MFB: Limited :: Primer, Random Thoughts, and Q&A Thread!

:: MFB: Limited ::
Primer, Random Thoughts, and Q&A Thread

Welcome to the primer, random thoughts, and Q&A thread for the MFB: Limited format! In this format, Metal Fight Beyblades are used, but some parts are banned! Battles are conducted in the BB-10 Attack Type Stadium.
  • If you want more detail about what the Limited format is, keep reading!
  • If you just want to talk about the format in general or have a question about how Limited works, simply post here!

Remember, while you may discuss random thoughts pertaining to the Limited format, you need to follow the all the rules of the forum so you don't spam!

:: What is the Limited Format? ::

Limited is a brand new format for WBO-sponsored tournament play! It is almost the exact same as the MFB: Standard format, namely in that it is played using Metal Fight Beyblades in the BB-10 Attack Type Stadium. The main difference in the Limited format (both from Standard and from all other formats) is that Limited employs an extensive ban list, meaning certain parts are not allowed in Limited tournaments!

Why are some parts banned? The Limited ban list was created to remove parts deemed too powerful for the format, with the goal of creating a metagame where parts previously deemed uncompetitive have a chance to shine!

That's right, brush off your Earths and Crystal Wheels, because it's time for them to make their way into competitive play!

Another thing this format acknowledges is that the ban list is probably not perfect, meaning that there might be unbanned parts that are oppressively good, or there might be some banned parts that don't actually need to be banned. As such, another goal of this format is to have a dynamic ban list, meaning the ban list will be updated based on test results by you, the Bladers!

:: So, what Beyblade parts can I use? ::

Like we mentioned before, you can use any parts from the Metal Fight Beyblade generation other than the parts on the ban list.

What does the ban list include? We're glad you asked!

The first thing that we targeted with the ban list is wheels that are oppressively heavy. In general, if a wheel weighs over 40 grams, it is most likely banned; that means that all Synchroms are banned, as are 4D/Hyperblade wheels, Basalt, and Hell. The idea is that if only a single one of these wheels were unbanned, it would likely dominate the entire metagame, something we want to avoid.

The next parts we looked at banning were tracks. Ever since the release of BD145, tracks that are based on large, heavy disks have become the only options for competitive defense customs, and with good reason: their inclusion nullified the vast majority of attackers that were competitive prior to their release. Because our lightweight wheels don't have enough power to possibly KO a defender wielding a disk-based track, the tracks BD145, SA165, E230, and SP230 are all banned.

That leaves us with bottoms. After a LOT of intense internal testing, it was shown that our lightweight wheels simply cannot KO defenders on certain rubber-based bottoms, namely RS, RB, and RDF; these bottoms are simply too good for defense, and in the interest in balancing defense against attack, we needed to ban these three bottoms. (Note that defense still has things like CS, RSF, and the Rubber Flat variants to work with!)

If you want to see the most up-to-date ban list, check out the ban list discussion thread here!

:: What stadium do I use? ::

All tournaments for the MFB: Limited format will use the BB-10 Attack Type Stadium, as shown here:

[Image: BB-10_1.PNG]
A clear BB-10

[Image: BB-10_2.PNG]
A light blue BB-10

The reason this stadium is used is because it is one of the most fair stadiums currently available for every type of Beyblade:
  • It has actual exits instead of pockets or walls, which makes it easier to tell when an attack type gets a KO.
  • It has a good wall-to-exit ratio, which is good for defenders and stamina types because they can be "wall saved" instead of getting KOed a fair amount of the time.
  • It does not have a flat bottom, which is good because the slopes ensure more consistent contact between the Beyblades.
  • It has a tornado ridge of a reasonable height, meaning it can catch Beyblades without always stopping them from exiting the stadium.
This stadium has only been released in Asia, meaning one does have to buy this stadium online, but for those who are interested in becoming a serious WBO tournament goer, this is an essential and very worthwhile purchase.

With that, we welcome you to this exciting new format, soon to be at a tournament near you! If you have any questions or random thoughts regarding this format, post them here!
This has made my day. I'm looking forward to spicing up future events for my advanced players!
While I posted some general thoughts about the format in the announcement topic (if you're curious as to how it plays, my post is on the first page and I go into way too much depth about how great it is), I've written some notes on what I remember/had recorded of the things I tried when testing things out for Limited, to get things started/provide some direction for early testers, mostly just the quirks of each wheel and some notes on how things match up etc.

