Wii Prejudice -- Do you have it?

Roan Wrote:Well there's no denying that Wii has awesome first party support.

Kei, some of those games you listed aren't out yet so I don't think its all that fair to include them in an argument when trying to prove the Wii's third party worth.

However, most of the ones you listed that are out are only scoring in the average to good range (6-7 on a 10 point scale). At this point there are no third party titles that I feel I have to rush out and buy. Zack and Wiki looks interesting, but not for $50. Same with Geometry Wars. I'm perfectly happy with the $4 version I bought over XBL.

I honestly don't consider the Wii's controls an edge most of the time. Most games that attempt to utilize the motion control totally fail at it. SSX Blur was ok once you got used to it but even when you did pulling off the uber tricks was nigh impossible. Other games like RE4 and Okami make sense being ported to Wii and using the system's controls. But a lot of other ports (Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, etc.) really don't belong on the system and even you can't deny they were cash-ins meant to capitalize on the Wii's (In my opinion, rather undeserved) popularity.

I was under the impression that Wii would be the home console version of DS. That is, it would have new, unique and generally interesting games to play. Where tons of developers have jumped onto the DS bandwagon and come out with some truly awesome stuff (Trauma Center, Lunar Knights, Jump Super Stars, etc.) the Wii has yet to get there for me.

I guess I could understand if the Wii was the only console you had, but seeing as how I also own a 360 I constantly find myself dissatisfied with my Wii and questioning my decision to purchase one. I was wondering if anyone else felt the same.

I don't just dismiss Wii games because of the lesser graphical quality. That would be stupid. I dismiss Wii games because there has not been any third party developer to prove me otherwise when it comes to the controls on Wii. Also, what is it with developers dumbing down their games for Wii? For instance, Madden 08 on Wii has a "Family Mode" where you don't have to run the ball or anything. You just press A and play the game. That's it.

I want to love the Wii, I really do. I just can't right now.

I know they aren't, but from what I've seen, most of them look like their going to be pretty good. Yeah, they are scoring that, but I didn't say they were all 10/10 titles.

I think that with time, more third-party support will come (ex. Trauma Center: New Blood, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles, NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams [which will apparantly have online racing?! WiFi Details]). Seriously, why would a company not want to develop a game for Wii? It's just so popular right now. As you've stated a few times now though, a lot of those companies are just trying to cash in on it's popularity. Honestly, I don't understand why more companies won't invest time in the Wii. Porting is easier, but creating something truly special is better. You wonder whether developers at these companies truly care about the games they make, or if they just want easy money.

Btw, uber tricks in SSX Blur aren't that hard to pull off. After playing the game for a while, I found it pretty easy to pull them off. And are you saying that the controls in Madden 07/08 on Wii didn't impress you? I thought they were pretty good, and this is coming from someone who hates football. That Family Play mode is there for a reason, so that anyone can play regardless of their video gaming experience and play against traditional gamers without getting blown away; I personally think it was a great idea by EA.

Honestly, even though I want a 360, there really isn't enough games on it that I like to warrant a purchase. I'd much rather buy a ton of the great games that are coming out for Wii. This is really a matter of opinion though. If you look through what has been released and what will be released, I don't see how you can be completely disappointed with the Wii.
All I can say is wait for the good games to come. The same thing happened to the DS and look at it now!
The Family Mode in a few Wii games is exactly what I'm talking about though.

Nintendo treats people like they are too ignorant to learn to play a video game. Granted, the reason so many people don't is because they are (for the most part) hard to pick up and the controls are usually a bit difficult to grasp.

But this doesn't mean you have to strip down the game entirely where the only button you press is A. This is equal to telling a five year old they can't watch TV because they can't read the words. It just doesn't make sense. Nintendo has effectively turned their console into video games for babies or those with severe mental handicaps.

Everlasting_Blader, waiting is exactly the problem. Whereas 360 and PS3 (Ok PS3 is not quite there yet either, but it does have some stuff coming soon) have a pretty steady stream of strong releases from both first and third parties, the Wii has gaping holes in its release schedule between triple-A games with crappy cash-in ports, minigame collections and "Touch Generations" garbage to fill in the spots. I buy a new game for my Wii maybe once every 4-5 months, if not less often. On 360 I buy or at least want a new game almost every week or two.

Metroid Prime 3 was the last game I bought for my Wii. I beat the game three days later and since then my Wii has been unplugged and sitting there. MP3 came out in what, August? It's now November and I still won't have a reason to play my Wii until Mario Galaxy comes out and after I plow through that chances are I won't touch it again until February when SSBB comes out. Do you see what I'm getting at here?

