Aug-26-2022 - Aug-28-2022: "Beyblade East 2022" tournament reports

The following are words I have to say about the two day 0 tournaments, unranked 1v1 HMS and P3C1 ranked Burst Classic.

I recommend the following music for reading the report. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxwPTc37G2I . Look, I play a lot of good videogames. Deal with it.

- Nightwing's game loft is relatively cooler than it was initially. Temperaturewise, it's as good as it's going to get. Unfortunately we had some 90 degree heatwaves, so things got a little toasty in there over time.

- The lighting is really starting to get to me. It is dark in there. Eventually I can see, but the phone cameras often have trouble capturing slow motion footage, because it's so dark. Also he had a system set up where it makes little green laser dots shine across the floors and walls in dancing patterns. After a few tournaments with these on, I have started to find it distracting when I am trying to judge matches.

- I am literally getting too old for this. Doubleheader tournaments have caused me a lot of stress and fatigue in the past, and multiple tournament days in one weekend as well. This event, with 6 tournaments over 3 days? It's the perfect storm. I want to attend them all, but it's VERY bad for me. I have had to miss work the day after Sunday tournaments before because of this fatigue. This weekend is no different. In the future, I am going to sternly limit myself to one tournament each weekend, maximum, and definitely a limit of 3 tournaments a month. Beyblade is literally unhealthy for me, apparently.

- Bladers, it is important to practice good hygiene before tournaments. The morning of, you need to shower. And in hot summer months, you NEED to wear deodorant. And this is very important mostly for YOU, DECEASED CRAB, YOU ARE A BIG STINKY! WEAR DEODORANT, DANGIT! I was made aware of it being a problem after last tournament, and I have been more careful about it at these tournaments, applying deodorant multiple times. I deodoranted so hard that today my deodorant stick burst, turning into useless little cubes I could not properly apply. Cool, must've had weak teeth on the deodorant, or a particularly bursty disc like Gravity. Thanks for nothing, Old Spice!!!

Day 0 HMS
---

- Traffic was bad on the way in. REALLY BAD. I gave myself a lot of extra time because I knew it was Rush Hour on a Friday. A lot of other people didn't, and missed tournaments.

- We had 19 registrants, 5 round swiss. We didn't get started until around 6:30, a bad omen considering how long this was going to take and that we had another tournament to run afterwards.

- One person registered and didn't show up until round 4. Hey folks, if you're running that late, just skip the tournament and go to the next one. It's not fair to your opponents, it really does mess up the seeding of matches and affects the buchholz scores of your opponents. Don't do this.

- As a reminder, do not pick up other people's property at tournaments without permission. Never a good idea.

- This was a 1v1 format, so the decisionmaking really wasn't that complicated. I am not well versed in HMS, and I wanted to try it just to see how it was. I had a stock Dark Effigy (Zhuge Liang Three Kingdoms version, oooooh, shiny) that I ran the entire time. Not a bad bey, honestly. I went 3-2. I was also the lowest Buchholz 3-2 blader, and wound up not making finals. Oh well.

- HMS is interesting, but personally I'm not that into it. It's definitely a bridge between Plastics and MFB and it shows. The KOs are numerous, we were mostly in reproduction stadiums of an HMS original. Those walls were doing some serious work. There were a LOT of KOs, self-KOs. A couple bursts, honestly, these parts do not remain stable and functional forever. A lot of people borrowing parts had some very bursty parts that they had trouble assembling. Even I had trouble with it. You can tell TT learned a lot after HMS when it comes to assembly ease.

- I saw a couple of the pre-Bullet combo being used, Phantom something I guess it's called, some Voltaic Ape, and a few other cool beys. Honestly, I like how small and light they are, makes for some more fun gameplay. I think the size and weight of MFB and Burst beys is overkill.

- I can't give a good nuanced analysis of this format, because it was 1v1, and I don't know the format well. I would say it was fun. I wouldn't really go out of my way to run/attend another one though.

- There were some mis-entered matches. One of mine against someone who didn't even show up was entered as a loss for me. We caught it and fixed it before first stage was over, but this definitely messed with the matching in Challonge.

- Judges, it is important not to interrupt other matches going on unless you have a legitimate tournament need to do so. If you have to ask another judge to review footage, either go to them and wait until they're not busy, or call them over if they aren't busy. If you have to talk to a blader in another match, have an extremely good reason for doing so. If you have questions about parts they loaned for example, get up and go walk over to them and ask. Bladers, when you are in the middle of a match, DO NOT WALK AWAY FROM YOUR MATCH. There is never an acceptable non-emergency reason to do this. The format rules and organizers guide apparently do not strictly prohibit this, because those rules are not well written. Bladers, if someone suggests to you not to walk away from your beystadium while you are in the middle of a match, do not retort "So disqualify me!" That's... that's all kinds of not okay. No one wants to disqualify you, we all want the matches to happen fair and square.

- The tournament finished up around 8:30 or so. So it didn't take long, being a 1v1 with 19 people.

HMS is cool I guess. If you like it, enjoy it.

