General Competitive Pokemon Topic

(Jun. 08, 2014  8:09 PM)Cake Wrote:
(Jun. 08, 2014  6:37 PM)King E.Emperor Wrote: Thatis true,but those pokemon are event only.We would most likely see parties of Mespirit,Moltres,Zekrom,Giratina,etc...These pokemon are easily obtainable through regular game events.After awhile,people would go back to regular because regular pokemon could easily destroy legendaries with one hit!
Hey guys,im just saying,not arguingTongue_out

wut

If by "regular Pokemon" you mean Speed Boost Blaziken in Gen 5, then yes, it did destroy most Legendaries in one hit. I'm pretty sure the only things that scared it were Giratina and maybe Kyogre.

Also I can think of a bunch of Legendaries that can beat Infernape. Giratina, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Landorus, and probably a lot of others. Flash Fire Chandelure will also stop your Infernape cold in its tracks. It would be a good idea to teach it Stone Edge or Night Slash instead of Blast Burn to deal with it.
(Jun. 08, 2014  8:58 PM)Woumb@ Wrote:
(Jun. 08, 2014  8:09 PM)Cake Wrote:
(Jun. 08, 2014  6:37 PM)King E.Emperor Wrote: Thatis true,but those pokemon are event only.We would most likely see parties of Mespirit,Moltres,Zekrom,Giratina,etc...These pokemon are easily obtainable through regular game events.After awhile,people would go back to regular because regular pokemon could easily destroy legendaries with one hit!
Hey guys,im just saying,not arguingTongue_out

wut

If by "regular Pokemon" you mean Speed Boost Blaziken in Gen 5, then yes, it did destroy most Legendaries in one hit. I'm pretty sure the only things that scared it were Giratina and maybe Kyogre.

Also I can think of a bunch of Legendaries that can beat Infernape. Giratina, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Landorus, and probably a lot of others. Flash Fire Chandelure will also stop your Infernape cold in its tracks. It would be a good idea to teach it Stone Edge or Night Slash instead of Blast Burn to deal with it.

I'll do night slash!Actually,Infernape KO'ed my Giratina!Thanks for letting me know!Night Slash is a great idea!
(Jun. 08, 2014  6:37 PM)King E.Emperor Wrote: We would most likely see parties of Mespirit,Moltres,Zekrom,Giratina,etc...These pokemon are easily obtainable through regular game events

Honestly, the legendary Pokemon in the "uber" tier (thanks smogon...) are there because using them, even a mediocre player they can wreak absolute havoc by spamming draco meteor and psystrike.

Zekrom, Giratina, Reshiram, Mewtwo etc can easily tear through a fairly well-experienced balanced non-legendary team. Mewtwo could solo tbh.
You have no idea how many times I have battled over WiFi and had people who use mega mewtwo X or Y Tired
(Jun. 08, 2014  10:32 PM)Flambo. Wrote: You have no idea how many times I have battled over WiFi and had people who use mega mewtwo X or Y Tired

I have that same problem, except with Kangaskhan. Those things are everywhere and it gets annoying constantly having to bring Cofagrigus to counter them.

I've actually made an "Anti-team team" that has Pokemon that counter Mega Kangaskhan, Talonflame, Wash Rotom, etc.
(Jun. 08, 2014  10:39 PM)Woumb@ Wrote:
(Jun. 08, 2014  10:32 PM)Flambo. Wrote: You have no idea how many times I have battled over WiFi and had people who use mega mewtwo X or Y Tired

I have that same problem, except with Kangaskhan. Those things are everywhere and it gets annoying constantly having to bring Cofagrigus to counter them.

I've actually made an "Anti-team team" that has Pokemon that counter Mega Kangaskhan, Talonflame, Wash Rotom, etc.

I typically carry around a Pokemon or two that's pretty much dedicated to taking down or substantially weakening a single member of the opponent's team (or possibly two if my Pokemon survives long enough), which is handy for breaking up a sweeper run or taking out a particularly annoying Pokemon.

Shuckle w/ Sturdy + Sitrus Berry + Power Split is hilariously effective. The 400+ Attack sweeper you were facing gets knocked down to 200ish on both Attack and Special Attack. At the very least this forces them to switch out (and then you go ahead and repeat for the next Pokemon or hit it with Toxic to be annoying), and if they don't switch then you go ahead and use Toxic and/or spam Double Team/Protect to be even more annoying. It's typically only good for severely weakening one Pokemon, but it can save you if your opponent is heavily relying on that one Pokemon.
I just hate when people use Yvetal on WiFi battles and use that overpowered move, Oblivion wing. It really needs to be well-known that Yvetal is way too good. It's the F230 of Pokemon at this point.
Agreed. A month ago, I went on a field trip to Kentucky by bus and we were allowed to bring video games. So, I challenged this guy to a battle but little did I know that he had a Xerneas. I still won, but that Xerneas was annoying. I told him that he shouldn't use Xerneas but he just got mad and said "Why? HE's GOOD!" then I told him that Pokemon like that are considered "uber" and they were banned in tournaments. But he just continued to argue with me. I then battled another person he had an Yveltal and repeatedly spammed oblivion wing and shadow force. After I managed to defeat the Yveltal my Pokemon were too weak and he just finished me off with his other Pokemon. I tried to tell him the same thing I told the other person about Xerneas, but the same thing happened. But in the end, I challenged him to a "No Restrictions" battle and my Lv. 100 Typhlosion kicked a$$.
I always ask about restrictions before battling anyone. If they say something like "what are you talking about", then I load up on a team of Ubers which I keep in my Battle Box and mop the floor with them. Otherwise I build a team in my party and use that.
I did ask the person if they wanted to do no restrictions and they said yes.
Man, just reading this thread is making me get back into X and Y. I promise in the Summer I'll come back and battle everyone.
Seeing this made me decide to play a match to shake the rust off a bit...
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-128954924