Keep in mind I don't own any Metal Fury wheels, nor any parts from Zero G aside from Revizer, Dragooon, Saramanda, Dark Knight, E230 and SA165, and also lack TR145, SWD, Forbidden, Cloud, Crash, FB, Divine, and a few other relevant parts from before that, so none of those will be covered in my actual summaries and it is all based on testing without those parts. Assuming none are overpowered however it shouldn't make that much difference. I have mentioned some things from that selection which I think might be good based on design or the testing others have done in separate subsections, however. As usual, YMMV.

Balance (very little to see here) (Click to View)
It seems that Metal System Beys might work really well in Limited. I've had some good combos before with Libra and L-Drago, but nothing officially tested.

Might be a good time to try and snag some more to see how effective they might actually be in Limited.

Anyone out there have a good collection of Metal System Beys to do some tests?
What parts do you need?
sorry if this is a stupid question-.-
I'm going to try and snag some of eBay, probably after the holidays at this point. I was just curious how much other people had so they could start testing.
(Dec. 04, 2013  8:05 PM)Naijalak Wrote: I'm going to try and snag some of eBay, probably after the holidays at this point. I was just curious how much other people had so they could start testing.

No i mean, i want to test someSmile i just want to know what parts do i use for this testing?
This was from the Metal System Testing thread:
Ingulit Wrote:Here, because this thread is a little too general (seeing as there are a lot of Metal System wheels we could talk about) I'm going to merge this with our new Random Thoughts thread! This is the kind of discussion that the Random Thoughts thread was made for:
http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-MFB-Limi...hts-Thread

(Dec. 04, 2013  8:05 PM)Naijalak Wrote: I'm going to try and snag some of eBay, probably after the holidays at this point. I was just curious how much other people had so they could start testing.

This is what I'm going to be doing as well, because yeah, the Metal System is going to be huge for this format. I'm expecting there to be a rush on BB-96s, haha!
Is it possible, that eventually, this Limited Format will be possible for Zero-G (stadiums)? Grin
It's possible, yeah! We wanted to experiment with this new type of format in the tried-and-true BB-10 before branching off like that, but it's not out of the realm of possibility Grin
Man everyone is ignoring LTDC, which are the most reliable, solid defense set ups in the format. Get your 85 on, guys.

Like seriously please don't make me have to interrupt my holiday to make an mf-h earth bull 85rsf/rf thread, I will if I have to but please, actually experiment more with defense and compare the struggles it has with the other types : it is by no means underpowered at least considering things that were tested before launch.
Something I really want to see tested is MF-H Libra CH120RF; it's described in great detail on the Beywiki, and I'm wondering if it holds up to the pseudo-hype that its article suggests.
With this format now out, I might start testing.

Forbidden for attack guys?

I got it to KO Basalt a while back.
That thing was scary because wb was the best defensive tip (well, rf was usable and I imagine earth rf LTDC would have dealt with it but no one thought of it or whatever). R145 boosting the weight of attack types and the presence of tall tracks also reduce its usefulness. I did look into it multiple times while testing and it is is decent but falls short in most ways. I will probably try it against ltsc tomorrow myself as if it can handle them then I might consider doing more extensive testing on it.

Going to give meteo ldrago b: d a shot tomorrow but I'm pretty sure it sucks. MLD100EWD was popular while b: d was around after all.

Kujikato : I'm very interested in how Forbidden, Cloud, Crash and Bakushin do as I only have the latter and don't want to damage it, and Forbidden and Bakushin both have promising design features. I mean ray works pretty well so most things stand a chance IMO.
I can supply some Forbidden tests if needed then.
I totally forgot about Bakushin when I was listing potential defense wheels, doh! It definitely looks like it'd be good, especially on a low track. I'll put some tests in on it, and if nobody makes a thread in the meantime (which would be fine) I'll post a Bakushin discussion thread.

But Cloud, lol? Even for this format it's ridiculously light, and it has tons of recoil to boot. It's fun to play around with (namely to see how far across the room you can KO it), but I'd be surprised to see it do well competitively Tongue_out

(Dec. 05, 2013  7:47 PM)Kujikato Wrote: I can supply some Forbidden tests if needed then.

