Pokémon

I actually enjoyed breeding, the payoff of getting something with rad stats is always good.

And if you don't breed, it's okay. Most people don't. If you want to win tournaments you need to put a lot of work into your game, that how the developers made it and it can't be changed. A n00b with well-bred pokemon is still going to lose to someone who's better regardless. Nine year olds can't even comprehend the mind-games involved in high level battling, that doesn't mean that the game isn't fun for them. My team is a team made up of my favorites and I enjoyed breeding them back when I was playing Diamond. Saying that people who breed are fags is wrong, and saying that people who don't breed are fags is also wrong. In the end it's a game, you should have fun win or lose.
I think the breeding system is just too much tedium. EV's - okay, tolerable. Breeding is just disgustingly boring though.
Ichida Wrote:If kids aren't smart, resourceful, and dedicated (not lazy) enough to do the same, it's their loss.

orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
they don't have free time to "breed" pokemon on a gameboy/DS? that's just stupid

I'm guessing you dropped out of school to train pokemon right?

I agree with Toto, pokemon games are all about fun
and LOL @ artie
I went to check on my old Silver version yesterday and it was freaking deleted =/ Wonder what happened, but I hadn't touched it in years. Funny enough, my Blue still runs as good (save for the glitchy hall of fame due to missingno's glitch overuse).

Back in the day, I played Pokémon games mostly to enjoy beating the game and filling the dex. While I still like that, what really kept my interest was competitive battling. How deep and strategic it can be.
I don't really care about using what I know to be able to beat little kids, but I keep gathering knwoledge to be able to compete against other competitive/top players when I get the chance to.

On to breeding, while it feels cool to finaly get x poke with the desired IVs after all the time spent into it, I don't like doing it any better. Or SRing for legendaries. But to get good stuff in-game, I will.
People who just want straight battling can use a simulator like Shoddy or the up-coming Competitor to play without spending hours breeding/raising their pokes.
For me, I the only problem I have in-game is breeding, which usually gets too time comsuming. Other than that, just EVing and leveling them up usually goes by pretty fast, even more so now in D/P.

As for favourites, well, most of my fav pokes are already OU powerhouses =)

I'm not dissing anyone who just plays it for fun. Heck, I'm totally the opposite at SSBM for example, which I play mostly for fun when my friends come over and of which I have almost no knowledge concerning competitive battling. I know SSBM tourneys are filled with expert players, although it's target audience might be older than that of Pokémon, who newbies have 0% chance of beating, unlike in pokémon where a competent player can still loose vs a newbie due to bad luck, etc.
People have every right to just play for fun as they have to get into competitive battling. I get my knowledge on pokémon to fight players of the same skill level or above and not to just beat up little kids for the "fun" of it, as I mentioned before.
Of course, if I went to a tournament at some store and I'm interested in the prize, I'd do whatever I could to win, even if it means trashing some little kid's team for the 6-0.
King of Darkness Wrote:I went to check on my old Silver version yesterday and it was freaking deleted =/ Wonder what happened, but I hadn't touched it in years. Funny enough, my Blue still runs as good (save for the glitchy hall of fame due to missingno's glitch overuse).
Pokemon Gold and Silver both lose their abilities to save after eight or so years, and each cartridge erases after that period. That's why GameFreak is going to be remaking Gold and Silver for the DS.
Mr. Toto Wrote:
King of Darkness Wrote:I went to check on my old Silver version yesterday and it was freaking deleted =/ Wonder what happened, but I hadn't touched it in years. Funny enough, my Blue still runs as good (save for the glitchy hall of fame due to missingno's glitch overuse).
Pokemon Gold and Silver both lose their abilities to save after eight or so years, and each cartridge erases after that period. That's why GameFreak is going to be remaking Gold and Silver for the DS.

This hasn't been confirmed, has it?
Mr. Toto Wrote:

it makes sense though. i havent really opened up a gameboy cartridge before but if it runs on a CMOS battery to provide power to the part with the save data once that battery runs out then everytime you shut off the power the part with the save data would lose power too and wipe
I got irritated at Pokemon after breeding for IV's, nature, and getting EV's.

It just killed it for me.