Day 0 Burst Classic
---

- We had 20 registrants, 5 round swiss. We didn't get started until 8:30, and you just knew this was going to have negative ramifications. It didn't wrap up until around 10:30, which is kind of a testament to how efficient it went.

- A lot of people are starting to take a LOT of time to make decisions. An unacceptable amount of time. It's LATE everyone's TIRED you CANNOT spend 5-10 minutes before a single match YOU HAVE ALREADY BEEN CALLED TO sitting at a table some distance away making combos. And it's the same experienced people doing this over and over and over. You have had WEEKS to come up with good combos for this tournament and you have had Plenty of Downtime to prepare your combos before the matches and there is No Acceptable Reason for you to take this long to make combos for a match you've already been called to. How are your combos not already assembled? Why are you like this??? If you're going to come to a tournament and cause delays you could have avoided, it's going to slow things down and lead to problems.

- Burst Classic always brings out a lot of different and interesting combos. Different people approach it in different ways. Sure, you'll see a couple of popular combos like Anubion A2 on QuadKick, and Chaos on HXt+', but for the most part there's enough of a variety to make things interesting.

- At the same time, the rules for Burst Classic DO NOT PROPERLY KEEP UP WITH NEW RELEASES. People just aren't keeping on eye on the balance of the format. Because Burst Classic is rarely run nowadays, staff doesn't keep up with updating the rules or the watchlist. It is essentially an abandoned format. You have new tips like Quattro' which Should be cause for concern (only one person used it), you have upcoming concerns like Revolve', you have a host of metal and dash drivers which should be addressed or kept in line with similar earlier bans, and you have a truly staggering field of Extremely Powerful spring Hasbro tips, to include a High Revolve with a very good spring. Wow!

- A year ago 8 more Hasbro Exclusive Turbo releases were permitted in Burst Classic. Since that time, the Hasbro tips have gotten reaaaally good and some of those layers have become Extremely Powerful, perhaps to an excessive degree. Back in the day, there was a big argument to permit them because "Oh, it's just Hasbro, they aren't good anyway, and we don't have access to older stuff." And if the Hasbro tips available today were present at that time, it'd never have happened, they're way huge layers for the format and now they're very powerful and don't burst. Staff honestly aren't watching the Hasbro tips closely enough, because again, this is an abandoned format and as long as you take to time to do the research, you can find some very game-breaking combos. And perhaps we're fine with that. Who knows!

- Two participants had to leave mid-tournament. I mean, the tournament was scheduled to start at 8, we started late, and the page says expect to be there for a few hours. Why would you go to an 8 PM tournament if you can't stay up late??? Well, most bladers don't read the tournament details. I know this, but it's still annoying. People who leave mid-way, especially early in the tournament, mess with the Buchholz scores for tiebreaking. Folks, if you can't reasonably guarantee that barring emergency you won't stay for the whole tournament, don't register.

- It was P3C1, a format I personally don't like. The Supreme One loves it though, so every tournament this weekend except HMS was P3C1. Until the finals, when everything changes to be deck format, and it's entirely different. My strategy was originally to go with 3 combos I know were good, and pick randomly from them. It worked okay. I went 4-1. I originally had Dragoon on Metal Drift, and used it once during first stage. Bad idea, the tooth doesn't destroy the layer but it's too short, you NEED Bahamut or Kerbeus rubber chips to keep that thing in line. Normal Drift better on that, honestly. There's a Hasbro equivalent someone else was using to great effect. I also used Chaos Gravity HXt+', a TERRIBLE MISTAKE! Very bursty. It won, a lot, but Gravity was a bad idea. That got turned into Knuckle later and it STILL BURST. The funniest part is when it bursts, the disc and layer fly off, but the tip keeps spinning for a VERY long time, like a headless horseman. Funny stuff. Also I ran Anubion A2 on QuadKick, which is very good all around. But there are better layers for QuadKick, oh yes there are...

- Between my random picks and intentional picks, I did well in the first stage. My only first stage loss was to geetster99, and hey, he's good, and he did a risky bursty stamina pick and it worked well.

- I got eliminated the first round of the finals. It was an interesting match. I brought a Valkyrie on Qc', Chaos on HXt+', and something else I don't remember. JCMakeEmBurst had a Hasbro Dragoon on a Hasbro Drift, Tyros T2 on QuadKick (I distinctly remember this layer being decent stamina and attack), and Balar on a very tight stamina driver. Balar's basically an oval shape, so very attacky. JC picked Dragoon first, as I guessed, and I picked my Valkyrie. The first battle was VERY close, looked like a double KO at first but the judge determined Dragoon went out first. From there I switched to Chaos and him to Tyros. He burst me! So it's 2-2. Same combos, unfortunately he bursts me again. Nuts. I have to try the Valkyrie, but, I self-KO. Game over! He made it as far as second place, his beys were just really good. This is a recurring pattern, he's a good blader.

- KOs need to not be 2 points in deck finals for classic. This is a recurring issue, there were a TON of KOs today. They're EVERYWHERE NOW in Classic. The finals did not take long, the points racked up really fast.

- Tournament finished at 10:30, I got home at 11:30 after cleanup and some slow, safe driving. Had to go to bed almost immediately, for another two tournaments.

