Getting Bullied in school, or other places? Tell your stories!

(Dec. 03, 2011  9:41 PM)Whatzzer Wrote: So now,in my new school,I just need to behave goodly,become a prefect,and I think my bully problems would be over.Hitsugiya:-How am I supposed to enjoy bully?

being a prefect would be good so that no one can bully you..but dont miss use your power..
dont be too upset for your admission to your desired school..continueing in st. joseph is not bad too..

(Dec. 03, 2011  11:13 PM)hitsugiya Wrote:
(Dec. 03, 2011  9:41 PM)Whatzzer Wrote: So now,in my new school,I just need to behave goodly,become a prefect,and I think my bully problems would be over.Hitsugiya:-How am I supposed to enjoy bully?
Embrace the pain. It's easy for me, I bite myself every so often.
but its not healthy mentally and physically...you are hurting yourself by doing that..

Nah, I was just kidding. But I only snitch as a last resort.
First, you have to figure out why bullies are bullies, most bullies are insecure about something, so they bury their pain on someone smaller than them. They probably get bullied or abused at home, so you just have to put yourself in their shoes. But srsly, saying, "their just kids" is, no offence, kinda idiotic. Because if you are a kid and the bully is the same age as you, then it's hard to handle, and easy for adults to say that their just kids. And telling an adult is never easy, the best way you can get rid of a bully is simply, standing up for yourself. People like this don't suddenly change after a lecture, NO! You can't negotiate with them, you can't beg them, you can't bribe them! You have to show how strong at heart you are and by giving them a punch, and simply telling them "I don't take **** from people like you!"

That is the worst, most played-out, idiotic advice anyone has ever given anyone else. Advice like that is exactly why I am against this thread's existence.

"Stick your face in the gunbarrel of this tank while I test the firing controls" is possibly more stupid, but I do not think it has ever happened.
Violence is never a good answer.

Dealing with bullies should be done on a case by case basis. It gets more complicated as you get older, but there is no one general answer for ending harassment.
A long time ago when I attended primary school there was this one kid that used to bully and beat me up called Jake. I talked to teachers and my parents but there was never much they could do about it and I used to cop the same bullying from him. I decided to take up karate and avoid him as much as I could. Luckily I managed to avoid his bullying for almost a year and after taking up karate I was stronger, happier and more disciplined. Then like the cliched ending of any movie I was faced with a situation where I had to confront him. It was in Japanese class (ironically lol) and he started harassing me, little punches and insulting me, etc. Everyone else in the class was watching indifferently because they had all been subjected to Jake's bullying. I was trying to keep myself calm but once he had me in a headlock and it seriously started to hurt I punched him in the stomach as hard as I could and as he doubled over punched him in the face until he dropped to the ground sobbing. Everyone was in shock including the teacher who had no idea what to do (hopeless old bat she was). I was suspended and would probably have been expelled if it wasn't for the previous bullying I had copped from Jake. Funnily enough I became quite good friends with Jake after that and learnt a lot about him. He had a pretty tough life for a kid, his parents paid very little attention to him, he lived in a very rough neighborhood and wasn't very well off in terms of money. I learnt about all the times he got kicked out of other schools and how he had difficulty making friends after coming from such a troubled background. I felt somewhat guilty about beating him up and made an effort to stay close friends with him. Another negative came out of this whole situation and that was people seemed to fear me. There was definitely a period of time when I was a bully and no better than Jake was. Karate had also made me very angry and by the time I had finished primary school I had been involved in a number of fights.

If I could go back in time I think I would have changed what I did and instead confront him without violence and befriend him if possible. It's important to stand up for yourself but letting your anger controll you is always a mistake.
(Dec. 03, 2011  9:10 PM)Whatzzer Wrote: I'm mentally bullied.That is the problem.
Some people on the WBO would think that being mentally bullied is pretty much nothing since they just tease you to make you feel smaller. Well, the answer is NO!!!! Once you keep ignoring them or tell the teacher, they'll for sure move on to PHYSICAL bullying then things will get serious so you might've as well tell an adult
Another thing, it was on the news last week there was a kid and he kept getting teased (this is called mentally bullying) then he ignored, they kept going and started teasing him very bad names which i can not state, but he told his mum but his mum said dont worry just ignore, then they moved on to beating him (this is called physical bullying) and then this went on every day, until one day the mother called up the teachers, they done nothing and same with the principal, so the mother her self went up to the principal, he didnt do anything, so then one of them punched him (i forgot where) and he died
(Dec. 03, 2011  11:47 PM)Hazel Wrote: That is the worst, most played-out, idiotic advice anyone has ever given anyone else. Advice like that is exactly why I am against this thread's existence.

