Why do ebay sellers try to sell without the box?

I'm talking about new products like a prize bey from a random booster or something.

I can understand if you're selling part of your old collection or a really old bey, but collectors are usually the ones buying these prize beys, and want the box.

It makes no sense to try to save cost on shipping when most buyers want the box and will just move on to the next listing.

Think of any other collectible, like a doll or action figure, a retail box is preferred, with loose products being more acceptable if it's old or used.

Just had to rant a bit and see what others had to think.
(Sep. 20, 2021  7:57 PM)TENKAGE Wrote: I'm talking about new products like a prize bey from a random booster or something.

I can understand if you're selling part of your old collection or a really old bey, but collectors are usually the ones buying these prize beys, and want the box.

It makes no sense to try to save cost on shipping when most buyers want the box and will just move on to the next listing.

Think of any other collectible, like a doll or action figure, a retail box is preferred, with loose products being more acceptable if it's old or used.

Not all collectors care about the box, and some (like me) only see it as a method to prove authenticity. Issue is fake Beyblades are usually so obvious that a box doesn't actually mean anything on that front because the naked eye can tell at a glance, so what exactly does the box give you again? This is especially true when most buyers are buying because they want to use that bey, so they're going to just remove it from the box anyways.

Of course this isn't as accurate with MFB, where midfakes provide a reason to have the box just to verify a proper production code. Midfakes are a scourge that way, and the box is a far more important method of identifying real and midfake.

Like, in the end this is the sort of thing that only affects the sort of collectors that want a line of boxes on their shelves, and that's a very, very small group compared to everyone else.
(Sep. 20, 2021  8:12 PM)MagikHorse Wrote:
(Sep. 20, 2021  7:57 PM)TENKAGE Wrote: I'm talking about new products like a prize bey from a random booster or something.

Not all collectors care about the box, and some (like me) only see it as a method to prove authenticity. Issue is fake Beyblades are usually so obvious that a box doesn't actually mean anything on that front because the naked eye can tell at a glance, so what exactly does the box give you again? This is especially true when most buyers are buying because they want to use that bey, so they're going to just remove it from the box anyways.

Of course this isn't as accurate with MFB, where midfakes provide a reason to have the box just to verify a proper production code. Midfakes are a scourge that way, and the box is a far more important method of identifying real and midfake.

Like, in the end this is the sort of thing that only affects the sort of collectors that want a line of boxes on their shelves, and that's a very, very small group compared to everyone else.

Wow, I'm surprised you would just chuck the box in the trash, to each their own I suppose.

Personally I find the box to each bey unique and full of great art and information. The exception is random booster boxes, if you buy a whole set you probably only need to retain on of the boxes.

Not gonna lie, sounds odd if the protocol for most bey collectors here is to discard the box. It just kinda goes against the typical behavior seen in regards to toy collecting in general.

Some people just dont care about the box and throw them away
but other people just want to sell fake beys
as without the box on the image, there is almost no way to tell if it is fake
(Sep. 20, 2021  11:11 PM)TENKAGE Wrote:
(Sep. 20, 2021  8:12 PM)MagikHorse Wrote: Not all collectors care about the box, and some (like me) only see it as a method to prove authenticity. Issue is fake Beyblades are usually so obvious that a box doesn't actually mean anything on that front because the naked eye can tell at a glance, so what exactly does the box give you again? This is especially true when most buyers are buying because they want to use that bey, so they're going to just remove it from the box anyways.

Wow, I'm surprised you would just chuck the box in the trash, to each their own I suppose.

Personally I find the box to each bey unique and full of great art and information. The exception is random booster boxes, if you buy a whole set you probably only need to retain on of the boxes.

Not gonna lie, sounds odd if the protocol for most bey collectors here is to discard the box. It just kinda goes against the typical behavior seen in regards to toy collecting in general.

If I kept every box for my 600+ Burst bey collection, I'd need a whole new room for them. Trust me, having a ton of empty boxes lying around is definitely not something I have the room for, not to mention how big of a fire hazard that would be. Some will keep a few of their more liked boxes, but keeping every box is not very realistic overall.

