Limited Tournament Report Thread

Kei suggested that I create this thread after posting my tournament report. This thread is strictly for posting about your experiences through Limited Format Tournaments. Do not post test results or stuff like that. To give a good idea of what a report/summary looks like here is my report from the first official Limited Format tournament.

(Dec. 07, 2013  11:49 PM)Thunder Dome Wrote: So one of the Scavenger Hunt Goals was to share your experience at a restricted tournament. To start things off I was a little worried about this event considering this was the first restricted tournament and everybody would be using new combos they made at home. In the fist match I played Beyben, who used Gravity Perseus AD145 WD (Gravity Perseus was pretty popular). I use MF-H Gravity Perseus B;D in right spin, assuming he would use left spin. My prediction was correct about him using Left Spin. I win round 1 and 2 by KOs and round 3 by OS (Current score 1-0). Next I play stupaoz. He ends using VariAres ED145? GCF (The Metal Fury VariAres was obviously the one used). I use MF-H Gravity Perseus B;D once again. I end up winning 3-0 or 3-1(I forgot full details). Now my current score is 2-0. Next my opponent was Stormscorpio1, this match would decide who would got to the finals. I knew he would be coming hard since I beat him in the match for 1st in BB-10 format. We both have the same idea and use attack. I used MF-H Graivty Preseus TR145 LRF, while he uses Screw ____ 100/90/85 LRF/R2F ( I really don't know much besides he was using Screw on a low track, with a spiky rubber tip). I end up winning 3-0 against him because he had a few self KO's and one time I KOed him (I believe). Current score 3-0 and going to the finals. Next in the finals I play TheBlackDragon. Expecting him to use a left spin I pull out a combo I made earlier in the week, Earth Cygnus TR145 BWD, but he actually uses Earth Cancer 85 WD. First round he wins by a very close OS. Next round I end up pulling of a KO by him knocking my top off balance and TR145 coming at him hard sideways. Next round I OS him. Finally my top lands on his and he is knocked out. 4-0. Finally I play Defstamia88, realizing if I lose we will have to do a tie breaker since TheblackDragon beat him. So he uses Gravity XD and I use MF-H Gravity Perseus TR145 LRF. I'm in left and he's in right. In round 1 he knocked me so hard I stay in the middle as he circles the stadium and lose due to him tornado stalling. Next few rounds I win all by KO (one might have been an OS, but I'm not positive). So I end a very fun tournament 5-0. It was a very good experience although I wished it counted for points. Also Attack is very good in this format, you can go pretty far with it in a event. I really think these tournaments should be done a lot because they added a bunch on fun and excitement. Thanks for making this an official format and I'm glad to be part of the first one (I believe).
Reports from "Jingle Beys Batman Smells" 12/7/13
Reports from "Limit Holdem" 12/15/13
Reports from "Frozen Heads" 12/15/13
Report's from "Revive the Games Fame" 12/15/13
Reports from 12/21/13 "Put Away Your Synchromes"
Reports from "An End of an Era" 8/24/14
Reports from NC Beybattle Revolution: TBR Qualifier
These were the results for the same limited format tournament Thunder Dome was in. The Listed events are in chronological order:

Round Robin Play:
-Using MF-H Meteo L-Drago TR145 EWD, I lost to Cosmic Sagittario ED145 XF 3-2. (Record 0-1)

-Using same combo, I won against MF-H Gravity Destroyer X : D (Attack Mode, S Tip) 3-0. (Record 1-1)

-Using same combo, I won against L-Drago Destructor (unsure of what the bottom was, but was not Attack type) 3-0. (Record 2-1)

Tiebreaker:
-Using Gravity Destroyer B : D (Counter Mode), I lost to MF-H Gravity Destroyer X : D (Attack Mode, XF Tip) 3-1.

-Using MF-H Meteo L-Drago TR145 EWD, I won against Cosmic Sagittario ED145 WF 3-2.

2nd Tiebreaker:
-Using MF-H Gravity Destroyer B : D (Attack Mode), I won against MF-H Gravity Destroyer X : D (Attack Mode, XF Tip) 3-1.

-Using MF-H Meteo L-Drago TR145 EWD, I won against Flame Bull 230 WD 3-0.