Burst Classic is the wild west, an abandoned format where the rules and testing to make sure the format doesn't break just don't happen. Fun, but it really does need some attention.

The following are words I have to say about the two day 1 tournaments, ranked P3C1 MFL and unranked P3C1 MF4D.

I recommend the following music for reading the report. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TsgaVdhzTg . Look, I play a lot of good videogames. Deal with it.

- The Supreme One ran a lot of smaller events during the day. A "Most Beautiful Beyblade" Contest, and a "Worst Beyblade" Contest.

- I didn't submit any beys to the beauty contest, most of mine are ugly and dour and generic. There were some really cool color combos there, only a few had been painted by hand. In the end we had a tie vote between an actual cool color combo and the stock Ray Gil someone submitted. You know, because memes. So we had a vote off and the Ray Gil won, 10-8. Y'all.

- The Worst Beyblade concept is simple: Everyone makes a bad beyblade. You hand it to your opponent. You want to win with their bey to prove yours is worse. TSO decided broken or damaged parts would be allowed. And then Angry Face pulled out a hammer, and started maiming his bad layer to make it worse. Others followed suit. At that point I opted not to participate. You know how I get about artificial modification. I went and got some food instead. Sure, I took a hammer to an Arkanoid DS cartridge many years ago, but I didn't do that to try and defeat other people.

Day 1 MFL
---

- Weekend traffic not bad.

- We had 20 registrants, 5 round swiss. We didn't get started until around 11:30. I don't know what to tell you, other people don't start tournaments on time. That's more of a Crab thing.

- At yesterday's Classic tournament, I learned that when selecting 3 beyblades for P3C1, you don't always need to intend to potentially use them all. Sometimes you can just intend to use two of them and use the third one as an implied threat to steer people away from choosing beys you don't want to face. If you include a quality attack type in your deck, they will be less likely to run their pure stamina, even if you're unlikely to choose your attack. Also sometimes it helps to choose the attack type to mess with them.

- Before the tournament today I realized the Gravity wheel rules had changed, in December apparently (there doesn't appear to be an announcement for it). I thought this applied to Variaries too. I was wrong, it turns out. So in Limited, Gravity can't do direction switch in first stage, and can only do it once in finals matches. Apparently, there is one Hasbro version of Variaries which isn't banned (?!?!?!) and can freely switch directions every battle in first stage or finals because it isn't addressed. So... that's another hilarious loophole in WBO rules. Just ban ALL the Variaries in MFL and be done with it. If not, if you're going to have rules on direction switching layers, at least keep them consistent. I am TIRED of dealing with the poorly written rules WBO has.

- For this format I ran my usual Meteo L-Drago on F230CF, to decent effect, but I got KOed a bit. I also ran a Hasbro Duo on 230D (my CS is very unseasoned and RED NINJA 0829 had some good advice), Bakushin on a low track MF, and a few other reliable standbys.

- But my opponents, they were tough. ConnorSharo did great today, Mike.Nightwing did well as always, and Meow! showed up from out of nowhere to give us central atlantic bladers a serious challenge! 2-3 doesn't get me to the finals, but that's okay.

- I skipped using Gravity today, because my previous Gravity B:D chicanery was no longer useful. I saw a LOT of Gravity on attack, a lot of Lightning L-Drago on attack, just... a LOT of attack tips today in MFL. And attack did Great. SOME interesting opposite spin stamina, but attack really showed off today.

- We had a fair amount of regulars from the region make it to finals, and a fair amount of more distant bladers! Everyone did a good job in the finals, and I don't remember them too well for whatever reason! Sorry.

- The tournament finished up around 1:45. So it didn't take long. P3C1 tends not to take too long.

MFL is a decent format, but I'd like some consistency in spin direction change rules. I also like it more when it isn't P3C1.

Day 1 4D Experimental Format
---

[Image: 300px-Diablo_Cover_Cropped_%282019%29.png]

Day 1 4D Experimental Format (for real this time)
---

- We had 21 registrants, 5 round swiss. We started at exactly 4:00. I was getting everyone in the building who wanted to play pre-registered over the hours between the previous tournament, I did roll call ahead of time, and the tournament was done by 6:20. Efficient. Go me!

- I was tired and feeling silly, so I adopted the monotone I used for Boring Tournament when making announcements. I was taken to task by someone for this, saying that overuse of the megaphone for non-critical information would only cause people to tune me out. As it turns out, only one person really tuned me out and it was them. Nice try, but most people enjoy my megaphone irreverence.

- I was running this tournament. I like to think it went smoothly. I had to switch matches being called a couple of times because some bladers wouldn't show up to their matches because they were busy doing literally anything else other than the Beyblade matches they came here to do.

- Calling matches is an art form. You CAN'T leave the judge matches to the end, or it takes 1000 hours. Thankfully, I had a LOT of experienced people willing to judge. When too many judges were involved in matches I'd limit it to 3 Beystadiums being run, and when I didn't, 4. Rounds went fast.

