Should Sniping/Gattyaki be part of the game? – WBO Staff wants your feedback!

(Oct. 05, 2020  11:58 PM)Cat-Daddy Wrote: ....just throwing this out there....have they ever "sniped/gattyaki'd" in the manga or anime?

I feel like there was one instance where some guys tried to cheat by launching late, or the time when Valt battled Rickson to train his God Reboot. Both of which would be illegal in an actual match.

The closest thing I can get to a legal snipe in the anime is episode 24, when Hoji tried to use Horusood's Claw driver to fly straight into Wyvern for a pre-emptive attack. Not really by launching late, but by launching harder and aiming for the exact spot he thought Wyvern'd be. Kinda a snipe.
(Oct. 05, 2020  11:58 PM)Cat-Daddy Wrote: ....just throwing this out there....have they ever "sniped/gattyaki'd" in the manga or anime?

His name his Arthur Percivil and he Sniped the battle of Aiger vs Delta
I think late snipe should be banned, but Hoji's snipe should be allowed
(Oct. 05, 2020  10:07 PM)Ali Baba Wrote: If some bey bounces in the stadium and falls in the other bey, it'd be illegal?

This should be legal even if sniping is banned.
I think sniping should be allowed as the risk of missing and going into the pocket would detour people from using it therefore keeping the game balanced
10 - for (me, OnlyCanBeOne, AirKingNeo, kai edits, BuilderRob, Vtryuga, Lugiamaster0249, Phantomflame, NAP, Wombat

18 - against (BreakerDs, g2_, BladerGem, CitrusNinja3, Needforspeed, Flame-Byxis, #Fafnir, Bladerbuilder, DeltaZakuro, Cat-Daddy, Valtryek Aoi, GeneriCringe, SunBlader98, ZeroYiggs, Mikuri, eigerblader, MagikHorse, FireKingArd, andowantsfood, LazerBeamz)
(Oct. 06, 2020  1:14 AM)Shindog Wrote:
(Oct. 05, 2020  10:07 PM)Ali Baba Wrote: If some bey bounces in the stadium and falls in the other bey, it'd be illegal?

This should be legal even if sniping is banned.

Yeah Operate, Quake, Power or GO Jump around and it wouldn't be right to ridicule what they do. Sniping should be seen more as "Causing interference" in someones launch. Like tripping someone before someone passes the starting line.

Edit: RoscoePColeslaw Sorry about that I didn't mean to do that!
Why did you quote my wok comment from a separate thread?

Edit: lel

In the WBBA rules it is allowed as long as the bouncing bey touches the stadium first. So a bey using Operate or Quake can still use their gimmick.
One question if I have a proposed rule change which forum should I use to discuss that?
Beyblade general right?
(Oct. 06, 2020  4:10 AM)Vtryuga Wrote: One question if I have a proposed rule change which forum should I use to discuss that?
Beyblade general right?

I think discuss World Beyblade Organization.org
I think this is just one of the strategies that makes Beyblade so deep and fun!

As long as:
1) The blader is not obstructing their opponent's launch
2) The blader is not positioned more than 20cm above the stadium
3) The blader launches within the legal widow during the "Shoot"/"Rip" call
4) The blader is not launching upwards deliberately

it should be okay.

Conversely, if you wanted to police late launches, you'd have to police early launches aiming for the center position or a safe wall position, IMO.

If the launches are safe for both players, and if the judge doesn't deem the launch as a disqualification, it should be fair game.
(Oct. 06, 2020  12:38 PM)NAP Wrote: I think this is just one of the strategies that makes Beyblade so deep and fun!

As long as:

it should be okay.

Conversely, if you wanted to police late launches, you'd have to police early launches aiming for the center position or a safe wall position, IMO.

If the launches are safe for both players, and if the judge doesn't deem the launch as a disqualification, it should be fair game.
Good points!  Early launch might be necessary to hit the opponent right near the launcher as well.

What do you mean by “disqualification”?  Do you mean someone should be penalized for a obstructive, late, early, too high, or too low launch?

Also, what is the launch window? Do you feel like that is well defined in the rulebook?  Is the window within the word rip/shoot?
Just wanted to share some of my thoughts. My position on Sniping/ Gattyaki is most aligned with NAP and superrobotking . I believe that, ultimately, how we determine the legality of Sniping/ Gattyaki is wholly dependent on how we define the Primary Play Area (PPA) and, specifically, when a match begins. 

