Drift Ban Voting

Poll: Should Drift Be Banned

Yes, it should be banned
26.67%
No it shouldn’t be banned
73.33%
Total: 100% 75 vote(s)
(Aug. 24, 2021  3:55 AM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote: TheRogueBlader out of curiosity are you able to make a third choice in the poll that says Change the Single Bey Format”?

I don’t think I can, cause I already edited it once, and I actually tried adding a third option. But I don’t think we should change the single bey format anyway, cause having 1 bey in the preliminaries is a good thing, cause it makes bladers think about the bey more.
(Aug. 23, 2021  1:11 AM)Shindog Wrote: Consider a different solution for just a minute.  Let’s look how WBBA is dealing with Drift….well they don’t.  They play the 5G format where Drift can only be on one of your combos.  You must play other combos also.  

Suppose we play WBBA style 3v3 in first stage.  Drift will only be on one of the 3 combos.  Both players can have 1 drift.  Suppose we score all win conditions 1 point, which is what we do now.  This means besides drift, you would have to have played at least 2 other combos to get 3 points.  Is drift so bad than?

In the finals, WBO deck should be a much friendlier environment for specific drift counters.  

It would be nice to avoid banning parts people paid for.  Just curious, if we can lessen the overall effect of drift has in the first stage by, let’s say, playing 3v3 deck , would we still want it banned?  Is it kinda like perhaps the queen in chess doesn’t need a ban then?  I don’t know, I am not good enough at chess to make this comparison probably.  If I am right, would this help to also solve future problem parts?

Just something to think about

Changing our entire tournament format for a part, to one which also doesn't work at all with the first generation of Beyblade, seems odd.

I generally dislike no shared part rules as it encourages superficial variation in combos (using different metal faces) and actually restricts actual combo variation - the use of obscure parts with good ones is basically a no go at that point (eg running xc'+z is basically sui as you skip Zn'+Z). It is also nigh-objectively deleterious in plastics (one said this endlessly on discord, but force smash is awesome - who is gonna run it tho).

In much the way banning drift means people who paid can't use it, the same rule means people who paid for an xc' or similar more marginal part can't use it. People who paid for 2 drifts can't use one... Whether these are perfect examples is mostly academic, but the argument let people use what they paid for does not seem fully compatible with NSP. Or deck, really.

Personally I don't like drift but I also don't like making people (esp kids) have to think harder than necessary just to spin some dang tops with NSP rules and stuff. God I wish I was here when the idea was being considered in the first place - that would have been a more useful hill to die on 😅

For what it's worth, I don't like drift or zone'+z in the meta at all, but they aren't really the issue with burst std, the stadium and its small exits are more of an issue. More passive drifts are admittedly probably a little too good in same spin and defensive/counter ability but I don't think it's a Basalt/BD145 or F230(G)CF in ZG level issue?

I also suggested this in Discord: why doesn't someone run a test tournament and see what happens? I've seen plenty of purple usernames complain about drift, mayhaps it is time for someone to put their money where their mouth is and give us a glimpse of what could be!
(Aug. 25, 2021  12:13 PM)th!nk Wrote:
(Aug. 23, 2021  1:11 AM)Shindog Wrote: Consider a different solution for just a minute.  Let’s look how WBBA is dealing with Drift….well they don’t.  They play the 5G format where Drift can only be on one of your combos.  You must play other combos also.  

Suppose we play WBBA style 3v3 in first stage.  Drift will only be on one of the 3 combos.  Both players can have 1 drift.  Suppose we score all win conditions 1 point, which is what we do now.  This means besides drift, you would have to have played at least 2 other combos to get 3 points.  Is drift so bad than?

In the finals, WBO deck should be a much friendlier environment for specific drift counters.  

It would be nice to avoid banning parts people paid for.  Just curious, if we can lessen the overall effect of drift has in the first stage by, let’s say, playing 3v3 deck , would we still want it banned?  Is it kinda like perhaps the queen in chess doesn’t need a ban then?  I don’t know, I am not good enough at chess to make this comparison probably.  If I am right, would this help to also solve future problem parts?

Just something to think about

Changing our entire tournament format for a part, to one which also doesn't work at all with the first generation of Beyblade, seems odd.

