Gundam Models

I may cosider getting the RX-0, but I will get Avalanche Exia from Ben first! Grin And how many people are 00 fans?
I have almost 30+ boxes of backlog. I keep buying them but I just cant find the time to build!! hahaha.
^ Jealous... xD

Im currently watching the original Mobile Suit Gundam. Cheesy music and fight scenes and all... Grin
My favourite series are definitely the original series and those relating to it and Seed. I haven't ventured into the content outside of the two series for seed though. The ones from which the astray series of gundams are from for those that don't know.
(Oct. 27, 2011  5:29 PM)Galaxy Jay Wrote: I may cosider getting the RX-0, but I will get Avalanche Exia from Ben first! Grin And how many people are 00 fans?
their Gundams looks fashinable..but i cant really understand the story lol...with the Celestial Being..i find its more comlicated story than Seed/Seed Destiny..
anyway..my friend got a Master Grade Crossbone Full Cloth..its freaking awesome..many weapons..i helped him to build it.. Wink

I like 00 better. Just watch all the episodes again, and read the gundam wikia. Its been updated from characters to mobile suit specification to episode summaries!
As far as plot and anime goes, Gundam Wing takes the cake by far.

Just finished my MG Astray Red Frame.
(Will edit this post with pictures)
can any of yas tell me if theres any good gundams id be able to find in jakarta (mostly from the 00 series)?
Zabanya
Brave Commander Type
Masurou
Reborns Cannon/ Gundam
thanks Galaxy Jay, hoipefully they will sell exia but if not im probably gonna get cammander or reborn cannon gundam
Currently painting my 1/144 HGUC GM since it comes it a real wierd colour which isn't even close to what it should be. What's even more wierd is that with all the other HGUC GM variants they were molded in the proper colours. It makes no sense! Anyway when I finish that which will probably on Thursday/Friday i'll take some pics to show you guys my amazing painting skills. I'll probably take some pics of the other gundams in my collection. Also I was wondering if anyone here has used Tamiya extra thin cement to get rid of seem lines on gundam models? Is it easy to use? I got the thin cement version and it didn't work at all so i'm gonna get the extra thin off ebay at some point and I wanted to here if anyone had anything bad to say about it?
The thin one is a lot easier to use, especially since you're working on HGUC units which are smaller than most MG kits.

Normal version requires you to apply it on both sides whereas the thin version just requires a small gap which you let it leak into. Remember to do it portion by portion and not the whole piece. I think its okay if you not paint over white parts since after you file, the aftermath of the cement wont show. But other than that, you need to paint over them. Topcoat is a MUST else it will get ugly when it yellows. Remember to NOT file or remove access plastic until it completely cures. Having some kind of peg to hold the pieces in place would help. Sometimes the 2 pieces would come off even before its done curing.

There are a couple of youtube vids on how to apply modelling cement. I prefer using the thin one but I have the normal one just in case. The only massive difference is that the normal tamiya cement is a lot more corrosive.
Well I finished my HGUC GM and painted it's now anyway. The thing that would have helped with the cement thing(since I tried and failed with the normal type) is if there were any guides on the normal version. I could literally find nothing on it yet there were a million for the extra thin version. NVM when I feel like it i'll take picks of my painted GM.
Currently working on my RG Zaku II Char Custom. Going quite nicely with panel lining, but the thing is that when trimming burrs I only use my hobby knife, but obviously the marks stay. I just dont feel confident about using files/sandpaper. I tried using a file I got from a kit, but the result was just a mess of scratches. Maybe I would need more grit papers, or some coat/paint?
I will be uploading some pics, and several videos on my building progress.
I used sanding sticks that had multiple grits.

I sanded every bit my MG Unicorn Gundam to the point that it was ridiculously polished and shiny without paint.

Wish I didn't spend the money I did on Gundams (I bought a total of 3. HG Throne, MG Crossbone Gundam Ver Ka, MG Unicorn Gundam). Confused

EDIT: use nail clippers to clip the parts out of the runner frames. be sure to clip it as far away from the part as possible.

clipping it really closely or using a hobby knife to cut the part from the runner really closely puts stress on the part, which is shown by a whitening of said area. if your part is already white that's not much of a big deal, but it shows up in colored (like red) parts

EDIT 2: once clipped off the frame, use sanding tools to wear that nub down.
The actual best way to deal with Flash is to purchase a pair of hobby nipper clippers, which are flat on one side so you get a perfectly flush clip. There will still be flash, but to have a genuinely professional model, you must sand it down with gradients of sandpaper(starting at fine and working to ultra fine), then paint it.

