Getting Bullied in school, or other places? Tell your stories!

Having read most of the posts submitted in the last few hours, there are several things I need to clarify :

Religion and politics still cannot be discussed, as stipulated in our core rules. If you got bullied because of your religion, only write it like that, without any implications or details.

It is OK to discuss bullying in general. Movies are only done out of sensational events, but obviously nobody would ever recommend reproducing the actions of those killers. It is a fact that things can escalate, and everyone in this topic should simply be advocating peaceful resolution like talking to an adult, while still neutrally telling the facts.

Everybody needs to stop being so hyper-sensitive. Stop all this fighting, do not take posts personally when you could just ignore them and lower your heart-rate ... Some messages can be ignored.

Anybody who will continue fighting or disrespecting members will get warned.
Okay, I'm going to revive this thread. So I was at the library today and since I finished my work early, I decided to use the computer to relax. I went on this site and Facebook and the guy beside me apparently has Facebook too, so he asked me if we can add each other on FB, and I thought this could be an opportunity to make a new friend, so I added him. I went home and he was being annoying by asking me personal questions and being nosy. Long story short, I just blocked him and hoped that I won't see him the next time I visit and that he didn't see this website.
I had a guy in my class today that was just too unbearable. He kept doing a very annoying tapping sound with his pencil. I asked him nicely if he could stop with tapping his pencil. He then said a phrase which I am not gonna repeat, but then he tapped the pencil more to get on my nerves and then flipped me off. I then snatched the pencil out of his hand (which was apparently the only one he had), snapped it in half, and threw it in the trash. I stayed calm about it because I was feeling depressed and suicidal at the moment (from a medication), and didn't wanna make things worse for him or myself...
The way you reacted to it only seems to have provoked it, from what I can tell from what you've said at least. I don't know what sentence he said, but reacting the way you did could cause problems in the future. Calm cool and collect. Snapping the pencil is not calm. In the person's mind, it's sort of a 1 up deal. He was purposely getting on your nerves, and you reacted in a way he wanted. It only escalates from there.

I just want to say, and this is not a personal attack or anything, but someone tapping a pencil to be annoying is not really a form of bullying. Flipping you off and his sentence takes it too far, but you asked once and asking twice or overreacting contributes to the 1 up thing, which means you're the reason it continues. Flipped off means back off.
I've reacted significantly worse under an almost identical situation, but yeah, I have learnt that reacting in that way only makes things worse. That said, if you stayed calm, it wasn't too bad a reaction, but ignoring him and reporting it to a teacher (especially after the class finishes and everyone leaves) is generally a better idea. Also good to ask the teacher to be discrete about it.
It's good when a psychology student backs that up DefStamina88, haha.
I'm actually homeschooled, so I don't get bullied at school, that's for sure.

I'm actually a black belt in karate, and I know when to fight and when to just walk away. When I was younger, some kid at the basketball court, who was way older than I was (I was six at the time, I think, and he's probably as old as I am now: 13) and he said that I was a loser and I couldn't shoot. And I told him that it wasn't his place to tell me that. Then he hit me over the head with his basketball, and I got hurt, but I wasn't crying or anything. I was just dazed a bit. So I grabbed a picture of him on my phone, then he heard it, then I ran towards my grandparent's apartment, and then he told me to delete it. I told him that he had no right to tell me to do that. But eventually I did, then he ran off.

He never came back to the court again, as far to my knowledge, since my grandma and my grandpa live with us now. But I do know his name is Zach.

It doesn't bother me anymore. It just annoys me that there are still people like that out there. But I do know how to deal with bullies.
(Jan. 13, 2012  6:06 AM)Shabalabadoo Wrote: You had a cell phone when you were 6?

America.
(Jan. 13, 2012  6:13 AM)Hazel Wrote:
(Jan. 13, 2012  6:06 AM)Shabalabadoo Wrote: You had a cell phone when you were 6?

America.

Its better than being given a broom and 1 slippy shoe at 6, and far better than handing a toddler two razor sharp skates and a stick.
(Jan. 13, 2012  6:13 AM)Hazel Wrote:

America.
I have heard of kids having cell phones as young as 3. There are circumstances such as nasty divorces where it becomes the only means of communication with their child.
Ive never been bullied but i stand up for those who are. I flipped a bully once, then he stopped
pre-school as hell for me, i got bullied for being asian and being overweight and this went on till year 3... i was told to not do anything and the bully would go away, but he didnt so i finally had enough of it, so i bashed the c***t ... then when the teachers found out that i bashed this kid i got in trouble and he didnt. but at least after that he stopped bullying me
I'm not bullied, but I am rivals with the people who are supposed to be my friends at school. I'm also constantly patronized by them for liking Beyblade, even to the point that they get so obsessed about teasing my for that, that they make fools of themselves for singing "BEYBLADE, BEYBLADE, LET IT RIP" all the time in class.