Finals:
-Using MF-H Gravity Destroyer X : D (Attack Mode, XF Tip), I lost to MF-H Gravity Destroyer TR145 R2F twice (3-1 VS TBD, 3-0 VS Thunder Dome).

Overall in the Limited format, I went 5-4.
(Dec. 08, 2013  5:57 PM)DefStamina88 Wrote: -Using same combo, I won against L-Drago Destructor (unsure of what the bottom was, but was not Attack type) 3-0. (Record 2-1)

PegasisUnited used Metal Fury L-Drago Guardian <insert low track here>CS

I was in the same block as DefStamina88 [again], so a few of these'll overlap:

Round Robin Play:
- Used MF-H Gravity Perseus (Stamina Ver./Defense Mode) X:D (XF Mode) in Right Spin against PegasisUnited's Metal Fury L-Drago Guardian <same low track>MF: Won

- Used MF-H Gravity Perseus (Stamina Ver./Defense Mode) X:D (XF & S Modes) in Left Spin against DefStamina's Gravity Perseus (Defense Ver./Counter Mode) B:D in Left Spin: Lost

- Used MF-H Gravity Perseus (Stamina Ver./Defense Mode) X:D (XF Mode) in Left Spin against TigeroftheWest's Metal Fury Cosmic Sagittario II ED145XF: Won

Block Tiebreaker 1:
- Used MF-H Gravity Perseus (Stamina Ver./Defense Mode) X:D (S Mode) in Left Spin against DefStamina's Gravity Perseus (Defense Ver./??? Mode) B:D in Left Spin: Won

- Used MF-H Gravity Perseus (Stamina Ver./Defense Mode) X:D (XF Mode) in Left Spin against TigeroftheWest's Flame Ionis 230WD: Lost

Block Tiebreaker 2:
- Used MF-H Gravity Perseus (Stamina Ver./Defense Mode) X:D (XF Mode) in Left Spin against TigeroftheWest's Metal Fury Cosmic Sagittario II ED145XF: Won

- Used MF-H Gravity Perseus (Stamina Ver./Defense Mode) X:D (XF & S Modes) in Left Spin against DefStamina's Gravity Perseus (Defense Ver./??? Mode) B:D in Left Spin: Lost (all the wall saves lol)

Overall, great tournament, super fun format; 10/10 would play again!
Any idea as to why people are using Cosmic on such a high spin track I seem to recall it working excellent very low much like Winged as well. No signs of Winged here?
(Dec. 08, 2013  7:49 PM)Coach Wrote: Any idea as to why people are using Cosmic on such a high spin track I seem to recall it working excellent very low much like Winged as well. No signs of Winged here?

You mean (Metal Fury) Wing? It hasn't been really tested in this format, yet.

Cosmic was shown to do well on high(er) tracks a while ago, in this format, it came back, haha.
No one used Pre-HWS Pegasus? Well that's a shame.
I just made an archive for reports in the OP so we can view older posts in the future.
@ Stars
Not many people had Pegasus, I believe Angry said he didn't want to use his because it was worn and TheBlackDragon didn't use his.
Pegasis isn't exactly severely hurt by wear, not much from this era is, as smash tends to come from the general shape of the wheel - larger slopes or large, rounded edges, rather than specific points or protrusions - another nice thing about limited, haha (and obviously the Chrome Wheels in the format will wear down slower, too).

Now I've played around with Gravity X: D and B: D and read about D125GCF I understand a lot better how the results came out - kudos to you particularly angryface (B: D isn't exactly creative, while on the other hand X: D never saw any serious use), as I'd not have thought to try it on that setup myself, and it works rather nicely aside from self KOing rather often. The results make a lot more sense to me now, anyway.
Report!!!

I used: MF-H Gravity Perseus TR145R2F (won against Gravity Perseus B : D, Lighting L-Drago 85R2F), MF-F Earth Cancer 85WD (lost to Earth Cygnus TR145BWD), MF-H Gravity Perseus CH120R2F (won against
Gravity Perseus (stamina ver.) X : D),
MF-H Gravity Perseus (stamina ver.) CH120EWD (won against Pirates Dragooon F230CF (Chrome up mode))

I've been to, eh, around 15 tournaments, and this was one of the most interesting ones yet! I love this format. The meta was pretty much perfectly balanced, with Defense taking down Attack, Attack taking down Stamina, and Stamina taking down Defense. The best part was, with no points on the line, I think people came out of their shells a little. We had multiple Attack vs. Attack matches, and overall the tournament was primarily played with aggressive combinations.