- With a fairly open ban list for this format, we ended up with a couple of patterns. Almost everybody ran a deck with Diablo, and it countered Most Everything. There were a few counters to it, not many. Everyone in the top 4 had it in their deck. This isn't really as much of a lively meta as you'd think. There are so many things banned in Limited, and we saw ALMOST NONE OF THEM in 4D format. We saw Flash, and Diablo, and Death, and Phantom. Little else. Occasional L-Drago Destroyers on F230, and a little bit of variety. But... mostly the Diablo show.

- I ran some okay combos, but I didn't make it to finals (No Diablo). I had a low Scythe RB I used as a counter, and about half the time it worked on Diablos. L-Drago Destroyer is Okay on F230CF but it gets knocked around a lot and the extra weight isn't always a help. Death on SA165EWD didn't do me much good, I needed more contact. I had a tall phantom and a flash, but, ended up not using them.

- One of the beystadiums got a literal divot in it during the tournament. We had to switch the bottom layer for the top one for that.

- One of the beystaidums was haunted. beymaster15963 and RED NINJA 0829 were convinced there was a divot on it. No one else could find it. I declared it haunted, had them redo their match on another beystadium. Had other people go check it out, see if they could reproduce the divot-like issues. And they couldn't. So, it's haunted. Or they're delusional. 1 of the 2.

- There was one match I was judging in the finals that was a little close and I sort of wonder if I goofed. It was a 4-4 match, and there was a KO, but it kind of seemed like one of the bladers got a hand injury from contact with the beys right at launch. I couldn't be certain whether or not everything was okay, and he said there was a mislaunch, so we redid it, and the opposite outcome happened. I dunno, that doesn't always sit well. I wish people were just generally more clear about what did and didn't happen at any given launch, but you do the best you can.

- So what's my personal take on this format? I don't like it. It's absolutely drowning in Flash, Diablo, Phantom, Diablo, Diablo, Death, Diablo, Diablo, and Diablo. It honestly doesn't seem like a fun or interesting meta and I honestly like TSO's version of the banlist more. I don't know if I'd go to more tournaments of this banlist.

- TSO and Angry Face got real prizes for this tournament. I, being a horrendous goofball, gave people the promised insubstantial concepts and room temperature (hot from car) root beer.

That was a fun experiment. I hope you had fun! I don't want to do it again. I'm pre-tired for tomorrow. Time to sleep.
(Aug. 28, 2022  3:54 AM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: - Judges, it is important not to interrupt other matches going on unless you have a legitimate tournament need to do so. If you have to ask another judge to review footage, either go to them and wait until they're not busy, or call them over if they aren't busy. If you have to talk to a blader in another match, have an extremely good reason for doing so. If you have questions about parts they loaned for example, get up and go walk over to them and ask. Bladers, when you are in the middle of a match, DO NOT WALK AWAY FROM YOUR MATCH. There is never an acceptable non-emergency reason to do this. The format rules and organizers guide apparently do not strictly prohibit this, because those rules are not well written. Bladers, if someone suggests to you not to walk away from your beystadium while you are in the middle of a match, do not retort "So disqualify me!" That's... that's all kinds of not okay. No one wants to disqualify you, we all want the matches to happen fair and square.

I recommend folks watch this video at the 1:22:25 mark to get a better understanding of the literal 30 secs of away time being referred to: https://youtu.be/SDZRzMex3is

I think it’s important for Mr. Crab to remember this is meant to be a fun time for all and sometimes your repeated suggestions can kill the vibe. For this interaction you must take a moment to look at the totality of circumstances that resulted in me walking away from the stadium for 30 seconds to address a concern. The blader, age 7-9, was borrowing HMS beyblades from me and there was a concern he had repeating parts. Neither the child, judge, nor opponent knew the answer so they asked me, the owner. I walked over, 10 feet or so, to help figure it out because if it was a repeat I would have to change it for him as he cannot reach my parts nor would he know what to do. Also, the judge nor opponent could help him with it. It wouldn’t matter if the other judge came to me with the concern because it would have still resulted in time away from my match from just looking at the parts or having to change it out. Sometimes, especially in these older / limited formats, folks have to make adjustments on the fly and it’ll eat up a few seconds of playtime… it is what it is.  

Your suggestion of not walking away from the stadium was heard and addressed by me with “one second”, which was followed by you, twice, with “you don’t walk away from your match” or something similar. I’m sure you understand that repeating yourself after being addressed doesn’t solve the issue but can be a tad annoying. Since you were neither the judge, organizer, nor opponent of my match you really had no place to speak on my step away since i was called upon by the organizer.

I like you a lot and you’ve helped me a lot so I say this with all love, you have to relax and be quite sometimes. This is a kid’s game and sometimes folks have to step away or need a second to get things situated. Today as you and I were looking over our decks my two year old said “hey daddy look” and you replied “now’s not the time” as if he was disturbing you. I ignored your remark, addressed him, and our match went on without a missed moment. You gotta just go with the flow man, it’s just a game. If you don’t walk away from every tournament happier than when you arrived you may need to take a break and rediscover what brings you joy. I play beyblade because it reminds me of when I was 10 playing with plastic gens on my friend's front porch, battling at the mall tournaments, trying to break alley tvs, or messing up my moms wok pot because that was a stadium used on the show. It’s all for fun, don’t forget that. 

