WBO First Stage 3v3 Deck Format with built in solution for the consecutive draws

(Sep. 07, 2021  8:37 PM)UnseenBurst Wrote: Maybe someone could test this format in a CBT and see how they think of it and give feedback on it

Why CBT and not an unranked tournament? We already have had some 3v3 unranked tournaments so far.
(Sep. 07, 2021  10:23 PM)USN Wrote:
(Sep. 07, 2021  8:37 PM)UnseenBurst Wrote: Maybe someone could test this format in a CBT and see how they think of it and give feedback on it

Why CBT and not an unranked tournament? We already have had some 3v3 unranked tournaments so far.

Wait we have? When?

That’s a good idea, but a CBT is a bit wierd for something like a 3v3 deck. Plus, there’s tournaments already like USN said, and I’m going to the one shindog is hosting on the 12th which also happens to be using this format. If you want I could let you know how it went afterwards.
(Sep. 07, 2021  10:23 PM)We See We USN Wrote:

I agree, but I personally could go one step further.  If unranked test events are a thing, why can’t ranked test events be a thing?   I am not saying we should prevent ppl from running unranked test events.  What I am asking is why prevent people from running ranked test events?  If there are people who are willing to put their rank points on the line to more closely simulate actual ranked events by playing in, well, a ranked test event… why not?  Toronto recently ran 2 ranked events with experimental ruleset, it seemed perfectly fine.

Now of course, for ranked test events, the ruleset, equipment, and etc being tested has to be within reason.  These should be minor tweaks and not something like ranked hypersphere format this minute (or maybe even this is okay?  If ppl are willing to play in the event…).  This is just something I have been thinking about.  At the very least, I don’t feel like we need a ton of unranked test events for any one thing.  I don’t think the data collected is quite as useful as ranked events.
(Sep. 07, 2021  2:57 PM)Shindog Wrote:
(Sep. 07, 2021  9:27 AM)th!nk Wrote: So while this seems like it is a nice, smooth way to work, and is better than one deck for the whole tournament (which in initially misread it as and got a lil heated about), and I do kinda like deck building, but there are still some minor issues.

While perhaps not unbearably so, it still discourages more adventurous combinations that may need say your Giga or Over to work, slightly (eg roar bahamut giga/over quattro-2 is a great counter to left spin br combos, but then you won't have giga or over on later combos). It's fairly minor but something I feel like I will always criticise no shared parts rules for (perhaps BC I am plastic man and I think it's mostly agreed upon that nsp is deleterious to pla combo variety in multiple ways - basically you never get to use cool and broadly effective stuff like force smash because your wide defense is critical elsewhere, bearings are not clarified etc, separate issue tho).

More importantly though we're still asking people to have 3 full competitive combos to not be fairly severely disadvantaged (maybe 2 but still) That means 3 different competitive layers, 3 different competitive discs, 3 different competitive drivers, all of which have to make 3 competitive combos. Idk about your scenes but back when I hosted we had plenty of attendees with only one or two beys. What do they do? I feel like it puts too much economic onus on competitors and times are kinda tough at the moment.

Love the draw resolution idea though, that is excellent and common sense while still allowing enough breathing room as well as encouraging getting the first round right. It's probably worth the trade-offs but I still worry about how we are disadvantaging less well off bladers, including the younger kids the game is marketed towards.
This is meant to be an alternative format for 1st stage, not the only format.  If there are communities suited more for single bey, you can do that.  If you want something that is between single bey and 3v3, you can do p3c1. That is the idea anyway.

Mostly works fine then, though there will be communities with some level of economic disparity in which it could still be a problem (technically in any community where kids who can only get one or two beys versus those who can afford more - not that there isn't always an economic aspect of success at beyblade). As a solution for the current issues with the metagame it would work admirably well assuming you're in an area full of people who aren't now going to argue even more pedantically over close finishes. You know, part of me almost wants a compulsory way of fixing that issue

Anyway, it's a good idea then - always fine with having more options, and I like it. Props 👍

(Sep. 07, 2021  2:09 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: The newer bladers who have less than 3 beys are already incredibly disadvantaged; they cannot make it through Deck Format finals successfully. If a blader has One good combo and two less good combos, they will be defeated in deck format somewhat easily. I'm thinking of my third tournament where one opponent had Balkesh B3 on 0 Atomic and basically no other noteworthy combos. I was able to use Hell Salamander against them all and that was that.

This format doesn't work if they don't have 3 beys. They can either borrow or use the beys they have. Most have at least 3 beys. If they borrow, they won't know those beys all that well and might not do well in deck format, but they might stand a decent chance in first stage.