I believe that both Bladers need to have a fair and leveled start to the playing the game. And by a "fair and leveled start", I mean launching as well as making initial contact with the PPA. If any Blader in any match does not have a fair opportunity to launch and make initial contact with the PPA, they are being robbed of the opportunity to play the game fairly. 

The easiest way for me to explain this is by making a direct comparison between Launching and Making Initial Contact with the PPA with "Serving in Tennis". If you entertain the idea that Launching+landing in the PPA is like making a valid Serve in tennis, you can also draw a direct parallel to how we could approach the PPA and Extended Play Area in regards to Sniping/Gattayaki.

[Image: _39972247_serve.gif]

Pictured above, in tennis, during a serve, the player must put the ball into the service box diagonally opposite. If they fail to do so (serves outside the service box, hits the net before hitting the service box, etc) the serve is invalidated and the round cannot begin. This ensures that both players have the same and fair opportunity to play the game.

If we approach Beyblade like tennis, then:

- Serving = Launching (Players "Serve/Launch" simultaneously)

- The Service Box = The PPA Floor,

- Serving outside the Service Box/ Hitting the net, etc = Launching into the Extended Play Area/ Pockets/ Obstructing an opponents's Launch.

[Image: _39972161_singles.gif]

Pictured above, once a valid serve is made into the service box, most of the court becomes available for play (excluding the fault lines/ boxes on each side.) If we are following this comparison, in Beyblade, this would be the equivalent of making the rest of the PPA space available (like the area above the stadium floor) for valid play once valid launches are made.

Continuing with the comparison, a legal Sniping/ Gattyaki would be the equivalent of an Ace: a legal serve where the server can strikes the ball with maximum force and takes more chances with ball placement, such as the far corners of the service box.

In tennis, the legality of an "Ace" is wholly determined by where it lands on the court. In theory, an Ace can be returned/ countered, because it is a legal serve and falls within the determined space. It is also difficult to serve an ace continuously, much like Sniping/ Gattyaki.

I propose that the WBO takes a similar approach as Tennis in how we define the play area. The full PPA does not need to be avaailable upon launching, and as mentioned by a number of us, the WBBA considers the start of the match once both Players make initial contact with the stadium floor. I see this as a way to clearly define when a match begins and not leave the match subject to ambiguity/ split second difference in launching timing.

TLDR: I am all for having Sniping/ Gattyaki in the game, but we need to define when/ how a match begins to then define parameters for a legal Sniping/ Gattyaki launch.
There has been a lot of discussion of Gattyaki being high risk, this includes the drop down snipe.  So I thought I give it a try with the videos below.  I have not practiced gattyaki so I am sure someone practiced can hit the targets even better.  In these videos I am only really looking at the risk of self KO.  Presumably, Gatyaki is commonly utilized to overcome a bad match up anyway, so failing to KO or burst the opponent for the sniper means a high chance of losing.  This failure to KO or burst I don’t think can be counted as “risk” for performing Gattyaki.  I am not interested I the risk of losing the match, just the risk of the self KO, because I believe that is what people mean when they say gattyaki is “high risk, high reward.”

I lined up my target with a pocket and made my target low to maximize my chance of self KO. These are not tests, they are just a brief look at the self KO risk of performing Gattyaki.  I don’t believe you can really test Gattyaki with one player anyway.  I am only trying to hit a target, from the air, close to the pocket, with the best gattyakis I can muster.  I do think I at least connecting with my target often enough for these videos to have some observational value. I found self KO quite uncommon when performing Gattyaki. 

Me trying to hit proof just below the pocket
https://youtu.be/WR1qd1162pQ

Me trying to hit imperial just below the pocket
https://youtu.be/TS77ZmMiVfk

At least in this context, which are not real battle conditions, the risk doesn’t seem that high.  In the proof video, the proof frame is the only thing between the sniper and the pocket.  That isn’t much mass I don’t think to get in the way of a self KO. 

Lastly, just for fun, here is me trying actively to launch it into the opposing pocket, while doing my best to observe the launching midline.  I will admit I may have violated that line at times because it was hard to get bey to the pocket.  Also, I am pretending I am trying to hit something on the way there.  I was able to hit all the way up the to the tornado ridge a few times, into the pocket a few times, and over the stadium a few times. These occurance were not common at all.  

These are things we can all try by ourselves for fun and some perspective.  I thinks with some practice I can hit the pocket at a higher frequency of course.  This is something I have never practiced.