What sucks is that I made awful grades in school a few years ago so they pulled me into special education, but that was when I was on heavy drugs for ADHD, and they had a negative effect on me and payed even less attention. Well now I'm in 7th Grade and I'm making very good grades, but the school board is refusing to put me in normal classes. What's most unfair about that is that all the slackers who don't make good grades are in at least one normal class, while I'm still in all SPED classes despite doing great. I was bullied for being in there a lot in 6th Grade.
Bullies don't really exist in my area, only gangs. So the only time there are fights or anything, is when there's some sort of beef between two of them. And there's a lot of them. Tongue_out
(Jan. 14, 2012  5:43 AM)Harkins Wrote: I'm not bullied, but I am rivals with the people who are supposed to be my friends at school. I'm also constantly patronized by them for liking Beyblade, even to the point that they get so obsessed about teasing my for that, that they make fools of themselves for singing "BEYBLADE, BEYBLADE, LET IT RIP" all the time in class.

What sucks is that I made awful grades in school a few years ago so they pulled me into special education, but that was when I was on heavy drugs for ADHD, and they had a negative effect on me and payed even less attention. Well now I'm in 7th Grade and I'm making very good grades, but the school board is refusing to put me in normal classes. What's most unfair about that is that all the slackers who don't make good grades are in at least one normal class, while I'm still in all SPED classes despite doing great. I was bullied for being in there a lot in 6th Grade.
I would never complain about getting a free pass through school. Special Ed classes are viewed as the same as standard classes on a high school transcripts so you have the opportunity to get amazing grades for college while relaxing enough so you don't stress yourself out. I was in special Ed with A's and I fought to get out of it. Now I can't go to NYU because my grades tanked after the switch.

I get teased at work all the time for liking Beyblade, even though I haven't played since November. I openly admit I'm a nerd and that I could care less about fitting in. After a while, my manager (who is the biggest culprit) says that it was cool that I play Beyblade and that I was so into it. It's important that are true to yourself.

You should turn to your friends and say with a hint of sarcasm "omg guys, that's my favourite song! You're all such talent singers, you should be singing to intro instead." How much you want to bet that if pointed out that they seem more obsessed with Beyblade (via teasing) than you are, they'd stop? Also, if it's hurting you, they aren't your friends.
That is good advice Deikailo. It is good to make fun of people making fun of you. There is this book series called NERDS and it shows a lot about bullying, but it also has a spy/humor theme. Okay that was off-topic. Anyways, you can't overreact, because there are some problems that you are probably capable of handling yourself. If you tell on somebody for stupid reasons, that will make you a tattletale, and you will just get bullied more. I don't think that I have ever been bullied before, and bullying is not a big issue at our school. But a lot of SPED kids do get bullied, like Harkins said. Also the kids who are just a little different( maybe because they collect Transformers toys or are in the chess club. Some kids even get bullied because they still like Pokemon) get bullied even though they have several good qualities. It is not fair. Some kids at some schools get bullied for being smart, but people respect you(like meSmile) if you are extremely intelligent.
So on deviantArt I've been witnessing a series of journals one person is making, apparently she is being charged with assault for retaliating against a group of harassers and stalkers. =/

Or so the way everything's worded she is.
Of course there is a proper way to react to such things ... If she did end up assaulting them, she might deserve it. I would not be surprised if she had never even reported them first ...
(Jan. 14, 2012  7:40 PM)Vulcan Blaze Wrote: It is good to make fun of people making fun of you.

If there is a single worse course of action than this mindset, I cannot think of it. The best thing one can do to verbal taunting is simply ignore it or report it.
(Jan. 14, 2012  6:09 PM)Deikailo Wrote: I would never complain about getting a free pass through school. Special Ed classes are viewed as the same as standard classes on a high school transcripts so you have the opportunity to get amazing grades for college while relaxing enough so you don't stress yourself out. I was in special Ed with A's and I fought to get out of it. Now I can't go to NYU because my grades tanked after the switch.

