VANCOUVER BEYBATTLE: August 22 at 2 PM - Metropolis Comics and Toys

on
Hosted by
Contact Host
Format

Type

One Beyblade is prepared and used in each First Stage match.

Read more
Admission
cash  

The WBO is a volunteer, fan-run organization.
About the WBO

Submit pics and clips from this event to earn Bits + be featured on our social media pages!

Find Out How

WBO events are public and you may be photographed.
View Photo Policy

VANCOUVER BEYBATTLE

Metropolis Comics and Toys
Saturday, August 22 @ 2 PM

102-4800 Kingsway
Burnaby, BC V5H 4J2

Vancouver BeyBattle is the first WBO tournament in Vancouver, BC, and the first gathering of the Vancouver BeyClub!

To enter this tournament, you will need to pay either a $5 registration fee or have a Blader Passport ($10), which can be purchased on-site. Format is Metal Fight Beyblade ONLY. If you don't have an MFB, you will be able to purchase one.

Prizes TBD. I don't know if their will be prizes yet, or if the winner will be entered into an upcoming WBO contest for event winners. People on eBay are ignoring my messages, sadly Unhappy Hopefully I can get something, though.

More details will be posted as they come in!

Need-to-Know Information

1. During Registration, Open Your Account Page

Open your account page on your mobile device (if possible) during registration to help us keep things quick.

2. Arrive On Time

You must arrive by the tournament start time to enter. We cannot add new players to an event once it begins. If you're running late, contact the host.

3. Stay Aware of Your Belongings

We do everything possible to ensure a safe environment, but can't be held responsible for lost or stolen goods. Keep your gear close by!

4. The Tournament Will Last At Least a Few Hours

This event is likely to last at least a few hours. If you can't commit to the entire tournament, you're welcome to come watch and play for fun instead!

5. Listen For Your Username To Be Called

Your name will be called when it's time for your next battle. If you need to leave early or take a break, tell a judge. Missing a match could mean disqualification!

6. Players Must Meet Regional Product Age Restrictions

All players in this event must meet the age restrictions on Beyblade products in their region. TAKARA-TOMY recommends Beyblade for ages 6+. Hasbro recommends Beyblade for ages 8+. Players under these ages may only participate with the permission of their parent/guardian.

7. Players Under 18 Must Be Accompanied by a Parent/Guardian

If you are under 18 years old, a parent/guardian must accompany you and be present for the duration of the event.

8. Contests, Raffles, Gambling, Betting, and Selling Are Prohibited

Advertising the sale of any product or service, as well as posting about any contest, raffle, gambling, or betting on this event page and conducting them at the event without approval by Fighting Spirits Inc. staff is prohibited. Please contact the Organized Play team if you require approval.

9. Terms of Service

All event attendees and users of this website are subject to our Terms of Service.

Here's the store directory from the Mall's website. It's in the Lower Level/P1 Area in area LA.

http://www.metropolisatmetrotown.com/store-directory
(Aug. 07, 2009  1:12 AM)raymundh Wrote: That sounds awsome and you can buy Metal fight or fusion in canada Grin

Well you can't yet however there will be some on sale at this event. I believe it launches in Fall 2010 for us, hopefully I can talk the Store into getting some stock as well though LoL
Why is there never anything in the meritimes I mean like new brunswick and nova scotioa I mean I feel so forgoten D:
One because we have really only started hosted events all around in 2009

Two because their might not be enough members there. All our tournaments are fan run. So if you have 8 or more people who have legal beyblade parts you can run one.
Rawr I know I don't live in Canada and can't attend this tournament.
But this looks like the best place to post this XD
Since Brad got his new job and stuff, I say you guys throw him a little party at the tournament lol.
Get a cake with a beyblade on it lol.

-Joyful_3 I casted magic on this post so it is invisible to Brad. So he can't see it lol, so you guys should make it a surprise lol-
(Aug. 12, 2009  1:53 AM)BDaichi Wrote: Rawr I know I don't live in Canada and can't attend this tournament.
But this looks like the best place to post this XD
Since Brad got his new job and stuff, I say you guys throw him a little party at the tournament lol.
Get a cake with a beyblade on it lol.

-Joyful_3 I casted magic on this post so it is invisible to Brad. So he can't see it lol, so you guys should make it a surprise lol-

Well, we would end up having to find another place to host that party(if we have one), since food and drinks aren't allowed in the store. Unhappy
a party for brad eh.

