The Hockey thread of CBC dying with this finals match up

Man, if Montreal doesn't lose tonight, I'm going to be pissed. They can't beat Washington AND Pittsburgh, I'll never hear the end of it!
(May. 12, 2010  5:58 PM)Beyonomics Wrote: Man, if Montreal doesn't lose tonight, I'm going to be pissed. They can't beat Washington AND Pittsburgh, I'll never hear the end of it!
Hah, 5-2.
kai-v don't go downtown.
I can't believe people paid $7.50 to watch the game at the Bell Centre lol
I believe

(May. 13, 2010  2:41 AM)Kai-V Wrote: Hah, 5-2.

haha darn it!XD

The text messages have already begun pouring in...all from people who are habs fans of course. St. Catherine street must be wild!
Canada is absolutly raping Norway in the WC's. 9-1 at the start of the 3rd periood lol
Haha To this game is crazy man! I'm out right now typing this on my phone lol, flyers 4-3! Wooo let's go flyers!
Flyers down 3-0 in the series coming into Game 4. Gagne scores the overtime winner.
Flyers down 3-0 in Game 7. Gagne scores the winner.

History has been made.

David may have slayed two goliaths, but this is the biggest comeback in the history of professional sport.
(May. 15, 2010  2:59 AM)To Wrote: History has been made.
Yeah, this was a legendary game. What a fitting final score too, 4-3, just like the series. When the flyers scored I decided to open my phone browser in excitement and post here lol and I'm not even a flyers fan!

(May. 15, 2010  2:59 AM)To Wrote: David may have slayed two goliaths, but this is the biggest comeback in the history of professional sport.
Don't forget about the '42 leafs lolTongue_out
Don't believe the '42 Leafs were down 3-0 in Game 7 at the opposing building.
(May. 15, 2010  5:58 AM)To Wrote: Don't believe the '42 Leafs were down 3-0 in Game 7 at the opposing building.
lol this is true. I hope your flyers put an end to montreal. I wouldn't be able to stomach them being in the stanley cup finals...
(May. 15, 2010  2:59 AM)To Wrote: David may have slayed two goliaths, but this is the biggest comeback in the history of professional sport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHtjmofqBeM
(May. 15, 2010  12:45 PM)SK Wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHtjmofqBeM

i knew it was about 2005 before i even clicked that link ♥
Are you really comparing one football game to having to win four hockey games after being down 3-0 in the series (which including the Flyers, only 4 teams in the history of North American professional sport have ever done), and being down 3-0 in that last game at the home of the opposing team? I realize coming back in soccer is incredibly difficult, but doing what the Flyers did is borderline impossible.
(May. 15, 2010  1:04 PM)To Wrote: Are you really comparing one football game to having to win four hockey games after being down 3-0 in the series (which including the Flyers, only 4 teams in the history of North American professional sport have ever done), and being down 3-0 in that last game at the home of the opposing team? I realize coming back in soccer is incredibly difficult, but doing what the Flyers did is borderline impossible.

The average amount of goals scored in a hockey game is (roughly) 4, the average in a football game is (roughtly) 2

so being 3-0 down in football is the equivalent of being 6-0 down in a hockey game

now imagine being 6-0 down, halfway through the last game of a stanley cup final, only to come back and win the whole game and cup on penalties.
Yeah, you're not getting the point here. It's not just the amount of goals. It's the amount of games. The Flyers started a best of seven series having lost the first three games.
The Bruins only needed to win one more game to eleminate the Flyers and advance. The Flyers needed to win 3 straight to force a Game 7. Only 3 teams (now 4) in NHL history have ever come back to force a game 7 after being down 3 games. That's despite the fact that nearly 200 different team have found themselves in that situation. Only two (now 3 out of 4) of those three teams ended up winning that game 7. Neither of those two teams found themselves down 3-0 in that decisive game in the other team's building with 20,000 cheering against them.

There has been bigger comebacks from a goal deficit before, for sure. But, there has never been something like what happened last night.

You mention penalties deciding the winner of that Liverpool game. Now imagine this, the only reason the Flyers made the playoffs were because they won the last game of the regular season in a shootout. They lose, and they don't make the playoffs.
Only 4 teams have come back from 0-3 in games? Well only 1 team has come back from being 3-0 down in a champions league final. You have to look at the context, this was just a quarterfinal (?), while the Liverpool game was a final in the most prestigious club tournament in the world.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=4007663
ranked #4 in greatest comebacks ever. no hockey games in top 5
I know I trust ESPN, the channel that dropped professional hockey games in favor of college basketball, for all my hockey analysis.
Jeeze dude, now you're grasping at straws. You're taking lists from 2009 and 2007 to disqualify an event that happened last night. I never said that wasn't an impressive feat. I said what happened last night was more impressive.
Well it wasn't more impressive. If it was, it would be on the espn list (which is for today, if i understood it correctly) i linked to
Drop it now, it doesn't really matter that much. :s
Yeah, it's not like he's going to change what I think, and it's not like I'm going to change what he thinks. Both were huge comebacks in two very different situations.
Habs got rocked, but it's only Game 1 in Philadelphia no less, so I'm not planning the Stanley Cup birth yet.