I generally dislike no shared part rules as it encourages superficial variation in combos (using different metal faces) and actually restricts actual combo variation - the use of obscure parts with good ones is basically a no go at that point (eg running xc'+z is basically sui as you skip Zn'+Z). It is also nigh-objectively deleterious in plastics (one said this endlessly on discord, but force smash is awesome - who is gonna run it tho).

In much the way banning drift means people who paid can't use it, the same rule means people who paid for an xc' or similar more marginal part can't use it. People who paid for 2 drifts can't use one... Whether these are perfect examples is mostly academic, but the argument let people use what they paid for does not seem fully compatible with NSP. Or deck, really.

Personally I don't like drift but I also don't like making people (esp kids) have to think harder than necessary just to spin some dang tops with NSP rules and stuff. God I wish I was here when the idea was being considered in the first place - that would have been a more useful hill to die on 😅

For what it's worth, I don't like drift or zone'+z in the meta at all, but they aren't really the issue with burst std, the stadium and its small exits are more of an issue. More passive drifts are admittedly probably a little too good in same spin and defensive/counter ability but I don't think it's a Basalt/BD145 or F230(G)CF in ZG level issue?

I also suggested this in Discord: why doesn't someone run a test tournament and see what happens? I've seen plenty of purple usernames complain about drift, mayhaps it is time for someone to put their money where their mouth is and give us a glimpse of what could be!
The consideration to change our tournament format is not because of this single part, drift.  The discussion can be seen here:

https://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Thought...Bey-Format

A change/addition just also happens to be a potential solution to the question asked in this thread.  Technically, the P3C1 discussed in the that thread is already added as an alternate 1st stage format.  I didn’t want to get into the pros/cons of different formats too much here in order to try to stay on topic here. 
The issues with the single bey format, and other formats are discussed in the thread above.

Some players will chose to have more than one of a part even when they know only one can be used.  They might need it as a replacement for a broken part in tournament in a spare tire kind of way, or they may use/want multiples for testing and balancing.
(Aug. 24, 2021  4:25 AM)TheRogueBlader Wrote:
(Aug. 24, 2021  3:55 AM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote: TheRogueBlader out of curiosity are you able to make a third choice in the poll that says Change the Single Bey Format”?

I don’t think I can, cause I already edited it once, and I actually tried adding a third option. But I don’t think we should change the single bey format anyway, cause having 1 bey in the preliminaries is a good thing, cause it makes bladers think about the bey more.
But that’s the point with drift existing you don’t really have to think about much. The idea of going to 3v3 or c3p1 is because the more skilled blader would win more as opposed to the less skilled blader who just got lucky on the spin rotation. The only thing I feel that 3v3 and c3p1 hurts are the new bladers that don’t own more than 1 blade. Granted there are plenty of people that seem to bring extra parts to tournaments that they could potentially borrow.

Through reading what @th!nk said this brings up another question that I have. Should parts like the Z and X chip be restricted to 1 per deck? Cause when reading the parts they are Zn’+z or Zn’+x and same thing with Xc’+z or Xc’+x. So when you read them as a whole it’s like they are different drivers as a whole. I know you are allowed to use Xt and Xt+ in the same deck, as well as using things like Ds and Ds’, so why couldn’t you use Zn’+z and Xc’+z? Or maybe even Zn’+z and Zn+z?

Just a random thought. I understand the WBOs way of thinking though. It is technically a part. But it’s kind of a part to a part of that makes any sense?

