Pictures of your Pets

Just because you've seen worse doesn't mean it's okay ;p

I've been getting really interested in dog nutrition and health and stuff and so many people don't realize just how hugely being overweight can impact a dogs life, because they're smaller and have different metabolisms than we do every extra pound on them is like the equivalent of 15 pounds on us.

Just because a dog is begging for food doesn't mean it's hungry, and dogs don't have the "you're full stop eating" mechanism that we do, they keep eating as long as there is food in front of them out of fear of future scarcity. Labs in particular are very prone to overeating/ being over fed because they're pigs and super sociable, and since they're a popular breed and so many pet owners (no matter how well intentioned) really don't know anything about canine nutrition they are given absolutely terrible food. Brands like Beneful, Purina, Iams, Eukanuba etc. are actually really terrible for dogs because they're mostly filler and contain hardly any of the nutrients a dog needs to live a long, healthy life. Many people take the stance that because the dog likes it is must be good for them, which is completely wrong. Dogs don't know what's good for them, and they trust you to do what's best for their health. Many owners also refuse to buy better foods because they tend to be more expensive, but feeding your dog really awesome food can save you a tonne of money in the long run in terms of vet bills, because otherwise dogs could contract things like diabetes, hip displaysia, osteo-arthritis, etc. The best cheap brand of dog food out there is the Kirklands stuff from Costco, but it is by no means brilliant.

My own dog became quite overweight last year when my other dog was dying and we weren't paying as much attention to her diet, the extra weight made the arthritis in her hips much worse so she was in a lot of pain, her coat was extremely oily and dandery and she was gassy as hell.
We've since changed her diet and started exercising her more regularly and it's like having a whole new dog, she has loads of energy (almost everyone we meet can't believe she's 12), a gorgeous coat, and is just much more comfortable overall.
Annie's right. Ever since we stopped giving our dog so much extra snacks etc. throughout the day, and started walking her a few hours a week, she's gotten so much more energetic and playful. She's in a lot less pain now and changing her diet and simply feeding her less has helped a lot.

We're not trying to take the piss or anything here, but when an animal is posted that clearly has some easily resolved health problems it's irresponsible to just keep quiet.
(Apr. 23, 2009  5:26 AM)AnnieDuck Wrote: Labs in particular are very prone to overeating/ being over fed because they're pigs and super sociable, and since they're a popular breed and so many pet owners (no matter how well intentioned) really don't know anything about canine nutrition they are given absolutely terrible food. Brands like Beneful, Purina, Iams, Eukanuba etc. are actually really terrible for dogs because they're mostly filler a
Totally agree with you here Annie. Labs are pigs (as are many other breeds), and will not stop eating as long as there is food. If there are instances where ours does not eat his meal, it is usually followed by an emergency visit to the vet since something is definitely wrong.

At home we give him a breakfast of the specialty kibbles you get at the vets, and for dinner we have home cooked food. Usually Steamed Beef, brown rice and carrots. He is at a 'perfect weight' (vets words not ours). We give him actual beef soup bones for a snack a couple times a week, and fruit for the rest of the days. He also gets 2 hours of physical activity a day. This has had a tremendous impact on his overall health. Owners of big dogs NEED to exercise their pets daily (taking into account their age of course).
While I may not know absolutely everything about dogs, I do have some pretty decent general knowledge so if any of you have any dog questions, feel free to ask! Grin

I plan on getting involved in rescue when Brad and I have our own place, so I'm really making an effort to learn as much as I can.
our dog loves apples
oh my god it's crazy how much she loves them
she always spits out the seeds/stem lmao
(Apr. 23, 2009  5:41 AM)AnnieDuck Wrote: oh my god it's crazy how much she loves them
she always spits out the seeds/stem lmao

Mine does too Joyful_2 He drools uncontrollably whenever we take one out to eat.
Labs/retrievers/hunting dogs in general are the most ridiculous droolers. A family friend of ours has a chocolate lab named Fudge who he trained from a pup to be a gun dog, and whenever he'd take out the flavoured dummies he was using to train her it was like a goddamn monsoon of saliva.
(Apr. 23, 2009  5:45 AM)AnnieDuck Wrote: Labs/retrievers/hunting dogs in general are the most ridiculous droolers. A family friend of ours has a chocolate lab named Fudge who he trained from a pup to be a gun dog, and whenever he'd take out the flavoured dummies he was using to train her it was like a goddamn monsoon of saliva.

Yeah they generally do. Actually it turns out ours has larger than normal salivary glands. He had an X-Ray once and the vet showed us. This has proven to be very testing; there needs to be a bloody mop on hand whenever it is remotely his time to eat.

Also old puppy pic Joyful_2
[Image: HPIM0773-1.jpg]
suzie you're the best dog
(Apr. 23, 2009  5:26 AM)AnnieDuck Wrote: Many people take the stance that because the dog likes it is must be good for them, which is completely wrong.
Like cats and antifreeze...
I wish my clients knew this much about food. More then half the dogs that come in are over weight. and it's usually the large dogs, old cats, and toy dogs.
Kudos to you Annie.
ARGH, cuteness overload. Supaburn I want to hug your dog. Pinching_eyes_2 And no way is she twelve. I thought they were puppy pics when I first saw them. XD

I hate it when people have overweight pets, I feel so sorry for them. Unhappy My parents feed my cat whenever she cries and it's really annoying and I always tell them not to and that they shouldn't have fed her so much as a kitten and then she'd be used to a schedule and she wouldn't be crying all the time. But they never listen. Angry

I know how they feel though. I don't have that "you're full stop eating" mechanism either. XD
(Apr. 23, 2009  1:04 PM)Rocky Wrote: ARGH, cuteness overload. Supaburn I want to hug your dog. >.< And now way is she twelve. I thought they were puppy pics when I first saw them. XD

she's the puppiest twelve year old Cute
Suzie is so cute Cute
Now I wanna take pics of my dogs, if only my camera didn't have that blinding annoying red light. >.>
you mean it leaves red eyes because i can fix that
No, when you take a photo a red light appears and it is probably scaring his dogs.
(Apr. 25, 2009  9:23 AM)Driger Wrote: No, when you take a photo a red light appears and it is probably scaring his dogs.

Yes, this.
Here I was trying to do my Stats Assignment and he comes barging in demanding an carp scratch. The nerve of him XD

[Image: P1000355.jpg]

[Image: P1000356.jpg]
She's adorable <3
(Jul. 09, 2009  3:50 AM)Pichuscute Wrote: She's adorable <3

AWW I KNOW. But she is a he...
I knew I'd regret editing that. >.> Well, he has a girly name Tongue_out
Still adorable, tho.....
hey no pics but ive got a dog named sandy
limp sort of because owner went to jail again so he's with us
also a joke we had a dog spunkey but he got scared of a kitten about the size of a baby shoe when he was at least 2 feet tall and sandy is hilarious just get a pillow and shell be next to you