Me trying to snipe the pocket 
 https://youtu.be/aYCZ8JzADiY

Is gattyaki really “high risk, high reward?”
Or just “low to moderate risk, low to moderate chance of reward?”

Of course, results presumably will change with different stadiums and beys.
Another thing I wanted to state:let’s say some one had a soloman chip and they brought it to a tournament and he faced some one using this technique,then the soloman chip might be destroyed.My point being,rare parts could get destroyed
(Oct. 07, 2020  1:58 AM)Bladerbuilder Wrote: Another thing I wanted to state:let’s say some one had a soloman chip and they brought it to a tournament and he faced some one using this technique,then the soloman chip might be destroyed.My point being,rare parts could get destroyed

Maybe not destroyed, but definitely scratched. But rare or not, I would not risk anyones parts getting damaged period.
Since Staff Members are allowed to voice our opinions here, I figured I should probably weigh in.

First of all I will say that I am 100% pro-sniping, and would prefer not to see it restricted by the rules any more than it currently is. I first learned the term "Gattyaki" from one of the old WBO rulebooks back when I joined in 2012, though I had been familiar with sniping before that. Sniping had always existed in every environment I had ever played Beyblade in and  no one had ever really opposed it, or called out anyone who did it. Gattyaki is not unsportsmanlike, it is a completely valid tactic that's essentially just another launch technique, no different from a Sliding Shoot or a Weak Launch.

So to me, the idea that sniping could be seen as an unfair or unsportsmanlike tactic seems as foreign as the idea that a Beyblade could win a match from in the pocket. So I'm getting like Mandela-effect whiplash seeing that it's such a popular point of view, haha.

(Oct. 04, 2020  3:14 PM)Vtryuga Wrote:
(Oct. 04, 2020  3:07 PM)Shindog Wrote: Gattyaki is currently allowed. #7 in the OP covers this to some degree.  Currently, the WBO start of the battle it when the beys leave the launcher vs WBBA when both beys have touched the stadium floor.

One of an alternative way to achieve gattyaki like results would be to launch early and into your opponents launching spot to create a
midair collision.  It is very hard to tell if a bey has fully left a launcher.

There you have answered the question dont you think? If it is allowed and no one has abused it yet i dont really see the point in making any rule. Making the rule would then highlight this issue more which could lead to some arguments as now both players are aware of this new rule.

Also I would suggest letting the status quo be and just make the sniping shoot something like unsportsmanlike.

For example in the game of Cricket there is one way of getting a batsman out which is legal but is considered extremely unsportsmanlike and is hence extremely rarely executed as it is frowned upon by all.

That is why I would suggest letting the status quo be.

I kind of agree with the sentiment of this statement, though I think the discrepancy is what is exactly "the status quo". Gattyaki has been legal under WBO rules at least as long as I've been in the community. I've been to many tournaments over the years with players that have used the technique, and there are several threads where players mention using it during tournaments as well. I've sniped opponents a few times, and I've been sniped several times as well. And I can honestly say I've never heard ill spoken of it by anyone until very recently. For me, that is the status quo.

Gattyaki's usage is not so low because it is a frowned upon technique, but rather because the conditions under which you would use it are rare, and it's quite difficult to pull off, which ties into this next point:
(Oct. 06, 2020  9:14 PM)Shindog Wrote: There has been a lot of discussion of Gattyaki being high risk, this includes the drop down snipe.  So I thought I give it a try with the videos below.  I have not practiced gattyaki so I am sure someone practiced can hit the targets even better.  In these videos I am only really looking at the risk of self KO.  Presumably, Gatyaki is commonly utilized to overcome a bad match up anyway, so failing to KO or burst the opponent for the sniper means a high chance of losing.  This failure to KO or burst I don’t think can be counted as “risk” for performing Gattyaki.  I am not interested I the risk of losing the match, just the risk of the self KO, because I believe that is what people mean when they say gattyaki is “high risk, high reward.”

It gattyaki really “high risk, high reward?”
Or just “low to moderate risk, low to moderate chance of reward?”

Of course, results presumably will change with different stadiums and beys.

This is a very interesting take, and the more I think about it, the more I realize that it's correct. Actually, “low risk, low chance of low to moderate reward” is an accurate assessment imo, as your only added "risk" is a contact-self-KO since you're pretty much guaranteed to give up at least 1 point in that round if you fail, while the "low to moderate reward" is the 1 or 2 points you would gain on the "low chance" you were successful.

I really do think that one of the techniques that people who oppose Gattyaki use is to overexaggerate how prevalent it really is, like they make it sound like people will be trying to Gattyaki each other left and right, or Gattyaki and opponent that's trying to Gattyaki them like they're playing Counter Strike or something. But the truth is that most people only attempt to snipe their opponent when they know that there is no other way for them to win the battle.

I remember discussing a possible rule that would give the opponent of a failed Gattyaki an ambiguous point, because once a Gattyaki has failed, the user will generally lose the match anyways, though it could also be interpreted as a penalty. Though I think ultimately we decided against this since it cuts the natural flow of battle short, which was a complaint people had with the wall-bounce rule that domino-effected into this whole fiasco.

(Oct. 04, 2020  9:38 PM)Shindog Wrote: Another thing to consider:

This is how the rulebook currently reads:

“A round begins with the call of “3–2–1 Go Shoot!”

Both bladers must simultaneously launch their Beyblades as the word “shoot” is called.”

IF we take it at face value, “must simultaneous....” and a player gets sniped, is it not more than likely that one person launched too early and/or the other launched too late?
So given a snipe occurrs, what should the judge generally rule given our current rules?  Especially when it is difficult for them to see everything.

This all depends on which part of the sentence you evaluate first. if you evaluate 'simultaneously' first, it would mean that simultaneously refers to the period of time during which "shoot" is being called, but if you evaluate the 'as the word "shoot" is called' first, it would mean that simultaneously refers to an instance within the period during which "shoot" is being called. I'm not trying to be a rules lawyer by bringing this up - I actually think this could just be a difference of interpretation that varies from person to person given the current wording of the rules.

The Gattyaki rule elaborates on the 'period during which "shoot" is being called', and confirms that it is a series of instances during which any launch that happens is legal (at least timing wise), that your launch can happen 'early' or 'late' within this period, and still be considered legal. With this context (which was later removed from the rulebooks, along with a brief description of the BP System, when we moved to Google Docs in 2017), it definitely implies the first interpretation, but without it, people could definitely see it the second way.

(Oct. 05, 2020  9:29 PM)FireKingArd Wrote: Just throwing in my opinion for solidarity, but I agree with Shindog.

I'm not a huge fan of gattiyaki personally, at all. But I do think defaulting to calling a relaunch when a judge feels like one person launched late either intentionally or unintentionally is probably the best way to go.

Otherwise I can't really think of a good rule that can truly prevent gattiyaki from happening.

As I mentioned before, I think that if a launch occurs within the legal window, it should be legal (time wise) regardless of when it occurred within that window or intention. I strongly believe that reshoots should always be voluntary, and the judge should not ever be able to force either player to reshoot. Basically I am in agreement with this:
(Oct. 06, 2020  12:38 PM)NAP Wrote: I think this is just one of the strategies that makes Beyblade so deep and fun!

As long as:

it should be okay.

As I don't view Gattyaki as cheating or underhanded, if someone wants to attempt it, as long as they stay within the reasonable rules for a legal launch I don't see why they should not be able to. Conversely, it seems less sportsmanlike to ruleshark players out of points for minor infractions of these rules (like going 1cm over the middle of the stadium or something), even if it is a part of an intentional Gattyaki. It just comes off to me as "Ew, you're trying to win?"

(Oct. 05, 2020  8:14 AM)eigerblade Wrote: [Gattyaki] feels like its not in spirit of the game, where building decks and picking combos for certain matchups should give you the advantage.
Gattyaki is a method people may resort to when they know have no chance of winning, which in my opinion feels scummy.

If I were to compare it to a Trading Card Game, your deck should have enough preparation against other archetypes in the metagame, and if there is an unfavorable matchup, you should have several cards ready in the sideboard / side deck to counter it. If your deck meets an unfavorable matchup and you do not have an answer prepared, your loss is on you. In an extreme example in this TCG comparison, gattyaki is like sucker punching your opponent to knock him out and make you win before even playing against his deck. Sure, it takes skill and training to do, and it technically gives anyone a chance to win even against the best player, but that skill is something I consider not part of the game at all.

It's very interesting to hear the argument that Gattyaki "isn't in the spirit of the game", and I've definitely heard similar sentiments about how it's scummy because it "allows you to win the game without playing it", while you defend things like building decks and picking combos for certain matchups.

Many of the revolutionary rule changes in the past (There's one I remember that's a much better example of the point I'm trying to make, but I can't find it yet, so here have Double Blind for now) have had the opposite kind of thought process behind them, where metagaming tactics like building combos for certain matchups and reading/counterpicking opponents were not seen as part of the "game" of Beyblade.

This kind of brings up the debate of a question that's a bit of a meme that's been on my mind lately - does a Beyblade tournament measure one's Beyblading ability? Or one's ability to succeed in a Beyblade tournament? Should it? There's a group of people who believe that the aforementioned 'soft skills' that can help players succeed in a tournament are not in the "spirit of the game" as they are not strictly Beyblade 'hard skills'. If I correctly read my opponent and counterpick them into an unwinnable matchup, is that not also a way to "win the game without playing it"? Compared to something like this, Gattyaki is undoubtably a 'Beyblade skill' and therefore much more 'in the spirit of the game' than any metagaming tactic.

Gattyaki is also very much in the competitive spirit of the game as well. If you do find yourself counterpicked into an unwinnable matchup, Gattyaki becomes the META - the Most Effective Tactic Available - as it is now your best chance of victory (though it is a small one). If you are aware of the Gattyaki technique during the matchup, know that it is your only reasonable chance to win, and then choose not to attempt it, you are throwing the match, as you are intentionally playing worse to your opponent's benefit, which is something that's prohibited by rules in the Organizer's Guide.

EDIT: Found it. Holy carp I really went down the litchrature rabbit hole but check out these interesting posts/threads that give context to what I'm trying to say here:
https://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-New-For...pid1327647
https://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-WBO-Org...pid1365175
https://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Beyblad...pid1294628

(Oct. 06, 2020  12:03 AM)Valtryek Aoi Wrote:

I feel like there was one instance where some guys tried to cheat by launching late, or the time when Valt battled Rickson to train his God Reboot. Both of which would be illegal in an actual match.

The closest thing I can get to a legal snipe in the anime is episode 24, when Hoji tried to use Horusood's Claw driver to fly straight into Wyvern for a pre-emptive attack. Not really by launching late, but by launching harder and aiming for the exact spot he thought Wyvern'd be. Kinda a snipe.

IIRC, his strategy was to actually land on top of Wyvern and use the Upper disk to 1-hit Burst it, but it's also been probably 4 years since I've seen the anime so I may be mistaken. I think there's also a sequence where Kensuuke tries to bounce Kerbeus off the ground so L2 will Burst on its Disk, so while not technically Gattyaki, it (and the whole Bullet Driver...) refute that one point about the only intended point of contact being the Layer.

Also, speaking of Disk to Layer contact, I'd like to see some proof that Gattyaki actually damages Beyblades. For the most part, it's just been an unsubstantiated talking point from people who oppose it, and I think there's been as much recorded instances of Gattyaki damaging a Beyblade during a tournament as Rage 3A or Archer Hercules (so, none at all, though there was some concern raised during testing).

TL;DR: Gattyaki is a valid and acceptable, yet niche tactic and should be a part of the game. I would be strongly opposed to an outright ban on it, though both its use cases and success rate are low enough that I don't think it would be terribly missed if the Play Area rules were altered to indirectly disincentivize it.
I also don’t think disk to layer contact is likely to damage beyblades during Gattyaki.  I do know that driver, specifically Charge Metal, to layer contact will damage the layer it lands on.  What I have shown in my video of the damage Cm can cause I have repeated a few times  just to be sure.  It will happen. It isn’t a lot of damage and sometimes it really looks just like chipped paint,  but sometimes small chucks of plastic will be removed by Cm. Cm is shaped like a hole punch after all and some visible “damage” will happen every  time.

Here is what I am talking about:
https://youtu.be/7lePUHDUiXE

While I support the idea of landing on the stadium surface as the starting point of the battle, I do not think we can stop this type of damage cause by Cm completely unless we ban Cm.  Also beyblades are so heavy now that other metal tips might be able to do this.  We can’t completely stop drivers from landing on layers, and  I do believe damage is part of the game.  I guess the argument here  is should we disincentivize this.  To be clear, I don’t want to see Cm banned personally.  I find this to be an acceptable level of damage.  If Gattyaki is going to be disincentivized, damage is not the reason for me personally.

But yes, as you saw in the video I used Solomon chip to drop on a Valkerie chip and not the other way around 😅
I think it should be allowed. If someone can use a skill / technique to win or out match a better combination it makes the sport more of a challenge and also exciting.
Well dont you think it is already disincentivised?  I mean the luck factor plays a huge role and Wombat has already put up a lot of valid points. I believe it  makes it more interesting  as battles are a bit unpredictable .

Regarding damage as i dont have enough Sparking beys I cannot say for a fact that driver to layer contact can cause damage but at least in GT system  there hasnt been any noticeable damage apart from once the paint getting chipped.

Again I would like to stress  that the probability of successfully carrying out Gattyaki is extremely low; so it is already disincentivised.  The only people who can use it  are the people who know they have got a bad combo and are willing to risk it.

As long as the existing rules about launching are not broken I firmly believe that Gattyaki should be part of the game.
(Oct. 07, 2020  4:09 PM)Vtryuga Wrote: Well dont you think it is already disincentivised?  I mean the luck factor plays a huge role and Wombat has already put up a lot of valid points. I believe it  makes it more interesting  as battles are a bit unpredictable .

Regarding damage as i dont have enough Sparking beys I cannot say for a fact that driver to layer contact can cause damage but at least in GT system  there hasnt been any noticeable damage apart from once the paint getting chipped.

Again I would like to stress  that the probability of successfully carrying out Gattyaki is extremely low; so it is already disincentivised.  The only people who can use it  are the people who know they have got a bad combo and are willing to risk it.

As long as the existing rules about launching are not broken I firmly believe that Gattyaki should be part of the game.
I think I showed in 3 videos that Gattyaki is actually very low risk to perform.  Wombat also pointed out that losing is likely if you don’t try it in given bad match ups?  How is it disincentivized?  If you don’t do it, you are highly likely to lose.  If you do it the chance of self KO is very low.  What disincentivize the practice in your opinion?
i think sniping is good. if you have enough skill to pull it off perfectly, then ur prob gonna win either way. sniping also has lots of risk bcause of pockets and counters. my hazard kerbeus k4 has bursted every Hasbro(and some tt) bey that has attempted sniping on it, never seen it lose when sniped at, can counter snipes like no tomorrow. about the damage thing, maybe no metal divers? idk, sniping is awesome, and i think the wbo should let ppl who are skilled enough to do it, do it.
I would like to point out this as stated in the OP:

“Note: Upon further investigation, this definition is not entirely accurate historically (regarding Gattyaki).

The goal of Gattyaki is not to land on top of your opponent, but to get a one-hit KO with the momentum of your shot. “

Landing on the stadium floor and gliding across to hit your opponent is still very skillful, is it not?  Perhaps even more skillfully?   And this would still be perfectly legal even if both beys have to touch the stadium surface first.  Gattyaki will still be here either way.
(Oct. 07, 2020  4:18 PM)Shindog Wrote:
(Oct. 07, 2020  4:09 PM)Vtryuga Wrote: Well dont you think it is already disincentivised?  I mean the luck factor plays a huge role and Wombat has already put up a lot of valid points. I believe it  makes it more interesting  as battles are a bit unpredictable .

I think I showed in 3 videos that Gattyaki is actually very low risk to perform.  Wombat also pointed out that losing is likely if you don’t try it in given bad match ups?  How is it disincentivized?  If you don’t do it, you are highly likely to lose.  If you do it the chance of self KO is very low.  What disincentivize the practice in your opinion?

Having seen the videos you have posted , I will have to point out that these do not replicate match situations.

While it is probably possible that the bey won't self Ko, I will have to point out that the bey does loose a lot of stamina; and on a bad combo that means the situation is even worse.

Also the damage test is assuming that the bey has already touched the ground and is spinning when the other bey is launched on top of that, which is untrue.

If that were the case then using physics it can be shown that the launcher had to be directly above the other one or that the lauch was super late both of which are illegal. 

In reality a successful Gattyaki just involves disk to layer contact. 

Note im assuming all the current regulations to be followed.

(Oct. 07, 2020  4:33 PM)Shindog Wrote: I would like to point out this as stated in the OP:

“Note: Upon further investigation, this definition is not entirely accurate historically (regarding Gattyaki).

The goal of Gattyaki is not to land on top of your opponent, but to get a one-hit KO with the momentum of your shot. “

Landing on the stadium floor and gliding across to hit your opponent is still very skillful, is it not.  Perhaps even more skillfully.  And this would still be perfectly legal even if both beys have to touch the stadium surface first.  Gattyaki will still be here either way.

well if you take the definition to be this way then it does become a bit difficult to judge; dont you think? There will be extremely cose calls which can be tough to judge.  

I am just putting this perspective too. 

Also wasn't the point of this thread to discuss about the legality of Gattyaki? If we change the definition then also we won't be answering the crux of the question