Pokémon

so i bought this gaem with a gameboy color yesterday. ever here about it? it;s realy fun and i got the blue version. red is totally a carp.
*is in two D/P tournaments right now* I'm a competitor when it comes to this game. 97-25 battle record (in Pearl alone), accepting any challenges as long as no legends, ubers, or hacked Pokemon are used.
I kind of just play for fun. I don't understand how to do EV training.

Also, anyone willing to trade over a Bulbasaur via WiFi? My friend code is 4467 7464 3263.
EVs totally ruin what makes Pokémon fun.
i'll trad you some pokemans with you toto???!?

i gots lots of rare straters. tomarraw @ 2pm be their ore be square

Btw, screw EVs. I tried getting into them but it's just not worth it.
EV's are annoying but they make a ridiculous difference. The community should embrace EV hacking. Who really cares as long as you're not making Pokemon or illegal moves?
ya i never got EV's either. but once i start on a team ill see what i can do about wrapping my mind around it
Toto>Kei 2-0

Darn you Zangetsu!
I got into the EV scene hardcore with Diamond but there's so much work for so little pay off and it honestly made the game feel more like work than fun for me.

So I stopped EV training. lol
Tamer Brad Wrote:EV's are annoying but they make a ridiculous difference. The community should embrace EV hacking. Who really cares as long as you're not making Pokemon or illegal moves?
But I believe that it makes the game less fun for kids. Did you read that Penny Arcade article in which Gabe went to a tournament at Gamestop? http://www.penny-arcade.com/news/show/22209

Sure, there's a venue in which using EV trained Pokemon is fine--perhaps when it's a tournament with a 13+ division or something. But those types of events only occur in New York's world tournaments. An older kid simply trouncing over younger kids in a tournament could lead to a disinterest in Pokemon due to older players dominating the tournaments.

When I was eight, I got my first Pokemon game and gameboy, and I was addicted. I wouldn't have cared about EVs--I used Butterfree because I thought he was really cool. I didn't want my Totodile to evolve into Feraligator, so I raised him to level 100 without evolving him. Pokemon is all about having fun and making friends, but EV training makes it seem like the game is more about winning.

And yes, Zangetsu is a tank!
EV training can add up to 64 points per stat, which makes quite a difference. Through repeated routine, I've simplified breeding and EVing down to a few hours from scratch per Pokemon, so it's not any bother for me to train up tournament-level Pokemon. I've been through at least five other EV'd teams before I trained the one I use now.

This is how I enjoy the game; training elite teams and winning. If kids aren't smart, resourceful, and dedicated (not lazy) enough to do the same, it's their loss. Like any other multiplayer battling game, this is competition.
Ichida Wrote:EV training can add up to 64 points per stat, which makes quite a difference. Through repeated routine, I've simplified breeding and EVing down to a few hours from scratch per Pokemon, so it's not any bother for me to train up tournament-level Pokemon. I've been through at least five other EV'd teams before I trained the one I use now.

This is how I enjoy the game; training elite teams and winning. If kids aren't smart, resourceful, and dedicated (not lazy) enough to do the same, it's their loss. Like any other multiplayer battling game, this is competition.
That's ridiculous. Even if it's smart or resourceful or whatever, what nine-year-old is possibly going to want to do that? Sure, it's competition, but it ruins a ton of the spirit from the game if the only thing players are going to do is make their Pokemon practically indestructible.
Well, their loss. They should stick to little leagues and leave the real tournament to the competitors.
Ichida Wrote:Well, their loss. They should stick to little leagues and leave the real tournament to the competitors.

REPORTED:

reason:

BEING FREAKING CRAZY
I'm always up for a battle over D/P or PBR if you care to settle things that way.
ichida, i hold no ill feelings towards you. you're a cool dude, depsite being a tad otakuish.

but come the carp on. this is a game for little kids. you are NOT the target audience, and you're saying it's their fault.

wow
So? I know lots of people older than me who play. Hell, I even read about some 40-year old who dominates Pokemon TCG tournies. Not that I like the Pokemon TCG. Crappy game.

You know why you say it's for kids? Because that's how it's ADVERTISED. It's the same way with Beyblade. This should be quite obvious. As long as a game brings people together, age is irrelevant.

