metagame discussion

Poll: is the attack metagame dead???

yes
44.12%
no
55.88%
Total: 100% 34 vote(s)
I regard a Beyblade Meta-game as:

The popular, ubiquitous and archetypical Beyblades used in a localised region of Beybladers. This is done in a competetive environment where a significant proportion (over 75% as an arbitary figure) of players have direct interaction with each other.
(Mar. 02, 2011  12:06 AM)Deikailo Wrote: Can someone define metagame? I think my definition of metagame is different from the wbo's use of it.

IIRC this is what the WBO uses http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metagaming#...nvironment (i think i saw a mod link this before)

what i think BladeStorm means is that the strategy (metagame) where they live is different from where bluezee lives (i may be wrong but i am 90% sure) < offtopic
(Mar. 02, 2011  12:15 AM)lord Wolfblade Wrote:
(Mar. 02, 2011  12:06 AM)Deikailo Wrote: Can someone define metagame? I think my definition of metagame is different from the wbo's use of it.

IIRC this is what the WBO uses http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metagaming#...nvironment (i think i saw a mod link this before)

what i think BladeStorm means is that the strategy (metagame) where they live is different from where bluezee lives (i may be wrong but i am 90% sure) < offtopic

Yes you read me perfectly, like if I were to go to Italy and use Earth 85WD I'd be demolished.
Oh our metagame is earth _____ 90/100WD
(Mar. 02, 2011  12:29 AM)Deikailo Wrote: Oh our metagame is earth _____ 90/100WD

what is the secondary archetype of Beyblades in your metagame?

London is

Primary archetype: Basalt/Hell 230CS
Secondary archetypes: Hell BD145 WD variants + Basalt and Libra combos designed for OS
Tertiary archetypes: Earth WD variants + Burn WD variants + the other Beyblades listed in the "Competetive beyblades list"

As you can see, the "Competetive beyblades" are actually outdated in the UK metagame considerably.
there is no secondary; there are so many other combos that you just can't classify. I've seen more and more attack combos emerge lately because stamina is not visually stimulating. I think you guys can buy in store from the in toy, right? We don't have that here so most players have hasbro and maybe one or two takara. That's why I've been pushing for so many tournaments at kings games. Alex is working on a japanese vendor for takara parts so our metagame will be more than earth...
(Mar. 02, 2011  12:51 AM)Deikailo Wrote: I think you guys can buy in store from the in toy, right? We don't have that here so most players have hasbro and maybe one or two takara. That's why I've been pushing for so many tournaments at kings games. Alex is working on a japanese vendor for takara parts so our metagame will be more than earth...

The main sellers are Local Toy stores, Dimsum2u, AkirasDaddy, Ebay, ControL_ and myself. We (ControL_ and I) have invested so much to provide beyblades for UK bladers who cannot shop online or acquire Beyblades otherwise.
Pretty much same here. I've already invested a few hundred into new york.
(Mar. 02, 2011  12:51 AM)Deikailo Wrote: there is no secondary; there are so many other combos that you just can't classify. I've seen more and more attack combos emerge lately because stamina is not visually stimulating.

I call those combos Low Grip SDRs for short. They are comprised of Storm Dark and Rock paired with low friction bottoms(anything not rubber).
(Feb. 28, 2011  10:29 PM)BladeStorm Wrote: My theory is that an emergent, high success combo, out of the parts pool becomes prominent in a localised region. This combo, I call the "Primary Archetype". This primary archetype is at the top of its region for having the most consistent results. unsurpisinglyy it falls to Earth WD to become our primary archetype because of the high success it has against random combos such as Storm 145HF, Rock ED145S, Dark 100HF/S. While not flawless, Earth WD, at that moment in time is the most consistent.

From this point, I believe the meta-game can diverge into different instances...

I've quoted my take on the evolution of divergent metagames from earlier. It seems to me that your metagame is at the "Pure, fundamental" stage where Earth WD beats the Low Grip SDRs.
(Mar. 02, 2011  12:59 AM)Deikailo Wrote: Dark has a use?

Bladers with few beyblades are forced to use it.
I refuse to use earth wd unless it is essential. were beginning to move past it
(Feb. 28, 2011  10:29 PM)BladeStorm Wrote: The second theory involves certain bladers I call as "Pacemakers", you would be one yourselfWink. Now in this instance, our friend Earth WD is in its prime and looks to stay that way...

