E3 2008!

flashfox is a joke character at this point
someone explain the 360 miis to me

i'm not sure what they really do and i'm too lazy to go find somewhere that will tell me
seriously mad world

looks like a lame action game and the visuals hurt my eyes just looking at carp screens

everyone is so desperate for a good game on the wii that the slightest hint of eccentricity causes everyone to freak the carp out
Bey Brad Wrote:seriously mad world

looks like a lame action game and the visuals hurt my eyes just looking at carp screens

everyone is so desperate for a good game on the wii that the slightest hint of eccentricity causes everyone to freak the carp out

It couldn't be because the developers have an awesome track record. (Viewtiful Joe, Devil May Cry, Okami, God Hand, etc.)

Nope, no way. Couldn't possibly be that.
But didn't Clover close? And weren't they a subsidary of Capcom?

I guess it could be alumni, but that doesn't gurantee 100% awesomeness. Although Mad World does look awesome.
Takao Wrote:But didn't Clover close? And weren't they a subsidary of Capcom?

I guess it could be alumni, but that doesn't gurantee 100% awesomeness. Although Mad World does look awesome.

Yes, they closed. But the majority of Clover went on to form PlatinumGames, which is the developer of both Bayonetta and MadWorld.

Besides the fact the game has an interesting visual style, I think MadWorld is a game that the Wii really needs right now. I mean sure, some people are desperately clinging to this as the hardcore game for the Wii, but its not without rational reason. I mean, go watch the trailers. This carp looks brutal. People stabbing each other in the face with stop signs, slamming people into spikes only to pull them off and repeat the action... Its some really intense gore.

But it has style, and I think that's what makes this game stand out. Its not gratuitous simply for the sake of being so. Its over the top, sure, but take a look at Clover/PlatinumGames back catalog and you'll quickly see that they are more or less known for being over the top.

I'm certainly not saying MadWorld is the second coming of hardcore gaming on the Wii, but I do think it looks interesting and above all else, unique. Which is saying something when the Wii is being overpopulated with carp like American Idol and the millions of Petz spin-offs.
Lol was there even a first coming for hardcore gaming on the Wii?
Takao Wrote:Lol was there even a first coming for hardcore gaming on the Wii?

Um... Yes?

The Wii honestly had a pretty great start for the core gamers.

Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, SSBB, Zack and Wiki, Okami, Super Paper Mario, RE4 Wii, etc.

Granted, most of these games were spread VERY far apart in release, but core games being released have only started to drop off in recent months.
Considering Nintendo marketed SSBB(Me hate this frachise), and Galaxy to the same audience as WiiFit, and marketed the same way("We Would Like To Play"), I can't really call those core games. Rather, they are games that can be enjoyed by Core Gamers, as well as the casuals.

The rest of the list I can't really complain. And rather that was a joke, since seemingly all these core titles hit us within the span of 6 months(Zelda & Paper Mario excluded).
Takao Wrote:Considering Nintendo marketed SSBB(Me hate this frachise), and Galaxy to the same audience as WiiFit, and marketed the same way("We Would Like To Play"), I can't really call those core games. Rather, they are games that can be enjoyed by Core Gamers, as well as the casuals.

That doesn't negate the fact that these are core franchises. These are the games that die hard Nintendo fans (like I used to be) will buy any Nintendo system to play the new iterations of.

Sure, they have broad appeal and can rope in non-gamers with their charm, but these are not games that casual gamers are buying the system for. I think its unfair of you to say that SSBB and SMG are not core games, because they most definitely are.
Notice how I said games, not franchises(other than me saying I don't like Super Smash Bros.). It's like asking if Donkey Konga is for the core, it's not. Donkey Kong is for the core. I think the waggle controls in Galaxy detrimented it's core-ness, with Brawl it doesn't matter since most use the GC or Classics Pad. Fair enough? I really don't feel like continuing this, since my first comment was meant to be a joke.
Takao Wrote:I really don't feel like continuing this, since my first comment was meant to be a joke.

Yes, and a misguided and incorrect one at that.
Takao Wrote:I really don't feel like continuing this, since my first comment was meant to be a joke.
don't worry i thought it was kind of funny
http://gonintendo.com/?p=50092

Well, another reassuring statement.
Kei Wrote:http://gonintendo.com/?p=50092

Fair enough I guess, but I really do think also that these " Core Gamers " need to adapt to Nintendo's new ways and stop bitching, so what if they didn't show a new Mario or Zelda its not the end of the world.
Sega Wrote:
Kei Wrote:http://gonintendo.com/?p=50092

Fair enough I guess, but I really do think also that these " Core Gamers " need to adapt to Nintendo's new ways and stop bitching, so what if they didn't show a new Mario or Zelda its not the end of the world.

get out
lol for real

We have every right to be pissed off Sega. Its guys like us who were buying Nintendo consoles for games like Mario and Zelda during the Gamecube era that kept Nintendo alive financially. If you'll recall, they weren't doing so hot back then.

Now they come out with their new system that includes motion controls and we're all like super pumped about the possibilities for our favorite franchises (Zelda, Mario, etc.) to take advantage of this new tech, and what does Nintendo do? They completely turn their backs on us. Maybe that's being a little hyperbolic, but even so, the fact remains that Nintendo has at the very least been very negligible to its core audience and while that may not be damaging their revenue right now, it may very well come back to bite them in the carp one day when the casual gaming balloon explodes in their faces.
Hmm yeah I can see where your coming from, but at the Moment Nintendo's mindset is probably like " Were making so much money from this Casual stuff, lets just run with it for the time being ", there would be no way in hell that Nintendo would indeed screw over the core gamers, I just think Nintendo are just keen on this casual thing, if Nintendo doesn't show at least one core game next year man i could see riots happening inbetween the core gamers.
Sega Wrote:Hmm yeah I can see where your coming from, but at the Moment Nintendo's mindset is probably like " Were making so much money from this Casual stuff, lets just run with it for the time being ", there would be no way in hell that Nintendo would indeed screw over the core gamers, I just think Nintendo are just keen on this casual thing, if Nintendo doesn't show at least one core game next year man i could see riots happening inbetween the core gamers.

What Sega is saying is true, but also as has been said many of these games are probably in the middle of development cycles and were not ready to be shown in playable forms. Personally, this whole issue is being blown out of proportion. If Nintendo doesn't show anything before Wii Sports Resort comes out, then I would be getting worried.
I think it comes down to greed; casual gamers and non-gamers are a bigger pie, and Nintendo more or less has it to themselves. However, they're not as reliable a pie as hardcore gamers are.

For instance, if the casual crowd comes upon hard times, they'll probably give up the games. Hardcore gamers, on the other hand, will walk everywhere, carp in their backyards, and eat instant ramen every meal if it means they'll have enough money left over to buy Spore when it comes out.
just because i'm not a hardcore gamer doesn't mean i want the games i do decide to play to suck
Doompenguin Wrote:For instance, if the casual crowd comes upon hard times, they'll probably give up the games. Hardcore gamers, on the other hand, will walk everywhere, carp in their backyards, and eat instant ramen every meal if it means they'll have enough money left over to buy Spore when it comes out.

Oh god it is sad but I have gone without for the sake of being able to afford a video game. More than once.

carp man, when the Wii first came out, it took every cent I had to be able to buy one of the things. I camped out for 12 hours in the awful Michigan winter weather to secure one of them, spent all the money I had to own one and was broke that entire week because of it. But at the time, it was worth it because I was of the mindset that Nintendo always put out quality consoles with quality games.

As you can see from the images Artie posted in another topic, the word quality has become a questionable inclusion among Nintendo's vocabulary.