Good night, I’ll see you in a few hours.
Fine. I wasn't going to name names but yes, it was you. No, I wasn't your judge, but I wasn't wrong either, especially on a tournament that started late and is running late. As far as repeating things goes, I don't know if you've noticed but it is often very hard to hear other people at your venue. The noise level just gradually rises and sometimes explanations are difficult to hear.

While we're here because I know the subject is going to be brought up today,, the E230 part you keep trying to use in MFL and 4D is legal in standard and Zero-G, but only when the complete part with the elevator plate is used. Please see if you can find it prior to use.
(Aug. 28, 2022  5:09 AM)Mike.Nightwing Wrote:
(Aug. 28, 2022  3:54 AM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: - Judges, it is important not to interrupt other matches going on unless you have a legitimate tournament need to do so. If you have to ask another judge to review footage, either go to them and wait until they're not busy, or call them over if they aren't busy. If you have to talk to a blader in another match, have an extremely good reason for doing so. If you have questions about parts they loaned for example, get up and go walk over to them and ask. Bladers, when you are in the middle of a match, DO NOT WALK AWAY FROM YOUR MATCH. There is never an acceptable non-emergency reason to do this. The format rules and organizers guide apparently do not strictly prohibit this, because those rules are not well written. Bladers, if someone suggests to you not to walk away from your beystadium while you are in the middle of a match, do not retort "So disqualify me!" That's... that's all kinds of not okay. No one wants to disqualify you, we all want the matches to happen fair and square.

I recommend folks watch this video at the 1:22:25 mark to get a better understanding of the literal 30 secs of away time being referred to: https://youtu.be/SDZRzMex3is

I think it’s important for Mr. Crab to remember this is meant to be a fun time for all and sometimes your repeated suggestions can kill the vibe. For this interaction you must take a moment to look at the totality of circumstances that resulted in me walking away from the stadium for 30 seconds to address a concern. The blader, age 7-9, was borrowing HMS beyblades from me and there was a concern he had repeating parts. Neither the child, judge, nor opponent knew the answer so they asked me, the owner. I walked over, 10 feet or so, to help figure it out because if it was a repeat I would have to change it for him as he cannot reach my parts nor would he know what to do. Also, the judge nor opponent could help him with it. It wouldn’t matter if the other judge came to me with the concern because it would have still resulted in time away from my match from just looking at the parts or having to change it out. Sometimes, especially in these older / limited formats, folks have to make adjustments on the fly and it’ll eat up a few seconds of playtime… it is what it is.  

Your suggestion of not walking away from the stadium was heard and addressed by me with “one second”, which was followed by you, twice, with “you don’t walk away from your match” or something similar. I’m sure you understand that repeating yourself after being addressed doesn’t solve the issue but can be a tad annoying. Since you were neither the judge, organizer, nor opponent of my match you really had no place to speak on my step away since i was called upon by the organizer.

I like you a lot and you’ve helped me a lot so I say this with all love, you have to relax and be quite sometimes. This is a kid’s game and sometimes folks have to step away or need a second to get things situated. Today as you and I were looking over our decks my two year old said “hey daddy look” and you replied “now’s not the time” as if he was disturbing you. I ignored your remark, addressed him, and our match went on without a missed moment. You gotta just go with the flow man, it’s just a game. If you don’t walk away from every tournament happier than when you arrived you may need to take a break and rediscover what brings you joy. I play beyblade because it reminds me of when I was 10 playing with plastic gens on my friend's front porch, battling at the mall tournaments, trying to break alley tvs, or messing up my moms wok pot because that was a stadium used on the show. It’s all for fun, don’t forget that. 

Thank you for being the ambassador to the game that you are.  A fun guy, a nice guy, and from what I can see a good father.  Thank you for always handling matters with poise.
(Aug. 29, 2022  12:53 AM)Shindog Wrote:
(Aug. 28, 2022  5:09 AM)Mike.Nightwing Wrote: I recommend folks watch this video at the 1:22:25 mark to get a better understanding of the literal 30 secs of away time being referred to: https://youtu.be/SDZRzMex3is

Thank you for being the ambassador to the game that you are.  A fun guy, a nice guy, and from what I can see a good father.  Thank you for always handling matters with poise.

I appreciate you.
The following are words I have to say about the two day 2 tournaments, ranked P3C1 MFB and ZeroG.

I recommend the following music for reading the report. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLfNpWNumMo . Apparently nobody has picked up on the pattern yet. That's fine I suppose.

- The Supreme One ran a meme event between the two tournaments today. A "Limited 2.0" joke format tournament. The concept is very simple, the banlist is Very Large. Most effective wheels, tracks, and tips are banned. Everything remaining is Not Great. It was decided to run it Double Elimination, to spare everyone. It was... silly.

- Today still had a lot of participants. MFB had 23, and ZeroG had 17. There were nearby birthdays for two bladers, so there was pizza, and cake, and ice cream. Hooray! I wore a party hat.

- We realized in horror that one of the TVs from yesterday was displaying active shots with low delay of matches that were currently ongoing, including beyblade selection. I really worry that the potential for bladers with view of the TVs could potentially spy on their opponents choices. I think either more delay or switching those TVs to other media would be a good idea.