Hopefully Competitor (Smogon) will be released SOMETIME so I can get back into the fun part of the game- PLAYING AGAINST PEOPLE.
*struggles against issuing more comments*

So yeah, just saying again that I'm always up for a battle over D/P or PBR if anyone else wants to test their mettle with REAL Pokemon created through effort, and not simply by typing in some numbers. Tongue_out *will not argue with more people about real vs simulated Pokemon, has already won that discussion too many times...*
Ichida Wrote:*struggles against issuing more comments*

So yeah, just saying again that I'm always up for a battle over D/P or PBR if anyone else wants to test their mettle with REAL Pokemon created through effort, and not simply by typing in some numbers. Tongue_out *will not argue with more people about real vs simulated Pokemon, has already won that discussion too many times...*

dude we aren't arguing against breeding not really mattering. No doubt you would rape us with your 100 ev 31 whatever the hell stat team.

it shouldn't matter though. especially a game for freakin 9 year olds.

You take yourself entirely too seriously.

It's a video game. I'm glad you can pride yourself on supposedly winning so many arguments over it.

Especially since it's a game made mainly for kids.

Great job being mature. Smile No, your huge elitist ego doesn't count.
Tamer Brad Wrote:
Mr. Toto Wrote:Pokemon Gold and Silver both lose their abilities to save after eight or so years, and each cartridge erases after that period. That's why GameFreak is going to be remaking Gold and Silver for the DS.

No, but from some evidence, it can be assumed, I guess. Diamond and Pearl dropped hints of remakes all over the place--the most notable being the reappearance of Jasmine and the addition of "Johto" as a location from which you can receive Pokemon from.

You do realize that the only difference between typing in EV's and raising them is that one takes ridiculously longer? There's no skill involved in EVing.

And what the hell do you mean real vs. simulated? THEY ARE LINES OF CODE IN A COMPUTER PROGRAM. IT IS ALL SIMULATED.

Mr. Toto Wrote:
Tamer Brad Wrote:
Mr. Toto Wrote:Pokemon Gold and Silver both lose their abilities to save after eight or so years, and each cartridge erases after that period. That's why GameFreak is going to be remaking Gold and Silver for the DS.

No, but from some evidence, it can be assumed, I guess. Diamond and Pearl dropped hints of remakes all over the place--the most notable being the reappearance of Jasmine and the addition of "Johto" as a location from which you can receive Pokemon from.

Yeah, I know about the evidence. Personally though, as much as I love GSC, I'd rather see GameFreak make a damn original Pokemon game. It's getting stale.
ichida this is why everyones hates youUnhappy

please stop being an elitist prick (about pokemon of all things)
artie, he has a fanclub

not everyone hates him
Tamer Brad Wrote:artie, he has a fanclub

not everyone hates him

What the hell is the world coming to?!
I think we should all sign up for the fanclub personally.
it honestly makes me sad to pick on him.

i think of him as a joke character to ease my soul.
Tamer Brad Wrote:

You do realize that the only difference between typing in EV's and raising them is that one takes ridiculously longer? There's no skill involved in EVing.

And what the hell do you mean real vs. simulated? THEY ARE LINES OF CODE IN A COMPUTER PROGRAM. IT IS ALL SIMULATED.
You're right and I only use Emulators. EVing is easy it's just a little time consuming I only ever did it with ONE pokemon and the results were worth it (only just though it hasn't made a MASSIVE impact on it at least for me), but I had already essentially "finished" The game (beaten the Elite) So I could go wherever I pleased to get the highest EV give out per pokemon. I basically fought Golbat and I believe Whismur/Loudreds.
I was raising my Manectric to be the best typical electric type it could be focusing on speed and special attack. There is one good thing about EVing in the gem gen and that's when you max out the EV's for one pokemon you get a pretty nice looking ribbon for it. But other than that it really was too much time for too little reward.
I'd really like a G/S/C remake.
The fact that EVing is easy but time-consuming makes it a tedious grind, GameFreak should work in a system that lets you relocate EVs where ever you want after beating the game or something.
...I would love for them to make Pokemon Snap DS
pokemon snap wii would be way better
Pokemon Snap Wii AND Pokemon Snap DS

With connectivity features that unlock some super special features.