I feel like we've traveled back in time! The third block was having seriously intense competition, with multiple tie breakers and plenty of super close matchups. It was really fun, and the best part was, there was no Dragooon F230CF/BD145RDF!

I am really looking forward to the next limited event! I'm stocking up on more stuff... this format is probably in a draw with standard format (and maybe getting a little bit ahead) for my favorite way to play!
Today I went to Limit Holdem' in Maryland and I must say, I like the format.

I personally did bad, though I don't know how haha. My MF-M Duo Cygnus W145EWD got Koed by a Rock F230TB combo. What the hell. Then I played against a Screw attack combo with MF-H Gravity Perseus (Stamina Ver.) T125GCF and lost, 3-2. It was close, and I must say, I love that combo.

I did see a lot of Spin Steal via Meteo and Gravity, but it didn't seem too bad IMO. Considering we were all on a more of an experimental stage, I thought it was fun.

Gravity Perseus F230GCF/CF did seem to be a bit of a problem, but it does have counters.
From testing that doesn't surprise me, Duo seems to be really lightweight and therefore pretty eh defensively.

I still don't like one combo dominating so much, personally, even if it does have counters.
Yeah, I almost wouldn't use it for Stamina at all when I have options almost or just as good.

I mean that specific combo was only used by one or two people, so it isn't too bad.
I have said it before, but I really feel Rock was underrated back in the day and was never really given a lot of attention since Earth seemed to outclass it and then the inevitable release of Basalt. Hopefully with this format it will be able to show it's potential. I always had great results with Rock customs against the earlier MFB, so I am very much looking forward to being able to experiment with it again.

As for Duo, it has shown great results for Stamina in testing, but at the same time, I feel that this format is more balanced due to the weights. Lighter wheels are going to give Stamina types a higher chance of getting KO'd by attack types. So, I would not really worry too much about Duo, or any Metal Wheel for Stamina becoming dominant just yet anyways.

On another note, glad to see Screw getting some use in tourneys! Smile
A YEAR: The Month of Frozen Heads - 12/15/13 Report

My Match-ups/Results:
1. Kei vs. JesseObre: MF-L Gravity Perseus F230GCF vs. Meteo L Drago F230CF (3-0)
First BeyBattle of the tournament and this is what ended up happening haha. I had no idea what Jesse would use so I picked a safe bet. Meteo isn't horrible on F230, but the dual-spin capability, weight, and Attack potential of Gravity Perseus makes it superior. I believe I OSed once and KOed him twice.

2. Kei vs. Wally.web: MF-M Burn Cygnus W145EWD vs. Earth W145WD (3-1)
I saw what Wally.web was going to use so I chose something that undoubtedly had better Stamina. I lost the first round because I didn't launch powerfully enough.

3. Kei vs. LMAO: MSF-H Samurai Wyvang (Crystal Up Mode) H145RSF vs. MF Gravity Perseus D125CF (1-3)
I'll explain this combo later, but LMAO beat me pretty easily in this BeyBattle. There wasn't much I could do once he switched his spin direction to right, which made it more difficult for Wyvang to make contact.

4. Kei vs. HeavenKerbecs/The Sponge: MSF-H Samurai Wyvang (Crystal Up Mode) H145RSF vs. Screw WD145RF (3-2)
Almost lost this one because of this combos horrible Stamina, but I came through in the end with three KOs.

5. Kei vs. Pockyx3: MF-L Gravity Perseus (ATK) R145RF vs. Gravity Perseus R145RF (3-2)
I was originally thinking of using MF Libra D125RF (my CH120 isn't in good shape) because I was pretty certain that Pockyx3 would use an Attack type, but I wasn't confident in Libra's Stamina or it's ability to KO the Libra 230CS combo that he had been using, so I decided against it.

Somehow, rather than ending by KO, the first two rounds ended with my Gravity Perseus outspinning Pockyx3's. Pockyx3 doesn't have a BeyLauncher LR so he was stuck in left. I switched to right thinking that maybe it would make it easier for me to KO him, but I ended up losing round three by outspin. In round four I switched back to left-spin and we both self-KOed, but I went out a split second before he did. Round five, Pockyx3 self-KOed after we circled the stadium for several seconds.

