Wii Prejudice -- Do you have it?

So I've recently realized that I've become very prejudiced towards the Wii.

Which is odd as I used to be one of those who made fun of that type of person. The one who thought they were too hardcore for the Wii and made fun of its simplistic and inclusive approach to gaming.

So what happened in the past few months to make me feel this way? Easy answer. Nintendo has done nothing but butcher third party games and support. From the very outset I knew that the Wii was going to be underpowered in terms of graphics and sheer power and at the time I was ok with that. Twilight Princess came along and showed me that you don't need amazing graphics and 60 frames per second animations to make an awesome game.

Since then I've been left wondering why the hell I still own a Wii. Nintendo effectively crippled the Wii when they decided not to beef up the technical side of the package and in the process broke every third party game that attempted to cater to a hardcore audience. Now you have people like myself who were originally proponents of the Wii, those that preached its gospels to non-believers who now loathe the system.

I was promised exciting new game play and entirely new games in general with the advent of the Wii. Unfortunately all I've been given is nothing but carp PS2/PSP ports, a ton of licensed carp (Ratatouille and all those other obnoxious movie tie-ins) and numerous mini-game collections. Granted there have been a few exceptions -- Paper Mario and Metroid Prime 3 are the only ones I can think of, however. Of course, Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros. Brawl are going to be amazing, but my real point here is this: Third party games are always going to be inferior on the Wii when compared to their 360/PS3 counterparts and it's not just in terms of how the games look.

Case in point: Guitar Hero III. When it was announced that the game would ship without a Co-Op Quick Play option the developers responded by quickly whipping up a patch that could be downloaded on launch day to fix the problem and give users what they wanted. The catch is, this was only for the 360 version of the game. A PS3 patch is still up in the air at the moment, but not even the developers of the game know what's going to happen with the Wii version. Sure this may not sound like such a big issue to a lot of you, but think about the ramifications this problem could present later on down the line. Say a game ships across 360/PS3/Wii and it has a game breaking bug. The PS3/360 versions easily get patched via XBL/PSN but Wii is carp. Nintendo has an online distribution service via the Wii Shop Channel as well as WiiConnect24 so why the hell isn't it being put to use for simple things such as patches?

But the problem doesn't stop there. There's also the issue of online play. How on Earth are you supposed to co-operate with another player online on Wii when you can't even talk to said player? There's not even an option for text chatting, which admittedly would be difficult to pull off in a GH game, but nonetheless, the problem still exists.

Of course, we can't forget Nintendo being zealots Nazis with the Friend Code system. Having to enter a 16 digit code for every game that's online is absolutely ridiculous. You'd think that with all the negative feedback on the issue Nintendo would finally give in and change the system. Unfortunately they have not.

My whole point of this lengthy post was to ask you guys the same question: Are you prejudiced towards the Wii? Do you see a multi-platform game (AKA one game on PS3, 360 and Wii, etc.) on Wii and automatically dismiss it because you know the other two versions will be better?

The reason I'm asking is because this has the potential to become a serious problem for Nintendo going forward. Two or three years down the line from now when 360 and PS3 really start getting pushed to their graphical and technical limits (Online play, etc.) the Wii is going to look like total carp when compared to the two.

But is this really even an issue as Nintendo wanted to distance themselves from MS and Sony in the first place?

What do you all think?
tl;dr

I want to love the Wii but they're making it hard. Unhappy
Yeah, I'm pretty much the exact same as Ryan. Only reason I still own a Wii is for SMG and SSBB.
*is not Wiiist, XD*

Basically, platform wars have never been a huge concern for me. If there's a good game out, I'll play it, as long as it's not on XBOX. XD Other than that, it doesn't matter to me what platform it's on.

As for the Wii's gaming content, keep in mind it's a system geared towards the family demographic. They're trying to make games that parents and young kids will enjoy. There are only a few titles here and there that I'm interested in, but hey, it's not a big deal for me. I'll play what seems interesting, and if there isn't, I have other games to occupy my time and attention. Obviously Smash Brothers Brawl aims to break the curve of kiddy games. Let's see where the Wii goes from there.

