I used to use a knife, but it's too unstable. Use either pliers or strong scissors to cut at least 1~2mm away from the connection point, then trim down first with nail clippers, then file off. It's helpful if your nailclipper has an attached file.

Also, I personally don't recommend you get anything HG and below. It's just... not worth it, as compared to the awesomeness of MG. I would recommend that you buy it in Japan if you can, or find a contact in japan who can buy it and ship it over... or yahoo japan? The price goes up heavily with import costs. A 1/100MG set should not cost over 2500 yen; at least that was the standard pricing the last time I visited. Can't remember offhand the prices of the rest. 1/72 is generally the most worthwhile type, since they usually have more detail (heck, even the fingers are articulated) and should be about 5000 yen or so.

If you're having problems with marker coming off... I hope you're not using normal ink markers. If you use paint markets, you'll have to wait for it to dry. I've a friend who uses ink, and with a toothpick carefully goes through lines and such to accent them. Personally, I don't go for fine detail work, but when I recolour, I do it as an entire piece. I use spraypaint, two layers, one for colour and a transparent layer for protection.

ho carp i found a Destiny Gundam - Extreme Blast Mode on YJA for 5,000 yen

*bids*

RE: Gundam Models - Tototototototo - Nov. 11, 2007

You're a Gundam fan? Why haven't we talked about this? Dude, I used to build models all the time. It takes some serious work to make them look good, but it's worth it in the end. My favorite one I owned was an MG Burning Gundam I bought when I was twelve. Although the colors come with it, you should buy spray paints and other stuff to make them look really cool.

i wanna get some of the kits from Gundam00. anyone know if theyre out already? or when they do?

If you live near Toronto (referring to anyone), visit Anime X shop in China Town. I has loads of Gundams, and they are nicely priced ^^

RE: Gundam Models - Kei - Nov. 11, 2007

Elmo Wrote:If you live near Toronto (referring to anyone), visit Anime X shop in China Town. I has loads of Gundams, and they are nicely priced ^^

Also, the store "One's" in Vaughn Mills Mall has TONS of Gundam Models.

i go to the place in pmall. cant remember the name of the shop but i remember where it is

RE: Gundam Models - Dranzer206 - Nov. 11, 2007

Do you guys know that there is a new Gundam out it is called Gundam 00