6. Kei vs. MidnightLWBO: MSF-H Samurai Wyvang (Crystal Up Mode) H145RSF vs. Dragooon F230CF (3-1)
Won via KOs.

7. Kei vs. Daegor42: MF-L Gravity Perseus F230GCF vs. Sagittario 90RF (3-0)
Lol, I never know whether Daegor42 is going to be serious or not when he plays me, so I wasn't sure what to pick going into this one. Sagittario basically killed itself haha.

Finals:
8. Kei vs. JesseObre: MSF-H Samurai Wyvang (Crystal Up Mode) H145RSF vs. MF-H Gravity Perseus F230CF (3-2)
I was sure that Jesse would use Stamina, so I went with this combo. The F230CF match up is a bit difficult, and I would have preferred to have Wyvang on top because of the height difference, but it's still winnable if you know what you're doing. I went down 2-0 to start the BeyBattle and then won three straight rounds via KO to win the tournament. Jesse's reaction?: "WHHHHHYYYYYYYY? WWWWWWHYYYYYYYYYYY?! *falls to the ground and cries*". Hahaha. Hopefully I'll have the video up soon.

Overall Record: 7-1
(I'm missing details about some of my opponents combos, so they aren't entirely accurate)

Continued from Winning Combinations:
(Dec. 16, 2013  12:06 AM)th!nk Wrote: As for why no one really discussed it, I assume it's because few people testing in the subforum have orange F230's. There are a lot of good combinations and parts not seeing much discussion at this point. Early days, I guess.

Maybe, but I mean, it is a pretty obvious combo haha.

(Dec. 16, 2013  12:06 AM)th!nk Wrote: And on Gravity F230CF, what are those weaknesses? Attack? EWD?

Anything aggressive. Low Attackers might have problems with it, though. I haven't tested it's Stamina all that much to be honest, but it did almost lose to Daegor42's Ray D125WD at one point, whatever that means lol.

(Dec. 16, 2013  12:06 AM)th!nk Wrote: Also, MSF-H Wyvang Samurai H145RSF what is that what does it do and how does it do it

I wanted something vaguely similar to Wyvang Wyvang BD145RSF for Limited, so I made this.

Parts Selection:
MSF-H: I knew recoil would be a problem, so more weight was necessary. Also increases Spin Velocity, which is important for this combo.
Samurai: Clear version from Samurai Pegasis; it's the heaviest Crystal Wheel I own and the synergy isn't too bad with Wyvang either. I didn't want to use something really weirdly shaped either; Wyvang is powerful enough to do all of the heavy-lifting.
Wyvang: Heaviest Chrome Wheel as far as I know, and it's Smash is impressive.
H145: Wanted to be as aggressive as possible without using RF, so H145 seemed like a good choice. I also thought it might help against the low-Track Defense combos that everyone was talking about.
RSF: The speed of RF isn't necessary for this combo. Since it's main function is to KO Stamina combos, RSF provides more than enough movement to make that happen.

It's Stamina is absolutely pitiful (it can lose by OS to Attack), but it can KO pretty much anything from the informal testing that I've done with it. And yes, that includes low-Track RSF Defense combos. It's explosive and it isn't uncommon for it to KO both the opponent and itself, but it was consistent enough for me to give it a try at the tournament.

Playing against Attack can be a bit dicey if you can't make decent contact early on (and as a result, it has little chance against Gravity Perseus D125CF/GCF), but it isn't an impossible task. TH170+ height combos may give it some trouble especially if you're using Crystal Up Mode, but as is evidenced by my tournament results, facing off against one is certainly not a death sentence.

Based on my experience with it yesterday, I'm thinking that it may be wise to change the Track to something else like GB145 since I'm not sure if the longevity sacrificed by using H145 is worth the offensive ability it may or may not provide against lower Track combos.
Well, Daegor at least seems to have really got into the spirit I was hoping to see from Limited tournaments. Then again, he does that in regular, doesn't he?