Information is nothing new, and I have all that memorized anyways. A lot of that "information" is marketing spiel anyways, and not always accurate (especially regarding performance statistics). If it's information you need this forum or the wiki will do you better than the boxes will.

For other toys the boxes can serve as an easier way to sort the collection or store them when not in use. For Beyblades this is generally untrue, as the parts are so easily split among different combos due to its customization focus. It's a long time-consuming task to return everything to stock when you're done that only gets worse the more you have, so eventually it becomes easier to simply sort them by part type and store them separated or just leave them assembled as they currently are.

In the end the boxes just really don't have much purpose after being opened short of taking space and looking pretty, and I know I don't have the space for them with this many in my possession. People would sooner treat most beys like a prized baseball and put the bey itself in a glass case to show off before doing that to the box, unless they intend to keep it NIB and showcase that as-is (for instance, if it's old and hard to find NIB anymore such as an old Plastic gen or HMS bey). Exceptions may exist for the MFB and Plastic gen Burst remake sets, which had boxes built to be showy that might be worth saving.
In the end people can do what they want with the boxes, as they bought them with their bey, if you think they take up too much room sure chucking the box is one solution. I'm not here to tell people how they should or shouldn't handle their personal collection.

However, the fact remains beyblades are a sometimes an
expensive collectible to justify throwing the box away sometimes. To try to sell anything new without the box is just strange in the first place. The box is part of the complete product, wether a person wants to throw it away or not, it's improper to sell something new without one.
(Sep. 21, 2021  2:35 PM)TENKAGE Wrote: In the end people can do what they want with the boxes, as they bought them with their bey, if you think they take up too much room sure chucking the box is one solution. I'm not here to tell people how they should or shouldn't handle their personal collection.

expensive collectible to justify throwing the box away sometimes. To try to sell anything new without the box is just strange in the first place. The box is part of the complete product, wether a person wants to throw it away or not, it's improper to sell something new without one.

I've also seen basically nobody trying to sell something as new without a box either, outside of 3.style who often does so by splitting boxes with multiple things inside down to parts (e.g. selling the Savior Valkyrie launcher in one listing and the bey itself without the launcher in another). That's an exception to the rule though as you're not buying the full item, but just a part of it.

Some rarer items also don't come in boxes at all. Beylotto parts such as the gunmetal Sen weight are obtained in small plastic bags, and as such never had a box to begin with.

I really don't know where you're finding listings like this just in general though, because I certainly haven't been seeing them that way without being either used, split, or something that was never in a box to begin with. Could you throw down an example link or something?
(Sep. 21, 2021  10:35 PM)MagikHorse Wrote:
(Sep. 21, 2021  2:35 PM)TENKAGE Wrote: In the end people can do what they want with the boxes, as they bought them with their bey, if you think they take up too much room sure chucking the box is one solution. I'm not here to tell people how they should or shouldn't handle their personal collection.

I've also seen basically nobody trying to sell something as new without a box either, outside of 3.style who often does so by splitting boxes with multiple things inside down to parts (e.g. selling the Savior Valkyrie launcher in one listing and the bey itself without the launcher in another). That's an exception to the rule though as you're not buying the full item, but just a part of it.

Some rarer items also don't come in boxes at all. Beylotto parts such as the gunmetal Sen weight are obtained in small plastic bags, and as such never had a box to begin with.

I really don't know where you're finding listings like this just in general though, because I certainly haven't been seeing them that way without being either used, split, or something that was never in a box to begin with. Could you throw down an example link or something?

Yeah bey loto items are fine, because they came that way to begin with. I mostly see this when searching lowest price to high, on random booster beys, like if you're going to cherry pick just the prize bey. While the description usually says no box, you have to read carefully. Here's an example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133868807648?ha...SwjhFhNQiR
(Sep. 22, 2021  6:47 AM)TENKAGE Wrote:
(Sep. 21, 2021  10:35 PM)MagikHorse Wrote: I've also seen basically nobody trying to sell something as new without a box either, outside of 3.style who often does so by splitting boxes with multiple things inside down to parts (e.g. selling the Savior Valkyrie launcher in one listing and the bey itself without the launcher in another). That's an exception to the rule though as you're not buying the full item, but just a part of it.