Shindog what do you think?
(Aug. 25, 2021  3:29 PM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote:
(Aug. 24, 2021  4:25 AM)TheRogueBlader Wrote: I don’t think I can, cause I already edited it once, and I actually tried adding a third option. But I don’t think we should change the single bey format anyway, cause having 1 bey in the preliminaries is a good thing, cause it makes bladers think about the bey more.
But that’s the point with drift existing you don’t really have to think about much. The idea of going to 3v3 or c3p1 is because the more skilled blader would win more as opposed to the less skilled blader who just got lucky on the spin rotation. The only thing I feel that 3v3 and c3p1 hurts are the new bladers that don’t own more than 1 blade. Granted there are plenty of people that seem to bring extra parts to tournaments that they could potentially borrow.
This is an interesting point that you bought up, and I polled organizers about this while back.  What most organizers find is that the participant either comes with 0 legal parts or a lot of them.  They come with 0 parts because they didn’t know the format that is being played.  There are very few instances where a participant comes with 1 blade.
(Aug. 25, 2021  3:42 PM)Shindog Wrote:
(Aug. 25, 2021  3:29 PM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote: But that’s the point with drift existing you don’t really have to think about much. The idea of going to 3v3 or c3p1 is because the more skilled blader would win more as opposed to the less skilled blader who just got lucky on the spin rotation. The only thing I feel that 3v3 and c3p1 hurts are the new bladers that don’t own more than 1 blade. Granted there are plenty of people that seem to bring extra parts to tournaments that they could potentially borrow.
This is an interesting point that you bought up, and I polled organizers about this while back.  What most organizers find is that the participant either comes with 0 legal parts or a lot of them.  They come with 0 parts because they didn’t know the format that is being played.  There are very few instances where a participant comes with 1 blade.
I agree I haven’t seen many bladers come to the tournaments with less than 1 bey. Granted you get the issue where some of their beys are fakes. Like at my last tournament at least 3 different people had fake tempest dragons. You could tell from all of the screws in the drivers and chassis were Phillips head screws.
(Aug. 25, 2021  3:29 PM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote:
(Aug. 24, 2021  4:25 AM)TheRogueBlader Wrote: I don’t think I can, cause I already edited it once, and I actually tried adding a third option. But I don’t think we should change the single bey format anyway, cause having 1 bey in the preliminaries is a good thing, cause it makes bladers think about the bey more.

Through reading what @th!nk said this brings up another question that I have. Should parts like the Z and X chip be restricted to 1 per deck? Cause when reading the parts they are Zn’+z or Zn’+x and same thing with Xc’+z or Xc’+x. So when you read them as a whole it’s like they are different drivers as a whole. I know you are allowed to use Xt and Xt+ in the same deck, as well as using things like Ds and Ds’, so why couldn’t you use Zn’+z and Xc’+z? Or maybe even Zn’+z and Zn+z?

Just a random thought. I understand the WBOs way of thinking though. It is technically a part. But it’s kind of a part to a part of that makes any sense?

If you read the rulebooks you will see that driver chips (+X, +Z, and Xtend+ Chip) are ruled much like frames for the WBO.  We don’t allow 0C and 0G in the same deck in burst. It’s a philosophical choice imo.
(Aug. 25, 2021  4:12 PM)Shindog Wrote:
(Aug. 25, 2021  3:29 PM)CrisisCrusher07 Wrote: But that’s the point with drift existing you don’t really have to think about much. The idea of going to 3v3 or c3p1 is because the more skilled blader would win more as opposed to the less skilled blader who just got lucky on the spin rotation. The only thing I feel that 3v3 and c3p1 hurts are the new bladers that don’t own more than 1 blade. Granted there are plenty of people that seem to bring extra parts to tournaments that they could potentially borrow.

If you read the rulebooks you will see that driver chips (+X, +Z, and Xtend+ Chip) are ruled much like frames for the WBO.  We don’t allow 0C and 0G in the same deck in burst. It’s a philosophical choice imo.
That’s fair. I didn’t think about them being like frames.
All in all, banning drift wouldn't really solve anything. We have zone'+z, we have tapered bearing, we have xtend+, and so on. If we ban drift, something else will take its place. LAD has been a significant part of the meta for a long time, and as much as some folks don't like that, it isn't going to change. As others have stated before, moving over to 3v3 would be a fine solution to other problematic parts going forward anyways, along with being, in my opinion at least, better for the game as a whole.
(Aug. 25, 2021  3:42 PM)Shindog Wrote:
In the first tournament I went to, which you were there cause you hosted it, someone came with only 1 bey cause they thought it was burst standard. In my friend USN’s recent tournament, he told me that someone also came to his tournament with only 1 burst standard bey. Granted, that is only 2 examples, but it’s not exactly very few instances. It happens every so often from the way I see it, but that’s just me.
(Aug. 26, 2021  12:13 AM)TheRogueBlader Wrote:
(Aug. 25, 2021  3:42 PM)Shindog Wrote: This is an interesting point that you bought up, and I polled organizers about this while back.  What most organizers find is that the participant either comes with 0 legal parts or a lot of them.  They come with 0 parts because they didn’t know the format that is being played.  There are very few instances where a participant comes with 1 blade.
In the first tournament I went to, which you were there cause you hosted it, someone came with only 1 bey cause they thought it was burst standard. In my friend USN’s recent tournament, he told me that someone also came to his tournament with only 1 burst standard bey. Granted, that is only 2 examples, but it’s not exactly very few instances. It happens every so often from the way I see it, but that’s just me.
I believe what you are saying is exactly what I mean by “participant either comes with 0 legal parts or a lot of them.” 