I think we should if not for him we would not have heard anything of beyblade in ae09
Hey guys, I'm on my way there now. See you soon!
Good luck guys Grin
Have fun guys. Smile
it was really fun, and there was alot of great beyblades. Too bad half of the players were using Libra wheels and the other half were using Virgo wheels. XD
How many people showed up? Placings? Gasp
1.Brad
2. Don't remember...
3. Don't remember...

goddamn names gotta remember em >.>

I think 12 participated in the tourney. Since it was split into 3 groups of 4 or so I saw...
It was a great meet. I can't remember names but I believe it was Lockstrosity who won second.

I'm still in dire need of a launcher...
I came in 3rd.

(Aug. 23, 2009  7:13 AM)AFanCorp Wrote: It was a great meet. I can't remember names but I believe it was Lockstrosity who won second.
I had no luck against his beyblade. I should have gone with my Hello Kitty in that matchup as well. Tongue_out_wink
:o What about G and Hiro?
G and I failed so hard. RF didn't help me at all that day, I gave up on it shortly after, so much bad luck @@ Brad was also experiencing similar issues with RF that day, he made the decision to switch to a Virgo DF145SD quicker than me or G I imagine and rode it to victory. His luck also seemed to be there in comparison, there were so many moments where the entire room was holding their breaths.

Regardless it was really fun, based on the response I got from the rest of the attendee's we'll be doing more of these for the Vancouver Club.

We had 12 in total for this tournament, a pretty solid turnout honestly, and I know a few people couldn't make it either so the potential for 12+ in the future remains.

Kinda busy today, cleaning the house and so forth so I'll post a FULL review and bloggish kind of thing when I'm more free.

Placings:

1st: Brad (Gave up Lightning L Drago and Prize to 2nd Place)
2nd: Lockstrosity (Gained First place Prize)
3rd: Sumireyan (Gained Second Place Prize)

Acquired faces will remain the same though, IE: 1st place winner will still receive first place face, etc, etc.
I AM THE CHAMPION
Vancouver Beybattle: Aug 22nd REVIEWBLOG OF DOOM!

So, I finally got around to typing this up, so before you read this just a few additional notes from me Smile

Major thank you to everyone who showed up and participated in this event, and I hope those of you I didn't get a chance to talk to as much enjoyed yourselves there as much as I did. Major thanks to Brad for coming out and having Stadiums and BEY! Seriously, so many people didn't have any it was a godsend that you had so much, the Vancouver BeyClub looks like it's off to a good start. Seems like I'll have to take over things on the Vancouver end of stuff though, should probably order some supplies too.

By the way, big thanks to Metropolis Comics and Toy's for having us use their space. Worked out a bit of an arrangement to continue using it in the future as well Smile

Anyways, here's the review/bloggish thing:

To start things off we really have to go to 1:30am, essentially right when I returned home from work.

August 22nd, 2009: 1:30AM

I logged onto my computer after settling down and checked out the WBO and other forums and stuff that internet thing is good for. After twenty minutes or so of broswing I realize Annie sent me a message on the WBO for me to log onto AIM and finalize some details with Brad. Turns out I spent the majority of the next 40 minutes talking to Annie while Brad and G tested before bed. Brad pops on, we finalize things, and then he goes to sleep, 6am wake up for the poor guy followed by a god knows how long ferry and transit/taxi to the event.

At around 3:00AM I set myself up to do some pre-tournament testing. I'm pretty frikkin' excited considering it'll be my second time (reality first time with any sort of Skill) playing with MFB's in a tournament environment. In hindsight it was probably a very bad idea to test until 6:00AM, but really when you're that excited and focused on beating Brad and G frankly, making appropriate counter-combo's is very important.

August 22nd, 2009: 10:00AM

The dog wakes me up, time for a run. Screw it, I was far too tired to go for a run but I had some testing to finalize on. Luckily my parents made coffee that morning, I downed the remaining pot and grab some of the instant stuff then proceeded onto testing. It was during the next hour and a half of testing I discovered MF Virgo C145RF's usefulness. Unfortunately I run out of time around noon, I shower, get my stuff packed up and ready to go then catch the 12:45 bus to the event location: Metropolis Comics and Toys.

August 22nd, 2009: 1:35PM

I get to Metrotown and meet up with Dolphin and Sumerian and proceed to Metropolis Comics and Toys, turns out we're late in comparison to everyone else, excluding Brad and Co.

We're not incredibly early, most of us having gathered around 1:50PM or so, everyone's as excited as I am for the most part, a lot don't even have MFB's yet, and there's a lot of talk about what Brad's bringing in with him. Around 2PM and no-Brad, people start to get worried, it was then I realized, yeah, I gave Brad MY number, but how the heck was I supposed to contact HIM!?