Yeah bey loto items are fine, because they came that way to begin with. I mostly see this when searching lowest price to high, on random booster beys, like if you're going to cherry pick just the prize bey. While the description usually says no box, you have to read carefully. Here's an example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133868807648?ha...SwjhFhNQiR

Odd, it does say "no box", and yet they show the bey inside the cardboard framework sitting right next to the very box they say isn't included. I's not too unusual to take pictures like this one, sellers tend to do that to verify the contents of the random booster, but saying it doesn't come with the box while the box is barely in the camera's frame leads me to one of a few conclusions: Either they don't know what "no box" means, this box in particular got damaged but the product was fine (none of this sellers other listings have this "no box" claim to them), or they want to cover their butts about the box for some reason. Either way the fact that at least some of the box is visible hints that either that claim of "no box" is false or the box is too damaged and they didn't move it far enough out of the camera's view when they took the picture. There's just not much reason for such a claim with the box in view, so it's misleading and nonsensical.

Either way shipping new products without a box is definitely not common practice, or at the least not common among sellers of actually notable rapport (which this guy isn't really anyone of note). This listing here is a self-contradicting oddity, and I wouldn't even start to say that shipping without the box was even an occasional thing off the back of listings like this one. This listing does not make that case, and proves its own exception.

Most prize beys are competitive and people who actually play with tops tend to care less and would rather save on shipping. Sorry, but a lot of people don't want to just put beyblades on shelves. A lot of non box beys are fake tho.
As someone who sells on eBay, I can tell you that one reason they would sell without the boxes because it will be cheaper for them to ship it. The difference between 4 ounces and 5 ounces to ship is about $.60. The difference between 8 ounces and 9 ounces is about a dollar. The difference between 12 ounces and 13 ounces is over a dollar, closer to $1.50 usually. And the difference between 15 ounces and 16 ounces is usually about two dollars. When I ship them, I am trying to shave off tenths of an ounce to get under that threshold where it moves up to the next tier just to save myself $.60. Or a dollar. Every time I can do that, it adds up in the long run when you are selling a couple hundred beys every few months.

That being said, I don’t really ship Beyblades without the original box. Maybe the other seller’s box got damaged, I don’t know. But the only ones that I ship without the box are the ones that I’ve taken out of a set and I’m selling separately.

But I agree with others, I have like probably 500 Beyblade burst. No way in heck am I keeping the boxes for all of those. The only ones I keep the box for are my stadium sets in case I ever want to sell it again or because a lot of the stadiums I don’t take out of the box because I already have that stadium. And I play with all the Beyblades, so there’s no reason for me to keep the box anyway because I’m taking them all out and putting the stickers on them.

The only ones I still have in the boxes are B-00 Premier set with the three god beys in it (I have one set still in package and one set loose) and I have a full set of every single original color God Beyblade released for the god season. I’m saving them for when my son gets older and has his own kids, he will have one of each new still brand new in the package to give to his kids along with all of our used Beyblades if we don’t end up selling some of them after he gets a bit older.
Honestly, I'd rather pay the seller extra to send the box. A seller wants to save money on shipping, sure, every seller wants to do that, but is it saving money if you have to sit on inventory, because buyers want to buy something with a box instead?

As for throwing out the boxes later, I've said earlier it's to each persons own preference what to do with the product they bought. There is another solution though, you can get some plastic storage containers, and store them that way. You can also disassemble the boxes so they lay flat for extra storage space. I haven't needed to go that route yet, but if you're serious about collecting the unique boxes too, there's ways around just tossing them.

(Sep. 22, 2021  10:37 AM)th!nk Wrote:

Most prize beys are competitive and people who actually play with tops tend to care less and would rather save on shipping. Sorry, but a lot of people don't want to just put beyblades on shelves. A lot of non box beys are fake tho.
I think you're making assumptions about me, and it's a little insulting, I never said I just put my beyblades on a shelf. I use my beyblades, although not as much as I'd like to due to lack of players/interest in my area.

My point is that I like to retain the packaging too, because there is a collectible value in the box. In fact dynamic box art is one of the selling points when buying a TT beyblade over a hasbro one. 