The player who came to my event had many incorrect parts because they did not understand the format we were playing.  They were reduced to one bey because the event wasn’t what they thought it was.  They did bring many beys for the wrong format.  They were able to put together one bey and not be left with zero just by chance.  Isn’t this what happened?  In the end the participant and their  dad both borrowed combos to play anyway, if I recall correctly.  So it was like they came with no correct beys in my opinion.
(Aug. 26, 2021  1:31 AM)Shindog Wrote:
(Aug. 26, 2021  12:13 AM)TheRogueBlader Wrote: In the first tournament I went to, which you were there cause you hosted it, someone came with only 1 bey cause they thought it was burst standard. In my friend USN’s recent tournament, he told me that someone also came to his tournament with only 1 burst standard bey. Granted, that is only 2 examples, but it’s not exactly very few instances. It happens every so often from the way I see it, but that’s just me.
I believe what you are saying is exactly what I mean by “participant either comes with 0 legal parts or a lot of them.” 

The player who came to my event had many incorrect parts because they did not understand the format we were playing.  They were reduced to one bey because the event wasn’t what they thought it was.  They did bring many beys for the wrong format.  They were able to put together one bey and not be left with zero just by chance.  Isn’t this what happened?  In the end the participant and their  dad both borrowed combos to play anyway, if I recall correctly.  So it was like they came with no correct beys in my opinion.

There was actually 3 Bladers who had a single Beyblade at my tournament. The thing is, people are willing to lend Beyblades. I bring enough beys to share with others and I think number of beys does not matter very much. If someone blades competitively than they will know what to bring, and uncompetitive Bladers are fine with borrowing beys.
Just an update, I realize now that drift isn’t as powerful as I thought it was. See, drift is good in same spin, but that’s only 50% of the time at best. Sure, if you can control it the percentage bumps up to 75% at the very best. But it goes out of control and has a very wide base so it has much more friction that sharp tips like bearing or straight up ball tips like orbit metal. It’s insane for opposite spin, but with the release of the over and tapered disc, over/tapered bearing/zone’+z/awakened rise is enough to tie with giga/over drift in opposite spin. Sure drift will win more eventually, but the rules for ties aren’t confirmed yet. If the rules turn out to be 3 draws then re-select I wouldn’t use drift at all since it ties against those 3 drivers and is worse in same spin. If those don’t turn out to be the rules drift is still usable. Not saying it’s OP, not saying it’s not usable at all. It’s still very good, these are just my updated thoughts on it.
Well its standard. If we banned guilty and devil/dynamite+ f gear or giga, it wouldn’t be fun. If we kept banning op parts, we wouldn’t have any parts at all. Just bcuz Smth is broken doesn’t mean it should be banned. The whole point of standard is to be able to use any part. There is no banned part, unless it’s a safety hazard like 12, which isn’t even banned, but needs a frame. Drift isn’t even the most broken driver, you can beat it with mobius, zone’+Z, destroy’, xtreme’ and quick’, bearing(and bearing’ when it releases), and to some extent Belials driver with its extension, ultimate reboot’, hold’, atomic, keep’, and xceed’+z. Oh and quest obviously
(Sep. 22, 2021  3:04 PM)The Blacknight Wrote: Well its standard. If we banned guilty and devil/dynamite+ f gear or giga, it wouldn’t be fun. If we kept banning op parts, we wouldn’t have any parts at all. Just bcuz Smth is broken doesn’t mean it should be banned. The whole point of standard is to be able to use any part. There is no banned part, unless it’s a safety hazard like 12, which isn’t even banned, but needs a frame. Drift isn’t even the most broken driver, you can beat it with mobius, zone’+Z, destroy’, xtreme’ and quick’, bearing(and bearing’ when it releases), and to some extent Belials driver with its extension, ultimate reboot’, hold’, atomic, keep’, and xceed’+z. Oh and quest obviously