There's no denying that Nintendo has beefed up its third-party support for the Wii, but in my honest opinion, they've done it the wrong way. Did you know that Nintendo has changed it's approval policy so that almost any game can now be published on their systems? Nintendo had an infamous knack for being overly strict on game approval back in the NES/SNES days and for damn good reason. But now they are so desperate for any third party support that they'll take whatever they can get.

And I'm sorry, but NiGHTS does not look like a good game. Nor does Umbrella Chronicles. :\
Nintendo fans sure are the most optimistic. Thing is, Nintendo is getting more arrogant and arrogant by the number of Wiis they are selling.

I don't dismiss Wii gams graphically, however horsepower DOES matter. You'll never see a game like Dead Rising (even though it sucks lol), with so many AI at the screen at one time, on Wii. AI, Physics etcetera, all help the gameplay experience much more than poorly implemented motion controls.

I won't even talk about online (or lack thereof).
Quote:Nintendo fans sure are the most optimistic. Thing is, Nintendo is getting more arrogant and arrogant by the number of Wiis they are selling.

Sadly, this is the feeling I'm getting as well. Unhappy
I don't think Nintendo fans are the most optimistic; rather, the most apologetic. :\
In the end it's more about preference. The main reason I bought my wii is for Brawl, among other nintendo titles which I look forward to playing.

I skimmed over the 360 library a few minutes ago. The few games I was interested in are games that(for the most part) are available on the pc or even the wii(GH3)/ps2(rock band). There aren't really any 360 originals that I myself would be willing to sink $60 into. As the generations boast better hardware, the quality of videogames is going down. I don't want some playable movie, graphic-carp's wet dream, I want a game. Most developers stoped making real games after snes, and almost all of them did after n64/ps1. The last sp game I really got into was probably WW, which is sad. I mostly play games now as a social thing with my friends. Cod4 came out today, I'll be playing it a whole lot. The main reason for this is that all of my friends will be there playing with me. Newer games just don't seem to hold interest anymore.
Yup.

You're absolutely right, Michael. Games just aren't games anymore. Because we don't have to meet certain objectives and do so by pressing buttons.

Games are just interactive cinemas.

Really, you're being stupid. Its been a good 15-20 years since the SNES days. Games are still games, they've just evolved into being more than a vehicle for pressing buttons.

Games are a medium now that tend to carry stories and real meaning to them. Not all games are like this, obviously, but games and the hobby of gaming in general have evolved.

Saying that because they've evolved they aren't games anymore is just ignorant.
Roan Wrote:Games are just interactive cinemas.

qft

And please don't call me stupid. It's not like I'm saying all new gen games are bad, I'm saying that I prefer older gen.
SexyMichael Wrote:

qft

Nice try at twisting my words.

Unfortunately, you must have missed the seeping sarcasm in that sentence.
I agree with him in the sense that I really don't get as excited by games as I used to, but older-style games are still great. I think 2D games tend to be way more fun, to be honest.
Roan Wrote:
SexyMichael Wrote:

qft

Nice try at twisting my words.

Unfortunately, you must have missed the seeping sarcasm in that sentence.

It was a joke lol.
I'm the total opposite.

Most older games (Pre-N64/PS1) bore the carp out of me.

Obviously there are a few exceptions (SMB3 anyone?) but overall it holds true.

Today's games are awesome. I've had the most fun playing through BioShock than I have any other game in recent memory. The story, the atmosphere, the game play... Everything was so immersive. I loved every second of that game. All three times that I've played through it.

Before Ocarina of Time there wasn't a game that I had beaten more than once and quite a few that I had never beaten at all. I lose interest in a lot of those games very quickly. :\
i too am wii prejudiced. I think what really did it for me was when people started touting it as OMG and ps3 as SHitt/phailure (i can not deny, im sony bias). frankly imo only really the concept was good.

people were dissing ps3 launch titles, wii's was hardly better, and ps3 has better library by now

I felt since the day I tried excite truck(january) it was lame. Orignally i thought metroid would lure me, but nah Id rather buy a gc and play prime and echos.
games like wario ware and mario party, wii sports are gimicky at best, no depth, for me I grow tired of that type of gameplay.

Micheal I have to disagree, there are plenty of great games being produced today (perhaps orignality is strained).
often the reason that people speak of some reniessance a is because by the time they recollect, all the carp stuff was forgotten; there were lots of carp games in the 80's and 90's
same thing with movies and music
Nintendo is a business. Any successful business tries to target as wide a market as possible. Nintendo has done this.