- I spent a long time today trying to season my CS with legitimate use. My CS is mostly in new condition, making it bad for stamina. I've seen good CS tips, and those are downright pointy and also very good. So between tournaments and after tournaments I spent a long time launching a synchrome on 230CS in beystadiums to try and wear it down. I refuse to grind it down by hand or with Mugen stadiums. One day I will have a good CS.

- An interesting thing no one really picked up on today is that this is the first tournament day where we didn't have newer bladers show up at all. Only experienced bladers. A rarity. It was nice to not have to answer questions or loan parts or explain that their beys weren't for the formats being run.

Day 2 MFB
---

- We had 23 registrants, 5 round swiss. We didn't get started until around 11:15.

- I have some fairly strong parts for this format. I've done well in it before. I was sticking with some old classics, Kraken Gargoyle BD145RDF, Leviathan Dragoon BGrin, and Duo Horologium SA165MB. These did reasonably well. My losses were against RED NINJA 0829 and ItsSwift, Surprising No One. Dang they're good at this. Red Ninja had seen some of my matches so I changed up what I was using, it didn't help. And Swift had Duo on BGrin I think. Actually, I think everyone I lost to had Duo on BGrin. Low attack and low stamina are two good fixes for that, but I wasn't using that. Tactical error.

- One of the key factors I learned today is that you cannot really weak launch opposite spin when an entirely metal bey is involved, because, shape depending, if it is too round, you may have trouble spin stealing. You sometimes have to launch hard. When Dragoon or Basalt or Duo or other round shapes are involved, you must give it extra oomph.

- Not everyone had top of the line parts, but did well anyway. I saw some successful Diablos and other parts.

- The tournament finished up around 2:15. 3 hours, not terrible. P3C1 tends not to take too long.

- I went 3-2, and made it to the finals. My opponent was Friedpasta. Once again I made a tactical error, not bringing an attack type to deck format. I never learn. Although I have a low track stamina combo, I didn't bring that either. He had Duo on BGrin, and it was giving me a lot of trouble. Tactically, I was sunk, but I made him work for those points. My Dragoon managed to win some outspins (lots of video review) and there were a few knockouts. We made it all the way to 4-4. In my last launch, I screwed up and mostly missed the beystadium, self-KOing. I didn't throw it, I just messed up. Ah well, easy come, easy go. I'm just glad I put up a better fight this time, normally Friedpasta beats me too easily.

MFB is a lot of fun, honestly. There are a lot of different things that work in it.

Day 2 ZeroG
---

- We had 17 registrants, barely 5 round swiss. We started at exactly 4:00, which was nice. We didn't finish until around 7, the finals took a very long time. There were a lot of close matches.

- Special mention here to @"Mr. pokee", who was running Twisted on BGrin. As I said before, Dragoon needs a little extra oomph to spin steal sometimes, and not every BGrin works the same. He was able to beat a couple of people with a Twisted that just didn't offer much opportunity to spin steal.

- There are often large gaps in my knowledge. For example, I did not know how to properly perform a sway attack, using SA165 or GF or CF or GCF or combinations of those. Now, I know. I gave Angry Face and OnTheDL some horrified looks for their choices of using Giga Flat, which to me seemed an insane choice. However, if you want to sway, you really can't argue with that, you have to be heavy and make a LOT of surface contact. This gap in my knowledge would cost me later.

- I went 3-2 in this tournament too, using mostly the same stuff as the previous. Instead of running BD145RDF I ran an old favorite combo, Phantom Cancer E230TB. That honestly didn't do too well today, lots of other people are catching up to the elevator shenanigans, and I wasn't able to sway the stadiums much with it as in the past.

- We had some questions and concerns about "what counts as a knock-out" in ZeroG, and it turns out the answer is "once the bey exits the entire space of the beystadium and has no hope of returning". So we had a round 1 match where the beystadium swayed onto the ground (cardboard), a bey went into the pocket, touching the cardboard and the stadium walls, moved around there a bit, until the other bey knocked it back into play and then the beystadium swayed the other way. Wacky!

- After the first stage of this one, we realized that ranked ZeroG tournaments are a tremendous source of depression and dread for more experienced bladers. We're talking dozens or hundreds of rank points wiped out in a single tournament. ZeroG is CHAOS, and it cannot be predicted all that well. Strategize all you want, but you are in a wavy bowl. I want to play more ZeroG here in Maryland, and I will suggest that we do it unranked so that people will dread it less and have fun more.

- ZeroG matches are just more fun to watch in general. The surprise knockouts mean so much more and make things way more exciting. The finals are actually really good to watch, except when you get comepletely shut out by a Duo BGrin combo again. Smile

- So I made it to the finals, but then Swift happened. My Bahamut Ifrit T170WD combo was just a bad idea. I didn't understand how useless stationary or high stamina attack is in this format. Answer, a lot. Things would go different now, but I was unable to defeat him. He might've swept me the entire 6 days! Dang Swift, let me rest in peace already.

