General Writing Thread

Hm...hey people! I need some advice on this plot I'm having. (I solemnly PROMISE that I won't ditch this half-way through. This will be my first official finished story that is when it is done. Tongue_out)

Note that this is only the plot idea. It is not yet developed fully.

Well, it's about an Egyptian boy who of course lives in Egypt. Some "modern" army like SWAT comes around and destroys EVERYTHING. The boy along with a friend travels around the world, searching for the "keys" to restore the broken village. The keys are hidden in each of the tombs of each of the gods in the Egyptian Mythology.

Blah, blah blah. As I said, it's only the idea.
I think that he collected some bey pats in those tombs, and restore the village.

That will be really epic, hah.

Anyway, what kind of music will you listen to while you're writing or doing else?
I listen to Coldplay or generally depressing and slow music. Don't ask, it just gives me motivation.

Okay guys, so more questions from me. Grin How do you guys feel about killing your characters; specifically the protagonist?

For some reason, I do like killing my characters in my stories. No, I'm not a masochistic (?) person, but to me, I feel like it adds a sense of drama and mystery in the story. And in the real world, not everyone succeeds, so making them die unnacomplished adds, I guess, realism to the story...?
(Sep. 13, 2011  8:45 PM)NoodooSoup Wrote: I listen to Coldplay or generally depressing and slow music. Don't ask, it just gives me motivation.

Okay guys, so more questions from me. Grin How do you guys feel about killing your characters; specifically the protagonist?

For some reason, I do like killing my characters in my stories. No, I'm not a masochistic (?) person, but to me, I feel like it adds a sense of drama and mystery in the story. And in the real world, not everyone succeeds, so making them die unnacomplished adds, I guess, realism to the story...?

I think killing off characters when needed is a good thing, but not just cutting them out half way without any build-up. And I think that the protagonist, if he does die, he dies near the end of the story.
Normally, you kill off a character when they're development holds back other character's development indefinitely. I do it every once in a while, even killing off a major character in "Andromeda 108" because of this exact reason. But don't do it too often.
(Sep. 13, 2011  11:40 PM)Kinetic Wrote:
(Sep. 13, 2011  8:45 PM)NoodooSoup Wrote: I listen to Coldplay or generally depressing and slow music. Don't ask, it just gives me motivation.

I think killing off characters when needed is a good thing, but not just cutting them out half way without any build-up. And I think that the protagonist, if he does die, he dies near the end of the story.

Yeah, obviously, not making it seem incomplete.
(Sep. 03, 2011  1:03 AM)Temporal Wrote: Oh! I bet nobody guesses who wrote this:

"The world is but a stage; the men and women merely players" One of my favorite quotes.

Hah, nobody knows? I can't give any hints, that's give it away. All I can say is that s/he's freakin' FAMOUS as HELL.
I will use my holy Google powers! *symphony of angels play*

I feel like an idiot for not knowing that ._. Shame on me Unhappy

Note: I'm not really good with associating quotes with people. Ever.
...Hah, that's not a guess, silly! Anyway, I just had to read "As You Like It" last year. It wasn't bad. Oedipus Rex was better, but no complaints here. Also, the symphony reminds me of Akihisa's special attack from Baka Test. "Sigma Striker V!" Always gets the answer to a test KINDA right. (Or it leads the whole group to Himenji's cooking. End of life.)

Has anyone read the "Chaos Walking" series? Or Maximum Ride?
I've heard reviews of Maximum Ride, and they're pretty good. But like always, I have yet to read it. Uncertain
READ. ASAP. Also, find the Chaos Walking series. It's pretty awesome. (And it makes you cry/think/laugh/scratch your head/go "Wait...AW, I shoulda seen that coming!"/ go "Wait, huh? Oh, yeah, they DID already mention it.")
MAXIMUM RIDE FTW. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. YES! Great series, good characters and great plot. It's awesome, because JP didn't originally intend to make it a series. It was supposed to be one book, but people liked it so much he came up with a whole plot and made the series.
Thanks, I haven't been reading anything lately and needed something to do. I'm trying to stray away from more "mainstream" stuff, like the Hunger Games and such.
HEY! Hunger Games is EPIC. Rue, for the win.
SPOILER ALERT.