If you think another console's version of a game is going to be more enjoyable, then just play that version. No need to whine about it. At least they're smart enough to cater to everybody.

Guitar Hero? Not my concern.

Messaging during play? And thus God created the telephone. Or, over greater distances, instant messaging. Every time I'm engaged in battle with someone over Wi-Fi, I've got my laptop next to me with an MSN window open with the same person I'm fighting.

A lot of lazy people carp about the Friend Code System, but I honestly don't mind it. So I have to type in a few numbers to play against a specific person. Big deal. As long as I get to play without interruption. Some people I've seen at conventions even show off their full Friend Lists as status symbols. XD

The only example I can think of in favor of your argument is the recently released Simpsons Game. I bought the PS2 version over any other. Why? Because I have easier access to the PS2. That's pretty much the only reason.
I'm the opposite..
The Wii is the only console I care for.
360? uh... Bioshock was alright, Halo 3 had its moments... . and... uh... it's version of Guitar Hero 2 had extra songs? thats about as much as I can think of.
PS3? well,... There isn't anything out for the PS3 I want right now, and nothing has been announced that I actually do want. as far as I'm concerned.. the PS3 is useless.

I couldn't give a carp about graphics. an underpowered system doesn't mean squat to me.
Hell, I'm still content enough to play nothing but NES and SNES games.
and Online play? bah, I only go online with my Wii to get new Virtual Console games. The only game I plan on going online with will be Smash Bros. Brawl, and I'll be doing random matchups for that.
Friendcodes don't bother me, I've used enough of them with the DS that they just don't phase me.

On the topic of Guitar Hero 3.. I love my Wii version. the Guitar works wonderful AND it works using the Remote as its power source (and the functions of rumble and tilt). Co-Op Quickplayer? who the hell cares? Maybe some do, I don't.
And chatting during online play? I'd rather not for the most part. Too many immature brats online thinking that they're the "Ultimate Gamer" and can trash talk anyone who thinks otherwise.
If its a friend, chances are I'd be talking to them on MSN at the same point.

Games have been slow lately, but great!
Super Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 3... both great.
Zack & Wiki? I adore this game, It's given me a ton of enjoyment so far.
Fire Emblem comes out tomorrow, I'll sure as hell be going for that.
And, Galaxy and Brawl, no way am I missing those.
Batallion Wars 2 will definitely be purchased by the end of the year as well.

I may sound like a Wii fangirl, and I guess I am.
Nintendo hasn't given me any reason NOT to like the Wii.
Its got good games, and between those games I have the Virtual Console service to tide me over with some fabulous old games.
I see no reason to complain, I'm not a graphics carp, or an Online player (for the most part)
I really wonder if Ichida ever has fully formulated opinions or simply spouts off nonsense.
wow i can't even respond to your post now ichida

i'll get to that tomorrow
http://ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20070727 well this basically sums up the ps3 at the moment.

as for the wii at the beginning i was really looking forwards to the wii but ever since i havent played it as much as i thought i would. it has a small number of games that i find appealing. though they have done a great job on the ones that i do like
CtrlAltDel has NEVER been funny.

I thought it was kinda cute. Not really funny, but cute. lol
The wii was the first ever console I ever bought and I've been pretty happy with it. I don't play on it as much as I did when I got it but I find the best thing about the wii is playing with friends. You just can't beat a mad multiplayer warioware game, or bowling tournament. You don't even have to be good at the games to enjoy them.

