Oct-09-2022: "The Circuit: Forestville MD" tournament reports

The following are words I have to say about "The Circuit: Forestville MD", a ranked tournament using Burst Standard 3v3 format after the release and partial availability of B-203.

I recommend the following music for reading the report. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR7K_HrSwrM . Look, I play a lot of videogames. Folks, my memory is bad, so if I end up repeating tournament report music, just let me know and I'll pick a new track.

- We had 25 participants, meaning 5 round swiss. A far cry from the 36 we had registered ahead of time.

- We started around 12:25. It went until 3:45. There were 4 beystadiums, and usually 3 of them active with matches.

- I am in bad condition myself, having bits of Long COVID. I'm testing negative now, I'm no longer contagius, most symptoms are gone. My memory is EVEN WORSE than normal, I forgot my deodorant. Sorry. Most people shouldn't have smelled anything awry unless they were CROWDING WAY TOO CLOSE TO A MATCH BEING JUDGED. A recurring theme today.

- I had a bad pre-tournament morning, for reasons I won't get directly into. It was sort of an off day. I did not intend to judge that day, but we had a LOT of newer bladers and not quite as many experienced judges as usual, so I did. I regret it? I regret it. I think my days of judging Beyblade matches are over for a while.

- The weather was... fine, it's indoors in Mike.Nightwing's gaming loft. Regular lighting, and it was a little toasty, I had to take my jacket off. It's almost winter now, so, that's good.

- We had about 12 newer bladers today. That means re-used tips and discs, which were spotted and corrected. We had one new blader misunderstand the rules a bit, they attempted to change the tips on their different beys during a reshuffle. We quickly corrected that. Some bladers had to borrow parts, but Crisis or Nightwing had some parts available in boxes at the beystadiums for that.

- This was 3v3 format. That means everyone prepared a deck of 3 beyblades. Today, I went with my two usual mains, Dynamite Belial2+F Illegal Bearing'-0, Vanish Bahamut Giga Metal Drift-10, and for the last bey, Wind. I originally was using Wind Hello Kitty Moon Revolve'-4, but Revolve' was a mistake. I switched it to High Xtend+, but Hello Kitty itself was causing problems. Looks like I left my Dragon chip at home, had to rely on Kerbeus. It did okay. Shoulda brought Dragon.

- Hello Kitty core is kind of a disappointment, but it's Spriggan, so I'm not really surprised. Spriggan DB core tends to creep towards the middle instead of resting at the left on right spin, meaning it applies undue pressure to the launcher prongs and you have to twist it a little just to get them on. Leads to bad launches. The teeth are nothing to write home about. Honestly, if you have a Hello Kitty that doesn't do this, lucky you. Mine's bad. I had to give up on it. Not a great chip, I honestly might put a custom design on mine and make it non-tournament legal, but it'll look cool, it's flat so it's perfect for custom designs.

- Wind was way more common today. I like it, it's got good stamina. It doesn't tie as much against Vanish and Dynamite. It can both win and lose against Vanish and Dynamite. It's good, I like it, but it's not perfect. Nothing is.

- I predicted today was going to be interesting because I knew someone who was registered and had two B-203 sets. They didn't show up! No one had two B-203 sets. Two bladers had A B-203 set, so we saw some King MR and some Drift Bearing. But No sign of Super R2 or King R2 yet. So it wasn't all that interesting and I have to go get an extra B-203 myself. If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.

- Anyway, Drift Bearing is great. You knew it would be. It is. Is it a surefire win? No, it can lose to Bearing in some cases, there's no surefire win. But if you want to rock a deck with Bearing, Bearing', and Drift Bearing, now you can! You monster!

- A lot of my battle wins were opposite spin, as usual. A lot. I'm very cursed. But I had some same spins too. Even won some of them. I went 4-1 in the first round, and even that 1 loss was close. Later, it would come back to haunt me.

- For finals today, I wound up against Mr pokee, who had beaten me in first stage. He beat me again! It wasn't boring though. He had Dynamite on Bearing', beat my Dynamite. So I try my Vanish Metal Drift, he beat it. Xiphoid Fortress Qc', which I brought to give me some better options for deck? Beat it. Crud, now I'm down 3. So I try Dynamite on Bearing' myself again... manage to beat him. Rematch... got it again. After some ties, another point. 3-3. At least I'm making him work for it! Aaaand then he switches to Left World Something Drift. Oof. He gets me. I shoulda gone into high mode, in hindsight. Alas, I did not. Congrats on beating me twice Mr pokee! My beyrank is yours for the pillaging!

- 1st place was Mike.Nightwing, second JCMakeEmBurst, third Mr pokee, SPN_Z3R0 fourth.

- Please, when you have questions, ask the judges or tournament organizers, as long as they're not in the middle of judging an active match. If they are, you really need to wait or to ask someone else. If you want to know the Wi-Fi password, talk to the venue owner, not a random judge.