Yes please!! Make a Forbidden discussion when you're done, I'm really interested to see how it performs Grin
Sure, I'll make a note of that, how do you think Meteo L-Drago II CH120 XF/FB would fare in Limited?

I think it should do pretty well, seeing that there's no BD145 or E230 to kill it, nor Basalt and Hell+230.
I've seen Bakushin tests showing it work in every combo type, so I may even test it myself.

I forgot which of cloud or crash was supposedly pushed into an okay weight range haha. Even then I don't have high expectations for them, but yeah. There are a lot of metal system wheels I want to see, might buy them myself for Xmas.

I will probably make threads for Leone and screw tomorrow as they're my favourite wheels in the format and I'm very familiar with their quirks, not to call dibs or anything but yeah, if someone wants to make them before then they should make sure they do a good job or I will sulk.

MLD will suffer from attack being worthwhile in this format in general haha.
True.

It's too light, but that gave me an idea:

Wyvang + Dark Knight?
(Dec. 05, 2013  8:05 PM)Kujikato Wrote: True.

It's too light, but that gave me an idea:

Wyvang + Dark Knight?

I'm actually going to be posting a Dark Knight custom as soon as my finals are over tomorrow (not with Wyvang, but that's an interesting idea). It's easily going to be the most important crystal wheel we need to test for this format.

Actually, that just got me thinking; is there any crystal wheel shaped like Bakushin?
(Dec. 05, 2013  7:49 PM)Ingulit Wrote: I totally forgot about Bakushin when I was listing potential defense wheels, doh! It definitely looks like it'd be good, especially on a low track. I'll put some tests in on it, and if nobody makes a thread in the meantime (which would be fine) I'll post a Bakushin discussion thread.

But Cloud, lol? Even for this format it's ridiculously light, and it has tons of recoil to boot. It's fun to play around with (namely to see how far across the room you can KO it), but I'd be surprised to see it do well competitively Tongue_out

(Dec. 05, 2013  7:47 PM)Kujikato Wrote: I can supply some Forbidden tests if needed then.

Yes please!! Make a Forbidden discussion when you're done, I'm really interested to see how it performs Grin

Finally, someone realizes its use! It definatly has a chance to become very competitive in limited with its compact design and low recoil

EDIT: I'm talking about bakushin if u didnt notice lol
Has anyone thought about Bakushin GB145 CS? I used it a few times in a friend's BB-10, it was decent. Tongue_out It might do well in this format, though.
I'm thinking something more like MF-H Bakushin ____ 85RSF; it'd be low enough to the ground for its awesome shape to help deflect blows (in theory). I really want to test Metal Fury Wing on low tracks to see if it'd do the same thing, seeing as the 4D Wing acted like a ramp on low tracks in Standard.
(Dec. 05, 2013  9:48 PM)Ingulit Wrote: I'm thinking something more like MF-H Bakushin ____ 85RSF; it'd be low enough to the ground for its awesome shape to help deflect blows (in theory). I really want to test Metal Fury Wing on low tracks to see if it'd do the same thing, seeing as the 4D Wing acted like a ramp on low tracks in Standard.

I've experimented with it before, in my opinion, its really too hollow to do well on a low setup, but in this format without Basalt or Hell, everything changes. Tongue_out
_

As far as 4D bottoms go, has anyone thought about Libra or Earth BGrin for Stamina? I know it'd be lightweight (Earth) and BGrin is easyish to KO and not thought much of in BB-10, but its just an idea, haha.
(Dec. 05, 2013  9:52 PM)Leone19 Wrote:
(Dec. 05, 2013  9:48 PM)Ingulit Wrote: I'm thinking something more like MF-H Bakushin ____ 85RSF; it'd be low enough to the ground for its awesome shape to help deflect blows (in theory). I really want to test Metal Fury Wing on low tracks to see if it'd do the same thing, seeing as the 4D Wing acted like a ramp on low tracks in Standard.

I've experimented with it before, in my opinion, its really too hollow to do well on a low setup, but in this format without Basalt or Hell, everything changes. Tongue_out

I guess only testing will determine the answer. Tongue_out

As far as 4D bottoms go, has anyone thought about Libra or Earth BGrin for Stamina? I know it'd be lightweight (Earth) and BGrin is easyish to KO, but its just an idea, haha.
i was actually just think of that a few minutes ago, but Pegasus or gravity would kill earth and probaly libra. But it would be nice if we had some tests (especially with libra B : D)