"Stick your face in the gunbarrel of this tank while I test the firing controls" is possibly more stupid, but I do not think it has ever happened.
Ignoring it will never get you anywhere... Like if you ignore it, then they take advantage of you because they know that you're weak and won't stand up for yourself. Telling an adult could potentially help but if the bully is the type that's ignorant and a rebellious "bad boy/girl" they won't even listen to the person lecturing. I mean seriously, have you ever been bullied before?? The way I handle it is usually by scaring them or by showing that I'm not weak. I mean you don't have to hit them, only when it comes to it, but you can just scare them or prove to them that you're not a victim.

(Dec. 03, 2011  8:38 PM)Whatzzer Wrote: Thanks everybody!Maybe I should try that technique next year,but ignoring just makes them worser.

think of it this way, a bully is like a rubber band right? and you ignoring them (or whatever you can do to "pause" their torment at the moment) is like pulling the rubber band. but the more you pull, the harder it becomes to pull right? so you just have to keep pulling until that rubber band breaks. then you will be free form that person (temporarily or permanently, i cant give you the answer to that)
Knowing enough about Hazel's life, he had enough issues that would dwarf bullying by comparison. If all he had to worry about was bullying, life would be a walk in the park.

There are different types of ignoring. It's best to recognize that you're being pestered, but the more time you invest in a response, the more you are revealing about yourself. You don't have to prove anything to anybody except yourself. If you act out about it, then it is as good as admitting there is truth to what they are saying.
There's this kid that goes to my school named Greg Gruschow. I first met him last year at the start of 6th grade when he started to annoy me. I'm not the only victim of his, though; he annoys pretty much everybody else. He constantly wants me to watch YouTube videos, asking me the next day, 'Did you see <video>?' It gets extremely annoying. He also insists that he hates me (though he used to call me his best [and only] friend; long story), and I have all of 5 classes with him.

All of my friends and I agree that this is bullying, since it's repeated and we don't like it. I've tried every trick in the book, from ignoring him to telling the teacher. This has been going on for a little under a year and a half, and my parents are worried that one day I'll just snap and be suspended from school or something.
Kaiba, have you mentioned this to your school principal? If you have, the best thing to do is actually snap. Just next time he says something that is just really off the wall that could get him into trouble, yell at him and make sure when you're yelling, it's disruptive. As you're yelling, express how you feel like you're being victimized and you can't focus on what's important because he's an emotional hindrance.

I have done this before with much success. It's a last resort option and ONLY do this if you've brought this to every possible authority figure to no avail.

I know when this kid Truman stole my Pokemon cards in third grade, I complained to the principal and she separated us.
Telling the Vice Principal is probably the next step - and one that I would do with your parents. (The VP is usually the person directly responsible for overseeing disciplinary issues.) You would be surprised how quickly things like this can get sorted out when an adult starts quoting regulations on harassment from the student code of conduct, and asking the VP why that code is not being enforced...
Okay, This thread may be a haven for the bullied. Think about that.
Cyberbullying is over-hyped, at least where I am. Not that I don't see what effect it could have on someone, but I honestly think the trend only started after some people started worrying about it, and the idea for most was taken from that.

But this thread is far from pointless. Even if it only gives people somewhere to talk about it, it's healthy for them.
A girl killed herself a few days ago in the province of Québec after being bullied. You cannot just say that this is pointless and expect to keep an appropriate reputation ...
(Dec. 04, 2011  7:37 PM)Kai-V Wrote: A girl killed herself a few days ago in the province of Québec after being bullied. You cannot just say that this is pointless and expect to keep an appropriate reputation ...
Expanding on this, if anyone from the WBO remembers when I was admitted into a psych ward, it would largely because kids and teachers were picking on me in school. I had one teacher whose kid whose kid was in the same class and this kid picked on me. His parent (our teacher) would follow suit and back him up.

I failed a majority of my classes that year and sunk into such a deep depression by high school that I would not even get out of bed and questioned life...

Bullying at school is most definitely serious. You can avoid a majority of it if you play your cards right, but it will still eat away at you. Cyber bullying can be just as bad since anonymous attacks are just as frightening if not even more effective because it can be anyone.
Yeah, I probably under-estimate cyber bullying because it was not something particularly effective on me, the one time it was attempted, and I guess it probably is big now, though I still feel it only grew into this because of all the fuss around it, and then people thinking "hey that would be a great way to mess with someone"

If you're getting threatening phone calls or the like, going to the police will generally sort it out, as outside of the schoolyard, they are the authority. They can work out who called, and pay a visit/place a phone call themselves. If you do know who it is, you should probably take it up with the school first, but that behaviour is not a breach of school rules, it is a breach of the law.
(Dec. 04, 2011  10:56 PM)th!nk Wrote: Yeah, I probably under-estimate cyber bullying because it was not something particularly effective on me, the one time it was attempted, and I guess it probably is big now, though I still feel it only grew into this because of all the fuss around it, and then people thinking "hey that would be a great way to mess with someone"

If you're getting threatening phone calls or the like, going to the police will generally sort it out, as outside of the schoolyard, they are the authority. They can work out who called, and pay a visit/place a phone call themselves. If you do know who it is, you should probably take it up with the school first, but that behaviour is not a breach of school rules, it is a breach of the law.
If everyone is just messaging someone over else over a networking site with facebook saying harmful remarks, it's not like the police can just say "play nice" when the first amendment protects them (at least in the states).
When I was in elementary school I used to be the quiet kid who was always picked on, because I didn't seem like the person to do anything about it. I was told "Nobody liked me" or that I "Was a loser". My teacher did absolutely nothing to stop this and even encouraged them to do this. If I ever slipped up she would always be the first to laugh at me.