Yes, I deeply dislike deck format finals for this reason.
Watching and hearing about kids placing with their 1 and only combo was one of my favourite parts of tournaments back in my time. It was really heartwarming stuff.

I've said before, fighting the introduction of deck is a hill I would have died on, and I'm sad I was no longer around at the time to do so. But whether or not it's there I'm always going to point out when things disadvantage people unnecessarily at any stage of a format. Accessibility is important.

(Sep. 08, 2021  5:31 AM)Shindog Wrote:
(Sep. 07, 2021  10:23 PM)We See We USN Wrote: Why CBT and not an unranked tournament? We already have had some 3v3 unranked tournaments so far.
I agree, but I personally could go one step further.  If unranked test events are a thing, why can’t ranked test events be a thing?   I am not saying we should prevent ppl from running unranked test events.  What I am asking is why prevent people from running ranked test events?  If there are people who are willing to put their rank points on the line to more closely simulate actual ranked events by playing in, well, a ranked test event… why not?  Toronto recently ran 2 ranked events with experimental ruleset, it seemed perfectly fine.

Now of course, for ranked test events, the ruleset, equipment, and etc being tested has to be within reason.  These should be minor tweaks and not something like ranked hypersphere format this minute (or maybe even this is okay?  If ppl are willing to play in the event…).  This is just something I have been thinking about.  At the very least, I don’t feel like we need a ton of unranked test events for any one thing.  I don’t think the data collected is quite as useful as ranked events.

I'm also totally fine (or even "extremely enthusiastic") with ranked test events if people are willing, obviously given case by case approval - and even then I would only go as far as stopping point farming. It makes the data more useful if people are taking it seriously, and encourages point driven people to get in on hosting events to give us data that helps us better the game.

Re slightly above: CBCTs tell you very little about how an operational/selection rule like this would work. I don't get them in general because they really don't give useful data for just about anything, but definitely not for this.
(Sep. 07, 2021  9:27 AM)th!nk Wrote: So while this seems like it is a nice, smooth way to work, and is better than one deck for the whole tournament (which in initially misread it as and got a lil heated about), and I do kinda like deck building, but there are still some minor issues.

While perhaps not unbearably so, it still discourages more adventurous combinations that may need say your Giga or Over to work, slightly (eg roar bahamut giga/over quattro-2 is a great counter to left spin br combos, but then you won't have giga or over on later combos). It's fairly minor but something I feel like I will always criticise no shared parts rules for (perhaps BC I am plastic man and I think it's mostly agreed upon that nsp is deleterious to pla combo variety in multiple ways - basically you never get to use cool and broadly effective stuff like force smash because your wide defense is critical elsewhere, bearings are not clarified etc, separate issue tho).

More importantly though we're still asking people to have 3 full competitive combos to not be fairly severely disadvantaged (maybe 2 but still) That means 3 different competitive layers, 3 different competitive discs, 3 different competitive drivers, all of which have to make 3 competitive combos. Idk about your scenes but back when I hosted we had plenty of attendees with only one or two beys. What do they do? I feel like it puts too much economic onus on competitors and times are kinda tough at the moment.

Love the draw resolution idea though, that is excellent and common sense while still allowing enough breathing room as well as encouraging getting the first round right. It's probably worth the trade-offs but I still worry about how we are disadvantaging less well off bladers, including the younger kids the game is marketed towards.

To be fair, there's already an uneven balance of power between Hasbro and TT beys, so I personally don't see the point in worrying. Competitive combo or not, I'm sure that nearly everyone who attends a tournament is going to own at least three beys, and thus be able to participate. Whether or not their combinations are competitively viable is another question entirely, but that's not the point of this discussion.

I personally feel that if we're going to start fretting about the qualifications for entry now, then we might as well separate Hasbro and TT into their own individual formats, as there will never be a truly even playing field between all participants at a tournament.

I've always been a fan of deck format, despite making it to the finals only a small number of times; and while I haven't yet been able to play with P3C1, I'd love to try it out as well.
(Sep. 08, 2021  1:44 PM)BladerGem Wrote: To be fair, there's already an uneven balance of power between Hasbro and TT beys, so I personally don't see the point in worrying. Competitive combo or not, I'm sure that nearly everyone who attends a tournament is going to own at least three beys, and thus be able to participate. Whether or not their combinations are competitively viable is another question entirely, but that's not the point of this discussion.

I personally feel that if we're going to start fretting about the qualifications for entry now, then we might as well separate Hasbro and TT into their own individual formats, as there will never be a truly even playing field between all participants at a tournament.

I've always been a fan of deck format, despite making it to the finals only a small number of times; and while I haven't yet been able to play with P3C1, I'd love to try it out as well.