Kei Wrote:Anything aggressive. Low Attackers might have problems with it, though. I haven't tested it's Stamina all that much to be honest, but it did almost lose to Daegor42's Ray D125WD at one point, whatever that means lol.
How well does it take hits from more aggressive defense types? I assume like most spin stealers weak launching takes care of libra, but if anyone has the parts for that and say Bakushin GB145RF, I'd be curious to see if it can survive that (as from my informal testing, bakushin seems quite capable of knocking out the other spin steal setups in limited). I still don't like that spin stealers do so well against all of defense and any stamina combo not using EWD, though. Uncertain

I'd also be curious to see if GCF couldn't be used to rectify that attack weakness using the old tornado stalling with maximum momentum thing that gravity d125gcf apparently does well. Might be worth giving that a shot, I guess, though if no one does, I'll do it when I eventually get a good f230.

Also, pocky used Libra 230CS? Libra is probably just below the line on things that can send that flying so I understand choosing not to use Libra RF against it (though I should give Libra GB145RF a shot against it some time), but honestly I played around with it and it was pretty awful. Libra doesn't have the stamina or defense on 230 to pull it off, especially with its underside being so recoily.

Kei Wrote:Weird Wyvang Combo Stuff

I've played around with RSF attack before and always found that RF's recoil control was a lot more useful than having stamina types come to you in the end, not to mention the added bonus of having a shot against defense.

I've been thinking about playing around with three-winged tracks and zero g wheels to see if they can't be used to rebalance them a little more, I'm hoping my divine chimera arrives today so I can play around with that with a track that actually has something resembling LAD (it doesn't help that I'm so limited in terms of the chrome wheels I have right now either, though), though testing it out with R145 is my little project for today (if it yields any results, I'll probably post a thread about it). Could be worth looking into with your combo, perhaps.
EDIT: On further testing, GB145 generally seems to hurt stamina more than a properly oriented R145 for my three chrome wheels. I'll post a thread tomorrow as I'm too tired to finish all the solo spins I want to include, but basically give R145 a shot, one of the orientations is usually terrible, the other is usually really good. Might manage to be the best of both worlds for your purposes.
EDIT 2: Didn't post a thread as while my theory seems correct, as there seems to be little in the way of a pattern to what works best. GB145 does seem to worsen imbalances more than R145 though (perhaps because they cause its balls to return to the centre more lategame due to wobbling???) so give R145 or TR145 a shot in either orientation.

Lastly,

(Dec. 17, 2013  3:50 AM)Kei Wrote: I went down 2-0 to start the BeyBattle and then won three straight rounds via KO to win the tournament. Jesse's reaction?: "WHHHHHYYYYYYYY? WWWWWWHYYYYYYYYYYY?! *falls to the ground and cries*". Hahaha. Hopefully I'll have the video up soon.

You're a cruel, cruel man, Kei.
[Mumbai, India] 15/12/2013 Revive The Game's Fame! Report
We had a total of 11 bladers.....
In this tourney many were using gravity combos,earth combos, no lightning combos were used.. I personally used MFH screw striker 90 MF and MF earth aquario 230 CS... although i had gravity
Top 3 winners used these in their battles.. first place => Gravity Perseus ED145 MF & Earth Bull 230 CS second place => Gravity destroyer B:D and the third place winner used => Gravity destroyer R145CS..
Gravity B:D seemed to work well and dominated many battles , and meteo spin stealers, like always took a long time to complete battles, i remember someone who used gravity combo (attk ver.), that too did well
IMO this was a fair battle/format as it was all balanced.. almost all guys had competitive parts. There were around 6 new bladers, they enjoyed it, although not all liked this format, since they could not use all their beys..
[Mumbai, India] 15/12/2013 Revive The Game's Fame! Report
We had lot of fun and we were 11 bladers.
in this tourney i mostly used Gravity Destroyer Attack Version and Meteo L-Drago 105EWD/WD
and most Bladers used Destroyer's combo, i remember that one toughest match with me was gravity destroyer B:D vs my bey Meteo L-Drago 105EWD , and the best blader in my opinion was the one who was using Gravity Destroyer B:D , the top three were using 1st= Gravity Destroyer ED145 MF, 2nd= Gravity Destroyer B:D, 3rd = gravity destroyer R145CS.
All bladers were playing good and all had competitive parts , and when i or some other blader was using Meteo L-Drago spin steal it took much time to finish that match. so i was getting bore
All the way i liked Limited format.
But my Friend who came with me does not like this format cause he could not use his all good parts.
i met new bladers.
it was fun and i liked this format.
(Dec. 17, 2013  5:12 PM)ashton pinto Wrote: [Mumbai, India] 15/12/2013 Revive The Game's Fame! Report
We had a total of 11 bladers.....
In this tourney many were using gravity combos,earth combos, no lightning combos were used.. I personally used MFH screw striker 90 MF and MF earth aquario 230 CS... although i had gravity
Top 3 winners used these in their battles.. first place => Gravity Perseus ED145 MF & Earth Bull 230 CS second place => Gravity destroyer BGrin and the third place winner used => Gravity destroyer R145CS..
Gravity BGrin seemed to work well and dominated many battles , and meteo spin stealers, like always took a long time to complete battles, i remember someone who used gravity combo (attk ver.), that too did well
IMO this was a fair battle/format as it was all balanced.. almost all guys had competitive parts. There were around 6 new bladers, they enjoyed it, although not all liked this format, since they could not use all their beys..