- I get it, you're all excited for the tournament matches and would like to watch them. That's fine. But you need to do so at a respectful distance. There are only 3 people who should be next to the beystadium and the table it's on: the two competing bladers, and the judge. You need to stay away from the bladers so that you don't interfere with their launches. And you need to stay away from the judge because they might have excellent peripheral vision and every time you show up in it, and their personal space, they can lose focus, and they're trying really hard to focus on the match happening so they can judge it correctly. And if they ask you to stay clear of the beystadium and the space around it, they mean it. Don't do it again. Don't keep doing it. We had a lot of younger bladers and newer parents who had a lot of trouble understanding that. We also had a ton of people walking directly behind me while I'm trying to judge a match. It turns out I can sense that and I find it Very Distracting and Very Agitating. I would say in the future we need to set up tables in a way so that no one has any reason to do that, because it's very bad. Towards the end I got fed up with it, asked for a stadium where no one was going to walk directly behind me, went to that beystadium, and people did it anyway. And then I piled up my parts box and a chair right behind me in a way that people would be VERY UNLIKELY to try and walk through there directly behind me, and someone else DID IT AGAIN. And at that point, no, I'm done, no more judging today, or for a long while. I was wrong to judge today, I should've just kept to myself. At other venues, this doesn't happen. At this venue, we need to find a way to keep non-participants away from the tournament beystadiums.

- The tables at this venue are not too sturdy. If you lean on them or shake them, it will interfere with your current match's beystadium, and it will also interfere with any active beystadiums on the same table. So... don't lean, don't shake, and definitely don't do it on purpose. Especially when asked to stop.

- Here's a brief refresher course for everyone from both the Community Rules and Organizer's Guide:

Tournament Violation Procedure & Guidelines section from the community rules::
Severe violations
- Illegal modification of parts
- Lying to a judge
- Encouraging other players to throw matches
---> Bullying or verbal harassment of other players <---
First violation: 70% warning, expires in 1 year
Second violation: Permanent ban

Organizer's Guide, towards the end:
"You should disqualify a player from your tournament if they intentionally:
-Insult, steal from, or otherwise harass another player"

As you can see, harassment and bullying at a tournament is strictly against the WBO rules. If someone doesn't want to have an in-person conversation with you on non-tournament topic, they don't have to. To force the issue is a violation of WBO rules. If a Judge or Venue Staff or the Tournament Organizer has a legitimate tournament reason to speak with you, then you need to have that conversation. If a regular Participant or Non-Participant wants to have a discussion with you about the tournament, that's your call whether or not to have it. But if an Attendee or Judge or Venue Staff or the Tournament Organizer wants to have a non-tournament conversation with you that has nothing to do with the tournament going on today, you have every right to refuse to have that discussion. If they continue demanding to have that discussion or begin having that discussion at you against your will, and you've told them no several times, then they are breaking the WBO rules mentioned previously. Does WBO actually enforce these rules? Rarely if ever! WBO prefers to take the lightest touch possible and avoid/ignore all liability or intervention at all times. But who knows, maybe this time they actually will enforce their own rules. Why risk it? If someone tells you no, wants you to leave them alone, and wants you to respect their boundaries, just do that! And if you don't, they will file a tournament incident report, which you can find at the following link. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQ...w/viewform

- We will see the results of B-203's release sooner or later, but we didn't see the full effect today.

I'd like to say the tournament was all sunshine and rainbows, but it clearly wasn't. I still had fun.
(Oct. 10, 2022  12:39 AM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: The following are words I have to say about "The Circuit: Forestville MD", a ranked tournament using Burst Standard 3v3 format after the release and partial availability of B-203.

I recommend the following music for reading the report. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR7K_HrSwrM . Look, I play a lot of videogames. Folks, my memory is bad, so if I end up repeating tournament report music, just let me know and I'll pick a new track.

- We had 25 participants, meaning 5 round swiss. A far cry from the 36 we had registered ahead of time.

- We started around 12:25. It went until 3:45. There were 4 beystadiums, and usually 3 of them active with matches.

- I am in bad condition myself, having bits of Long COVID. I'm testing negative now, I'm no longer contagius, most symptoms are gone. My memory is EVEN WORSE than normal, I forgot my deodorant. Sorry. Most people shouldn't have smelled anything awry unless they were CROWDING WAY TOO CLOSE TO A MATCH BEING JUDGED. A recurring theme today.

- I had a bad pre-tournament morning, for reasons I won't get directly into. It was sort of an off day. I did not intend to judge that day, but we had a LOT of newer bladers and not quite as many experienced judges as usual, so I did. I regret it? I regret it. I think my days of judging Beyblade matches are over for a while.