Now I'm not a gaming enthusiast, I play on my brother's ps2 every now and again and I have a ds which I mainly play on when travelling, so I don't know much about the bigger cross platform games but I enjoy what the wii has to offer. Its a family, party console and thats what its good at.
uhh atm wii is really gay tbh, i didn't even like zelda: tp, and fifa controls were more annoying than innovative Unhappy

but I have huge hopes for Mario Kart Wii, Mario Galaxy, Medal of Honor: Heroes 2, Tales of Symphonia: Knight of "somethingiforgot" and of course Brawl
I like the wii, but I wish they had more games thats why I can't wait for Star wars for the Wii cuz you'll finally be able to wield a lightsaber using the Wii-mote ooooooooooh its so exciting =)
Ichida Wrote:*is not Wiiist, XD*

Basically, platform wars have never been a huge concern for me. If there's a good game out, I'll play it, as long as it's not on XBOX. XD Other than that, it doesn't matter to me what platform it's on.
Jesus Ichida wtf do you have against the Xbox? ok so you don't like shooters I understand that, but stop dissing the Xbox its a good system.
And this would be the reason why I passed up a Wii, and bought a Xbox 360..
I only have a Wii for SSBB. I don't really like any games anymore. I do like the Wii better than the other nextgen systems though.
Roan Wrote:So what happened in the past few months to make me feel this way? Easy answer. Nintendo has done nothing but butcher third party games and support. From the very outset I knew that the Wii was going to be underpowered in terms of graphics and sheer power and at the time I was ok with that. Twilight Princess came along and showed me that you don't need amazing graphics and 60 frames per second animations to make an awesome game.

Since then I've been left wondering why the hell I still own a Wii. Nintendo effectively crippled the Wii when they decided not to beef up the technical side of the package and in the process broke every third party game that attempted to cater to a hardcore audience. Now you have people like myself who were originally proponents of the Wii, those that preached its gospels to non-believers who now loathe the system.

I was promised exciting new game play and entirely new games in general with the advent of the Wii. Unfortunately all I've been given is nothing but carp PS2/PSP ports, a ton of licensed carp (Ratatouille and all those other obnoxious movie tie-ins) and numerous mini-game collections. Granted there have been a few exceptions -- Paper Mario and Metroid Prime 3 are the only ones I can think of, however. Of course, Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros. Brawl are going to be amazing, but my real point here is this: Third party games are always going to be inferior on the Wii when compared to their 360/PS3 counterparts and it's not just in terms of how the games look.

-----

But the problem doesn't stop there. There's also the issue of online play. How on Earth are you supposed to co-operate with another player online on Wii when you can't even talk to said player? There's not even an option for text chatting, which admittedly would be difficult to pull off in a GH game, but nonetheless, the problem still exists.

Of course, we can't forget Nintendo being zealots Nazis with the Friend Code system. Having to enter a 16 digit code for every game that's online is absolutely ridiculous. You'd think that with all the negative feedback on the issue Nintendo would finally give in and change the system. Unfortunately they have not.

My whole point of this lengthy post was to ask you guys the same question: Are you prejudiced towards the Wii? Do you see a multi-platform game (AKA one game on PS3, 360 and Wii, etc.) on Wii and automatically dismiss it because you know the other two versions will be better?

The reason I'm asking is because this has the potential to become a serious problem for Nintendo going forward. Two or three years down the line from now when 360 and PS3 really start getting pushed to their graphical and technical limits (Online play, etc.) the Wii is going to look like total carp when compared to the two.

But is this really even an issue as Nintendo wanted to distance themselves from MS and Sony in the first place?

What do you all think?

I know this doesn't apply to everyone, but graphics aren't everything. This did not cripple the Wii, and it never will. Just as many games that come out for PS3/360 can't come out for Wii now because of the technical differences, there are games that have come out on Wii that can not come out on PS3/360 (well, they could, but they wouldn't be as enjoyable on those consoles).

I know where you're coming from when you talk about all the crappy ports, but I cannot comprehend that you believe there is very few new gaming experiences, and entirely new games now that the Wii has almost been out for a year. Like you mentioned, there is MP3, SPM, SMG, and SSBB, but you seem to be overlooking the following games; Mario Strikers Charged, Mario Kart Wii, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Dewy's Adventure, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles, RE4: Wii Edition (yeah, it was a port, but an awesome one), WarioWare: Smooth Moves, Madden 07/08, SSX Blur, Elebits, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Dragonball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2/3, Geometry Wars: Galaxies, Medal of Honour: Heroes 2, and more. All of these games were all regarded as pretty decent games, and the ones that I listed that are going to be released will most likely be that as well.