You don't have to like the box, or want to keep it, but don't belittle others for having a different approach to collecting, whether that approach is a common practice or not. There is no right or wrong way to collect beyblade.

There is typical behavior to toy collecting, in general to retain the box as part of the toy, hence this thread and why I personally retain the box. That really shouldn't be a foreign concept to respect and understand.
(Sep. 23, 2021  8:24 AM)TENKAGE Wrote: Honestly, I'd rather pay the seller extra to send the box. A seller wants to save money on shipping, sure, every seller wants to do that, but is it saving money if you have to sit on inventory, because buyers want to buy something with a box instead?

As for throwing out the boxes later, I've said earlier it's to each persons own preference what to do with the product they bought. There is another solution though, you can get some plastic storage containers, and store them that way. You can also disassemble the boxes so they lay flat for extra storage space. I haven't needed to go that route yet, but if you're serious about collecting the unique boxes too, there's ways around just tossing them.

(Sep. 22, 2021  10:37 AM)th!nk Wrote: Most prize beys are competitive and people who actually play with tops tend to care less and would rather save on shipping. Sorry, but a lot of people don't want to just put beyblades on shelves. A lot of non box beys are fake tho.
I think you're making assumptions about me, and it's a little insulting, I never said I just put my beyblades on a shelf. I use my beyblades, although not as much as I'd like to due to lack of players/interest in my area.

My point is that I like to retain the packaging too, because there is a collectible value in the box. In fact dynamic box art is one of the selling points when buying a TT beyblade over a hasbro one. 

You don't have to like the box, or want to keep it, but don't belittle others for having a different approach to collecting, whether that approach is a common practice or not. There is no right or wrong way to collect beyblade.

There is typical behavior to toy collecting, in general to retain the box as part of the toy, hence this thread and why I personally retain the box. That really shouldn't be a foreign concept to respect and understand.

Simply reminding you that where you say "most", you may actually not be right - especially not when sorting cheapest first where collectors aren't the target market (there you would be wanting safer shipping methods etc etc (to maintain the box) which tend to come at a premium over the cheapest-first if listing p+p) Smile
No harm or rudeness was meant - you've made a lot out of a very short and quick reply and I'm sorry if it upset you, it was not my intention.
(Sep. 24, 2021  2:08 PM)th!nk Wrote:
(Sep. 23, 2021  8:24 AM)TENKAGE Wrote: Honestly, I'd rather pay the seller extra to send the box. A seller wants to save money on shipping, sure, every seller wants to do that, but is it saving money if you have to sit on inventory, because buyers want to buy something with a box instead?

Simply reminding you that where you say "most", you may actually not be right - especially not when sorting cheapest first where collectors aren't the target market (there you would be wanting safer shipping methods etc etc (to maintain the box) which tend to come at a premium over the cheapest-first if listing p+p) Smile
No harm or rudeness was meant - you've made a lot out of a very short and quick reply and I'm sorry if it upset you, it was not my intention.

I forgive you, it's cool. Now here's the friendly counterargument.

I don't know who you think I'm referring to as "most", but I'd argue no person who even shops for Japanese beys aren't collectors in some way or form. If a person was just satisfied with the hasbro parts, they wouldn't go so far as to import. I don't see why a person can't search for the lowest price and still be a collector, I mean beyblade is already an expensive hobby. 

I don't know where your getting your information about what "most" people do with their Japanese bey purchases, but it seems like you assume everyone just cares about the next new part and whatever top tier pieces can be used or combined. While that's a big part of the competitive aspect of the game, the fact remains that it's usually older teens to adults with more money that buy these things, or kids getting adult permission to buy a few. The usual demographic ending up being less of competitive players and more of enthusiasts/collectors.

So you might be asking, why is that so important? It's because people are shelling away good money for those beys and boxes, and throwing out the box is like throwing away good money. Some folks here even said the primary reason they threw out the box was because it took up too much space, but imagine if space wasn't an issue, would they keep their boxes then?

