Pokémon Discussion Thread [Random Thoughts]

I think I'd have to say SM is my favorite set so far. I haven't played much with USUM because my friend's been really busy. (We play together at the same time.) USUM will take over the spot.

Red was my first. Lots of good memories. I like going back and playing with the glitches once in a while.

(Jun. 24, 2018  2:36 PM)ThePheonix Wrote: Pokémon White was the first game that I every played but my favourite is the sequel. Also, I don’t know why Gen5 gets so much hate...

I thought Gen 5 was pretty cool, though there was definitely an issue in BW with level scaling for me. After the Elite Four, everything just shot up. In some ways it was cool, but in otherwise, it just felt...overly difficult.

Also, I think part of it is that it tried to mimic first gen rather closely. I liked the throwback memories, but at the same time....

Still, I would put it over DPPt. I just was bummed that I couldn't go back and finish W2 because Y came out and I was just too darn spoiled by the experience share.
(Jun. 24, 2018  3:58 PM)Frostic Fox Wrote:
(Jun. 24, 2018  2:36 PM)ThePheonix Wrote: Pokémon White was the first game that I every played but my favourite is the sequel. Also, I don’t know why Gen5 gets so much hate...

I thought Gen 5 was pretty cool, though there was definitely an issue in BW with level scaling for me. After the Elite Four, everything just shot up. In some ways it was cool, but in otherwise, it just felt...overly difficult.
That's why I love it. It makes me engrossed into the game...
Generation 5 didn't had any of Pokemon from previous gen, that's why it was hated. It sure was an revolution.
This is BEYBLADE website NOT a pokemon website.
(Jun. 25, 2018  3:00 AM)Blazer999 Wrote: This is BEYBLADE website NOT a pokemon website.

Well this thread has not been closed yet so it is probably allowed
I really liked the whole dreamworld setup for BW. That was pretty cool! I liked being able to play with a Pokémon of my choice online for extra stuff.

(Jun. 25, 2018  3:00 AM)Blazer999 Wrote: This is  BEYBLADE website NOT a pokemon website.

The section at the bottom of the forum homepage allows people to discuss non-Beyblade topics. We are free to discuss Pokémon, so long as it is in the appropriate place.

See:

[Image: NgrZFbv.png]
(Jun. 25, 2018  3:00 AM)Blazer999 Wrote: This is  BEYBLADE website NOT a pokemon website.
This thread comes under General Discussion. If you read it's description on the main index, 'dinosaurs' is one of the things. The website is related to beyblade but offers a freedom to bladers who are into other hobbies or animes to share their views regarding them too. So yeah, this thread is allowed.

Here's some 'Let's Go' Gameplay that's not mine... Also, there are leaks that when you go to Brock's gym (yeah, it's kinda another Gen 1 remake...) there are audiences. And what I kinda hate is that you can 'SEE' the Pokémon in the grass instead of obliviously bumping into one... That's good and bad in its own ways...

Also, one of my cousins has the Switch and Pokémon Quest... The game itself is really good. It kinda feels like Minecraft though... I don't know what to make of that...
I think the only thing that seems iffy to me is that you don't get to weaken Pokémon for capture. I didn't sit and watch how the 2-player aspect played out, but I hope it works as making everything a double battle, not just a 2-vs-1 dealio. Can't be helped if the trainer only has 1 Pokémon or whatever, but if they have more.

But I think it'll be OK. I'm 100% fine with it being Gen 1. I want to share this with my friends who never played the Pokémon versions, so now I'll get to share this experience with them. They're really excited for this!
(Jun. 26, 2018  1:38 PM)Frostic Fox Wrote: I think the only thing that seems iffy to me is that you don't get to weaken Pokémon for capture. I didn't sit and watch how the 2-player aspect played out, but I hope it works as making everything a double battle, not just a 2-vs-1 dealio. Can't be helped if the trainer only has 1 Pokémon or whatever, but if they have more.

But I think it'll be OK. I'm 100% fine with it being Gen 1. I want to share this with my friends who never played the Pokémon versions, so now I'll get to share this experience with them. They're really excited for this!

I’m a bit annoyed that you throw the pokeball at the Pokemon. 

Pokémon go should stay on the phones tbh. on the consoles, we expect to weaken a Pokemon with moves, and then catch it.

