Suggestions for the Wiki

It would be a good idea in the long term, for sure, and I definitely think it's a good idea. It won't be an easy task, but there's little reason not to at least attempt to get videos up for combinations.

Here's a suggestion proposed to me by one of the Wikia people (manaphy if I recall correctly), which I thought was excellent, and promised to bring up, but never really had the chance - Having pictures of each part in that parts section.

Not only would it make it easier to understand what a part looks like with much less effort, but it would also make the often awkward business of adequately describing a part much simpler, as there would be an image right there for readers to refer to. Obviously, we don't have images of everything and it shouldn't hold up the publishing of articles, but once articles are up, I think it would be a very good idea to do that, rather than just lumping them together in the gallery section (though the gallery section should still remain).
One thing we also must consider is the misconception that Beblade Wiki is our "sworn enemy". They aren't, and alot of the Beyblade Wiki users are WBO users too. Perhaps, it would be better if the 2 wikis worked together in some fashion?

I like th!nk's idea of appealing to the younger demographic; we try so hard to be sophisticated, and yet, the goal of our wiki is to help kids.

Here is another concern of mine: Most articles are composed of sections that have already been pre-made or wriitten elsewhere. Now while I do believe that even the Metal Wheels and Clear Wheels should have links to those places that already describe them, underneath those links should be a description of that part of how it works in this combo, in conjunction with its other parts. For example, an article for Rock Aquario 25SF, each section would link to a description of those part description, and then, lets say in the "Rock" section, it is described as having decent, but outclassed attack power in combination eith a midheight track and stable performance tip
(Jun. 01, 2012  12:08 PM)LeonTempestXIII Wrote: Here is another concern of mine: Most articles are composed of sections that have already been pre-made or wriitten elsewhere. Now while I do believe that even the Metal Wheels and Clear Wheels should have links to those places that already describe them, underneath those links should be a description of that part of how it works in this combo, in conjunction with its other parts. For example, an article for Rock Aquario 25SF, each section would link to a description of those part description, and then, lets say in the "Rock" section, it is described as having decent, but outclassed attack power in combination eith a midheight track and stable performance tip

Most Beyblades are bad out-of-the-box, which is why we concentrate on each part alone, and then, in the Overall section, we make some links and discuss whether a Beyblade is worth buying. If Rock happens to be good with mid-height Tracks, then it will be mentioned in the Rock section already, but it will not be top-tier or notable at all, and as such, paired with SF, it is still a very bad combination.
OK, I added Zero-G to the MFB Product List, as well as all the release dates for everything else. I am not certain about a space though ...
Is there a thread where you can post photos for BeyWiki? I can't find one Uncertain Might just be me.
(Jun. 05, 2012  10:24 PM)Kai-V Wrote: http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Beywiki-Photo-thread

...aand Kai-V saves the day again.

EDIT: Maybe you guys can add something about the "bump" on the Basalt metal...
^that belongs in the wiki errors thread...
(Jun. 07, 2012  10:06 PM)LeonTempestXIII Wrote: ^that belongs in the wiki errors thread...

Well,it isn't really an error IMO...but okay I will post it.

It was just a suggestion since many of them have this "bump"...
Well, read the OP. This thread isnt about improving individual articles, its about the wiki itself.

They all have the bump

And ya, the Wiki Errors thread needs a better name IMO
Sorry to DP, but shouldnt we have a Wiki Activity page or something? It would be much easier to keep track of all of the edits made. At the very list, can someone add a link to the special page "Recent Changes" on the main page, so that we don't have to keep digging through the wiki to find it ourselves? (if anyone even does that other than me haha)

On another note, why hasn't this thread been stickied? I would label this thread as highly important, no? It is about improving the quality of our wiki
It could be because it hasn't come up with anything. Seriously it hasn't.
It would be kind of cool to see that IMO. Wikipedia has a similar function.
Being able to see something like the Pegasis 105F article when it was first put up would definitely give me a throw back in time. Hell, systems before that! I like the idea.
Most of the Wikias nowadays use the recent changes and wiki activity functions frequently. If we are going to make any changes, this should be the 1st one. It would really help us keep better track of things around here. I am not good at programming, so I really can't offer away for us to make the page, even if it is as simple as Wiki code.

I will wait a while. If no one pursues my recommendation, but it is still considered an asset to the wiki, then I shall research a way to make one myself, or at least provide the info needed to whom ever set up the programming for our wiki

EDIT: Also, a tag for Zero-G pages as WIPs wouldn't hurt us either. The aren't exactly stubs compared to a normal article we know little about. Zero-G is a whole new game. Something else we have to consider is how we will incorporate descriptions about how each part does in both normal and Zero-G game play without overcrowding the articles. (although for the sake of information, I don't think overcrowding will be to much of an issue anyway, and making 2 pages for the same bey would be stupid)
I am not certain what all of you are talking about, but are there really any major edits that deserve to be highlighted on the main page more than what we currently have under "Article Updates" ? If there was a way to have the listing done automatically instead of manually editing the list, that would be appreciated, but I think we already have the necessary otherwise.

All Zero-G articles have a clear message in italic at their beginning letting the viewer know that it is just a stub at the moment.
Well, at the very least, add a link to this page in the toolbar and/or on the main page.

http://wiki.worldbeyblade.org/index.php/...entchanges

If you havent already seen it, this is what I mean by wiki activity (example provided using the Beyblade Wikia to give you the best representation of what we should have)

http://beyblade.wikia.com/wiki/Special:WikiActivity

Now notice the box on the top right corner of the page o that link; click it and a list should appear/ On that list, you can see that a button exists for "Wiki Activity", which is how you get to that page. For Wikia, if you choose to be automatically logged in with a cookie, you are directly sent to the wiki activity page when you go to the site, rather than the wiki home page

If you are interested Kai-V, I will do a bit of research for you and see what I can find, and if there is a way to get such a thing, or something like it, to our wiki Smile

If we can't do a wiki activity list, a feed for new articles that auto updates itself shouldn't be to hard to find. And like I said, just add the recent changes page we already have to the toolbar for now; that will more than suffice
Search if you can, but it seems like that is something that only Wikia has.
For now, just make that 1st link to Recent Changes accessible on the main page of the wiki or to our toolbar. I will pm you if I find anything else that requires some coding and is easier to use than recent changes. Smile

Edit: If that template is not protected, I shall do it.

EDIT 2: It is done

http://wiki.worldbeyblade.org/index.php/Main_Page (see the template)
If you're going to fiddle with the main page, at least click the link to ensure it works, as that was broken...

I've fixed it, but I don't feel that is the correct place for that link. Did you run it past Kai-V or Kei before adding it?
That box is for beyblade related links, not wiki related links. We should be able to put a recent changes link down the bottom of the page where special pages and upload file appear once you're logged in, that would be the most appropriate place but it can also be reached from the special pages link there already... I'd imagine that's either part of the site coding or at least something that can only be reached through an admin control panel of sorts, though.

Also, Kai-V, I would strongly suggest you protect the templates of things appearing on the main page at the very least, so that regular users cannot edit them....
The link was broken? How odd. Thank you for correcting it.

As you can see in the conversation above, Kai-V had no real objections to me adding it. And if she did, there is a magical button known as undo, haha.

I see what you are saying, but the idea of making the Recent Changes page easier to find is to increaae the rate at which we prevent problems and incorrect information. Half of the things on the wiki errors thread are problems that exist days or weeks before ever being noticed and fixed. Also, alot of people do not know about the recent changes page, so this only seeks to aid in our efforts to improve the wiki.

Your suggestion for the location of the link seems like a good idea. I will try to find a way to add that later today when I have more time, if that is alright. However, as you said, it is likely that editing the area we desire will be out if reach for non-sysops, as you stated.

I dont forsee any simple spamming fool going out of their way to ruin a template, or someone editing it that lacks the knowlage. With that said, however, I myself just added a broken link to a template. Any mistakes people make on the wiki can be undone, and with the exception of the main page, I see little reason as to why we need to go protection crazy with anything. But if the mods truely feel that the templates need protecting, then I shall comply.
So you would not be able to see "Recent Changes" unless you logged in ?

LeonTempestXIII, before you go and modify or even remove things from article/stubs that are made by me, ask me. I had to undo almost everything you did yesterday or the day before.
Yes, but only logged in users would really want to see that anyway, we have a recent article list so as long as that is updated regularly there's no real reason for unregistered users to want to see the recent changes page.

Leon, dismissing trolls and vandals as stupid is a great way to suddenly find your site smeared with rapidly flashing animated images and things that would turn your stomach (if not make you want to claw out your eyes).
Locking mainpage templates, or any major template, to specific groups of users is standard practice for a really good reason.
I could see it even though I wasn't logged into the wiki.
(Jul. 21, 2012  8:31 PM)Ultra Wrote: I could see it even though I wasn't logged into the wiki.

That is because we have not tried that alternative yet ...
Kai V, the only edits you undid of mine are the ones about Wing Pegasus and LDrago Gaurdian being a simplified version of BB Pegasus and a defensive LDD, both of which, in my defense, are un-sourced comments, in addition to being rather trivial, something this wiki does not practice. But, yes, next time, I will notify you about such things.

I have had to lock many pages for the wiki I mod on, but in time, the general public consensus is to unlock it. Locking certain types of pages for to long can be counterproductive; 90% of the templates I use on my wiki were created by a non moderator, and without his input and help, the wiki would not be as good as it is now. Granted, all of the changes he made were 1st discussed in depth, but there has to be a certain trust level factor involved, otherwise nothing gets done. Plus as I said, any horrific mistakes can be fixed in seconds with the undo function, so nothing will ever be permanently damaged. Protect your main page and most of your templates for the good of the wiki, as you should, but remember that there are certain times that are better than others. That is my 2 cents anyway.