The New Guy

Hello Bladers of the WBO

I’m the proud Granddad to a wonderful boy named Carmelo, and we are totally new at Beyblades. How new you may be asking yourself? Exactly four days ago I finally stopped in front of the Beyblade display at Wal-Mart and took it all in. “Tops…how cool is that”! I remember battling it out with my friends (years ago) me and my wooden tops, with their deadly pointed tips. I don’t know how many times I passed by that display while heading over to the Marvel Superhero action figures section. So this time I took some photos with my phone and off I went to search the Internet about Beyblades. All I have to say is Awesome!! The next day I bought my (or should I say…our) first Beys. Being that Carmelo’s birthday just pasted a few weeks ago, I will be buying 2-3 Beys a week and let Santa (wink, wink) deliver them on Christmas.

I’ve read some of the posts, and I’ve found that I have tons of things to learn about. These Beys are not as simple as the ones I used as a kid. So as of right now, my "Cup of Knowledge" is completely empty, but I intend to dip it into "The Pool of Beyblade Wisdom" many times and drink it all in.

I’ve also find WBO members to be mature and polite, which is nice to know. There is nothing worst then posting a question that I find important, but some find to beneath them…so they let you have it. I’m 47 years old, and in that short span of life I’ve learned words like please, thank you & you’re welcome to be free and should be used every day.

So on that note, my first question is…can you please tell me which section would be correct in posting our new Beyblade purchases? I would like to hear from ALL of my follow Beyblade members how you would rate them.

I have lots to learn before the end of the year, so I will be rolling up my sleeves and breaking out the notepad. The worst part of all of this is the fact that I (I mean we) will not be opening any of the Beys until the end of the year. This is going to drive me crazy…lol.

Thank you ALL from Carmelo and myself!!!
Surprisingly perhaps, you are not our first grandfather here, hah.

As for your question, recent Beyblade purchases go here :
http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Recent-B...-Purchases

Usually, people do not obligatorily reply though, but if you specify in your post that you would like to get feedback on those purchases, I am certain that there will be a few people who will do it.
Thank you for the quick reply! I'll gather the Beys and post them soon.
welcome, try not to get warned.
(May. 06, 2012  1:09 AM)Shirayuki Wrote: welcome, try not to get warned.

You know, not everyone gets warned, and considering Bethor's age, I am certain that he read the introductory private message he was sent as well as the rules, and he probably already has the common sense to know where to post things. For instance, he just asked where to post something, instead of just going ahead and posting a new thread about it.

Replies like that are really a "turn-off" in introduction threads ... Try to be more constructive, give them a link to the rules, for instance, instead.
Welcome to the WBO! I love seeing grandparents engaged in their grandchilderns interests! Hope you enjoy the tops and the forum!
Thanks for the vote of confidence Kai-V! When I saw the comment “welcome, try not to get warned” (which I’ve seen on other intro posts), it reminded me of Sister Margaret Katherine and her giant ruler she used to swing around in the 3rd grade...lol.

Thank you Yukio!! I’m such a kid at heart; I try to introduce my grandkids to all types of activities. They won’t stay young forever…
It's a weird thing I do, don't ask. Anyways, enjoy WBO! (no kidding, you will)
No problem Shirayuki...I just found it funny. Thanks...I hope to learn a lot from you guys & gals.
Thanks NaLi!!!
A granddad playing with Beyblades ? That's nice . And if you stay here long enough , your 'Cup of knowledge ' will be full ! Grin

Some tips to help you around here :
Thanks Life!!!
Welcome, Grandad! Us old guys gotta stick together. Maybe we should make a new Forum - the Beyblade Geezer's Forum! hahahaha!

Perceval
Thanks for welcoming me into this much UNKNOWN hobby I’ve chosen to drive into Perceval…lol. I have so much to learn about these Beys, and then I have to translate that knowledge so a 6 year old won’t ooze brain matter out his ears. But I’m up for the challenge and the fun!! Oh and us “seasoned” members should call the new forum the WBO-AARP. LOL
Yeah. That would work. I may be seasoned in years but not in Bey. I have a lot to learn too.

Good luck!

Perceval
Nice to meet you Bethor, Im Bamboo, and welcome to the WBO! Grin
Welcome. There is a lot to learn about beyblade on this website.
Thank you for the welcome wagon Bamboo & Keel!!! I’ll tell you…my hand is numb from taking so many notes! Old engineer’s habit…
Welcome Bethor, I'm 32 and I already don't care if they talk about me lol. But it's great seeing not just parents but grandparents who really care about what the kids are into these days. Another dad and I have been running tournaments in our state which has never hosted tournaments before. Just an idea for you if you dont find any in your area. And the best part there are no age restrictions so you can play as well!
Hello Klaus and thank you for the warm welcome. I’ve always been the type of father/grandfather that builds upon their dreams & imagination. If they wanted to be an artist, I provided them with paint and a canvas. If a sport was the new flavor of the month, they had what was needed to give it a shot. Some they continued with, while others were forgotten. But I gave them the chance to try them out so they could decide which was right for them. As I’ve stated before on other posts, I’m a big kid at heart and our little ones don’t stay little for very long, so I have to take full advantage of every moment I have with them. Tops over TV any day of the week!!!

If you don’t mind me asking…

Which state are you from and how did you start your local tournaments? When you do host them, are the majority of Beys Hasbro Beys or as I like to call them “Top Flight” Beys?
Welcome im Yuko for short I can awnser that klaus holds tournaments in michigan and his tournaments are epic! The majority are takara tomy beys
(May. 07, 2012  12:31 AM)Bethor Wrote: Hello Klaus and thank you for the warm welcome. I’ve always been the type of father/grandfather that builds upon their dreams & imagination.

If you don’t mind me asking…

Which state are you from and how did you start your local tournaments? When you do host them, are the majority of Beys Hasbro Beys or as I like to call them “Top Flight” Beys?
We're in Michigan. The first tournament was put together by another dad, then we did the next one together. Then by the 3rd event we feel we got everything right lol! If you go to the Official Events topic. It does a fairly good job of explaining all that you need. My biggest advice is pay attention to the Event guide, that's where things got screwed up a little in the first two tournaments. We had a massive amount of people just show up at the first, then the second we had a few ties to deal with... Also learned to use a wifi signal and do it on Challonge.com it makes it bullet proof and very easy to turn in the results.
Well we do get a few new kids at every event so far that all they have are Hasbro beys. Most though are Takara Tomy/Sonokong beys.
It does take a bit of work and sacrifice to be a tournament host that is for sure, from the venue, to the proposal and even prizes are for the most part up to the host... but it's worth it, and to see all the kids even the ones that never win a battle they all have huge smiles. It's smiles and laughing from everybody no matter what happens.

Hah, I am only 17 and I still play. I don't feel that people are looking "down" at me for my hobbies.

Welcome, please try not to be warned.