- Our infrastructure for ZeroG is wearing out. Those beystadiums are all starting to look a little run down. I might have to go out of my way and get another one, even if it costs, if I want this format to continue.

- OnTheDL won this tournament. She beat Swift, and we were cheering like crazy, and then she beat Friedpasta, and we were cheering like crazy. To me, one of the best things in the world is when one of the parents wins the tournament. That's just great.

I do love me some ZeroG.

They had some real difficulty determining who wins the top 3 overall trophies, because they did not carefully keep track of who earned what for placing where as they went, and did not prepare the system ahead of time. It took them around an hour to figure it out and by then I had stomach problems and had to go home.

Personally, my main takeaway from this weekend is I don't like P3C1 format, it relies too much on strategy and guessing and stress rather than blading. I prefer 3v3. Similarly, I don't like the way WBO Deck Format works. And these tournaments were both of those. I much prefer team tournaments, where the first round and the finals operate the same way, or Mike.Nightwing's 5v5 format. What's the point of getting to the midway point of a tournament, congratulating the finalists on doing so well, and then making them participate in an entirely different (and subjectively not as good) tournament format? That's Silly. I see why we had it back when 1v1 was the only format, but we have 3v3 now. I want to see tournaments with 3v3 first stage and 3v3 finals. We'll make it unranked if we gotta.

As stated before, in the future I'm only doing one tournament a weekend, and up to 3 tournaments a month. I do not have the energy required to do these massive multi-tournaments, with 6 main tournaments and 3-4 extra events. That's just too much. I'm too tired. I realize that for out of towners who travel a great distance, having multiple tournaments is better for them. However, this is a bit of a strain for people who aren't traveling. I reaaaally didn't want to miss any of these 6 tournaments, we run these formats so rarely. But in truth I should've bailed on most of it for my personal health. I'm glad I didn't, it was a lot of fun, but from now on, Crab cannot hurt himself for the love of the game.
Was super glad to see MFL 2.0 run, even if it has a couple metal fury wheels I missed banning (imagine me writing an MFL banlist and missing an overpowered metal fury wheel - unthinkable really). It's nigh impossible to build for but I have been thinking of a joke event here for it for April 1 next year. It's taken 8 years since I wrote the list as an April fools joke for anyone to play it and I'm so glad that y'all managed to do it the honour of a showing 🙏
(Aug. 29, 2022  4:35 AM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: The following are words I have to say about the two day 2 tournaments, ranked P3C1 MFB and ZeroG.

I recommend the following music for reading the report. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLfNpWNumMo . Apparently nobody has picked up on the pattern yet. That's fine I suppose.

- The Supreme One ran a meme event between the two tournaments today. A "Limited 2.0" joke format tournament. The concept is very simple, the banlist is Very Large. Most effective wheels, tracks, and tips are banned. Everything remaining is Not Great. It was decided to run it Double Elimination, to spare everyone. It was... silly.

- Today still had a lot of participants. MFB had 23, and ZeroG had 17. There were nearby birthdays for two bladers, so there was pizza, and cake, and ice cream. Hooray! I wore a party hat.

- We realized in horror that one of the TVs from yesterday was displaying active shots with low delay of matches that were currently ongoing, including beyblade selection. I really worry that the potential for bladers with view of the TVs could potentially spy on their opponents choices. I think either more delay or switching those TVs to other media would be a good idea.

- I spent a long time today trying to season my CS with legitimate use. My CS is mostly in new condition, making it bad for stamina. I've seen good CS tips, and those are downright pointy and also very good. So between tournaments and after tournaments I spent a long time launching a synchrome on 230CS in beystadiums to try and wear it down. I refuse to grind it down by hand or with Mugen stadiums. One day I will have a good CS.

- An interesting thing no one really picked up on today is that this is the first tournament day where we didn't have newer bladers show up at all. Only experienced bladers. A rarity. It was nice to not have to answer questions or loan parts or explain that their beys weren't for the formats being run.

Day 2 MFB
---

- We had 23 registrants, 5 round swiss. We didn't get started until around 11:15.

- I have some fairly strong parts for this format. I've done well in it before. I was sticking with some old classics, Kraken Gargoyle BD145RDF, Leviathan Dragoon BGrin, and Duo Horologium SA165MB. These did reasonably well. My losses were against RED NINJA 0829 and ItsSwift, Surprising No One. Dang they're good at this. Red Ninja had seen some of my matches so I changed up what I was using, it didn't help. And Swift had Duo on BGrin I think. Actually, I think everyone I lost to had Duo on BGrin. Low attack and low stamina are two good fixes for that, but I wasn't using that. Tactical error.

- One of the key factors I learned today is that you cannot really weak launch opposite spin when an entirely metal bey is involved, because, shape depending, if it is too round, you may have trouble spin stealing. You sometimes have to launch hard. When Dragoon or Basalt or Duo or other round shapes are involved, you must give it extra oomph.

- Not everyone had top of the line parts, but did well anyway. I saw some successful Diablos and other parts.

- The tournament finished up around 2:15. 3 hours, not terrible. P3C1 tends not to take too long.