Beauty has a high cost, in both money and time.
Spent like 50 hours on my Unicorn Gundam

wish i could get that time back
Hm, i guess im not that worried about stress marks...
But when I get onto my next one (Granddaddy of Gundams, hint hint) Im probably gonna try filing, but my current file (from the Revell Model Set Plus) kinda doesnt go all the way...
Any links for cheap grits? Or rather, which range of grits should I get?
You're bound to be near an Arts and Crafts store that sells sanding kits.

I think that's where I got mine, anyway..
My Gundams:
Som epic SD Gundam with a bow/crossbow/swords (SO AWESOME!)
1/144 Gundam Astray Red
1/144 Gundam Astray Blue
1/144 Blitz Gundam
Gundam Marker Thin Black (2x, one is shot)
Gundam Marker Thin Gray
Gundam Marker Gold
Gundam Marker yellow
Gundam Marker Silver

My bro's Gundams:
HG 1/144 Trailblazer (he broke the sword handel and it's missing the hand cover for the sword!)
HG 1/100 Gundam Deathsythe Hellcustom
HG 1/144 Delta Plus
1/144 Destiny Gundam
Some epic SD Gundam with a Pole Arm (Also so very AWESOME but incredibly hard to detail!)

See, at 1st I was (poorly) detailing all my plastic kits with a Gundam thin Black Marker, then i realized that the contrast was to much between the white parts and the black marker, but I thought to myself, "thats because you suck and the guys who make the Gundams on the box dont" Then I found out about the gray marker, and now i am redoing all my Zoids and Gundam kits =(

I actualy messed up my 1st black gundam marker, to make things worse for myself. Now I have to find a way to get rid of crappy smudges and redo all the panel linning! The worst part is, I always forget to pick up a Thin Brown marker and Gundam Marker eraser when i go to my supplier...
(Dec. 17, 2011  7:45 PM)bugturtles Wrote: Wish I didn't spend the money I did on Gundams (I bought a total of 3. HG Throne, MG Crossbone Gundam Ver Ka, MG Unicorn Gundam). Confused

You don't have a big enough collection to be allowed to say that Serious You have to have at least 5.
I disagree, he already owns 2 MGs. Hell, my brother and I combined own a few Gunpla, but we havent even dared to get an MG yet because of how much one costs. I would love to get my hands on an MG kit soon though.

I know nothing about the anime, I just like Gundams for the kits. The 2 things I have never liked about Gundam is thier somewhat lack of uniqueness between certain models, and how once a Gundam is built, it is almost impossible to take it apart without breaking a peg or something. On the rerverse side of the argument, some Gundams are crazy awesome, and it is good to know how sturdy they are.
(Dec. 18, 2011  1:33 AM)Ultrablader Wrote:
(Dec. 17, 2011  7:45 PM)bugturtles Wrote: Wish I didn't spend the money I did on Gundams (I bought a total of 3. HG Throne, MG Crossbone Gundam Ver Ka, MG Unicorn Gundam). Confused

You don't have a big enough collection to be allowed to say that Serious You have to have at least 5.

Spent around $100 until I realized that I can probably pay the same amount of money for pre-built models that will collect dust on my shelf.

would have liked MG Sazabi and THE-O, though (and a Kotobukiya Molga Cannonry and Genosaurer), since big bulky mechs are kinda my thing
The anime is great. Anyone who has model gundams should watch the anime at least once. There's loads to chose from. On that note has anyone been watching the new gundam AGE? I haven't but the G-Exes mobile suit from it looks really cool.
I heard of a new anime coming out correct? With a Gundam Unicorn Banshee? That i might watch, if therd is an english dub. Who dubs (has dubbed) the Gundam animes/OVAs/Movies for the US? Ocean? Funimation?

I do remember watching some of the original Gundam on Toonami back in the day, along with Zoids and some futuristic racing anime (name escapes me at the moment) From what I rememeber, it was really good.

My lack of Zoids as of late has lead me to the world of Gunpla, and I am very fond of the franchise now too. To make matters worse for my wallet, I really like Evangelion now to after watching the anime remake (didnt see the original)
BTW I have played Gundam Dynasty warriors 1 and 2, and I own 3; I LOVE IT! The only problem is that the game's barley-existant story line is super confusing for someone who knows nothing about the anime though...in other words, the story element of it is very unfriendly to non-avid gundam anime watchers. that and, the game gets very repatitive, but thats ok because destroying thousands of weaker mecha at once is so cool =)