Just because you don't see these people who may have saved up for one competitive Beyblade, or people who just have one or two anyway, does not mean they do not exist. I've met people in this situation, and I try to think of them every time I look at a proposal. It's healthy, I think, to remember that not everyone is lucky.

Anyway, I have said my peace about the matter and don't want to distract from discussions about how this would work if implemented any further.
Some people are concerned about deck boxes. Here are some of the deck “boxes” I will use at my events. Some…. are more so for emergencies, in case I need to provide boxes for players….. but we all have deck “boxes” at home.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTlX2AngzoI/...=copy_link
If you're going to run a 3v3 event, make boxes available for the players, either at the stadiums or just in general.
(Sep. 09, 2021  4:53 AM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: If you're going to run a 3v3 event, make boxes available for the players, either at the stadiums or just in general.
Yes
[Image: MD69MK8.jpg][Image: C2tjAiK.jpg]
Transports flat and they will be at the stadiums.  I prefer these pencil pouches in multiples over actual boxes to transport. 

However, there are so many ways to get creative with deck “boxes” and personalize them, I imagine people would like to create their own deck box.  It can be fun.

Organizers, in the long run, shouldn’t have to provide deck boxes.  They can if they want to. Deck boxes are not hard and don’t have to be expensive.
I feel giving organizers options as to what type of format they want to run for the first stage of their tournament would be a great and healthy change to tournaments!

This slightly modified version of the WBBA’s 3v3 format is actually a really well thought out and balanced format. It will definitely promote more skill and less randomness to the first stage of a tournament. I know I have had some losses because I simply chose the wrong spin direction for a touchdown d and it certainly wasn’t fun for me.

I see everyone’s concerns with kids coming to the event with only one bey and being at a complete disadvantage. However, in my experience most kids that show up already have 3 or more beys to play with. The real problem is the amount of FAKE beys they tend to have. That is what can stop them from having enough to play. However, as an organizer I always bring extra parts just in case someone shows up and they don’t have the proper equipment to play. No one wants to be told their stuff is fake and they can’t play.

So other than that small hick up that can potentially be fixed, I think this is a great idea and hopefully could be fully intergraded into the rules. I know I would use this format for all of my tournaments if it became one we could use.
One of the feedbacks that I received, and the reason why 3v3 events cannot be used for ranked events at this time, is that the utilization of 3v3 and P3C1  in the first stage will taint/soil the rankings we currently have.  The current ranking system is mostly built on the single bey 1v1 double blind stand format.

What are people’s thoughts about this?  If there is a future where there are multiple 1st stage formats to chose from or even multiple  stadiums to chose from for ranked play (I guess older formats already have this), would people feel the rankings would be somehow tainted/soiled?  The game that I have played the most in my life is still Magic the Gathering,  which I quit years ago.  When I played, constructed, limited, sealed, Type I, Type II, standard, extended, vintage/classic…..etc were all under one ranking system.  I am not sure how things are done now.  I guess I just never throught this as an issue.  

Interested to hear people’s thoughts.
I feel like the different stadiums would be a fun twist, especially since the DB stadium is more accessible.

The different 1st stage formats I think is a great idea.

I do believe it should all go under on ranking for burst.
Rankings are not an accurate measure of blader skill or quality. Reset them to give people a reality check. Do whatever. 🙂
(Sep. 10, 2021  7:09 PM)Shindog Wrote: One of the feedbacks that I received, and the reason why 3v3 events cannot be used for ranked events at this time, is that the utilization of 3v3 and P3C1  in the first stage will taint/soil the rankings we currently have.  The current ranking system is mostly built on the single bey 1v1 double blind stand format.

What are people’s thoughts about this?  If there is a future where there are multiple 1st stage formats to chose from or even multiple  stadiums to chose from for ranked play (I guess older formats already have this), would people feel the rankings would be somehow tainted/soiled?  The game that I have played the most in my life is still Magic the Gathering,  which I quit years ago.  When I played, constructed, limited, sealed, Type I, Type II, standard, extended, vintage/classic…..etc were all under one ranking system.  I am not sure how things are done now.  I guess I just never throught this as an issue.  

Interested to hear people’s thoughts.

The fact we had burst classic, limited and standard within the same burst ranking was kinda tainted in and of itself. There are different knowledge and skill sets with all 3 formats. So incorporating new pre finals formats wouldn’t be much different when it comes to added diversity. 

Even if it is a genuine concern then cool. It’ll be fun to have a new beyrank system to see who is currently the top Blader. It’s tough for newer top competitors to catch up to Bladers who have been competing for nearly or over a decade. 