One should never settle for an inferior education with the intention of skating through school - if you can't cut the grade in junior highschool regular classes, you will absolutely not survive in college classes. I'm also not sure where you got the idea that special ed is not taken into consideration for college applications, because it most definitely is. Having a full roster of remedial classes instead of regular classes will make it much more difficult to get into any university worth its salt and, at the very least, will often necessitate several more credit hours in undergrad.
(Jan. 14, 2012  8:30 PM)Hazel Wrote: One should never settle for an inferior education with the intention of skating through school - if you can't cut the grade in junior highschool regular classes, you will absolutely not survive in college classes. I'm also not sure where you got the idea that special ed is not taken into consideration for college applications, because it most definitely is. Having a full roster of remedial classes instead of regular classes will make it much more difficult to get into any university worth its salt and, at the very least, will often necessitate several more credit hours in undergrad.
High school is a joke anyway. It's a repeat of a middle school education on a different level and very little of it you're going to actually apply outside of high school. High school is just exercising your brain and preparing you for scheduling your time responsibly. Once you leave high school, every teacher will tell you this is the truth. Good grades just means you can understand what was given to you and you are reliable enough to follow through with the tasks given. If you don't actively put to practice any of the information you've been given in high school or middle school, you're going to forget it a year later.

Also, special education classes ARE listed as standard courses. I have been told this in all five school that I have attended and ALL of my grades were absolutely treated as standard classes when I was accepted into college. Special ed classes are generally just a smaller group of kids with special needs that are being addressed attentively by a teacher and a teacher's assistant.

By becoming a special needs student, you gain an IEP (individualized education plan), which by law, has to carry over into college as requested. They can, however, amend if any of the accommodations do not fit under "reasonable". For example, it is doubtful that they will let me listen to my music during tests and state exams like they did in high school.

I spent a good 5 years learning this system. I know exactly what I'm talking about.
My last school, North Marshall, was horrible! Everyone, i repeat, EVERYONE except most of the teachers hate me! they called me carp, gay wad, mother f***er, you name it and i promise they called me it at least once! not only was it hurting me socially and made me depressed! But don't start thinking,"Oh, well, all that matters is that he was making good grades!" Well, it was affecting my grades too! We also went to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital and found out that I had A.D.H.D. in attentive form (basically A.D.D.)! So after they put me on a medication for the attention problems they also decided to put me in a new, better school. That school is the school I'm at currently, Christian Fellowship School. It's a private school, so we have to pay a certain amount every semester. But, my grades are higher, the students there are really nice, and the teachers are also very nice! Another thing is that it is a Christian school so we have a bible class for a grade, and chapel service every tuesday! Plus, we get fridays off (gotta love that). So, in a nutshell, it's perfect!
Implying that the education you gain in highschool isn't valuable for college is just absurd - and fundamentally flawed, since many college courses start off at a point that is at least after a portion of the course you would have learned in the High School years. I mean, yes, one can theoretically attend remedial college courses or go to a community college to get refreshers, but that is both a waste of time and money if you simply dedicate the effort toward your actual education. Moreover, given that barely any hand-holding occurs within a college setting, neglecting the information and time management skills High School is intended to offer will cause further issue, for most people.

Special ed classes do not teach the same material as other classes their grade, and while it is mandated that IEP carry over, it is certainly not mandated that a college completely overlook the fact that you received an inferior education. You will be treated and handled differently for having those marks on your transcript, and that is the simple fact of it. In Communtiy Colleges, they tend not to care about anything at all, and actually quite often overlook even the most fatally flawed transcripts - but any application to a serious university, let alone any chances at getting a good scholarship to a serious university, will be scrutinized considerably more thoroughly.

Once you're out of highschool, even with an IEP, the university you are applying to's regulations and procedures take over completely. Many universities have departments for special education placement, and if you had a special needs course roster in High School, you will more than likely be planted in one in College, which WILL slow down your education, as opposed to actually applying yourself in highschool and doing what is necessary to keep up with the mainstream population.

It is an absolute fact that the fastest way to a scholarship, the best way into a good college, and the best way to ensure oneself a proper education is to apply themselves, not coast through like it doesn't matter.

If you're someone who actually needs special needs courses, that is one thing. If you are someone exploiting them to cruise through and think you're doing yourself a favor, you are disgusting.

Oh, and, furthermore: If your grades tanked in regular highschool courses - which you yourself claim are a "joke" - do you genuinely anticipate success in an environment that is considerably more stressful and critical?
The thing is what I hate the most about being in Special Education/"Small Group" is being with the same group of jerky kids all day long. Also, you can still be in normal classes and have an IEP. What ticks me off about my school is segregation for SPED, for example; SPED pods in the school, making us sit at the overflow table and not letting us socialize with anyone else there, having a parapro stalk us all day. They make such a big deal out of that just for having ADD/ADHD/Autism/Aspergers, dyslexia, and/or difficulties with dealing with large groups of people. It's like they think we're going to kill someone if they're not constantly watching us like a hawk.
By the way, this topic is about getting bullied in school, not about special education or whatever ...