The Lapras and Empoleon were unexpected, and I stupidly used an obvious King's Shield which he predicted when I should've used Sacred Sword instead, but overall not terrible.
(Jun. 09, 2014  12:26 AM)Cake Wrote: ...and if they don't switch then you go ahead and use Toxic and/or spam Double Team/Protect to be even more annoying. It's typically only good for severely weakening one Pokemon, but it can save you if your opponent is heavily relying on that one Pokemon.

Horrible.
Absolutely horrible.
On that topic, I also have a Sigilyph with Magic Guard which knows Cosmic Power, Double Team, Psycho Shift, and Roost. It holds a Toxic Orb and buffs up incredibly while giving everything bad poison, and is immune to status conditions, weather effects, takes very little damage per hit and is practically impossible to hit without Shock Wave.
ew double team why would you even
also have you heard of taunt?
(Jun. 09, 2014  6:59 AM)Ga Wrote: ew double team why would you even

He probably has, but the fact that so few things have Taunt makes it hardly an issue. A more common thing that will screw Sigilyph over is Whirlwind, especially on Skarmory who is immune to poison.

Oh god I don't even want to think about the stamina war those two would have if they're the last ones standing.
(Jun. 09, 2014  6:59 AM)Ga Wrote: ew double team why would you even

Yeah, in the event someone may have Taunt I will sometimes switch out Double Team or Roost for an offensive move (typically Heat Wave to counter the Steel-types that will not be affected by the poison)
When I was in that battle I showed you earlier, I had a heracross with guts, had it hold a flame orb and it knew facade. I wish I used it though but that guy used psychic, fairy and flying types.
Orbs can be fun. Breloom with Spore + Sky Uppercut/Focus Punch, Poison Heal, and a Toxic Orb is pretty great. Throw in Leech Seed/Mach Punch/Facade for the other two move slots and you'll have a strong offensive Pokemon that heals a significant fraction of its health every turn.

I like to avoid the flame orb due to the Attack reduction burn causes, but there are few Pokemon that bad poison won't kill quickly...
No but seriously,

never use double team.
It's horrible, and cheap, and frustrating.

There's an evasion clause for a reason.
It actually said that with guts, the attack drop from burn is ignored.
Breloom = always use spore
This new generation of trainers just love to use legendaries!They think without them,winning is impossible,which is the reason I bring my Infernape and Zoroark to every wi-fi battle.
Has anyone tried a troll team before? I used it on Battle Spot and my ranking spiked into the 1700's, and was top 15 in Australia for doubles. It consists of Smeargle and Kangaskhan being the core Pokemons used;

Smeargle @ Focus Sash:
Dark Void
Helping Hand
Protect
Encore

M-Kangaskhan @ Kangashkhanite:
Facade
Sucker Punch
Power-Up Punch
Fake Out

What you do is Fake Out the main threat on the opening scene so it can't harm Smeargle, and the if the other Pokemon does attack Smeargle, it will be left hanging on its focus sash. Dark void everything (since it hits two targets) and pray that they fall asleep. You pretty much just helping hand the Kanga at this point, until one wakes up and then you protect to stall and use Kanga to hit. I prefer Facade much over Return because a lot of the time the foe will carry burn, and facades strength doubles + STAB. Also hits twice so that's guaranteed to KO.

Very cheap, and a lot of the time you will see forfeits or dc, but yeah its fun hehe.

Edit: the others on the team are Sand Veil Garchomp, Tyranitar (lefties, and used to set up sandstorm for garchomp) and the weaker uses, togekiss and ferrothorn.
(Jun. 09, 2014  12:26 AM)Cake Wrote:
(Jun. 08, 2014  10:39 PM)Woumb@ Wrote:

I typically carry around a Pokemon or two that's pretty much dedicated to taking down or substantially weakening a single member of the opponent's team (or possibly two if my Pokemon survives long enough), which is handy for breaking up a sweeper run or taking out a particularly annoying Pokemon.

Shuckle w/ Sturdy + Sitrus Berry + Power Split is hilariously effective. The 400+ Attack sweeper you were facing gets knocked down to 200ish on both Attack and Special Attack. At the very least this forces them to switch out (and then you go ahead and repeat for the next Pokemon or hit it with Toxic to be annoying), and if they don't switch then you go ahead and use Toxic and/or spam Double Team/Protect to be even more annoying. It's typically only good for severely weakening one Pokemon, but it can save you if your opponent is heavily relying on that one Pokemon.

You could also use a shuckle with rest and leftovers to be more anoying and be a more effective wall.