So don't go saying that Nintendo has butchered third-party games and support. There are plenty of good third-party games out there, and it's up to the developers to come up with new and fresh experiences. Also, the way it's going now, there isn't and aren't going to be that many third-party games on all three consoles. Reason being, graphical power and controls. Of course, this isn't an issue for Nintendo though because as they've said many times, they are trying to distance themselves from Microsoft and Sony. If there was three versions of a game though, I wouldn't dismiss the Wii version because I know that even though the PS3 and 360 have the graphical edge, the Wii has the controls. A good example of this would be the Madden franchise on Wii, I found Football to be extremely boring and would never consider playing a Madden game until I tried Madden 07 for Wii. The effort that EA put into the controls on that game just made it so much more enjoyable.

As for Friend Codes, they are ridiculous, no one can argue against that; especially if you've spent any time on Xbox Live. With that said though, I really don't find them all that annoying. I'd love for them to implement a new system, but that probably won't be happening anytime soon, so we just have to live with it.

Consider this: Two to three years down the road, the PS3 and 360 will be pushing their limits, but what about Wii? Don't you think that it will be pushing it's own limits? Both graphically, and control wise?

With all this said, I believe that each console has it's own path to greatness that it is following, and that the Wii is making giant strides on it's path right now.
I've always had a Wii prejudice. I honestly didn't think they could bounce back after the Gamecube, which I thought only did marginally well because of its low price. Given, there are some fun original games, but honestly, I think their support sucks and only some ported games are that worth it to buy.
As far as console gaming goes, Nintendo just has all of my favorite titles. The VC is always awesome as well.
Well there's no denying that Wii has awesome first party support.

Kei, some of those games you listed aren't out yet so I don't think its all that fair to include them in an argument when trying to prove the Wii's third party worth.

However, most of the ones you listed that are out are only scoring in the average to good range (6-7 on a 10 point scale). At this point there are no third party titles that I feel I have to rush out and buy. Zack and Wiki looks interesting, but not for $50. Same with Geometry Wars. I'm perfectly happy with the $4 version I bought over XBL.

I honestly don't consider the Wii's controls an edge most of the time. Most games that attempt to utilize the motion control totally fail at it. SSX Blur was ok once you got used to it but even when you did pulling off the uber tricks was nigh impossible. Other games like RE4 and Okami make sense being ported to Wii and using the system's controls. But a lot of other ports (Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, etc.) really don't belong on the system and even you can't deny they were cash-ins meant to capitalize on the Wii's (In my opinion, rather undeserved) popularity.

I was under the impression that Wii would be the home console version of DS. That is, it would have new, unique and generally interesting games to play. Where tons of developers have jumped onto the DS bandwagon and come out with some truly awesome stuff (Trauma Center, Lunar Knights, Jump Super Stars, etc.) the Wii has yet to get there for me.

I guess I could understand if the Wii was the only console you had, but seeing as how I also own a 360 I constantly find myself dissatisfied with my Wii and questioning my decision to purchase one. I was wondering if anyone else felt the same.

I don't just dismiss Wii games because of the lesser graphical quality. That would be stupid. I dismiss Wii games because there has not been any third party developer to prove me otherwise when it comes to the controls on Wii. Also, what is it with developers dumbing down their games for Wii? For instance, Madden 08 on Wii has a "Family Mode" where you don't have to run the ball or anything. You just press A and play the game. That's it.

I want to love the Wii, I really do. I just can't right now.
It's important to remember that the DS was a piece of carp for a substantial period of time after its release.
I know, which is why I gave the Wii a year of grace because I did the same for DS.

DS didn't start to get awesome until around a year after it came out.
What are you talking about Brad? Hunters was a great demo, I played it all the time with my friends on the bus to school, before Mariokart came out.
I bought the Wii for one game only: SSBB. And it is damn worth it.