Yeah, fail boat, but eventually Brad showed up, right around 2:26 looking absolutely drained. Kinda expected it considering he knocked off of AIM around 2:45AM or so. He gets himself set up, and lays out the beys. If there was ever anything to get people more anxious and excited it was the large suitcase of MFB he had there with him, a lot of which he informed them was for sale.

And sell he did. I don't think it took more than 20 minutes for nearly everything except for 2x RBV3 and 4x BB-22 to be left over. The remaining RBV3 were eventually sold and the BB-22 were prizes along with Lightning L Drago. He had a second L L Drago, but I managed to grab it along with BB-21 and a bunch of RBV3.

Once the selling was done and everyone was registered the tournament kicked off.

Tournament Start: 3:30PM

We eventually got things underway. I didn't do any of the listings so I don't know exactly who participated and where, but we basically had three blocks of 4 players. Each block would have one person go off to the finals (the top 3), Sumerian came out of the block I was in while Lockstrosity came out of G's. I don't really know what to say on my part, my mint RF was a bad choice, and out of the RF's I brought I only had the unused RF and extremely used RF which I planned to use against Brad's Libra CH120RF.

Lots of bad luck came my way too, but I can't really complain too much about it, it's kind of how things go. Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you're not. Compared to Brad's block, G's and mine were done REALLY quickly.

Brad's Block

So, this was probably the most interesting block out of them. Out of it, Brad, Dolphin, and Marcoloco were in a dead lock to advance to the finals. They'd been constantly repeating battles, Brad had a shot during their best out of 3 rounds match up, but Libra CH120RF and, RF in general, went foul for Brad as well. At this point he made the decision to use Virgo DF145D (I think). After the numbers were reset yet again, they decided to go for a sudden death match up. Each of them would face each other in a single sudden death match.

This was probably one of the most exciting and stressful parts of the tournament. Things had been going haywire and odd combo's were all over the place, it was really hard to even predict what someone was using. The battle between Brad and Dolphin's MF Libra C145B was pretty intense, we kept seeing of Libra's out-of-no-where smashes on Brad's Virgo and he came close to a KO so many times. When the two were wobbling at the end, Virgo DF145D barely out spun "Banana".

Didn't get to witness all of it but it seemed Brad was doing some... tactics to throw the other two off, and after switching to Virgo DF145SD he emerged victorious, moving on to the finals to face Lockstrosity and Sumerian.

Eventually Brad pulled out of that one as the winner, however, he conceded the first place prize to second.

And that was that, the Tournament was done. JESUS! I didn’t even get to face Brad OR G at ALL. In the end, NONE of us faced each other.

Tournament End: 5:10PM

Yeah, definitely not an anime-esque styled ending huh? G and I failed pretty hard Uncertain

We stuck around until around 5:30, and Brad, Annie, G, Jonathan, and I headed out to my restaurant, Azia, for dinner.

At about 6:45PM we get to the restaurant, get settled, and enjoy ourselves a nice meal. I get to know Annie, Jonathan, Brad, and G a lot better at this point. It’s quite a shame I’ll rarely see any of them in person again. We finish at the restaurant and go and grab some crepes then make our way to their hotel room at the Day’s Inn. Initially this was so Brad, G, and I could actually get a battle against each other in.

I stuck around for a few hours with them and we hung out and chatted a bit, talked about G’s bed in the closet, and various WBO related things. Eventually we bust out the MFB’s and start goofing around. We tested a few combos out trying to get H145 and WD145 to be decent, and screwed around with RF’s after complaining about how incredibly bad they performed for us this day.

After crewing around a lot, Brad eventually decided to propose “BeySoccer”.

Essentially it’s a bottomless Lightwheel with a Metal Face on it as a “BeySoccer Ball” in the Wide Square Stadium. The goal was to hit the “BeySoccer Ball” through the openings on any of the 4 sides. In our game between Brad, G, and I, it was first to five points. It was retarded fun though, and I actually want to play it again.

Ended up leaving around 11PM, bid my farewells, and made my way home. Didn’t actually get back until 12:40AM or so.

Overall, the day was incredibly fun, the Tournament went great and plans are already in motion for weekly/bi-weekly gatherings of the Vancouver BeyClub. Hopefully we’ll throw more tournaments out and gain even more members.

... Never did get to have an actual battle with Brad or G.

Heh.
Sounds like a great time. Congrats to Brad on winning!

Sucks RF didn't work for you guys, but a Fresh RF wasn't the best idea haha.

I need to visit Canada next summer or something!