The Borrow and Announce rule in the rulebooks

A similar version of this was propose to the organized play team a short while ago by me.  I would like to know your thoughts on this matter.

Below is our current rule on borrowing parts and receiving help:

“If you are receiving help–in the form of advice or parts–from someone else, you must announce who is helping you to both the judge and your opponent. Parts borrowed at any point during the event for future use must be announced as well. The exact part(s) do not need to be announced, just the person they are being borrowed from.  During the match, players are not allowed to receive coaching or gameplay advice of any kind from the bystanders.”

In general, I find most of this rule unnecessary and not practically truly enforceable.  I can personally think of no other game or sport with a similar rule.  I asked around, and no one can come up with a single activity that forces players to disclose if they are borrowing equipment.  

What is just Beyblade related conversation, and what is Beyblade coaching/advice?  How can we tell?  Is “Shindog loves pP.Ω.Vl’ and he has played it all day, watch out!” conversation or advice?  What if you didn’t even ask for the advice?  Why would they be responsible to announce that? 

With the way this is written currently, if you borrow the parts 1 min before the event starts, you would not be responsible for announcing the borrowing.  If you buy or rent the part, you would not have to announce it.  How can we definitively prove ownership anyway?  If a player suspects their opponent is borrowing and forgetting to announce the help, they can simply bring this to light only if they lose the match.  This can work like an extra life in Beyblade.  The rule may incentivizes letting your opponent break the rule, and putting that in your back pocket.  “Break open in case of losing at Beyblade?”

Will players get together and “gang up” on a player?  I would think so?  Isn’t that just pretty natural and just how life works?  Most certainly, this pooling of resources and knowledge to defeat a top player is not exclusive to Beyblade.  If you don’t want to face a double team in basketball, don’t be good at basketball.  If you are always wide open, there is a reason.  Ultimately, you are spinning your Beyblade/deck vs just one player and their Beyblade/deck.  Both players can borrow, and both players can receive advice.  

I am proposing 3 options:

1) Delete most of this rule.  Leave only:

“During the match, players are not allowed to receive coaching or gameplay advice of any kind from the bystanders.” 

2) Judges must ask both players to announce if they are borrowing or receiving advice.  It becomes the judge’s responsibility to make sure any announcement of this type is made.  The judge is expected to be neutral of course, and this they are simply better suited for this.
It would be good sportsmanship for players to answer truthfully.

“The judge will ask each player if they are receiving help–in the form of advice or parts–from someone else, the judge will announce who is helping each player.  Parts borrowed at any point during the event for future use must be announced as well. The exact part(s) do not need to be announced, just the person they are being borrowed from.  During the match, players are not allowed to receive coaching or gameplay advice of any kind from the bystanders.”

3) Players may ask each other if they are borrowing parts or receiving help at the start of a match.  It becomes the player’s responsibility to ask each other.  It would be good sportsmanship for players to answer truthfully.  If they choose not to ask, so be it.

“You may ask your opponent if they are receiving help–in the form of advice or parts–from someone else.  The exact part(s) do not need to be announced, just the person they are being borrowed from.  During the match, players are not allowed to receive coaching or gameplay advice of any kind from the bystanders.”
I agree with that no other activity asks a rule like this, and getting help from bystanders after a match already started should be forbidden. But before the match, I think it’s fair for it to be allowed. And as far as I know, people don’t borrow parts anyway. I’ve only seen someone borrow parts 1 time, and that was me giving my extra left launcher to my friend RacingCheetahz since he forgot to bring his. To be honest, the whole borrowing parts thing is something that should be announced cause it can help a Blader know, oh this dude’s borrowing the bearing driver, so that means he probably doesn’t actually have it and he might not have good same spin combos, or something like that.
Option 1. In Maryland borrowing tends to happen when someone has fake beys, or not enough decent beys for deck format finals. Are people scheming and plotting and conniving to try and beat some of the top bladers in the Mid-Atlantic? If they are, it's not working. I'm not doing it.

I'm not worried about borrowing. I'm very concerned by rules lawyering. I would rather not have bladers weaponizing the rules against each other.
(Sep. 27, 2021  3:55 PM)TheRogueBlader Wrote: I agree with that no other activity asks a rule like this, and getting help from bystanders after a match already started should be forbidden. But before the match, I think it’s fair for it to be allowed. And as far as I know, people don’t borrow parts anyway. I’ve only seen someone borrow parts 1 time, and that was me giving my extra left launcher to my friend RacingCheetahz since he forgot to bring his. To be honest, the whole borrowing parts thing is something that should be announced cause it can help a Blader know, oh this dude’s borrowing the bearing driver, so that means he probably doesn’t actually have it and he might not have good same spin combos, or something like that.
What if the player buys/borrows a bearing from another player, during the event, right before the event, or when an arrangement is made for this part 2 weeks before the event?

Should we just have players announce what parts they have access to in general?

Should the exchange of money make a difference?  Currently it does, if you read the rule strictly?
(Sep. 27, 2021  4:28 PM)Shindog Wrote:
(Sep. 27, 2021  3:55 PM)TheRogueBlader Wrote: I agree with that no other activity asks a rule like this, and getting help from bystanders after a match already started should be forbidden. But before the match, I think it’s fair for it to be allowed. And as far as I know, people don’t borrow parts anyway. I’ve only seen someone borrow parts 1 time, and that was me giving my extra left launcher to my friend RacingCheetahz since he forgot to bring his. To be honest, the whole borrowing parts thing is something that should be announced cause it can help a Blader know, oh this dude’s borrowing the bearing driver, so that means he probably doesn’t actually have it and he might not have good same spin combos, or something like that.
What if the player buys/borrows a bearing from another player, during the event, right before the event, or when an arrangement is made for this part 2 weeks before the event?

I mean that’s actually cool. Cause specific parts may be really expensive to get, so you could literally just buy them for a decent price at a tournament. And a cool activity for fun is if 2 people dont want a part they could battle for them and whoever wins gets both parts or something. 

I don’t think we should announce what parts they have in general, that makes it to confusing and gives everyone an idea of what they are using. That’s not good for the first stage cause the whole idea is that you should NOT know what the opponent is using. I think they should just announce the part that they are borrowing, that’s all.
(Sep. 27, 2021  4:31 PM)TheRogueBlader Wrote:
(Sep. 27, 2021  4:28 PM)Shindog Wrote: What if the player buys/borrows a bearing from another player, during the event, right before the event, or when an arrangement is made for this part 2 weeks before the event?

I mean that’s actually cool. Cause specific parts may be really expensive to get, so you could literally just buy them for a decent price at a tournament. And a cool activity for fun is if 2 people dont want a part they could battle for them and whoever wins gets both parts or something. 

I don’t think we should announce what parts they have in general, that makes it to confusing and gives everyone an idea of what they are using. That’s not good for the first stage cause the whole idea is that you should NOT know what the opponent is using. I think they should just announce the part that they are borrowing, that’s all.
So if you can buy it, the it’s okay not to announce it. I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly. If you can’t buy it for any reason and have to borrow it, you would need to announce it?
(Sep. 27, 2021  4:34 PM)Shindog Wrote:
(Sep. 27, 2021  4:31 PM)TheRogueBlader Wrote: I mean that’s actually cool. Cause specific parts may be really expensive to get, so you could literally just buy them for a decent price at a tournament. And a cool activity for fun is if 2 people dont want a part they could battle for them and whoever wins gets both parts or something. 

So if you can buy it, the it’s okay not to announce it. I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly. If you can’t buy it for any reason and have to borrow it, you would need to announce it?
Yeah, if you buy it then that means the art is yours so you would not need to announce it, but if you borrow it then you would need to announce the part you’re borrowing. But that’s just what I think, maybe wait till a lot of people give their opinions, add that to yours and then maybe work out a solution?
(Sep. 27, 2021  4:37 PM)TheRogueBlader Wrote:
(Sep. 27, 2021  4:34 PM)Shindog Wrote: So if you can buy it, the it’s okay not to announce it. I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly. If you can’t buy it for any reason and have to borrow it, you would need to announce it?
Yeah, if you buy it then that means the art is yours so you would not need to announce it, but if you borrow it then you would need to announce the part you’re borrowing. But that’s just what I think, maybe wait till a lot of people give their opinions, add that to yours and then maybe work out a solution?
What about renting a part? This happens in TCGs, at least I have seen it in the past.

Just a hypothetical question
(Sep. 27, 2021  4:41 PM)Shindog Wrote:
(Sep. 27, 2021  4:37 PM)TheRogueBlader Wrote: Yeah, if you buy it then that means the art is yours so you would not need to announce it, but if you borrow it then you would need to announce the part you’re borrowing. But that’s just what I think, maybe wait till a lot of people give their opinions, add that to yours and then maybe work out a solution?
What about renting a part? This happens in TCGs, at least I have seen it in the past.
Renting a part seems kind of wierd to me, but if some bladers allow it then I guess? To be honest I don’t know what TCG’s are but renting would be the same as borrowing, except the Blader renting it would also have to pay money. If you are renting a part then I guess you wouldn’t need to announce it since the part is technically yours for that period of time.
(Sep. 27, 2021  4:43 PM)TheRogueBlader Wrote:
(Sep. 27, 2021  4:41 PM)Shindog Wrote: What about renting a part? This happens in TCGs, at least I have seen it in the past.
Renting a part seems kind of wierd to me, but if some bladers allow it then I guess? To be honest I don’t know what TCG’s are but renting would be the same as borrowing, except the Blader renting it would also have to pay money. If you are renting a part then I guess you wouldn’t need to announce it since the part is technically yours for that period of time.
TCGs are trading card games.  I think it can be difficult for the WBO to fully figure out precisely borrowing vs buying vs leasing vs gifting and etc.
(Sep. 27, 2021  5:08 PM)Shindog Wrote:
(Sep. 27, 2021  4:43 PM)TheRogueBlader Wrote: Renting a part seems kind of wierd to me, but if some bladers allow it then I guess? To be honest I don’t know what TCG’s are but renting would be the same as borrowing, except the Blader renting it would also have to pay money. If you are renting a part then I guess you wouldn’t need to announce it since the part is technically yours for that period of time.
TCGs are trading card games.  I think it can be difficult for the WBO to fully figure out precisely borrowing vs buying vs leasing vs gifting and etc.
True. So, just in my opinion, anything is allowed like renting, buying, gifting borrowing etc… But you should announce your parts if you are borrowing them. If the art is yours, even for only a short period of time you don’t need to announce it. So basically whenever a part isn’t yours and you’re using it, it should be announced. If the part is yours for however long, it doesn’t need to be announced.
(Sep. 27, 2021  5:10 PM)TheRogueBlader Wrote:
(Sep. 27, 2021  5:08 PM)Shindog Wrote: TCGs are trading card games.  I think it can be difficult for the WBO to fully figure out precisely borrowing vs buying vs leasing vs gifting and etc.
True. So, just in my opinion, anything is allowed like renting, buying, gifting borrowing etc… But you should announce your parts if you are borrowing them. If the art is yours, even for only a short period of time you don’t need to announce it. So basically whenever a part isn’t yours and you’re using it, it should be announced. If the part is yours for however long, it doesn’t need to be announced.
I guess I am stuck on what make ownership or the exchange of money a determining factor.
I like the idea of number 2. If it's confronted by the judge (assuming this is before combos are being made not after they are made), it lets the opposing player know that there is an unknown part and will probably have to reconsider the combo they are using if the person opposing the said person borrowing already has an idea of play style and parts. It can also help with shy or socially awkward people in the situation they are borrowing something. This could go with the rule around advice as well. Once again it lets the opposing player know their opponent is using a strategy to possibly counter what they have used previously and would allow for a new strategy. If that makes sense.
I don’t understand the borrowing thing at all either. Granted, I haven’t gone to a tournament before. But if I went, I could bring as many parts as I like, right? I own every part available. 2 of each part, more likely. So if I lend one of them to someone, they have to announce they borrowed a part from me. But it could literally be any burst part that exists.

So I guess this helps the opponent knowing that this person that borrowed from me has a new part. But does he have to announce it before every different battle? Or just his first battle using it? I just really don’t see any reason at all for this rule to exist. Maybe there’s something I am not thinking of though.

As far as not taking advice once a battle has begun, absolutely. I think it goes without saying. And if someone is offering advice from the sidelines, that person should be removed from watching the battle.
(Sep. 29, 2021  2:29 AM)ReckerTA Wrote: I don’t understand the borrowing thing at all either. Granted, I haven’t gone to a tournament before. But if I went, I could bring as many parts as I like, right? I own every part available. 2 of each part, more likely. So if I lend one of them to someone, they have to announce they borrowed a part from me. But it could literally be any burst part that exists.

So I guess this helps the opponent knowing that this person that borrowed from me has a new part. But does he have to announce it before every different battle? Or just his first battle using it? I just really don’t see any reason at all for this rule to exist. Maybe there’s something I am not  thinking of though.

As far as not taking advice once a battle has begun, absolutely. I think it goes without saying. And if someone is offering advice from the sidelines, that person should be removed from watching the battle.
Yes, under the current rules, an announcement would need to be made when playing against each different opponent.
When my area used to do tournaments, parts were borrowed often but I don't think there was any official announcement from the players that they were borrowing parts, it was mostly implied as they usually had to scramble to find parts while at the stadium, due to either bringing a fake or a part having improper wear.

As much as I think it would be beneficial to have players announce if/when they're borrowing parts (as well as have this fact noted on the winning combo's list if they place high enough), it's not a rule I've ever seen enforced, personally. So I feel that anything done would be a welcome change for this rule.
(Sep. 29, 2021  5:45 AM)BladerGem Wrote: When my area used to do tournaments, parts were borrowed often but I don't think there was any official announcement from the players that they were borrowing parts, it was mostly implied as they usually had to scramble to find parts while at the stadium, due to either bringing a fake or a part having improper wear.

As much as I think it would be beneficial to have players announce if/when they're borrowing parts (as well as have this fact noted on the winning combo's list if they place high enough), it's not a rule I've ever seen enforced, personally. So I feel that anything done would be a welcome change for this rule.

I basically agree. For the Burst Classic in Indiana I was the one telling others that they borrowed parts from me, not the Bladers themselves announcing it. Nobody seemed to listen or care.
Honestly to me this rule is entirely unnecessary and I would go with option 1. What does it really matter if someone is borrowing a part or even a whole blade? I have a friend of mine as well as my son that don't have parts of their own, yet I have enough parts for both of them to use to play in tournaments. The idea of someone having to own a part and announce if they are borrowing a part just sounds rediculous to me. My son is 5 and only like to play at tournaments so why would he need to announce that he os borrowing his father's parts? it's not like as a 5 year old he is gonna remember to tell his opponent or the judge that he is usiong my parts. I also see a lot of kids with siblings playing at tournaments. What is they share their parts? and techically they didn't pay for them. Their parents did. So does that mean their parents own them and the are "barrowing" them from their parents? There aer so many factors that you would actually have to consider for this that it isn't even worth having. I understand not having people coach or give advice during a match. But does my son really have to tell someone that he got advice from me just because i told him to light launch against a opposite spin bey when he is using my drift combo? Plus this can just be used as a cheap way to get a win on someone that clearly beat you. If you lose to a little kid and their parent plays as well and you realize they are barrowing parts from their parent and you decide to exploit the rule I personally would think you should just be disquallified for rule sharking. In card games like Yu-Gi-Oh it is actually a rule that you can gte game and match losses if you try to over exploit a rule on your opponent when it was a clear honest mistake on their part. So no I don't think this rule is needed at all.
So heres my stance, I'd love to Just up and get rid of the rule and make the rulebook a few sentences lighter BUT one circumstance has came to mind that makes me not want to go through with this.

Scenario:
Blader one: "Hey that's my part"
Blader two: "No! I brought it"
yes I'm aware this sounds like a children's fight but where does this leave a organizer? who's part is it really? how do we prove it? can we prove it? situations like this can be a problem if not being announced that your borrowing parts you could borrow a part without announcing it and then when the tournament is over just say "I don't know what your talking about I brought this Metal Drift" and the Organizer is stuck with no information on who's it actually is and we want to keep the reputation of the WBO a Place where tournaments dont end in mad bladers cause there Over disc got stolen. So what can we do about this? well Honestly There's no Real way to settle this, except changing the rule to Be easier and yet still Be clear about Part sharing. How this rule would work still needs a thought on my end But The only real way I can think of to solve this is to Ban sharing except for Lender parts given out by tournament staff that are specially marked. Once again I need some thinking time to come up with some rule changes because getting rid of the rule Doesn't seem fit incase something does happen regarding that area. Yes I'm aware alot of people feel otherwise that this rule is useless but I really don't think deleting the rule entirly is a good idea
(Oct. 04, 2021  11:50 PM)Lucha Burst Wrote: So heres my stance, I'd love to Just up and get rid of the rule and make the rulebook a few sentences lighter BUT one circumstance has came to mind that makes me not want to go through with this.