I was hoping for a gen 1 remake, but this is kinda disappointing ?
(Jun. 26, 2018  1:43 PM)leosama Wrote: I’m a bit annoyed that you throw the pokeball at the Pokemon. 

Pokémon go should stay on the phones tbh. on the consoles, we expect to weaken a Pokemon with moves, and then catch it.

I was hoping for a gen 1 remake, but this is kinda disappointing ?

It's a nice hook to get people who play Go to get interested in the core series games. Decent strategy. I'm cool with it.

I don't want to see the catching mechanic actually carry over to the core series games though. I could deal if you could still weaken the Pokémon, but if not.....

But LGP and LGE let Game Freak practice making core-ish-like games on the Switch before making the real-deal. As I said before, I felt Diamond and Pearl (and in turn, Platinum) seemed to not take as much advantage of the DS's features or be as well meshed with it, being essentially a GBA game slapped on there with some touch. But HGSS and on were much better, so I think Game Freak just needed to get the feel for the new system, which is fair.
I really feel like the Pokémon games are getting too easy to be able to get new players and make them interested... This catching mechanic would certainly make me avoid the game...

But I think that this mechanic would not appear in the main series games just because as @[Frostic Fox] said, they were just experimenting with the new hardware and the feedback due to the new way that things work... Now that they know that many people are not too cool with this mechanic, they're gonna do something about it to make people buy it and enjoy it and recommend to other people who enjoy it and the cycle goes...
my first pokemon game played was pokemon Y Im not going to get Pokemon lets go eevee/pikachu becuase it only has gen one pokemon if it had all gens i would consider but im not paying 60 bucks for a pokemon go game on switch lol waiting for gen 8/gen 4 remakes in 2019
(Jun. 26, 2018  5:04 PM)ThePheonix Wrote: I really feel like the Pokémon games are getting too easy to be able to get new players and make them interested... This catching mechanic would certainly make me avoid the game...
Depends for me. If I can still weaken Pokémon and this will actually increase chances beyond the original catchrate....I might be fine with it, haha.

I don't mind if they simplify the game for new players. I love how grinding has been cut down. You progress through the game, you get about right where you need to be. Grinding was just an artificial way to increase the "worth" of a game, stemming from back in the old system days. They could only put so much content, so they made the games really hard and take a lot of time by grinding and the like.

I only have so many hours in the day, and so getting actual content rather than grindfests is a plus. And being able to disable things like the experience share and adjusting other aspects can let other people adjust the gameplay as they see fit (increase difficulty, etc.).

The real challenges have more to do with building good teams and strategies for battles outside of the main story, like the Battle Tower or whatever equivalent the series offers.

(Jun. 26, 2018  5:04 PM)ThePheonix Wrote: But I think that this mechanic would not appear in the main series games just because as @[Frostic Fox] said, they were just experimenting with the new hardware and the feedback due to the new way that things work... Now that they know that many people are not too cool with this mechanic, they're gonna do something about it to make people buy it and enjoy it and recommend to other people who enjoy it and the cycle goes...

I think this is more about getting Go players in, who are mostly not familiar with the core series and would otherwise never play them. But it also lets them get used to the system, so dealing with familiar territory (how more can you get than Gen 1?) makes it a great place to practice for the Switch on top of that.
(Jun. 26, 2018  5:55 PM)Frostic Fox Wrote:
(Jun. 26, 2018  5:04 PM)ThePheonix Wrote: But I think that this mechanic would not appear in the main series games just because as @[Frostic Fox] said, they were just experimenting with the new hardware and the feedback due to the new way that things work... Now that they know that many people are not too cool with this mechanic, they're gonna do something about it to make people buy it and enjoy it and recommend to other people who enjoy it and the cycle goes...

I think this is more about getting Go players in, who are mostly not familiar with the core series and would otherwise never play them. But it also lets them get used to the system, so dealing with familiar territory (how more can you get than Gen 1?) makes it a great place to practice for the Switch on top of that.

But PGo is now dying and there are way fewer players than before... And most people that I know left because they didn't really get along with the way you catch a pokemon...

