Los Angeles Tournament Report: Revive Phoenix Down

First and foremost, a big thank you to the organizers for the event JoJo, ThaKingTai, and Alta. They came out to run the event on their own time on a hot and humid disgusting day in DTLA.  

I am pretty new to Beyblade and I got into it with my son who started watching the anime 6 months ago.  He is 6 and I am 40 (I know, I know, I am way way way too old).  It’s almost comical for me to read the thread on the WBO “am I too old for Beyblade?.”  There are a few Japanese Youtubers and bloggers like me though.  My goal is to help my son win a tournament.  

My son and I have been to 2 tournaments in LA.  I believe he went 3-2 in double elimination both times and I placed 2nd and 1st.  I don’t have notes or pictures so this is based on memory.  Due to my lack of experience and knowledge please excuse any glaring misinterpretations of the meta.  And remember my testing partner is 6yo.  And that we should both be considered bad at launching blade.  

Double elimination rounds:

I got through I think 4-0 using hS.OB.Br and aH.7.Et.  I chose luckily there.  As a matter of fact I chose luckily all day.  aH beats most things except to things on Br in my experience.  hs on Br loses to vW or bL in my opinion.  Rock-paper-Scissor relationship.  Because of how I read the meta, IMO hS on atomic, and rP are the balance types (more on rP later)

My son mostly used hS.0B.At.  He lost his first match with aH.7.Et to lS on Br and lost confidence in aH.  He might have done better sticking with aH but he decided to go with hS on At which was not a bad choice.

In the deck format I try to create Rock-Paper-Scissor in my own deck. I don’t have a lot of Beyblade experience but I did play a lot of TCG for over 25yrs competitively, especially MTG.  So I look at the  meta searching for the rock-paper-scissor (control-combo-beatdown) relationship.  So my desks consisted of these four combos:

aH.7.Et
hS.OB. Br
bL.10M.Jl or rP.10C.Octa
Mostly the level chip was on aH (really just for a little bit of weight) I really don’t see a major difference but I dunno for sure.  

Unfortunate I can’t remember much of my opponents deck in the quarter finals.  I think hS.0B.Br did most of the work for me.  

In the semifinals my opponent had aH on Et, hS on Br, and rP on ?.  I am not sure about the disks.  I was able to OS her hS with my hS.0B.Br to 3-0.  Then I believe she eventually switched aH and I OS that with hS again.  Then I can’t really remember.... I think she did play her rP and I was able to defeat it with my LC aH.7.Et at some point  This is all a little fuzzy to me unfortunately.  

In the finals my opponents deck had rP on At, hS on Br,     and ???.  Again, my memory fails me.  I do remember my aH.7.Et OS her hS on Br once!  Then we replayed and hS on Br beat my aH.7.Et like it should.  I eventually won with my rP.10C. Octa bouncing around and bursting her hS on Br.  

So my aH is defense, hS stamina, bL is attack.  rP is balance I guess.  rP was only really used to get lucky.  I only used it in the finals because I am bad at launching beyblades in general, but especially attack types.  I just wasn’t confident in my ability to properly use bL.  The randomness that is the revive armor gives you a chance against anything as long as it comes off. Maybe it is kind of too random?  It’s like coin flip abilities in TCGs.   

I think only bL on Jolt is an odd choice.  But my son and I were able to burst hS on Br consistently with bL on Jl.  It can randomly score a few KOs.  And on 10 disk bL doesn’t self burst that much.  I preferred it over bL on orbit which I could not get it to consistently beat hS.  I only really expected bL to beat hS on Br. tN on Ds would have worked here too but it is really light these days.  

So my deck strategy:

Start with aH, then just counter opposing combos.  Fight aH on Et with hS on Br, fight hS on Br with bL on Jl, and beat bL on Jolt with aH on Et.  rP was put in when I doubted myself.  I made rP as heavy as I could and just hoped for burst against hS on Br, random KO, or OS some attack types or by armor interference.  IMO revive armor can close the skill gap because it is so random. In retrospect, Octa may not be necessary.  Planet may be ok too.  Perhaps driver doesn’t matter.  May be a loose driver that sheds the armor quickly is actually best.  