The current system punishes high BR players unless they mainly play against other high BR players. A high rank getting unlucky with single Bey and losing a match to a brand new player really hurts. 

Like any sport it’ll be nice to have everyone one start with a clean slate every year or so to climb the ranks and see who the current best really is.
Reset is a good idea. I guess my question is, should these potentially problem solving format(s) or even stadium(s) wait on a ranking reset? Is that the preference?
This post is more on the topic of the ranking system, but perhaps it’s like a seasonal thing, where like it’s reset every few months or something. There could also be the option to view it for all time points. I think this would be interesting to see.
(Sep. 10, 2021  7:55 PM)Shindog Wrote: Reset is a good idea.  I guess my question is, should these potentially problem solving format(s) or even stadium(s) wait on a ranking reset?  Is that the preference?

In my honest opinion, no, because as I mentioned the rank is already tainted from various formats in burst. The more I think about it it seems quite strange to wait. I’ve never played classic or limited. But I’m ranked with them. Players can never play 3v3 and maybe only play P3C1 in pre finals. but as long as the stadium, allowable beyblades and finals format are consistent across the organization then that should dictate.
Honestly, I don’t see how changing the format would or should effect the ranking system. The ranking system in itself needs a revamp. It’s unreal that some of the top players that play all the time can barely move up because they play people lowers in rank than them and only get like 3 points per win and god forbid if they lose they lose like 12 points. So in a 5 round tournament where they go 4-1 they only get like 3 points for only losing once! That is demoralizing!

Anyway back to the format. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter if you won using 3 beys or 1. Winning a round is still winning a round. Now if say the points for the ranking system worked differently already for top cut where they use deck format instead of single bey. Then yes I could agree. However it’s the same point system no matter the format. So no. I don’t think the ranking system should be a factor in weather or not people could experiment with the 3v3 format in their ranked tournaments.
It's structured like chess tournaments.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system
It's a zero sum system. When you win, it goes up for you, and down that much for the other person. The difference in rank denotes just how many points you go up or down. There's nothing inherently wrong with the Elo Rating system, it just has a high cost when you lose to someone ranked below you. In Chess, a game that has no randomness, it makes perfect sense. In Beyblade, where there's a LOT of random factors no matter how skill based you think it is, perhaps it makes less sense.

The sooner you realize the rankings don't actually matter, the more happy you are likely to be. Being ranked highly in a game where double blind single bey selection has been the gold standard in first round for many years is not an indicator of being a better blader. When you encounter the good bladers in actual tournaments, ranked high or not, you know. And many of the highly ranked people in Burst are actually good bladers.
(Sep. 10, 2021  8:03 PM)CheetoBlader Wrote: This post is more on the topic of the ranking system, but perhaps it’s like a seasonal thing, where like it’s reset every few months or something. There could also be the option to view it for all time points. I think this would be interesting to see.

[Deleted: Posted in the wrong forum by mistake]
(Sep. 10, 2021  10:56 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: It's structured like chess tournaments.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system
It's a zero sum system. When you win, it goes up for you, and down that much for the other person. The difference in rank denotes just how many points you go up or down. There's nothing inherently wrong with the Elo Rating system, it just has a high cost when you lose to someone ranked below you. In Chess, a game that has no randomness, it makes perfect sense. In Beyblade, where there's a LOT of random factors no matter how skill based you think it is, perhaps it makes less sense.

The sooner you realize the rankings don't actually matter, the more happy you are likely to be. Being ranked highly in a game where double blind single bey selection has been the gold standard in first round for many years is not an indicator of being a better blader. When you encounter the good bladers in actual tournaments, ranked high or not, you know. And many of the highly ranked people in Burst are actually good bladers.

Yessir, chess Elo is fun and legit. Chess is my favorite game. No pay to win, just straight forward matches of the minds. 

I couldn’t agree with you more regarding there rank within beyblade. As far as the fun I mean. Letting that worry on BR go really makes it all the more fun to play and you can also do a lot better. With the current blind pick like you mentioned that doesn’t determine skill as BR may indicate. 

I think we got way off topic from the forum thread though haha, so yes I think 3v3 is the way 😊💯
[Image: sd8VQEc.jpg]This is my set up for my event tomorrow.
One of the concerns is to have to count total number of rounds (10) before sudden death rounds, while keeping track of points bladers scored, while also keeping track if 3 draws occurred.  This can get confusing for judges.  A pen and a piece of paper can be used to keep track, but I chose to keep Blader scores with a inexpensive score card, to keep track of total rounds played with a D10 dice (I plan to upgrade to Jumbo D10 if this works out), and to have the judge only keep track if 3 draws occur.  The “deck boxes” are the pencil pouches that also serve as my dice bag.