What I did was I mentally cheered myself on with words like, "I like myself" and with those words I began to grow in my self confidence, until finally I managed to ignore the others around me.

My sister was bullied too, and ended up fitting in with the wrong crowd. They called her ugly and they actually threatened to pour acid on her face! Finally my sister just yelled at them;it turns out that bully could dish it out but couldn't take it, and ended up backing off
My parents always told me that if I got bullied I should hit back . And that if they were verbally bullying me to try to ignore them, and if it gets bad tell an adult, and I believe that's the best advice.
There was this movie called "The Cyberbully" and Emily Osment stars in it. At first, it's really frightening the way people harrassed her and the principal couldn't do anything because he was like "whatever they do on the computer is none of my business", the police only dealt with violence, and the parents of the bully said "this was a free country, she has every right to bully her", all of them made the movie scary, even scarier than horror movies. So that was acctually the scariest movie I've seen.
(Dec. 04, 2011  11:11 PM)Deikailo Wrote:
(Dec. 04, 2011  10:56 PM)th!nk Wrote: Yeah, I probably under-estimate cyber bullying because it was not something particularly effective on me, the one time it was attempted, and I guess it probably is big now, though I still feel it only grew into this because of all the fuss around it, and then people thinking "hey that would be a great way to mess with someone"

If everyone is just messaging someone over else over a networking site with facebook saying harmful remarks, it's not like the police can just say "play nice" when the first amendment protects them (at least in the states).

If they are doing it directly at you and repeatedly, I would think you have anti-harassment laws to cover that kind of thing.

That said, I've already said I do not have all the answers for bullying. I don't really know how it stopped happening to me, late in my schooling.
(Dec. 04, 2011  11:12 PM)Cookies^^ Wrote: There was this movie called "The Cyberbully" and Emily Osment stars in it. At first, it's really frightening the way people harrassed her and the principal couldn't do anything because he was like "whatever they do on the computer is none of my business", the police only dealt with violence, and the parents of the bully said "this was a free country, she has every right to bully her", all of them made the movie scary, even scarier than horror movies. So that was acctually the scariest movie I've seen.

That movie was a hideous abomination and massive over-portrayal of actual real life cyber-bullying 99% of the population will encounter. Not to mention hilarious due to terrible over-acting. Fear-mongering, basically, is what the whole thing was. It really seemed to be actively mocking itself.

Social networking sites have pretty much brought this kind of behavior on themselves - but blame still lies primarily with the parents.
(Dec. 03, 2011  6:00 AM)BeybladeStation Wrote: If it's bullying for the game of Beyblade, it really is not "bullying".

Honestly, the thing about today's society (at least in the U.S. when I last checked) is that kids don't want to "tell" on another peer. It ruins having friends, I would know. It happened two years ago, and as far as I am concerned, it's hard now to tell on other kids because it's considered "snitching".

There's not really a true definition of a snitch. People say that a snitch is when you tell on them, but it's actually invented by a type of peer pressure. Since everybody wants to fit in, no one's going to "snitch" so if there was a serious problem, for example, some one stole something from somewhere, and one individual knows who it is. He/she won't tell because if he/she does, they'll get called a snitch. But, if they're going to snitch, the only people that will call them that are their fake friends. So basically, people only call you a snitch if it's related to them or their friends, which makes them biased.

we watched this movie "to save a life" in theology (only because it had a catholic message in it and what not[catholic schools....smh]). it was about this kid who risked his life for the protagonist when they were younger and were "besties" as they say today by jumping in front of a car for the pro. then they flash forward to high school and the kid who risked his life now has a limp and a leg brace and they make fun of him for it while he pretends it doesn't bother him. about a couple minutes later in the film the kid w the brace comes into the school with a gun, fires 3 shots in the air and the pro. tries to reason with him then the kid with the gun puts the gun in his mouth and blows his brains out. the pro. only feels guilty because its their senior year and in freshman year after the pro. wins a basketball game and the popular kids invite him to a party and not the kid with the limp, and they grew further and further apart since.

sitting there watching this i thought that nobody in the world is that stupid as to make fun of a handicapped person and then i realized that they are still kids and probably haven't developed a good enough conscience yet to tell them you cant "diss" the handicapped.

therefore if you are being bullied go to my post in this thread towards the bottom of page 3 and read my analogy for the rubber band with the fact that these kids don't care who they make fun of.