In closing, I like to urge more parents to get in to play so I can be less embarrassed.  I doubt many parents will read this...  But when parents get into this it will definitely be better for this hobby.  They have bigger wallets after all.  Malaysia runs parent child tournaments which sounds awesome to me.  Trust me, Beyblade can be fun for any age group.
Thanks for the report!

It's interesting to read the perspective of a parent who has experience with competitive hobbies and is trying to help their son improve. You're definitely right on about Beyblade being fun for any age group. It seems that Beyblade is accepted more as a game like this in Asia, as I've noticed the same thing on my trips to Japan and talked about this specifically at the end of my latest report.

In Asia, both kids and their parents seem to take the game a lot more seriously as something that can be competitive. And generally speaking there's a lot more parents who are willing to invest their time to learn and play well themselves with their children.
I can’t speak for Asia in general but I have been to Japan and have friends who reside there. In Japan, toys, gaming, anime, and manga are just viewed differently than in the US.

I have discussed this with a Japanese ebay Beyblade seller who studied in the US and now resides in Japan. He and I both joked that TT’s secret sauce is to make a toy for children that is actually aimed for adults. His kids have outgrown beyblades but he has not. He started selling beyblades on ebay because he was buying so many of them.

Think about the Kirin Beyblade lottery set (sells on ebay for like $900). Kirin owns breweries.... I can’t even imagine a day where Hasbro would partner with Budweiser.
(Jul. 30, 2018  8:10 AM)Shindog Wrote: I can’t speak for Asia in general but I have been to Japan and have friends who reside there.   In Japan, toys, gaming, anime, and manga are just viewed differently than in the US.  

I have discussed this with a Japanese ebay Beyblade seller who studied in the US and now resides in Japan.  He and I both joked that TT’s secret sauce is to make a toy for children that is actually aimed for adults.  His kids have outgrown beyblades but he has not.  He started selling beyblades on ebay because he was buying so many of them.  

Think about the Kirin Beyblade lottery set (sells on ebay for like $900).  Kirin owns breweries....    I can’t even imagine a day where Hasbro would partner with Budweiser.

You're totally right. It applies to all of those things.

I'm not sure I'd say Beyblade is actually aimed at adults; it can be appealing to all-ages, really. It's natural for kids to outgrow their hobbies as they're still forming their personalities as they grow older more so than adults do. That being said, given the number of older participants in places like Asia, it does make me wonder why there isn't a slightly bigger effort even over there to cater their adult audience with things like an adult age division for their championships.  With the response to things like the World Championshp over here from kids over 13 who can't participate, and the mere fact that the WBO has existed for almost ten years, clearly there's an audience for it.

LOL yeah, that would never happen
Has Hasbro or TT ever approached the WBO to offer their support? Or some form of partnership? Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast works with and support many local shops and tournaments with Magic the Gathering.
(Jul. 30, 2018  9:41 PM)Shindog Wrote: Has Hasbro or TT ever approached the WBO to offer their support? Or some form of partnership? Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast works with and support many local shops and tournaments with Magic the Gathering.

TAKARA-TOMY hasn't. Hasbro we've approached (through their PR firm) several times ourselves in the past and they've provided prizes for various events and contests we've had over the years.
I see, that makes sense I guess. TT’s contract with Hasbro probably won’t allow them to do stuff like that in North America. After all, Hasbro wants to promote their beyblades.

I guess I just thought Hasbro would be doing more to promote things. I would expect their PR to come to you and not the other way around. WBO is like free PR for them. I mean the Magic pro tour has an annual purse of $250,000! Not much by esport standards these days but still... How about just 20% of that to support Beyblade tournaments in NA? How about full financial support to run Hasbro only tournaments partnering with WBO? This helps their cause I think. I will stop my crazy ranting now.
Awesome review + Awesome commentary. Goodnight ?
Awesome Report