- The weather was... fine, it's indoors in Mike.Nightwing's gaming loft. Regular lighting, and it was a little toasty, I had to take my jacket off. It's almost winter now, so, that's good.

- We had about 12 newer bladers today. That means re-used tips and discs, which were spotted and corrected. We had one new blader misunderstand the rules a bit, they attempted to change the tips on their different beys during a reshuffle. We quickly corrected that. Some bladers had to borrow parts, but Crisis or Nightwing had some parts available in boxes at the beystadiums for that.

- This was 3v3 format. That means everyone prepared a deck of 3 beyblades. Today, I went with my two usual mains, Dynamite Belial2+F Illegal Bearing'-0, Vanish Bahamut Giga Metal Drift-10, and for the last bey, Wind. I originally was using Wind Hello Kitty Moon Revolve'-4, but Revolve' was a mistake. I switched it to High Xtend+, but Hello Kitty itself was causing problems. Looks like I left my Dragon chip at home, had to rely on Kerbeus. It did okay. Shoulda brought Dragon.

- Hello Kitty core is kind of a disappointment, but it's Spriggan, so I'm not really surprised. Spriggan DB core tends to creep towards the middle instead of resting at the left on right spin, meaning it applies undue pressure to the launcher prongs and you have to twist it a little just to get them on. Leads to bad launches. The teeth are nothing to write home about. Honestly, if you have a Hello Kitty that doesn't do this, lucky you. Mine's bad. I had to give up on it. Not a great chip, I honestly might put a custom design on mine and make it non-tournament legal, but it'll look cool, it's flat so it's perfect for custom designs.

- Wind was way more common today. I like it, it's got good stamina. It doesn't tie as much against Vanish and Dynamite. It can both win and lose against Vanish and Dynamite. It's good, I like it, but it's not perfect. Nothing is.

- I predicted today was going to be interesting because I knew someone who was registered and had two B-203 sets. They didn't show up! No one had two B-203 sets. Two bladers had A B-203 set, so we saw some King MR and some Drift Bearing. But No sign of Super R2 or King R2 yet. So it wasn't all that interesting and I have to go get an extra B-203 myself. If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.

- Anyway, Drift Bearing is great. You knew it would be. It is. Is it a surefire win? No, it can lose to Bearing in some cases, there's no surefire win. But if you want to rock a deck with Bearing, Bearing', and Drift Bearing, now you can! You monster!

- A lot of my battle wins were opposite spin, as usual. A lot. I'm very cursed. But I had some same spins too. Even won some of them. I went 4-1 in the first round, and even that 1 loss was close. Later, it would come back to haunt me.

- For finals today, I wound up against Mr pokee, who had beaten me in first stage. He beat me again! It wasn't boring though. He had Dynamite on Bearing', beat my Dynamite. So I try my Vanish Metal Drift, he beat it. Xiphoid Fortress Qc', which I brought to give me some better options for deck? Beat it. Crud, now I'm down 3. So I try Dynamite on Bearing' myself again... manage to beat him. Rematch... got it again. After some ties, another point. 3-3. At least I'm making him work for it! Aaaand then he switches to Left World Something Drift. Oof. He gets me. I shoulda gone into high mode, in hindsight. Alas, I did not. Congrats on beating me twice Mr pokee! My beyrank is yours for the pillaging!

- 1st place was Mike.Nightwing, second JCMakeEmBurst, third Mr pokee, SPN_Z3R0 fourth.

- Please, when you have questions, ask the judges or tournament organizers, as long as they're not in the middle of judging an active match. If they are, you really need to wait or to ask someone else. If you want to know the Wi-Fi password, talk to the venue owner, not a random judge.

- I get it, you're all excited for the tournament matches and would like to watch them. That's fine. But you need to do so at a respectful distance. There are only 3 people who should be next to the beystadium and the table it's on: the two competing bladers, and the judge. You need to stay away from the bladers so that you don't interfere with their launches. And you need to stay away from the judge because they might have excellent peripheral vision and every time you show up in it, and their personal space, they can lose focus, and they're trying really hard to focus on the match happening so they can judge it correctly. And if they ask you to stay clear of the beystadium and the space around it, they mean it. Don't do it again. Don't keep doing it. We had a lot of younger bladers and newer parents who had a lot of trouble understanding that. We also had a ton of people walking directly behind me while I'm trying to judge a match. It turns out I can sense that and I find it Very Distracting and Very Agitating. I would say in the future we need to set up tables in a way so that no one has any reason to do that, because it's very bad. Towards the end I got fed up with it, asked for a stadium where no one was going to walk directly behind me, went to that beystadium, and people did it anyway. And then I piled up my parts box and a chair right behind me in a way that people would be VERY UNLIKELY to try and walk through there directly behind me, and someone else DID IT AGAIN. And at that point, no, I'm done, no more judging today, or for a long while. I was wrong to judge today, I should've just kept to myself. At other venues, this doesn't happen. At this venue, we need to find a way to keep non-participants away from the tournament beystadiums.