Kids who don't know about EV training are understandable because they can be taught. I strongly encourage teaching EV training to any wannabe competitors. But it's the people who know about it, but decide not to, that I'm arguing against. They're the kind who should stay out of real tournaments.
Ichida, stop acting like a huge douche. Honestly, I've been nice to you lately bu you need to just shut the hell up.

Try and remember all the younger kids we've battled in Beyblade tournaments. Yes, we beat them, but I think we all knew it meant nothing. We did our best to teach everyone there how to be good, we gave our prizes to them. It was never about winning those tournaments, because we knew we would. Well, you didn't, but that isn't my point.

Grow the hell up. They're kids. I think they probably have a lot more fun with the game than I do.
I do EV, but I really hate it and I can get why nobody would want to do it. I've tried reading professional strategies and it feels like school. And for what? To be really good at Pokemon? The Beyblade community has never been this strict, probably because EVERYTHING is available to EVERYONE that wants it.

The entire system of raising Pokemon is redundantly tedious. Everything takes too long. Breeding should be instant, EVs should be player-allocable with neutral EVs coming on every level up, and they should be visible.

There is just so much to say about the ridiculous drivel you're spewing out, but I can't find the words, so: shut up.
Tamer Brad Wrote:Ichida, stop acting like a huge douche. Honestly, I've been nice to you lately bu you need to just shut the hell up.

Try and remember all the younger kids we've battled in Beyblade tournaments. Yes, we beat them, but I think we all knew it meant nothing. We did our best to teach everyone there how to be good, we gave our prizes to them. It was never about winning those tournaments, because we knew we would. Well, you didn't, but that isn't my point.

Grow the hell up. They're kids. I think they probably have a lot more fun with the game than I do.
I do EV, but I really hate it and I can get why nobody would want to do it. I've tried reading professional strategies and it feels like school. And for what? To be really good at Pokemon? The Beyblade community has never been this strict, probably because EVERYTHING is available to EVERYONE that wants it.

The entire system of raising Pokemon is redundantly tedious. Everything takes too long. Breeding should be instant, EVs should be player-allocable with neutral EVs coming on every level up, and they should be visible.

There is just so much to say about the ridiculous drivel you're spewing out, but I can't find the words, so: shut up.

Ichida just got straight owned, son.
Tamer Brad Wrote:We did our best to teach everyone there how to be good, we gave our prizes to them. It was never about winning those tournaments, because we knew we would.

i remember how you set up a sorta area on the grass at one of the WoW tourneys a few years ago to teach younger kids to blade. you even gave that little girl all your prizes. what was her name? Anna or something? man those were fun times

and yeah. the second a game becomes a chore it really aint worth playing anymore
Fleetscut Wrote:
Tamer Brad Wrote:We did our best to teach everyone there how to be good, we gave our prizes to them. It was never about winning those tournaments, because we knew we would.

i remember how you set up a sorta area on the grass at one of the WoW tourneys a few years ago to teach younger kids to blade. you even gave that little girl all your prizes. what was her name? Anna or something? man those were fun times

and yeah. the second a game becomes a chore it really aint worth playing anymore

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/t...CNE011.jpg

I hope Anna's well. Smile
I hate EV training. and IV Breeding.

to me, it kills the game. the fact that unless I used the top tier pokemon with perfect IV spread, and perfectly assigned EVs, I'll be destroyed in mere seconds.

I don't want to train up a Blissey with all the right stats, I don't want to have to use any of the Over-used pokemon.
When I play, I want to just have fun using the Pokemon I want to use.

My idea of fun training is breeding a Pokemon I'd like to use, and just sitting around fighting wild/trainers for a bit.
For example, today I bred a Bellsprout, I didn't even bother looking at the nature of it, I just went into the wild and started gaining some levels with it, with random pokemon, I don't give a carp if it gets EVs that don't help it
I'm doing it just 'cause I thought it'd be a bit fun to raise one.

I'm 19 and wholeheartedly agree with the kids who play with their favourites and just play for fun. Thats the way Pokemon should be.
Training and battling for fun amongst friends.

Instead we have the "hardcore" gamers, who have to make sure that every pokemon is perfectly set up so they can own everything else.
what is it... like 70% or more of the Pokemon just don't get used because they aren't competitive battle worthy? I really hate that.

And, Ichida... Since I know about EVs but don't feel like actually working with them, I should stay out of any "Real" tournaments?
Shut the carp up and stop being such an elitist jerk.
I don't bother with IVs, too much nonsense involved. I'll do nature (easy) and EV (easy but tedious).