Unfortunately, the niche markets (gamers with a bit more passion - think Ichida, but not necessarily that passionate), get put in the backseat for the sake of good business.
On the topic of the PS3 being dismissed... the fact is, sure, they may have loaded it down with expensive technology, and it's visually appealing from what we've seen thus far, but it hasn't been out long enough for the real games to come out, like SoulCalibur IV, and Fabula Novae Crystallis: Final Fantasy XIII, which involves two PS3 games that take place in the same world but with totally opposite gameplay, to cater both to fans who like strategical battles and fans who like high-speed battles. What some people don't realize is that we have yet to see what the PS3 can give us, so don't dismiss it yet. Hell, some people thought Sony producing any sort of game console was strange at first.
Ichida Wrote:On the topic of the PS3 being dismissed... the fact is, sure, they may have loaded it down with expensive technology, and it's visually appealing from what we've seen thus far, but it hasn't been out long enough for the real games to come out, like SoulCalibur IV, and Fabula Novae Crystallis: Final Fantasy XIII, which involves two PS3 games that take place in the same world but with totally opposite gameplay, to cater both to fans who like strategical battles and fans who like high-speed battles. What some people don't realize is that we have yet to see what the PS3 can give us, so don't dismiss it yet. Hell, some people thought Sony producing any sort of game console was strange at first.

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what comes out for it when nobody can afford the carp thing.
Surely though by improving the graphics, power, etc of the wii system you just bring it stright into line with the other systems. Isn't it better to have three completely different systems of which you can pick which you would prefer. Then diferent games can be brought out for the differing tastes in gaming. Yes there should be some cross platforming so that the big name titles can come out across all three, but it wouldn't be the sole reason for buying a console. If all three had the same releases then it would simply be a power war to sell the most consoles. By having majorly differnt gameplay each console can have its own identity and therefore its own followers.
I'm sure this has been said before, but it really does come down to personal preference. In my case, I find Nintendo consoles and the games that get released on them to be much more enjoyable than the other consoles (not that the other consoles are bad or anything).

I could say more, but it really won't change anything here.
Roan Wrote:I know, which is why I gave the Wii a year of grace because I did the same for DS.

DS didn't start to get awesome until around a year after it came out.

well DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH geez after a year they said "ew this thing is too big and ugly. Lets modify it!" and thus The DS lite was born.
Litrid Wrote:
Roan Wrote:I know, which is why I gave the Wii a year of grace because I did the same for DS.

well DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH geez after a year they said "ew this thing is too big and ugly. Lets modify it!" and thus The DS lite was born.

i have no problem with the original DS. actually i prefer it over the DS lite because that thing is to dam small. the only problem i have is that it doesnt have WAP support so i need to use that damn usb thingy to use it online
Litrid Wrote:

Except I still have an original DS (red) and the DS was doing very well long before the Lite came out. And uh, I'm pretty sure the original DS has WAP support.
PS3 has come down in price by a lot, I'll give it that.

Unfortunately, those price cuts have come at the cost of dropping hardware functions such as backwards compatibility.

Mamph, I'm not arguing the fact that the three consoles are designed for different tastes. I'm merely saying that the Wii should've been given more than just a new controller to differentiate itself from the other two consoles.

As far as I'm concerned, the Wii is a redesigned Gamecube with a controller that now responds to waggle. It sounds like some sort of TV Infomercial special. Business wise it made perfect sense for Nintendo to do this. They can make literally billions in profit by rehashing last gen's hardware with only marginal upgrades and calling it a new system.

For once I actually agree with Suzaku. The Wii's controller is a brilliant concept, but thus far I think it has failed to evolve beyond that.

Maybe I wouldn't be bitching so much if it weren't for the fact that the Wii is largely overpopulated with bad games. Whereas Sony has a problem having too few games that are mostly bad, Nintendo has a carp of games that are mostly bad.

I'm not saying I want to see big third party games like Grand Theft Auto or Assassin's Creed show up on Wii. I'm saying that I want third parties to grow some balls and make some original games (AKA Not Ports or Minigames or any of that Eye/Brain Training carp) that truly take advantage of the Wii's capabilities and do so well. Manhunt 2 is a good example of a game that belongs on Wii, where the controller actually enhances the game play rather than hinders it. The Wii's one year of grace is almost over. Now it's time for Nintendo to put up or shut up.
Quote:Manhunt 2 is a good example of a game that belongs on Wii, where the controller actually enhances the game play rather than hinders it.

Too bad it's disgusting and absolutely carp.
Tamer Brad Wrote:
Quote:Manhunt 2 is a good example of a game that belongs on Wii, where the controller actually enhances the game play rather than hinders it.

Too bad it's disgusting and absolutely carp.

I liked it. D: