Suggestions for the Wiki

Is there need for cloud & crash comparison to torch and midnight?
(Oct. 15, 2012  4:58 PM)JinbeeTheShark Wrote: Is there need for cloud & crash comparison to torch and midnight?

Yes, because they are not the same.
(Oct. 15, 2012  9:10 PM)Kai-V Wrote:
(Oct. 15, 2012  4:58 PM)JinbeeTheShark Wrote: Is there need for cloud & crash comparison to torch and midnight?

Yes, because they are not the same.

Oh I think this should happen as pictures when they write and complete a torch Aries or midnight bull article.
Well, I had been thinking about this since quite a long time-

How about we have a more detailed Parts List on the Wiki?
Something that also acts as a Tier list? Or to put it more clearly- It indicates the usefulness of a certain part.
We may have all beys listed in the usual order of their Product Codes, but how about just stating (in brief) the usage of each? For example-

BB-99 Hell Kerbecs BD145DS
Hell [outclassed Stamina wheel]
Kerbecs [decent CW for Defense]
BD145 [top tier Defense]
DS [outclassed]

Advantages- It would provide a quick overview of the bey. This thing can actually be put up even before an article for a particular bey is made. This would help us provide precise information about each part, and also provide necessary help to newbies without keeping them waiting for the articles to show up. Not to mention that we have MANY people here who are too impatient to read BeyWiki articles, which results in them acting too foolish altogether. This list might help avoid such instances. Also, it might act as a BRILLIANT reference list for "combo-builders" in Build Me a Combo, who can refer to this list and suggest combos. Lastly, this list will also help the Purchase Consultation thread.

Disadvantages- The idea's greatest advantage is also a disadvantage. Constant updating is required.
Not to mention that it will promote laziness (people wouldn't care to read the BeyWiki articles). It would be tough to provide information about parts that aren't yet tested. However, to make up for it, we can do something like-
Goreim (yet to be tested)
OR-
Goreim (being tested *link to testing thread*)

Sooo, what do you all think?

EDIT- Um, I am EXTREMELY sorry if this has been mentioned earlier. I have been away for quite sometime, and have lost track of most things on this Forum (especially Zero G).
Hm, I just do not think this is necessary when most Beyblades will have an article already and that you can click on the links to learn whether its parts are useful, and learn much more than that.
Hm, that's true. Smile
However, how about having this as a temporary implementation? It might be a passable substitute for the "yet to be written" articles, you know!

Also, the concept of having all the beys put together on one page, with their parts being given a "class" or "category" of usage is quite efficient, in my opinion. It would actually be a much more extensive Tier List in a way, though...
This may be going a little overboard, so you can say "no", "this idea is carp" afterwards, and my feelings won't be hurt, haha. So, here it is:

If anybody has a Google account, you may, or may not know about Google Docs/Drive. It's kind of like Microsoft word, but you can actually share your documents with other users, and let them edit your drafts. If you and the other user are viewing that same document at the same time, there is a chat feature that allows you to exchange ideas without SPAM on the BeyWiki forum! Yay!

You can also create groups, which allows you let other users that are in it edit any document that you put into the group! And the owner of the group can kick out any user that they think are trashing drafts on purpose.

So this idea may work better than putting drafts on here!

All criticism is needed on this idea. Thanks for reading!
The beywiki subforum already does all of that perfectly fine, in a much more controlled manner.
Why by a separate application when you could a; use this site for free and b; if you use a Mac or something like an IPod Touch (both in my case)?
(Oct. 20, 2012  7:19 PM)*Ginga* Wrote: Why by a separate application when you could a; use this site for free and b; if you use a Mac or something like an IPod Touch (both in my case)?

What does using an apple device have to do with it?
Of you are talking about the Mac, I don't know, it might not support it. *ponyshrug*
(Oct. 20, 2012  11:35 PM)*Ginga* Wrote: Of you are talking about the Mac, I don't know, it might not support it. *ponyshrug*

... Google Docs and Google Drive are web-based... Even macs can use them. You could have googled that, you know.
Sorry for the revival, but could we give the link to the discussion thread for parts and specific combos? It's so that people can see the specific test results and percentages. I feel like "potent smash attack" or something like that doesn't justify it. Plus, you can see results against specific combos, not just know that it does good against one type in general.

For example, in the MB section, we could have

Use in Balance Customization

MB is a vital piece in the Duo combo MF-H Duo Aquario/Cancer/Cygnus 230MB. This combo works as a wobbler combination. Due to the maximal height and the ball-shaped tip, the combo has the ability to wobble at extreme angles and recover. It uses destabilization and force grind to defeat opponents. Because of the nature of MB, its greatest weakness is Attack types however.

Discussion Link - http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-MF-M-Duo-Cygnus-230-MB

so people can see that it has about a 95% chance of winning against Defese types, and so on.
Our current way of presenting articles is repetative. While we do want an article for every individual bey, or most of them, we do not want to continue to bore our readers by copy and pasting the description for "Samurai" for both Samurai Ifraid and Samurai Pegasus, for example.

My proposal is that each individual part recieve an article. This will allow us a few advantages.

-Page clutter reduction of full Beyblade pages. Less repetative desciptions and gallery photos per article

-Allows pages about full Beyblades to be more about that Beyblade; how it preforms, quality of the bey, value and rarity of the bey, historical information, evaluation of whether or not it is a worthwile purchase, (etc)

-Articles about a specific part will allow for more in depth information about that part. More detailed dicussion can go into the physical features of the part, and its use in various customizations.

-Pages can be more organized. Catagories for parts can be created, such as "Metal Wheels" and would allow for access to all Metal Wheel pages, for example.
A few points-
- We cater to a huge, young audience, and by formatting our articles your way, we'd actually present incomplete articles. You can't expect each individual to know about such parts. Why, people may not even know that Samurai Ifraid are names of two different parts- which is clearly evident from the "how do I make Basalt Kerbecs BD145CS?" Questions. I hope you understand. I mean- Not everyone knows that Samurai is a part that has seen multiple releases. We write every article as if its the very first beyblade article being read by an individual. We can't expect them to be "know it alls". For people who know too much, they can simply scroll down and avoid a certain section- much easier.
- We do condense the size of articles when need be- most of the Weight Disc sections are proof.
- we already have articles systematically arranged into various categories.....

Moreover, a bey never performs. Its the various parts it contains which "perform"
We never have a "Samurai Ifraid W145CF Testing Thread", but a "W145 Testing Thread", "CF Testing Thread", etc.
As for rarity, value, etc; the overall section is sufficient...
Well said, Jan!

He pretty much has it down to a T. You have to keep the intended audience for Beyblade in mind. The wiki is supposed to serve as an accurate description of every single Beyblade released, but we cannot ask for a reader to sift through several articles to identify the parts of their Beyblade. The current method allows us to search a beyblade and its parts up and read comprehensive descriptions on each and every part of that blade, no matter how many times any part has been used before.
(Jan. 01, 2013  1:32 AM)Mr. N Wrote: Sorry for the revival, but could we give the link to the discussion thread for parts and specific combos? It's so that people can see the specific test results and percentages. I feel like "potent smash attack" or something like that doesn't justify it. Plus, you can see results against specific combos, not just know that it does good against one type in general.

For example, in the MB section, we could have

Use in Balance Customization

MB is a vital piece in the Duo combo MF-H Duo Aquario/Cancer/Cygnus 230MB. This combo works as a wobbler combination. Due to the maximal height and the ball-shaped tip, the combo has the ability to wobble at extreme angles and recover. It uses destabilization and force grind to defeat opponents. Because of the nature of MB, its greatest weakness is Attack types however.

Discussion Link - http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-MF-M-Duo-Cygnus-230-MB

so people can see that it has about a 95% chance of winning against Defese types, and so on.

Can someone respond to my suggestion? I just want to hear someone else's opinion on this.
I don't see the point tbh. Also capable members will find those on their own so it's just kinda spoon feeding imo.
I also like the idea of what is basically referencing what articles say. It may not always be possible, but if it is, it would be good to include at the very least links to part testing threads (which, if mods/OP writers have time, should have their OP's constantly updated with links to testing posts).

I strongly disagree with basically everything LT13 suggested, as per the reasons Janstarblast stated. All the information should be there on the page. We can break it up more by including part images in the section for each part, so pages look less "wall of text"-like. IMO that should be enough.

I would like to highlight a couple of things myself though - first off, sections SHOULD contain the information LT13 mentioned - it's what we aim for in plastics articles, with descriptions of each combination. This, however, is lengthy, and as a lot of combinations in MFB are much less 'unique' in terms of how they work, it's not necessary - though for those that do work in unique fashions, they absolutely should be explained.

Honestly, I'm still very uneasy with the use of the Weight Disk and Generic Blade Base pages for plastics articles. If/when we get the suggestion about frames or whateveritwas that would allow pages to be put together from sections, then I think the latter will go away after a little editing. Weight disk articles still have a place as they discuss the properties of each 'series' of weight disk, but I'm working on reformatting them so there are sections for each weight disk which could become (with a little editing) the basis for each weight disks section within articles. Either way, none of these require particularly lengthy descriptions so once they are all done to a standard I would allow in an article, we may look at reintegrating them.

I do have one other thing to suggest, though, which does relate to page length. That is, a separate gallery page for each beyblade. Pretty much just split the gallery section off into its own page, to reduce page length. We could have the most important pictures there but if we adopt the practice of putting them in sections, even that isn't completely necessary.

Sure, if it is subtle, we can add references. How about this :
http://wiki.worldbeyblade.org/index.php/...um#Overall
That works, but I was thinking either something similar to how wikipedia does it (albeit slightly less intensive) if that's possible with the software we're running, or at least a links section at the bottom of articles, myself. I think that would make it less cluttered.
With an annotation and then a huge list of references at the bottom of the article ? Would that not be counter-productive to the other suggestions you mentioned, hah ?
I have never really paid much attention to those lists, unlike large galleries, and they're below the overall section (and putting the gallery below the overall section seems... unintuitive, I guess). As I said, it would not need to be intensive, so it wouldn't take up much space anyway. Still, I think a links section is the best way to go, that way Zero G and BB-10 testing threads could be situated on a single line, if need be.
(Jan. 09, 2013  10:15 AM)th!nk Wrote: Honestly, I'm still very uneasy with the use of the Weight Disk and Generic Blade Base pages for plastics articles. If/when we get the suggestion about frames or whateveritwas that would allow pages to be put together from sections, then I think the latter will go away after a little editing. Weight disk articles still have a place as they discuss the properties of each 'series' of weight disk, but I'm working on reformatting them so there are sections for each weight disk which could become (with a little editing) the basis for each weight disks section within articles. Either way, none of these require particularly lengthy descriptions so once they are all done to a standard I would allow in an article, we may look at reintegrating them.

That function exists on the version of MediaWiki currently used by Beywiki, albeit in a limited form; it does not let you "tag" sections, so you can only export one segment from the source page, unlike the unlimited number the update and plugin would provide. So Generic (SG) Flat/Sharp/Semi-Flat Bases would work (and Weight Disks, if we chose to make individual articles for them), if less efficiently. It would however reduce the number of Beyblade articles that act as "portal pages" for individual parts.

(Jan. 09, 2013  10:15 AM)th!nk Wrote: I do have one other thing to suggest, though, which does relate to page length. That is, a separate gallery page for each beyblade. Pretty much just split the gallery section off into its own page, to reduce page length. We could have the most important pictures there but if we adopt the practice of putting them in sections, even that isn't completely necessary.

I'm personally not against it (as if it was my call), but the gallery function is already rather stupid considering it only creates individual thumbnails, but I'll check and see if I can dig up something more useful.