Scenario:
yes I'm aware this sounds like a children's fight but where does this leave a organizer? who's part is it really? how do we prove it? can we prove it? situations like this can be a problem if not being announced that your borrowing parts you could borrow a part without announcing it and then when the tournament is over just say "I don't know what your talking about I brought this Metal Drift" and the Organizer is stuck with no information on who's it actually is and we want to keep the reputation of the WBO a Place where tournaments dont end in mad bladers cause there Over disc got stolen. So what can we do about this? well Honestly There's no Real way to settle this, except changing the rule to Be easier and yet still Be clear about Part sharing. How this rule would work still needs a thought on my end But The only real way I can think of to solve this is to Ban sharing except for Lender parts given out by tournament staff that are specially marked. Once again I need some thinking time to come up with some rule changes because getting rid of the rule Doesn't seem fit incase something does happen regarding that area. Yes I'm aware alot of people feel otherwise that this rule is useless but I really don't think deleting the rule entirly is a good idea

I see your point but at the same time this situation wouldn’t even have to happen at the end of the event. Player A and B are about to battle. Player C comes up and says player A has one of his parts. Player A says he does not. Who is lying in this situation? This could even happen right now with the rule in place. So it doesn’t really change anything if the rule is there or not.
(Oct. 04, 2021  11:50 PM)Lucha Burst Wrote: So heres my stance, I'd love to Just up and get rid of the rule and make the rulebook a few sentences lighter BUT one circumstance has came to mind that makes me not want to go through with this.

Scenario:
What would we do if we replace all instances of a Beyblade part, such as metal drift, in the above scenario with $20 instead?
(Oct. 05, 2021  1:34 AM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote:

Scenario:

I see your point but at the same time this situation wouldn’t even have to happen at the end of the event. Player A and B are about to battle. Player C comes up and says player A has one of his parts. Player A says he does not. Who is lying in this situation? This could even happen right now with the rule in place. So it doesn’t really change anything if the rule is there or not.
thats why i suggest we build on the rule rather then get rid of it
(Oct. 05, 2021  4:07 PM)Lucha Burst Wrote:
(Oct. 05, 2021  1:34 AM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote: I see your point but at the same time this situation wouldn’t even have to happen at the end of the event. Player A and B are about to battle. Player C comes up and says player A has one of his parts. Player A says he does not. Who is lying in this situation? This could even happen right now with the rule in place. So it doesn’t really change anything if the rule is there or not.

But that’s the point there is no way to build on the rule to stop situations like this from happening. Unless you want to ban loaning parts out. But then you run into the issue of little kids that show up and unknowing to them or their parents all of their parts are fake. Normally when that happens other bladers gather some extra parts for the kid to use for the day. But if you ban them from doing so then you have to tell the kid that they are unable to play.
(Oct. 05, 2021  6:55 PM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote:
(Oct. 05, 2021  4:07 PM)Lucha Burst Wrote: thats why i suggest we build on the rule rather then get rid of it

But that’s the point there is no way to build on the rule to stop situations like this from happening. Unless you want to ban loaning parts out. But then you run into the issue of little kids that show up and unknowing to them or their parents all of their parts are fake. Normally when that happens other bladers gather some extra parts for the kid to use for the day. But if you ban them from doing so then you have to tell the kid that they are unable to play.

Yeah I get that, I guess there will just have to be a gap in the rulebook for this type of situation
(Oct. 05, 2021  4:07 PM)Lucha Burst Wrote:
(Oct. 05, 2021  1:34 AM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote: I see your point but at the same time this situation wouldn’t even have to happen at the end of the event. Player A and B are about to battle. Player C comes up and says player A has one of his parts. Player A says he does not. Who is lying in this situation? This could even happen right now with the rule in place. So it doesn’t really change anything if the rule is there or not.
This is why I replaced the “Beyblade part” with $20.  Why are we treating a Beyblade part unlike $20?  For example, what if I borrowed the $20 and bought a Beyblade part at the event to use at the event?  Should I announce that?  Whether or I steal a Beyblade part or $20, it is still stealing right?