- I went 3-2, and made it to the finals. My opponent was Friedpasta. Once again I made a tactical error, not bringing an attack type to deck format. I never learn. Although I have a low track stamina combo, I didn't bring that either. He had Duo on BGrin, and it was giving me a lot of trouble. Tactically, I was sunk, but I made him work for those points. My Dragoon managed to win some outspins (lots of video review) and there were a few knockouts. We made it all the way to 4-4. In my last launch, I screwed up and mostly missed the beystadium, self-KOing. I didn't throw it, I just messed up. Ah well, easy come, easy go. I'm just glad I put up a better fight this time, normally Friedpasta beats me too easily.

MFB is a lot of fun, honestly. There are a lot of different things that work in it.

Day 2 ZeroG
---

- We had 17 registrants, barely 5 round swiss. We started at exactly 4:00, which was nice. We didn't finish until around 7, the finals took a very long time. There were a lot of close matches.

- Special mention here to @"Mr. pokee", who was running Twisted on BGrin. As I said before, Dragoon needs a little extra oomph to spin steal sometimes, and not every BGrin works the same. He was able to beat a couple of people with a Twisted that just didn't offer much opportunity to spin steal.

- There are often large gaps in my knowledge. For example, I did not know how to properly perform a sway attack, using SA165 or GF or CF or GCF or combinations of those. Now, I know. I gave Angry Face and OnTheDL some horrified looks for their choices of using Giga Flat, which to me seemed an insane choice. However, if you want to sway, you really can't argue with that, you have to be heavy and make a LOT of surface contact. This gap in my knowledge would cost me later.

- I went 3-2 in this tournament too, using mostly the same stuff as the previous. Instead of running BD145RDF I ran an old favorite combo, Phantom Cancer E230TB. That honestly didn't do too well today, lots of other people are catching up to the elevator shenanigans, and I wasn't able to sway the stadiums much with it as in the past.

- We had some questions and concerns about "what counts as a knock-out" in ZeroG, and it turns out the answer is "once the bey exits the entire space of the beystadium and has no hope of returning". So we had a round 1 match where the beystadium swayed onto the ground (cardboard), a bey went into the pocket, touching the cardboard and the stadium walls, moved around there a bit, until the other bey knocked it back into play and then the beystadium swayed the other way. Wacky!

- After the first stage of this one, we realized that ranked ZeroG tournaments are a tremendous source of depression and dread for more experienced bladers. We're talking dozens or hundreds of rank points wiped out in a single tournament. ZeroG is CHAOS, and it cannot be predicted all that well. Strategize all you want, but you are in a wavy bowl. I want to play more ZeroG here in Maryland, and I will suggest that we do it unranked so that people will dread it less and have fun more.

- ZeroG matches are just more fun to watch in general. The surprise knockouts mean so much more and make things way more exciting. The finals are actually really good to watch, except when you get comepletely shut out by a Duo BGrin combo again. Smile

- So I made it to the finals, but then Swift happened. My Bahamut Ifrit T170WD combo was just a bad idea. I didn't understand how useless stationary or high stamina attack is in this format. Answer, a lot. Things would go different now, but I was unable to defeat him. He might've swept me the entire 6 days! Dang Swift, let me rest in peace already.

- Our infrastructure for ZeroG is wearing out. Those beystadiums are all starting to look a little run down. I might have to go out of my way and get another one, even if it costs, if I want this format to continue.

- OnTheDL won this tournament. She beat Swift, and we were cheering like crazy, and then she beat Friedpasta, and we were cheering like crazy. To me, one of the best things in the world is when one of the parents wins the tournament. That's just great.

I do love me some ZeroG.

They had some real difficulty determining who wins the top 3 overall trophies, because they did not carefully keep track of who earned what for placing where as they went, and did not prepare the system ahead of time. It took them around an hour to figure it out and by then I had stomach problems and had to go home.

Personally, my main takeaway from this weekend is I don't like P3C1 format, it relies too much on strategy and guessing and stress rather than blading. I prefer 3v3. Similarly, I don't like the way WBO Deck Format works. And these tournaments were both of those. I much prefer team tournaments, where the first round and the finals operate the same way, or Mike.Nightwing's 5v5 format. What's the point of getting to the midway point of a tournament, congratulating the finalists on doing so well, and then making them participate in an entirely different (and subjectively not as good) tournament format? That's Silly. I see why we had it back when 1v1 was the only format, but we have 3v3 now. I want to see tournaments with 3v3 first stage and 3v3 finals. We'll make it unranked if we gotta.

As stated before, in the future I'm only doing one tournament a weekend, and up to 3 tournaments a month. I do not have the energy required to do these massive multi-tournaments, with 6 main tournaments and 3-4 extra events. That's just too much. I'm too tired. I realize that for out of towners who travel a great distance, having multiple tournaments is better for them. However, this is a bit of a strain for people who aren't traveling. I reaaaally didn't want to miss any of these 6 tournaments, we run these formats so rarely. But in truth I should've bailed on most of it for my personal health. I'm glad I didn't, it was a lot of fun, but from now on, Crab cannot hurt himself for the love of the game.
Love the report mr Crab man 
This was my first mfb tournament and I really enjoyed it and the menace to society that was basalt stock