I've quoted a divergent scenario from my earlier theory again:

(insert pacemaker action - this would be your refusal to use Earth WD unless essential) Now, which ever archetype of combo the "Pacemakers" use will alter the course of the metagame.
Just semantics I guess, but I don't think you can just say "our metagame is [customisation]"; it doesn't really make sense. You could say "our metagame revolves around [customisation]", or something similar.
Yes I believe the meta game is all about customisation as for example Vulcan and gravity both were originally made as defence pieces but it proves that by changing parts you can make outstandingly powerfull beys.
(Mar. 02, 2011  12:29 AM)Deikailo Wrote: Oh our metagame is earth _____ 90/100WD

I would say its actually Earth 85WD. Then again, I'm really the only one that uses it but it surely works better than anything else.
When a majority of the semi finalists use this combo or similar, I would say it's completely true.
(Mar. 02, 2011  1:24 AM)♥ Wrote: Just semantics I guess, but I don't think you can just say "our metagame is [customisation]"; it doesn't really make sense. You could say "our metagame revolves around [customisation]", or something similar.
(Mar. 02, 2011  4:00 AM)Deikailo Wrote: When a majority of the semi finalists use this combo or similar, I would say it's completely true.
(Mar. 02, 2011  1:24 AM)♥ Wrote: Just semantics I guess, but I don't think you can just say "our metagame is [customisation]"; it doesn't really make sense. You could say "our metagame revolves around [customisation]", or something similar.
What I am saying is, the main combo that is winning more often than not above all others should be the top-tier of the metagame correct?
(Mar. 02, 2011  4:10 AM)Bluezee Wrote: What I am saying is, the main combo that is winning more often than not above all others should be the top-tier of the metagame correct?

It is the top tier of the metagame. But it is of the same archetype as Earth 90/100WD.
Okay, so I know why mfh basalt aquario 230cs beats (for example) mff earth bull 85wd. Look at them side on, late in the battle, when basalt wobbles, ot smacks down on earth, putting it off balance, and having a similar effect to putting your hand down on top of the ltsc. It's heavy, and being hit back up (only a little, due to weight etc) only helps basalt regain balance.

Libra might even help, Given mid-recoil, weight, and balance properties. Going to do some research, but yeah. I suppose if we find a counter that's weak only to attack, it'd let rf have a place. But yeah...
I've seen ControL_ utilise sliding shoot to KO low track beyblades with the grooves on the CS. (MF-H Basalt Cancer 230CS). This was done competetively in the last tournament. The grooves on the CS even help this already formidable combo.
Fair point, I've seen similar, and agree, that's what pushes earth bull away. But the big hurt is it slamming on top.

Anyway, I have one possible combo that's versatile and eems to do well vs our basalt combo. Hell Kerbecs BD145MF (boost mode). So far, it narrowly beats earth bull 85wd in all the battles I've done, is reasonably reliable vs basalt, and seems to do half decent vs mf lightning l drago 85LRF, though that lrf is very fresh.
I think adding an mf might hurt it vs ltscs.
Also, I'm curious to see how hell kerbecs bd145cs does, shot offensively, vs our basalt combo, but only have one good cs.
EDIT: Turns out I was using my Hasbro Earth, not my TT mold 2. This combo isn't managing to beat MFF Earth (TT2) Bull 85WD now. HOWEVER, Hell Kerbecs BD145CS seems to manage. I think it'll do just as well vs basalt, but if anyone can test it, that'd be great.

Also, seeing as we lack a non advanced thread for it, I'm just going to.leave this here: our tier list is terribly out of date, most of the low attack combos are less effective now, vulcan is pretty much dead, alongside pegasis, hell combos (notably bd145wd) destroy other stamina combos.
Going further, basalt is murdering rf attackers, along with everything else, metal flat may help, but needs testing and time for people to get the hang of it. Frankly, with all the new beys, we're swamped with undiscovered possibilities. And big bang, and possibly moreso destroy l drago, it's not gonna get easier soon. And, the practicality of rs/rsf needs to be reviewed.

I don't envy those of you who have to go through and review that, though.
Michael was explaining MF-H Hell BD145CS to me as a 230counter before the Feb Freeze tournament. I believe he landed on that not working for some reason, but Gravity Perseus Stamina doing better; MF-H Hell BD145CS still couldn't do it (Basalt just pwned), although it does to the slightly outclassed MF-H Flame 230CS.
Dang, seemed to be working okay for me. BladeStorm/Michael, care to explain?
That said, a use for Perseus (STA) would be nice, do you recall the actual combo?
Sorry, I keep calling BladeStorm Michael :s
Yep BladeStorm (nearly did Michael again.....) said the 6 protusions on STA helped to somewhat destabilise the 230. He's offline on MSN meaning he can not be at home (it just does) at the moment.