Did everyone think RF was banned or something?

As for some of them not liking it, it may be worth explaining to them that other people might not like playing tournaments where all of their parts are horribly outclassed, too, and at least in Limited most people will have something that works well. Though obviously you'd probably want to host standard format events as well if possible, haha.

As for spin stealers being boring, I very much agree but I don't think others will consider that or their dominance over non-EWD (maybe all, in the case of F230??) Stamina and Defense quite enough to nerf/remove them (basically banning F230, B: D and EWD), but I'll mention it in the banlist update proposal I'm working on.
So, my first limited tournament was rather... interesting, haha. In my first match, I used MSF-H Dark Knight Wyvang DF105LRF against Christinalove554(Round Shell MS), and I won 3-0 because she used Gravity Perseus F230GCF. Then, the next round I went with Stamina against Wyatt V2, my combo was Scythe Cancer SR200TB. Weirdly, when I faced Oddity, he used Dark Knight Saramada DF145SD and I used MSF-H Dark Knight Wyvang DF105LRF and he won 3-2. Other than that, there was some Burn 230CS, and Earth on CS. It was really fun and I hope to do it again!
(Dec. 17, 2013  3:50 AM)Kei Wrote: 6. Kei vs. MidnightLWBO: MSF-H Samurai Wyvang (Crystal Up Mode) H145RSF vs. Dragooon F230CF (3-1)
You know you only one that match because I was having F230 problems Tongue_out
(Dec. 22, 2013  2:06 AM)MidnightLWBO Wrote:
(Dec. 17, 2013  3:50 AM)Kei Wrote: 6. Kei vs. MidnightLWBO: MSF-H Samurai Wyvang (Crystal Up Mode) H145RSF vs. Dragooon F230CF (3-1)
You know you only one that match because I was having F230 problems Tongue_out

Yeah, but I won via KOs so it never got to the point where that would matter! Tongue_out
AFAIK... many were scared to use attackers, so no RF, and i had told all of the guys about the banned parts a million times !! so that couldn't be a excuse that they didnt know ..
As for B D and stuff, they were dominating, people prefered gravity very much for spin steal. ..
next time if ever i host, ill go for the standard format, as per their demands.. coz not many liked the format
Smile
EDIT: recalled a statement its was kinda "i dont want to take risks at the tournament" risk = no attackers Eee .. and another who said its no fun without attackers, so i will take risk , but well he didn't use any attackers .....
[Niles, Illinois] 12-21-13, Put Away Your Synchromes report.

This was a lot of fun, as everyone experimented at least a little bit. There were supposed to be 16 people, but we just barely got 8. There was a surprising lack of Gravity, and either almost no or no Lightning. No Meteo was used either. There was, however, lots of Earth.

I used Burn Sagittario 230MF twice, going 1-1 with that. Just for fun, I used Aquario 100GCF once, and lost that match. The rest of the time I believe I used Earth Bull 90WD, which I went 2-2 with. There were a lot of Zero-G beys used, Wyvang and Orojya mainly, if I remember correctly.

I can't remember what everyone used, but I know Scout25 used MF Earth Bull 90WD the whole time, and placed first.

Overall, this was a lot of fun, and a wide range of combos were used. This was a very fun tournament, and I love the limited format!
This isn't exactly a "tournament report", but here's the BeyChannel Video for A YEAR: The Month of Frozen Heads: