How To Make Good Posts and Not Get Warned: A Guide to the WBO!

In my time here, I notice a lot of new members continually make the same mistakes while posting. I've written a guide on how to make good posts and avoid warnings, for newcomers (though it may help some people who are already here, too).

Even if you just read the Fifteen Points themselves, you should be okay, but reading it all will help a LOT more.

Translations/Other Languages: Italiano Thanks, B l u e!!

Anyway:
Quote:
How to make good posts and not get warned: A guide to the WBO

1. READ YOUR WELCOME PM.
-It'll be the first PM you received.
-It answers almost everything. If you don't read it, expect to get warned. A lot.
-If there's one thing you should take away from this guide, this is it.
-It'll tell you where to post, find info, and so many other useful things.
-Seriously. Read It. And the links in it. One of them links to THE RULES. Unsurprisingly, you NEED to read them.

2. Don't make that thread you're about to make!
-Probably the way most new users get warned. Asking a Moderator is a good way to check if it's worthwhile (and be patient waiting for the reply, they get hundreds of PM's each day), but generally you shouldn't need to make a thread for anything for quite a while.
-We probably already have a thread for it anyway.
-Read Posting Test Results, especially if you plan to post a combo in the customization forum.

3. Don't ask for/complain about the lack of tournaments in your area.
-Our tournaments are run by our members, not our staff.
-No one in your area running one? Demonstrate understanding of the rules, get a stadium, and do it yourself.
-Can't be bothered? That's why there are no tournaments in your area. Stop complaining.

4. Don't give advice to others until you've been here long enough to know the correct answers!
-You'll end up misleading them, and being warned/yelled at.
-There are plenty of people who have read and tested everything, and they will answer the question in good time. As nice as wanting to help is, leave it to the experts :)
-You won't be knowledgeable enough until you've been here for a while. There's no need to help people, so chill out, and learn first, you'll be surprised what you don't know!
-This includes recommending combos, too. Leave it to the experts, no matter how well your beys work for you :)

5. Don't ask/answer a question that's been asked/answered before.
-Check the Beywiki, relevant articles, search the forum and the relevant threads (this includes BOTH question and answers threads) first. Yeah, it's a bit of work. I'll have a simpler guide to finding info up soon :)
-Experienced users will tell you to search for repeat questions instead (and maybe report your post). This is forum policy, and one that you should also follow when answering questions.
-This is all because you're not the only person asking repeat questions. We are asked the same common questions anywhere from 5-50 times a day. Understandably, we get tired.

6. ALWAYS Read the First Post of a thread before replying.
-The first post usually lays out the thread rules. It is extremely important that you read these.
-Try and read the last few pages too, and to search the thread to see if what you're going to post has been mentioned before (especially when posting "news" or the like).

7. Don't post unless it's worthwhile.
-This is in the rules, but so many new users make the mistake, it warrants repeating.
-For your first month or so, don't post unless absolutely necessary. Take the time to read and learn first. Feel free to introduce yourself and use the "Build me a combo" thread, of course.
-Check the date of any threads/posts you reply to before posting. Don't reply to anything that's more than a month or so old unless it's crucial to do so. Same goes for threads, if no one has replied for a month, it's generally not worth reviving.
-Do not reply to spam bots, or threads. Just report them and let the mods take care of it. Again, it's a rule, but most people forget it.

8. Make the effort to use correct spelling and grammar.
-This is probably the easiest way to get people to like you here. It makes you sound smarter and lets us read your posts easily. We appreciate it. :D
-Suck at spelling? Install a spell checker in your browser (most come with it, if not, get a better browser).
-Can't do that? Write your replies in a program that has spell check (Microsoft Word, generally), and copy/paste it over when you're done.

9. Speaking of good browsers, don't use Internet Explorer.
A recent version causes double posting on the WBO. IE sucks anyway, so get Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera Browser. They all come with spell check. Apple's Safari browser also includes this feature. Internet Explorer doesn't.

10. NEVER disable your Private Messages.
-If you did, you can re-enable them in your settings:
-To Re-Enable your Private Messages (Click to View)

11. Do not argue with Moderators or Advanced Members
-Mods are distinguished by their blue usernames. Most current and ex-moderators will have the Face of Soul ([Image: faceofsoul.png]) so look out for them, too.
-They ARE correct (EDIT: Mostly), and they DO know more than you (EDIT: Mostly), that's why they're in charge. It's a tough job, don't make it tougher on them.
-Advanced members have italicised names. Only the most intelligent users become Advanced Members, so if you're unsure about something they've posted, it's usually best to PM them and ask instead of arguing. Just remember to be polite
-Arguing with Mods is one of the quickest ways to get warned. Just accept it and bite your tongue.

12. If you need to argue something, do so via PM's
-Do not derail the thread for an argument that is only slightly relevant.
-As hard as it is to not respond publicly, suck up your pride, and message them without replying in the thread.
-If you believe the argument is totally relevant to the thread's topic, then you may respond in the thread. Just use common sense. If it's gone on for more than a couple of posts, it's best to take it to PM no matter how relevant it is.
-Make sure to take all the other rules into account alongside this.
-Calling someone "mean" for criticising your post is never relevant to the thread.

13. BE HUMBLE.
-You're not smarter than a community of bladers testing everything in painstaking detail.
-Odds are you are not the best beyblader in the world. The only people that can claim this are humble enough not to rub it in people's faces.
-Yeah, hard truth, but it needs to be said. Sorry :(

14. Remember, the WBO is a professional organisation.
-This is why we may seem strict at first. We have to maintain our standards as a sanctioning body.
-Plus, we're all sick of seeing the same bad posts made hundreds of times each day.

15. Did I mention that Welcome PM?
-Because seriously, it's probably more important than this guide.

By getting this far, you're already well on your way to being a successful member of the WBO! Good job!

-th!nk.

Notes for Mods/Critics/Those Who Welcome People in the "Introduce Yourself" Forum (Click to View)
Wow, you finally pulled it off, th!nk! Great job! If I were to make an adjustment, in article 3, I would put the link to the "Event Proposals" Forum for the new people that want to host their own official WBO tournament. Then, in article 9, I would add Safari as a good internet browser as well, because I use Safari and it has spell check as well.
Most new users will need to learn some more before they're ready to post an event.

As for Safari, it's not really up to the same standard as the others, but I'll list it.

And before anyone asks, I'm working on the Re-Enabling PM's info now, I figure it'll save questions.
Great guide bro. Everyone needs to read this new or not.
Okay, subsection on re-enabling PM's added.

Only thing I'm worried about is the length, but yeah.

Hero: Thanks man. Hope everyone is as positive about it as you Tongue_out
nice guide th!nk really helpful guide .here r some more tips u must add in op for not getting warning which i got cause of misunderstanding

1. if there is a message instead of ur sig that ur sig has been removed u must not keep repeating that thing again and again u will get a warning

2. if someone says that u r wrong or such things just appologize for that and continue ur further arrgument using pm's else u will start a fight and create lots of useless post and get warned
Number one is covered in the rules, which I'll add a link to (also linked to in the welcome PM).

Number two: Yeah, I'll add something about that once I work it out.

Just wondering, as you often greet people in the "Introduce Yourself" forum, could you link to this along with your usual image? It'd be super cool Smile
Thanks for taking the time to make this, th!nk. I think it's really informative, and if new users actually read this, it could benefit them and us. Smile Again, my sincere thanks.
(Jul. 18, 2011  5:27 PM)th!nk Wrote: Number one is covered in the rules, which I'll add a link to (also linked to in the welcome PM).

Number two: Yeah, I'll add something about that once I work it out.

Just wondering, as you often greet people in the "Introduce Yourself" forum, could you link to this along with your usual image? It'd be super cool Smile

I've got it covered, if you don't mind.
Thanks everyone for your kind words! I'm really glad to see everyone likes this, I umm'd and ahh'd for a while before hitting the "post" button.

@Futumos: If you're gonna welcome everyone, go for it. Won't restrict or hold anyone to posting this, because I'd rather just see it in every thread Tongue_out I appreciate the intention, of course Tongue_out

XLR8's suggestion about taking arguments to PM has been done. Now we've got a nice Fifteen Points! Grin
(Jul. 18, 2011  5:06 PM)th!nk Wrote: Most new users will need to learn some more before they're ready to post an event.

As for Safari, it's not really up to the same standard as the others, but I'll list it.

And before anyone asks, I'm working on the Re-Enabling PM's info now, I figure it'll save questions.

yes i can do this recently i pmed kai-v about something using which we can gather gfx creators if she approves my idea i will going to work on it and post it there

and thanks for adding 15th point
I hope that Kai-V, or any of the other mods won't give ME a warning for posting on almost every thread on the "Introduce Yourself" Forum. That would bite.
It would. Just post it on new threads as they're created, and I'm sure you'll be fine.
Nice guide Th!nk Joyful_2. You are really cool Grin.
Nice, when I welcome new users, I'll be sure to guide them here. Looks time consuming, th!nk, and it seems to be worth it.
Yeah, I spent a while on it, and got a couple of peoples feedback before posting.

I certainly hope it'll be worthwhile Tongue_out

Thanks guys Smile
Nice guide, I'm hoping people will actually read this.
Thanks. It has the advantage over the intro PM of actually being linkable, so I'm guessing that'll help. Tongue_out

It's a lot easier for newbies to click a link than to find the inbox and click the right message, after/if they've understood what people mean by "read your introductory PM". Should hopefully help a little, though I doubt it'll make a truly noticeable difference, IMO even a small improvement is an improvement.
really good guide th!nk
it think you nned to mension something about looing at the date of the post before your to stop necros
Yeah, I was thinking about that. Don't want to make it too long, so I'll look at including it as a note somewhere when I figure out where. Smile

Edit: Added under the "don't post unless neccessary" point Smile
Thank u for making this thrad. I believe this will help with new users and everything.
Nice work and nice idea.
It's long but extremely informative. Keep up the good work! I wish we had this when I first started. But anyways, I feel as though only people who are serious about learning more will read this. So those small kids won't. We should explain this in a video, it captures kids more.
People need to learn to check the dates of the last post before they post.
Scroll down to the latest post then look at the date above it. To make it worse, what they wrote had nothing to do with the thread itself.
(Jul. 18, 2011  7:01 PM)poseidon Wrote: really good guide th!nk
it think you nned to mension something about looing at the date of the post before your to stop necros
(Jul. 18, 2011  8:41 PM)Coasters "R" Us Wrote: People need to learn to check the dates of the last post before they post.
Scroll down to the latest post then look at the date above it. To make it worse, what they wrote had nothing to do with the thread itself.
Poseidon already mentioned that.
Already in there, and bolded.

(Jul. 18, 2011  8:16 PM)Taiwo Seigi Wrote: It's long but extremely informative. Keep up the good work! I wish we had this when I first started. But anyways, I feel as though only people who are serious about learning more will read this. So those small kids won't. We should explain this in a video, it captures kids more.

I'm hoping they'll manage to read the 15 tips at least, as I said in the OP.

Feel free to use this for the video or whatever, though.