So what then was the point I was making in the first post, What was my "most"? It was targeted at the ebay buyers of Japanese beyblades as "most" or the what we would call the toy collectors and enthusiasts, who by common knowledge covet the box. Who wasn't the "most"; it wasn't the part hunters or kids that usually have hasbro beys. It's people with somewhat serious money who can afford to shop online for foreign made toys and import them, these are your ebay buyers who will refuse to buy a new bey without a box.
eBay sellers sell without the box usually because they buy the beyblade officially, meaning they have already tore the box apart. Plus just selling the bey on its own makes it easier for them, even if it does get slightly scratched up for you they usually don’t care. They take a bey, do what they want with it, set a price an sell it. They don’t care if it gets damaged cause all they care about for the most part is getting the money.
(Sep. 24, 2021  9:02 PM)TENKAGE Wrote:
(Sep. 24, 2021  2:08 PM)th!nk Wrote: Simply reminding you that where you say "most", you may actually not be right - especially not when sorting cheapest first where collectors aren't the target market (there you would be wanting safer shipping methods etc etc (to maintain the box) which tend to come at a premium over the cheapest-first if listing p+p) Smile

I forgive you, it's cool. Now here's the friendly counterargument.

I don't know who you think I'm referring to as "most", but I'd argue no person who even shops for Japanese beys aren't collectors in some way or form. If a person was just satisfied with the hasbro parts, they wouldn't go so far as to import. I don't see why a person can't search for the lowest price and still be a collector, I mean beyblade is already an expensive hobby. 

I don't know where your getting your information about what "most" people do with their Japanese bey purchases, but it seems like you assume everyone just cares about the next new part and whatever top tier pieces can be used or combined. While that's a big part of the competitive aspect of the game, the fact remains that it's usually older teens to adults with more money that buy these things, or kids getting adult permission to buy a few. The usual demographic ending up being less of competitive players and more of enthusiasts/collectors.

So you might be asking, why is that so important? It's because people are shelling away good money for those beys and boxes, and throwing out the box is like throwing away good money. Some folks here even said the primary reason they threw out the box was because it took up too much space, but imagine if space wasn't an issue, would they keep their boxes then?

So what then was the point I was making in the first post, What was my "most"? It was targeted at the ebay buyers of Japanese beyblades as "most" or the what we would call the toy collectors and enthusiasts, who by common knowledge covet the box. Who wasn't the "most"; it wasn't the part hunters or kids that usually have hasbro beys. It's people with somewhat serious money who can afford to shop online for foreign made toys and import them, these are your ebay buyers who will refuse to buy a new bey without a box.

Afaik, people buy the Japanese burst because they aren't neutered like the Hasbro ones, ie for competitive use - Hasbro products actually aren't useful to competitive players of the WBO at all outside of a few pro series parts! 
I've been around a long time - multiple generations, I am aware of collectors, but at the moment burst would appear to be largely populated by players (only gens I'd say at this point have more collectors than players are HMS and my beloved Plastics) - collectors usually come later to the party, but you're being smart by doing it before the prices skyrocket.
(Sep. 25, 2021  12:20 AM)th!nk Wrote:
(Sep. 24, 2021  9:02 PM)TENKAGE Wrote: I forgive you, it's cool. Now here's the friendly counterargument.

Afaik, people buy the Japanese burst because they aren't neutered like the Hasbro ones, ie for competitive use - Hasbro products actually aren't useful to competitive players of the WBO at all outside of a few pro series parts! 
I've been around a long time - multiple generations, I am aware of collectors, but at the moment burst would appear to be largely populated by players (only gens I'd say at this point have more collectors than players are HMS and my beloved Plastics) - collectors usually come later to the party, but you're being smart by doing it before the prices skyrocket.

That's cool, I've been playing/collecting since generation 1 with dranzer, dragoon, ect. Personally I don't buy to resell, most of my older generations are hasbro and without the box. The mfb ones I have were usually hasbro at first, because there wasn't much of a difference vs Japanese, although I did save the card that came with each one. Probably the late stage mfb and zeroG up till now that I own are all imports because that's when hasbro dropped their quality. Suffice to say I keep the box to any Japanese product I buy for the pure reason that such a product can not be obtained easily and thus becomes a kind of bigger deal. I think if I personally lived in Japan from kid on up or could easily acquire such things, I wouldn't care so much.