(Sep. 14, 2011  1:54 AM)Sparta Wrote: MAXIMUM RIDE FTW. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. YES! Great series, good characters and great plot. It's awesome, because JP didn't originally intend to make it a series. It was supposed to be one book, but people liked it so much he came up with a whole plot and made the series.

Me no likey Angel, to sound like Max II when she feels like annoying the Flock. Iggy, however, is awesome.

Spoiler Alert
I know it's a good book, but with the movie coming out and such, it's become a bit too mainstream. Plus, I know mostly everything that happens, because of Wikipedia.
Oh, yeah. At least it's not (Ugh.) Twilight *shudder*. I'll keep you posted on any books I find that are cool. (*cough* The Knife of Never Letting Go, Book One of the Chaos Walking series *cough*) A man without privacy is a man unfiltered. A man unfiltered is chaos walking.

Anyways, BEYBLADER POTTER'S SIG! It has a character from the BEST PARODY/SCHOOL LIFE MANGA/LIGHT NOVEL SINCE Haruhi and Lucky Star! Setokai no Ichizon. For the win.
Hrm, I've sorta had a story idea in mind for a few months now, but took some time to perfect it today and I think I have a basis. ANyone want to hear it?

125 years from now, the government will come out with a programming helmet. When you turn 18, you get to use the helmet. When used, you choose a superpower you most desire and the data for it will be downloaded. If it requires such, scientists will amputate you and preform the necessary adjustments. For some reason, to 17 year old Jason Wreys, the system is unappealing. He has never wanted anything other then his boring, average family life. However, after stumbling upon the factory one week before his 18th birthday, he accidentally discovers the truth about the system: it is a mind control device, used to turn any user into a perfect citizen. In the process, it steals the persons will, energy, and emotions, replacing them with what the governments idea of "Perfect" is. He comes to a crossroad-the mind control is exactly what he wishes everyone to be like, but he also believes people have the right to make their own choices. Now, Jason must try to face up to the system, the government, the nation-and his beliefs.

Well I had an idea for story, do you want the proper description? ok then:

During his 18th birthday Jay Cryser realises something is missing in his life, however he doesn't remember what it is. However when he starts seeing flashes of another dimension he leaves his normal life to search for his missing memories. On his way he learns about a Covert Group called Paladin Gamma, which has a sinister secret. Paladin Gamma has been experementing on random children from all over the world, injecting them with a fluid called 'Proto-9' trying to find the next strongest warrior, to stop the invasion of a inter-dimensional army from destroying planet earth. However when Proto-9 is injected into the body of Ash Lataer it goes terribly wrong, sending him into a beserker state and joining the inter-dimensional army. Jay soon realises he also was injected with Proto-9 and has supernatural abilities, at a cost. each time he uses them the more likely he is to losing his mind.
(Sep. 14, 2011  7:44 PM)Sparta Wrote: Hrm, I've sorta had a story idea in mind for a few months now, but took some time to perfect it today and I think I have a basis. ANyone want to hear it?

125 years from now, the government will come out with a programming helmet. When you turn 18, you get to use the helmet. When used, you choose a superpower you most desire and the data for it will be downloaded. If it requires such, scientists will amputate you and preform the necessary adjustments. For some reason, to 17 year old Jason Wreys, the system is unappealing. He has never wanted anything other then his boring, average family life. However, after stumbling upon the factory one week before his 18th birthday, he accidentally discovers the truth about the system: it is a mind control device, used to turn any user into a perfect citizen. In the process, it steals the persons will, energy, and emotions, replacing them with what the governments idea of "Perfect" is. He comes to a crossroad-the mind control is exactly what he wishes everyone to be like, but he also believes people have the right to make their own choices. Now, Jason must try to face up to the system, the government, the nation-and his beliefs.

Hrm, me likes. It's so fun to create a dystopian universe, though it can get kinda depressing sometimes.
What do you guys think of this kind of story?

The setting is just 40 years after WWIII and the worlds collapse. Other than humans, everything is artificial, their food, the environment, everything. Because of the use of Nuclear Warfare from the countries America, China, Russia, North Korea, Syria, Japan, Australia, Britain, France, India, and Pakistan, the world has died out. Only one city has remained standing, renamed "The New World", or nicknamed by most as "Ko Anou City". Outside of this city, are the monsters created by nuclear radiation. Humans, animals, even plants have been mutated, so it is very dangerous to leave. Every so often, people leave the city in hopes to find something, anything, untainted by nuclear radiation.
Ko Anou City has a population of 50 thousand, many of which are under the age of 25. Ira, a 16 year old boy, who has always felt empty in life, wants to see beyond the miles of waste. After hearing about the possibility that an untainted area of Earth, Ira couldn't help but want to search for it. His two friends Sairea and Timpo learn of this and try to stop him, but after arguing for a while, realize they could not. He, Sairea and Timpo, leave the city in search of nature.
has anyone fully the Trilogy of the Lord of The Rings? im almost done w/ the third part
Got a 2 on the Mary Sue test for Chance Atakami: DEFINTITELY NOT A MARY SUE!

Heads up guys theres a writing battle for who gets the new Renegade Reviews job... so be sure to vote!
Alright, I'm gonna post the first chapter of "Dystopia (I named it Joyful_2)," and see if you guys like it. If you do, I'll stop SK's and work on this. If not, I'll stick with SK's.

Comments? Critique? And yes, I realize the Principle is a she. And she's bald. That's kinda the point Tired...
Looks good, looks good. I can get a feel for the character, but I am slightly confused. Are the newspapers of him, or just some random people? That's my only confusion. I do like the present tense though.

Unnecessary question time again, yay! What's your favorite punctuation mark? Stupid question, right? I just wanted to know if I was the only one with a favorite.

Well, mine are (I have two) Semicolons and Apostrophes! Semicolons, well, they're awesome, save so much space without having too many periods, and they look beautiful. I don't know why, but semicolons just make writing looks so much better. Ever since I learned to use them, I've loved them. Apostrophes, I like particularly for dialogue. It's the best when it comes to writing slang or something in conversation (because not everyone has top-notch grammar when they speak, right?). I mean, look:
"Ya'll ain' got no reason!" looks so much better than, "Yall ain got no reason!", and it makes it sound like a Southern accent better.

More discussion now: Swearing in writing. Now while I don't really like swearing, sometimes it adds to the writing and makes it more realistic. How? Well, face it, most people swear. So it makes sense that most characters swear, no? Especially if they're teens and up. Now I'm not saying to make your story drop f-bombs left and right but, everyone hears swearing. Whether it's you, or the people around you, you hear it. So, let's say, your character is in a situation where they're talking to a delinquent of some-sorts, I don't think they'd be saying, "Hello, mate. Fancy seeing you here." And it wouldn't really look nice if all it said was "carp" during the whole sentence.

So what I'm trying to say here is, maybe swearing could be allowed in some writing, and we could put a warning? Although I'm probably getting ahead of myself, and this will most likely be denied.

Sorry for spewing out so many words here, but I just have so much on my mind that I want to discuss. Okay, discussion numero tres: Second Person Perspective...? Yeah, I know it exists, where the narrator says "you" and whatnot, but that's not what I'm talking about. Could it be possible to... have the narrator be present in the story, but they're not the protagonist? I don't know; this has been in the back of my head for a long time. But how; how would this be possible? That's what I'm trying to find out. Share your thoughts.
I using damn, but nothing else. In my mind, it seems like it's commonly used, and it's the only one allowed here, right?