Frostic Fox Wrote:I don't mind if they simplify the game for new players. I love how grinding has been cut down. You progress through the game, you get about right where you need to be. Grinding was just an artificial way to increase the "worth" of a game, stemming from back in the old system days. They could only put so much content, so they made the games really hard and take a lot of time by grinding and the like.

Actually grinding can be annoying but I like to go on mini adventures while training to make it fun and enjoyable for me and good for leveling up the team... I also try to fill the Pokédex in that time... It can be fun if you want it to be...
(Jun. 27, 2018  7:04 AM)ThePheonix Wrote:
(Jun. 26, 2018  5:55 PM)Frostic Fox Wrote: I think this is more about getting Go players in, who are mostly not familiar with the core series and would otherwise never play them. But it also lets them get used to the system, so dealing with familiar territory (how more can you get than Gen 1?) makes it a great place to practice for the Switch on top of that.

But PGo is now dying and there are way fewer players than before... And most people that I know left because they didn't really get along with the way you catch a pokemon...

Frostic Fox Wrote:I don't mind if they simplify the game for new players. I love how grinding has been cut down. You progress through the game, you get about right where you need to be. Grinding was just an artificial way to increase the "worth" of a game, stemming from back in the old system days. They could only put so much content, so they made the games really hard and take a lot of time by grinding and the like.

Actually grinding can be annoying but I like to go on mini adventures while training to make it fun and enjoyable for me and good for leveling up the team... I also try to fill the Pokédex in that time... It can be fun if you want it to be...
Umm. Well, Pokemon Go isn't dead.. Yes, it has lost much of it's users. But, I still play Go, it is interesting and with the latest update you can add friends.
My opinion for Go from starting was that Nintendo was not making this game for profit(well yeah, some amount of it), it made it to get the couch potato people who were addicted to their phones to do some physical work, this is not an offense but just reality, people like this are also there in the world. Well, it worked! But just for a while.
I didn't expect for Go to stay for all of the humanity, I knew this fever will only last for some time. Go's hype and peaking was impresive, but it's decline was significant too, it lost 1/4th of it's players in 7 days.
But like no other Pokémon game, Go makes us do physical activity. 
That's the reason I like it. I can't say it's the Best, but it has it's own pros and cons and is one of the best in it's field. Of apps for physical activity for kids. 
But it's just that other games are better. 
I recently started playing Sun and Moon and I am not liking it much, I still prefer Ruby and Sapphire or Red and Black.
But we all have different opinions.
Ahhh, you are forgetting WII and Wii u games, you needed to move your hands for that
(Jun. 27, 2018  11:20 AM)Adarsh Abhinav Wrote: Ahhh, you are forgetting WII and Wii u games, you needed to move your hands for that
When I say 'Physical activity', I mean getting up walking and even running. This is what Go wanted us to do. But people found that using buses and cars gets you more Pokémon. Well, the game just got fooled. xD. But as said, it's not the Best, and I don't want to lable it to be, but it's a pretty nice game and is just not dead.
(Jun. 27, 2018  11:28 AM)Suhasini Wrote:
(Jun. 27, 2018  11:20 AM)Adarsh Abhinav Wrote: Ahhh, you are forgetting WII and Wii u games, you needed to move your hands for that
When I say 'Physical activity', I mean getting up walking and even running. This is what Go wanted us to do. But people found that using buses and cars gets you more Pokémon. Well, the game just got fooled. xD. But as said, it's not the Best, and I don't want to lable it to be, but it's a pretty nice game and is just not dead.

By ‘dying’ I mean losing players... Never said it’s dead and not common. It’s just not as common as it used to be...
First, Nintendo didn't make Go, Niantic did. Niantic got the rights to do it, and Game Freak gave them the assets.

This was, "Hey, this American company thinks it can get us some money with our precious IP. Sounds good!" And it ended up working out rather well.

(Jun. 27, 2018  7:04 AM)ThePheonix Wrote: But PGo is now dying and there are way fewer players than before... And most people that I know left because they didn't really get along with the way you catch a pokemon...

You think Pokémon Go is "dying" because it has fewer players than it did originally? Bahahahaha! No?

Have you ever seen a Community Day? There's so many people! If Pokémon Go is dying, then Beyblade has long been pushing up daisies and we should give up trying to do anything because it is so dead. (But no, that's not the case.)

Pokémon Go wasn't aimed at the people who play the core series games. It was meant for people who like the idea of Pokémon but have no interest in the core series or many Pokémon-related games. Or just anyone who wants the kind of gameplay it offers. It's targeting a different audience, which may or may not include already game-playing fans.

I haven't seen Pokémon so immensely popular since it originally came out when I was a kid. Even old people get involved in this, which I was surprised. But it lets so many people connect and do things together, in a way the core series just never could.

Any "fad" gets a whole bunch of people in it at first because everyone's doing it, and then it lessens over time. Even if it's not a fad, a similar thing happens. But it doesn't mean the thing in quesiton is "dying", it's just losing the people who aren't nearly as interested or dedicated as the rest.

Pokémon Go is not aimed at the core series fan. It's aimed a bit more at what you might call "casuals". I think the only thing that would make a dent in it in the near future is the upcoming Harry Potter equivalent that Niantic is making, as it will be a similar formula with another popular IP.

Edit: I see you cleared up your meaning in the previous post. I had to run when I posted this so I didn't see it.

(Jun. 27, 2018  7:04 AM)ThePheonix Wrote: Actually grinding can be annoying but I like to go on mini adventures while training to make it fun and enjoyable for me and good for leveling up the team... I also try to fill the Pokédex in that time... It can be fun if you want it to be...

Everyone has different tastes. I don't have the time to sit and fight wild Pokémon for 3+ hours to train them up for a story roadblock like I did when I was a kid. I have to make sure I pay bills and keep food in my belly. I have taxes and other grown-up things that I didn't have to deal with or worry about as a kid.

I always hated grinding. It works for me for a little bit, but then it bores me out of my mind and I am just forcing myself. Traditional EV training was the worst, even when I had free time as a kid. It is a far better game design if you are met with obstacles that level up your Pokémon team naturally along the way to the next big challenge, and then making ways for people to increase the difficulty or whatever if they want a slower run.
(Jun. 27, 2018  1:10 PM)Frostic Fox Wrote: First, Nintendo didn't make Go, Niantic did. Niantic got the rights to do it, and Game Freak gave them the assets.

Pokémon Go is not aimed at the core series fan. It's aimed a bit more at what you might call "casuals". I think the only thing that would make a dent in it in the near future is the upcoming Harry Potter equivalent that Niantic is making, as it will be a similar formula with another popular IP.
Oh Okay, my bad. Sorry. And thanks for correcting me! And secondly, I agree with your point that Go wasn't made for core series fan. It was just an effort to introduce the game to those who didn't know about it in a fun way.
Ah, ThePheonix posted before I did. I was running out the door after that one, so I didn't see it.

(Jun. 27, 2018  1:22 PM)Suhasini Wrote: Oh Okay, my bad. Sorry. And thanks for correcting me! And secondly, I agree with your point that Go wasn't made for core series fan. It was just an effort to introduce the game to those who didn't know about it in a fun way.

No worries, just making sure we all know what's what. :)

Niantic already had a game called Ingress, and if you give it a try, it's rather similar to Pokémon Go. (Not exactly, but more than any other game.) Ingress built the foundation. It's a more complex game than Go is though.

The idea of being able to catch Pokémon in real life...what fan hasn't imagined that? Being able to take Ingress's augmented reality ideas and merge it with Pokémon is a really interesting idea. And so many people have smartphones. But if you're targeting smartphones, you're targetting a different make-up of people than those who buy consoles. Niantic went for something more simplistic, rather different from its more complex Ingress game, but they likely wanted to hit far more people.

That's what I think is interesting about LGP and LGE. Game Freak is kind of making its own take, merging the concepts of Go with the core series. It will be far more polished than what Niantic does, and it may better draw people into the core series of games who might otherwise ignore it. Plus, it seems like a way for those who are physically unable to really be involved with Go (like those with injuries or health conditions) to find a way to be, since things can be transferred.
(Jun. 24, 2018  1:19 PM)ThePheonix Wrote: Hey quick question, for those who have played Pokémon games, which of them is your favourite? Mine would definitely be Pokémon Black 2...

I love the gen 3 remakes they are my favorite games
Has anybody played Pokemon Duel ?
(Jun. 27, 2018  4:34 PM)GOD CHIPS Wrote: Has anybody played Pokemon Duel ?
For sure