State of the WBO

Honestly its the same problem a lot of times in politics. Personal morals, beliefs, act, all create that atmosphere. the customizations forum isn't for a fun or ok combo, its for competitively viable combinations, and mist customs dont cut it. People do need to realize though that they need not to be so Damn harsh there. Lighten your attitude and say the facts without any extra things that can lead to it spiraling off topic, or an angry argument In between each other.
I'd also like to state that because the of the cutthroat like attitude people are giving the newbies to the customization sub forum (Not necessarily forum newbies) there has been a significant decline in useful threads and or commentary. It has become so hostile that helpful posters are too intimidated to bother posting in the threads in fear of being shot down like a sniper rifle to an airborne duck.
^Interesting metaphor...but it's true, a lot of people wimp out of posting because of the fear they'll be criticized for it. People need to find a way to criticize without coming across so harshly. Sounds stupid, but avoiding the words "wrong" and "never" could help. Maybe using "Instead, try" or "That could work, but what could be better is" or something along those lines.
(Jan. 17, 2012  12:37 AM)Cyber_Draciel Wrote: I'd also like to state that because the of the cutthroat like attitude people are giving the newbies to the customization sub forum (Not necessarily forum newbies) there has been a significant decline in useful threads and or commentary. It has become so hostile that helpful posters are too intimidated to bother posting in the threads in fear of being shot down like a sniper rifle to an airborne duck.

I will continue dropping nuclear bombs on pigeons that insist on flying into our airspace intoxicated.

Threads that are actually useful are not closed or often criticized. If people cannot tell the difference between useful and not useful, they are better off not making a thread. Anyone who has not thoroughly read the tier lists, current competitive combos list, and the threads for modern parts also has no business making a thread in that forum.

I rather like my old standby of "Before trying to think outside of the box, please familiarize yourself with its contents", and things along those lines - but the most common and most applicable thing is to just direct people to the threads involving what is going on.

I often prefer not to give people links directly to things, however, as there is an extremely disturbing trend, lately, of people who just outright refuse to actually look for things in a forum that is laid out very simply...
To everybody who posts complaints here : Could you give us clear examples of replies or atmospheres you dislike ? It would really help me.
Hazel you would kill baby pigeons?
Guys, this site isn't filled with a bunch of adults. There are people on here that could be 6 years old, 8, 12, any age. Some of the younger people might not know right from wrong yet, so it's our job as the MATURE, RESPONSIBLE adults/teenagers to show them that-in the nicest way possible. Behind the screen of your laptop, you don't know someone's story. You don't know I have a rare kidney disease (Not that I do, but bear with me here), or that some other member only says they're 20 but really is 6. We don't know that, no matter how much you say you do. That's why we should treat every member with respect and kindness, because otherwise-as Hazel put it-we could be dropping those A-bombs on baby pigeons.
Moreover, some people should also learn to accept that they are wrong...
Not only should they need to refer to the Tier List/Competitive Combos and the understand the use of every part, they must also try to accept corrections from experienced members. I ma' go and make up a Blitz Bull BD145WD...
Why? Every part is in Top Tier. But, what about trying to know more about it(the combo is a mismatch, BD145 would scrape, etc.).
The most simple point that arises is, "You told me to refer to the Tier List, and I am doing it. So I am not wrong."
Although I have experienced all this quite a many times, I am unable to provide a "real-life example"; and I am extremely sorry for that. But what is presented above, is just what may usually happen when an experienced person tries to teach a stubborn person.
Yes, I agree that anger should be kept under control no matter what. Respect for others should be maintained. But, after one is seen repeating the same mistakes over and over again, even after being corrected a million times, what about those? Yes, tackling them calmly is also possible. But most people have been unable to do that. I do not blame them for it, its probably because certain newbies get onto the nerves of a specific lot of people...
On my very first day as a Committee Member, Kai-V and Valentin and Brad went to hang out. That day, I was alone on the boards - absolutely no other Moderators or CM showed up at all except for Blitz, doing his usual scanning on his mobile, and it was evident he was too busy to really moderate anything.

That day was particularly exciting - and enlightening - about the Customizations Forum. We had a new member - whose name I've forgotten and likely no longer posts here - who was ten years old. He was on what I could basically call an absolute rampage of poor combo posting and bad recommendations. I, and several other users, tried to explain things to him calmly and in a friendly manner. He ignored it. Eventually it got to the point where a stern tone had to be taken, and still, he ignored that.

By the end of the day, he had seriously insulted a very large portion of people over us trying to explain to him that his combos were not suited to the current metagame. I erased 23 of his posts that day, and he ended up having his posting priveledges suspended for a week. He came back for a bit after that and was considerably more under-control, and no longer argued or called people expletives.

I'd love to believe that this child was an exception - but he isn't. He is the standard of people who adamantly defend their bad combos, and if you are nice about it, and use friendly words like "maybe" and "try", they usually will not get the point. Managing younger members is not always doable with niceties, and in cases where younger people have an idea they're really fond of, it's actually quite difficult to dissuade them without laying down the facts like a ton of bricks.

Nice works for people who are mature and understanding individuals. For those who aren't, I prefer a stern tone that is, at best, neutral. Simply laying out what they should've done instead of posting their combo, and directing them on where to get the best information. It is my firm belief that this is the ideal way to go about things. I've dipped into the blatantly "No, get out." methodology a few times, of course - and pretty much everyone here has. It is not my preference, though, and it usually leads to an argument somewhere.

When you use words like "Perhaps try reading this:" or "Maybe incorporate the current metagame into your considerations", and so forth, the user gets the honest impression that you are saying it is okay not to do that.

It isn't.
Yes, that's probably what I meant to say, but of course, no one could have put it into words as well as you have. Smile
I have always been calm towards people around me, and when I actually got onto a more stern, and rather rude note, I realized that it might get mixed reactions... Some may understand, while others will pull you out into the crowd, and start defending their combo in public. I am pretty sure that I have been one of the highest posters in Build Me a Combo, and upon correcting a few people, I have also got many PMs, all of which asked me to "Shut Up and Mind My Own Business". Unfortunately, I did not retain any of those PMs, and hence do not have a proof to support my statements.
I think people must get a part by part description when correcting them. First we state why the MW is bad, then the CW, then the Spin track, and so on. We must ask them to reflect upon what we told them. Should the refuse, I think we must report their posts.
A few months before, mini-modding was a big issue. People used to act like moderators, and instead of simply reporting people and letting the real mods do their work, they ended up uselessly correcting the newbies by posts like- "This is wrong! I'll have this closed!"; "Stop posting or you'll be warned", etc.. This is the very reason why I think the best thing would be to report their post, and let the mods/admins take care of them. You see, the blued username does demand more respect than an italicized one or a normal one as far as the newbies are concerned...
So, instead of getting into an argument with the newbies, who technically stand on the same level as you, the best thing is to get them to a mod/admin. OK, do not warn or attach moderator notices to their posts. Try explaining it to them. Who knows, they may listen to you all quite obediently...
By the way, I remember the incident hazel was talking about, and the fact he didn't outright ban the user was astonishing, we all did try to be nice (even me iirc) and help, progressively getting more weary each time he replied with ignorance and rudeness.

This happens a lot. Maybe you're not here enough to see it happen over and over again (though usually it doesn't go on as long as there are (non trainee) mods there to put a stop to it quickly and clean up the mess).

It gets tiring, and what hazel said is correct. A number of very helpful users were originally difficult until either being warned or being spoken to sternly by another member.

Yes, sometimes we can be too harsh, threads with testing under proper testing conditions that have odd results should not be flamed or closed, at least until independent testing is done and disagrees with the unusual results (though flaming is still inappropriate). However, some threads are so poorly done, with such poor testing conditions or whatever, that they are criticised and closed. When someone posts "poison escolpio m145sf iz da best", especially in build me a combo or the customisation forum, you cannot say "maybe, but this is better". They have obviously not tested properly and that needs to be explained properly.

I've rambled but the point is, there is generally a lot that most of us don't see unless we're here enough to be in the right place at the right time.

I think Kai-v's request is an important one, by the way, we really need specific examples so we can improve or explain things.
wow the atmosphere here has greatly changed this is bad but mostly im one that handled forums for a very long time no kidding i can just mod stuff without any problems. sometimes i just blew it Uncertain(its just in my nature and how i work with forums)
well i'll just do what i do best be nice : )
I am getting tired of these imbiciles asking and complaining in the Anime part of the WBO. The threads should be locked because:

Pointless debates
Is there any need to say anything on threads about episodes but the link and description? Honestly, ask yourself the question.
(Feb. 03, 2012  7:03 PM)Jaygrazer Wrote: I am getting tired of these imbiciles asking and complaining in the Anime part of the WBO. The threads should be locked because:

Pointless debates
Is there any need to say anything on threads about episodes but the link and description? Honestly, ask yourself the question.

Yes, because people like discussing the content of episodes.

It is also rude to call them imbeciles. They may not make good posts, but that is the complete extent of judgement you can make relating to their intelligence.
(Feb. 03, 2012  7:03 PM)Jaygrazer Wrote: I am getting tired of these imbiciles asking and complaining in the Anime part of the WBO. The threads should be locked because:

Pointless debates

Yo, use the Report feature instead of insulting people here.

I took care of it. Again. If I see that happen again I'm just dropping massive warnings on everyone involved.
Obviously the WBO will decrease in terms of quality posting and such. The reason being is that at the beggining,the members were migrants from Brad's old website.And only core members from there came here to build the "base".Now with all the Promo cards and expansion of the WBO,the members are flooding in from everywhere. This is probably the first forum they have joined. Do not expect much from 10 year olds is all I'm saying. To be honest,in the last month I think at least 95% of the registrants were >15.

And,yes there are some spoiled little kids who do not understand(and refuse to do so).If they persist on making mistakes...drop the bombs.

Where have the times gone, baby its all wrong...
Way to revive a thread!!

Anyway, I agree. It seems like almost every day I see; Earth Pegasis 145 WD is an amazing combo! It beats all of my beys (just an example)! I feel like they need to "Snap bact to reality". Reality being the fact that 4D and Zero-G are dominating the meta-game, and they probably have no idea what most people are talking about. I refuse to make a combo thread until I learn about the meta-game enough to know if it is a good combo. I wish the WBO consisted of members who talked about beyblade, but they knew what they were talking about.

There should be a rule stating that you must ask an admin before you make a thread, if you are a new member (unless it is Introduce Yourself).
(Jun. 17, 2012  12:34 AM)Ginga Blader#1 Wrote: Way to revive a thread!!

It was a legitimate,on-topic post.

I didn't necro this thread with carp.

...so in my opinion,it was alright to do so.
I know, just joking...Wink Besides, it was a good post.. Let's put this behind us, okay?