- The tables at this venue are not too sturdy. If you lean on them or shake them, it will interfere with your current match's beystadium, and it will also interfere with any active beystadiums on the same table. So... don't lean, don't shake, and definitely don't do it on purpose. Especially when asked to stop.

- Here's a brief refresher course for everyone from both the Community Rules and Organizer's Guide:

Tournament Violation Procedure & Guidelines section from the community rules::
Severe violations
- Illegal modification of parts
- Lying to a judge
- Encouraging other players to throw matches
---> Bullying or verbal harassment of other players <---
First violation: 70% warning, expires in 1 year
Second violation: Permanent ban

Organizer's Guide, towards the end:
"You should disqualify a player from your tournament if they intentionally:
-Insult, steal from, or otherwise harass another player"

As you can see, harassment and bullying at a tournament is strictly against the WBO rules. If someone doesn't want to have an in-person conversation with you on non-tournament topic, they don't have to. To force the issue is a violation of WBO rules. If a Judge or Venue Staff or the Tournament Organizer has a legitimate tournament reason to speak with you, then you need to have that conversation. If a regular Participant or Non-Participant wants to have a discussion with you about the tournament, that's your call whether or not to have it. But if an Attendee or Judge or Venue Staff or the Tournament Organizer wants to have a non-tournament conversation with you that has nothing to do with the tournament going on today, you have every right to refuse to have that discussion. If they continue demanding to have that discussion or begin having that discussion at you against your will, and you've told them no several times, then they are breaking the WBO rules mentioned previously. Does WBO actually enforce these rules? Rarely if ever! WBO prefers to take the lightest touch possible and avoid/ignore all liability or intervention at all times. But who knows, maybe this time they actually will enforce their own rules. Why risk it? If someone tells you no, wants you to leave them alone, and wants you to respect their boundaries, just do that! And if you don't, they will file a tournament incident report, which you can find at the following link. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQ...w/viewform

- We will see the results of B-203's release sooner or later, but we didn't see the full effect today.

I'd like to say the tournament was all sunshine and rainbows, but it clearly wasn't. I still had fun.
Another very poggers report our battle was very fun can't wait to see you next week
Incoming deck: drift, metal drift, bearing drift.
(Oct. 10, 2022  4:29 AM)Zektor Wrote: Incoming deck: drift, metal drift, bearing drift.

I would be more concerned about Bearing, Bearing', Drift Bearing. As much as Drift has been a danger, I don't see it used much anymore. I still use Metal Drift on my Vanish Bahamut, to very decent effect. My Drift is one of the ones known for being stable, but lately it's been zooming out on me. I guess after using it in so many tournaments I just got tired of gambling with it. Bearing is waaaaay more stable and reliable.
Drift feels very niche to me, tho it could be meta dependent. Too hard to guarantee the opp spin match up. All bearing is better for sure but BDr is apparently even easier to KO than Br'. I don't think super highly of Br' as most ppl do tho. Lots of good stamina drivers, I am curious to see if bdr manages to lock any out tho!

Great write up as always, I think I say this a lot, but I enjoy reading them.

As for reports. I promise they are taken seriously and take up a disproportionate amount of time at staff meetings. I will say we can be slow in addressing them, but 100% of incident reports while I've been staff have been discussed (some in a very heated manner) and dealt with in a way I would say is fair. Sometimes lighter than I would like, but also sometimes heavier. We do try to weigh what is best for the community as a whole, and take into account any additional context though, which may make some things look lighter. But I promise your report will be looked at properly and thoroughly. I don't think this is the place to have a lengthy discussion about how we operate but I feel it's important to address your concerns 🙏
I was there and I had 3 sets to be correct but I have a son who participated so he used one I used double r Helios for first two matches but didn’t get results I wanted she would have been better for finals format if I would have made it with the combo I used so I went back to my vanish combo (started winning) so proably why you didn’t see me use it as I didn’t make it to the finals bearing drift did its thang tho and still looking for a third for teampalooza if anyone is down
(Oct. 10, 2022  12:36 PM)Loskii Wrote: I was there and  I had 3 sets to be correct but I have a son who participated so he used one I used double r Helios for first two matches but didn’t get results I wanted she would have been better for finals format  if I would have made it with the combo I used so I went back to my vanish combo (started winning) so proably why you didn’t see me use it as I didn’t make it to the finals bearing drift did its thang tho and still looking for a third for teampalooza if anyone is down

I missed those matches apparently. He was using King Helios RR? I think perhaps King Hyperion RR might've gotten better results. The idea that you can put both Super and King into left and right boggles the mind. But it could just be that the combo lacks the weight or shape necessary to do those Judgment-quality hits.