I already said my updated thoughts but I’m guessing you didn’t see those. I agree that burst standard is a format where you should be able to use any part, but very few parts that are too OP should be banned. Spriggan Reqieum, Deathscyther, and Maximum Garuda were. Drift’s time for being super OP has come to pass. It’s still very good, but with higher stamina parts coming out and common things like bearing having use as well as lad combos enough to tie with drift, drift is not as OP as it was near the beggining of dynamite. You can still use it well if you have the skill and outspin many drivers including some you mentioned, but it’s not as unfair as it was.
(Sep. 22, 2021  3:08 PM)TheRogueBlader Wrote:
(Sep. 22, 2021  3:04 PM)The Blacknight Wrote: Well its standard. If we banned guilty and devil/dynamite+ f gear or giga, it wouldn’t be fun. If we kept banning op parts, we wouldn’t have any parts at all. Just bcuz Smth is broken doesn’t mean it should be banned. The whole point of standard is to be able to use any part. There is no banned part, unless it’s a safety hazard like 12, which isn’t even banned, but needs a frame. Drift isn’t even the most broken driver, you can beat it with mobius, zone’+Z, destroy’, xtreme’ and quick’, bearing(and bearing’ when it releases), and to some extent Belials driver with its extension, ultimate reboot’, hold’, atomic, keep’, and xceed’+z. Oh and quest obviously

I already said my updated thoughts but I’m guessing you didn’t see those. I agree that burst standard is a format where you should be able to use any part, but very few parts that are too OP should be banned. Spriggan Reqieum, Deathscyther, and Maximum Garuda were. Drift’s time for being super OP has come to pass. It’s still very good, but with higher stamina parts coming out and common things like bearing having use as well as lad combos enough to tie with drift, drift is not as OP as it was near the beggining of dynamite. You can still use it well if you have the skill and outspin many drivers including some you mentioned, but it’s not as unfair as it was.

Can’t os quest tho
(Sep. 22, 2021  3:17 PM)The Blacknight Wrote:
(Sep. 22, 2021  3:08 PM)TheRogueBlader Wrote: I already said my updated thoughts but I’m guessing you didn’t see those. I agree that burst standard is a format where you should be able to use any part, but very few parts that are too OP should be banned. Spriggan Reqieum, Deathscyther, and Maximum Garuda were. Drift’s time for being super OP has come to pass. It’s still very good, but with higher stamina parts coming out and common things like bearing having use as well as lad combos enough to tie with drift, drift is not as OP as it was near the beggining of dynamite. You can still use it well if you have the skill and outspin many drivers including some you mentioned, but it’s not as unfair as it was.

Can’t os quest tho
We shall see.
It can be beaten with hard hitter attack combos don’t ban my sweet drift

(Sep. 22, 2021  3:08 PM)TheRogueBlader Wrote:

I was not around during god but oh my god must have been so limited.
Here’s my take: If a part makes the meta stale and uninteresting, then it should be banned. The question is, has drift really made the meta stale? The answer for me is yes, it can win almost any opposite spin match, and I’ve heard that some skilled people are able to make it consistently win in same spin too. It’s also interesting to note that we have a replacement part in mobius. Mobius is like drift except same spin is simply not an option. Without drift, it would be the opposite spin king again, and it would be a more balanced part. Because of this more balanced substitution which has the same function as drift, banning drift seems like a good option to me. Honestly in the end, I don’t care, I don’t really play competitively anyway. I just have fun talking about this stuff.
(Oct. 31, 2021  3:42 AM)Orbit Wrote: Here’s my take: If a part makes the meta stale and uninteresting, then it should be banned. The question is, has drift really made the meta stale? The answer for me is yes, it can win almost any opposite spin match, and I’ve heard that some skilled people are able to make it consistently win in same spin too. It’s also interesting to note that we have a replacement part in mobius. Mobius is like drift except same spin is simply not an option. Without drift, it would be the opposite spin king again, and it would be a more balanced part. Because of this more balanced substitution which has the same function as drift, banning drift seems like a good option to me. Honestly in the end, I don’t care, I don’t really play competitively anyway. I just have fun talking about this stuff.
I created this thread from when I had your opinion on things. But now I realize that I was wrong. Drift is the king of opposite spin but it ties very frequently with top tier lad drivers (zone’+z, bearing, awakened rise). And it’s same spin, while good, is barely below the most common drivers used. Having good same spin is pointless if it’s below everything anyway. And drift is a very wide topped driver, all you need is a bit or recoil and it gets knocked off balance speeding near the ridge. I don’t think it should be banned, but that’s just what I know