Needle Discussion

(Jan. 16, 2016  8:50 AM)Zoroaste Wrote: Yeah, I think Needle and Blow are gonna be the two new defensive drivers for now, because they can occupy that mid space and kinda "halfway stall". That would probably be a good one to test next, which one has better stamina and/or can occupy that mid space longer? Needle or Blow?

I'd be glad to do a comparison test. I'll have the results up later.
Here are the comparison OHB/WHB tests.

Odin Heavy Blow v Valkyrie Force Xtreme
OHB: 10/20, 1 KO, 5 OS, 4 Burst
VFX: 10/20, 5 KO, 5 Burst
2 Ties
Odin Heavy Blow: 50%

Wyvern Heavy Blow v Valkyrie Force Xtreme
OHB: 10/20, 9 OS, 1 Burst
VFX: 10/20, 4 KO, 6 Burst
1 Ties
Wyvern Heavy Blow: 50%

Funny how the both got fifty percent. Anyways, here's my comparison of Needle and Blow. I think when it comes to "middle stalling", they're pretty much equal, although Blow tends to go a bit farther to the edge of the stadium at the very beginning of the battle. I thought Stamina-wise Blow would beat Needle, but they seemed fairly even to me, and if you look at win by OS's between the Needle and Blow tests, they're pretty equal to each other. However, one thing that Needle has over Blow in my observations was it tanked hits much better than Blow. Blow was more susceptible to both early-on Bursts and Bursts very late in the game where I thought Valk wouldn't have enough power to do so.

Of course, more tests need to be done, but currently, I'm favoring Needle.
Thanks, wow, that's weird that they have the same stamina, I guess the surface area contact and friction is roughly the same then, maybe because Needle's isn't all concentrated on the center of the mass or something.
I did a bunch more Needle tests. I'm really starting to think that Needle is definitely viable for top tier defense.

Equipment:

Odin Heavy Needle v Valkyrie Heavy Accel
OHN: 16/20, 5 OS, 1 KO, 10 Burst - 80%
VHA: 4/20, 1 OS, 2 KO, 1 Burst - 20%

Odin Heavy Needle v Spriggan Heavy Accel
OHN: 14/20, 10 OS, 4 Burst - 70%
SHA: 6/20, 5 KO, 1 Burst - 30%

Wyvern Heavy Needle v Valkyrie Heavy Accel
WHN: 16/20, 10 OS, 3 KO, 3 Burst - 80%
VHA: 4/20, 4 Burst - 20%

Wyvern Heavy Needle v Spriggan Heavy Accel
WHN: 14/20, 14 OS - 70%
SHA: 6/20, 2 OS, 1 KO, 3 Burst - 30%
Why didn't you use Xtreme?
(Jan. 23, 2016  2:06 PM)*Ginga* Wrote: Why didn't you use Xtreme?

Because when I finished these it was late, haha. I'll be doing more Xtreme tests today, although I've already done a bunch of tests against Valkyrie Force Xtreme, which I've already posted.
can anyone do solo spin test of needle and blow? or do ORN vs ORB
I saw some battles of Needle Drivers on YouTube on k1mboslice1305´s channel. I think Valkyrie Heavy Needle would be good as a stationary attack combo. Can somebody maybe do some tests on this combo? Thank you. Smile
(Feb. 28, 2016  9:10 PM)Zera Wrote: I saw some battles of Needle Drivers on YouTube on k1mboslice1305´s channel. I think Valkyrie Heavy Needle would be good as a stationary attack combo. Can somebody maybe do some tests on this combo? Thank you. Smile

The question would be whether Needle is really better than Survive at this.
(Feb. 28, 2016  9:17 PM)Kai-V Wrote:
(Feb. 28, 2016  9:10 PM)Zera Wrote: I saw some battles of Needle Drivers on YouTube on k1mboslice1305´s channel. I think Valkyrie Heavy Needle would be good as a stationary attack combo. Can somebody maybe do some tests on this combo? Thank you. Smile

I think Needle would be better than Survive at stationary attack because it can hit harder because of more friction with the stadium floor but it's still not that much that it clicks as fast as a regular attack driver. And because of the slighty higher friction it makes it harder to ko. I think Needle has the perfect balance between regular defense and burst defense.
(Feb. 28, 2016  9:17 PM)Kai-V Wrote:

It was used in the last tourney to decent effect by Manicben. Launching it hard gives it some movement which is the reason behind using it. However I don't really know how it compares to VSS. Also it's already on the tentative burst tier list.