Threads being closed?

Recently I've seen a lot of threads being closed for seemingly no reason. From my experiences, a mod would usually say why the thread is being closed, but I haven't been seeing that. I thought it might be because of low activity, but threads with even lower activitiy stay up and The threads being closed have decent amounts of activity. So why are there so many threads being closed?
A lot of the threads being closed nowadays are just simple thoughts or questions that really should not have a whole new thread created for them. They would be much better off as replies to one of the these dedicated megathreads (that are also listed in my signature btw): where they can still generate discussion. Some of the ones that are closed even after there have been several responses are just ones that slip through the cracks when they're first posted. The reason mods haven't been posting as they're being closed is because there's so darn many of them and filling up unnecessary threads with even more unnecessary posts kind of defeats the purpose, plus having a mod constantly tell you "your thread doesn't need to exist" makes the WBO seem a bit unwelcoming and could come off as bullying to some users.

If you want to post something that doesn't fall in any of those categories and feel should have its own thread, make sure you use the Search function to make absolutely sure a similar topic doesn't already exist. If it does, you can just revive that thread, and you won't be penalized for doing so as long as you stay on topic and contribute something to the discussion. This is especially the case with people looking for local tournaments - for at least most cities in the U.S., there's probably already a thread for tournament planning in that city or one close enough nearby.

Hopefully this answers your (and anyone else's) questions about threads being closed, I just wish more people would be able to read this response before it gets buried in the depths of the WBO.
(Nov. 06, 2019  5:09 PM)Wombat Wrote: Hopefully this answers your (and anyone else's) questions about threads being closed, I just wish more people would be able to read this response before it gets buried in the depths of the WBO.

Great answer thank you.
New WBO posters tend to need to lurk a bit more before posting. Some of them just start spamming new threads like crazy. It gets really bad when someone decides they want to be an organizer now now now, and starts commenting in every danged thread.
(Nov. 06, 2019  11:28 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: New WBO posters tend to need to lurk a bit more before posting. Some of them just start spamming new threads like crazy. It gets really bad when someone decides they want to be an organizer now now now, and starts commenting in every danged thread.

In my opinion, it gets really annoying. Im fine if theyre answering with genuine responses like, 3 times in a row (it happens) but its easy to tell theyre spamming when the responses are really stubby. They should have some patience

And oh boy, the people who start stubby and unnecessary threads JUST to boost up their thread and post count
Perhaps we should pin this.
What about threads that have been repeated will they be closed?
(Jan. 27, 2020  9:30 PM)MasterOfTheSky Wrote: What about threads that have been repeated will they be closed?

Or merged into existing threads of their kind. It depends on the thread and the situation. You can always report a thread as being a duplicate, and we'll either take care of it or leave it.
(Jan. 27, 2020  11:18 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote:
(Jan. 27, 2020  9:30 PM)MasterOfTheSky Wrote: What about threads that have been repeated will they be closed?

Or merged into existing threads of their kind. It depends on the thread and the situation. You can always report a thread as being a duplicate, and we'll either take care of it or leave it.

Wait... So when is it okay to 'necropost' in a thread and at what point do you create a new one?
It’s probably okay to necropost a topic if you can provide relevant information for it, if it looks like a “continuous” thread like random thoughts that hasn’t been touched for a while or if you have a genuine question/concern that doesn’t look like a spam post. It’s kind of a gray area of what’s allowed and what’s not, depending on the moderator’s interpretation of relevant content. It’s most likely okay to create a new topic of it’s been “years” since the last time your type of topic has been posted.

What I don’t like is when people self moderate and reply to a necrobumpish post by only saying “you just necrobumped” which just adds more potentially irrelevant content being brought up, but hey, just my opinion.
(Jan. 28, 2020  2:56 AM)BoogietheBlader Wrote:
(Jan. 27, 2020  11:18 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: Or merged into existing threads of their kind. It depends on the thread and the situation. You can always report a thread as being a duplicate, and we'll either take care of it or leave it.

Wait... So when is it okay to 'necropost' in a thread and at what point do you create a new one?
It depends on the thread and the situation. For regional threads? Always find the existing ones. For other discussion threads it's usually wrong.
(Jan. 27, 2020  11:18 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote:

Ye i made one the other day and did realise there was already one and wanted to know if it would be taken down or not, thanks!