Dir en grey

Is that supposed to be Vishnu or Shiva?
(Jun. 14, 2011  2:06 PM)Fyuuor Wrote: Is that supposed to be Vishnu or Shiva?

It did look like that to me, but some people are seeing more than two people/deities in that picture, where one is almost hugging the main person from behind.
(Jun. 15, 2011  12:51 AM)Kai-V Wrote:
(Jun. 14, 2011  2:06 PM)Fyuuor Wrote: Is that supposed to be Vishnu or Shiva?

It did look like that to me, but some people are seeing more than two people/deities in that picture, where one is almost hugging the main person from behind.

Me being Hindu, I'm taking that as Shiva. And no, 2 of his hands are like that, there is only one deity there.
(Jun. 16, 2011  4:16 PM)GaHooleone Wrote: Me being Hindu, I'm taking that as Shiva. And no, 2 of his hands are like that, there is only one deity there.

No, some people see a clear sort of Japanese warrior behind the sitting silhouette that raises their hands to the sky.

Anyway, I think it was obviously meant to be ambiguous, so it is pointless to argue on what we can see ...
Samples for each song from Dum Spiro Spero :
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058XC...6432714-20
(Jul. 05, 2011  3:01 PM)Kai-V Wrote: Samples for each song from Dum Spiro Spero :
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058XC...6432714-20

I honestly liked all of the samples, I can't wait to hear the full album. It's definitely an evolution of the style on UROBOROS.
The whole album is already leaked, and apparently it is basically perfect.

But I will wait, no matter how long Canada Post is going to make this.
(Jul. 27, 2011  10:17 PM)Kai-V Wrote: The whole album is already leaked, and apparently it is basically perfect.

But I will wait, no matter how long Canada Post is going to make this.

IT'S SO AMAZING, OMG.
Okay, so, everyone I know online and IRL keeps telling me to listen to Dir En Grey. I think I've even got a few albums that have been lent to me by friends (alongside hefty recommendations and instructions to listen to them immediately) just lying around, which I've put off listening to. I'm not normally into Japanese music, because, IDK, I just don't like the way the language works with music (dunhatemeh), but eh, I figure I really should give it a shot, at least, after listening to the samples of Dum Spiro Spero and being reasonably impressed.

Anyway, what album/tracks should I start with? Considering I'm generally quite melody-focussed when listening to music, don't particularly love screaming but don't particularly hate it (I much prefer growls for metal), and like guitars?

Yeah, I know I sound like an idiot. Help me not be an idiot.
boy, have i got a track for you th!nk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7v6HL_H3Qc
Yes Roan, I'm trolling :P

I'll definitely give Dum Spero Spiro a listen soon! Is it anything like Uroboros, Roan? I haven't been keeping up with their singles lately, so I really have no idea what to expect.

edit: Just saw your post above saying that it was like an "evolution of the style on UROBOROS" haha
Good guitar work, great solo, etc etc :\ What'd I miss with the trolling (other than it being lighter than a lot of Dir En Grey I've listened to so far). :\

After reading this thread more fully, I've basically thrown together a playlist out of the earliest albums I have from them. Good idea?
(Jul. 28, 2011  5:46 PM)th!nk Wrote: Good guitar work, great solo, etc etc :\ What'd I miss with the trolling (other than it being lighter than a lot of Dir En Grey I've listened to so far). :\

I like the song myself, but Roan? That's another story, haha. And, it isn't really something you'd recommend to someone asking what they should listen to from the band, since Dir en Grey hasn't had that Yokan "style" for a long, long time. Anyways, I'll let Roan or Kai-V recommend something for you to listen to, since they both love Dir en Grey much more than I do.
(Jul. 28, 2011  5:08 PM)th!nk Wrote: Okay, so, everyone I know online and IRL keeps telling me to listen to Dir En Grey. I think I've even got a few albums that have been lent to me by friends (alongside hefty recommendations and instructions to listen to them immediately) just lying around, which I've put off listening to. I'm not normally into Japanese music, because, IDK, I just don't like the way the language works with music (dunhatemeh), but eh, I figure I really should give it a shot, at least, after listening to the samples of Dum Spiro Spero and being reasonably impressed.

Anyway, what album/tracks should I start with? Considering I'm generally quite melody-focussed when listening to music, don't particularly love screaming but don't particularly hate it (I much prefer growls for metal), and like guitars?

Yeah, I know I sound like an idiot. Help me not be an idiot.

Personally there is not one of their songs that I do not like. I think part of what makes me really like Dir en grey is actually because it is in Japanese. Not because I like Japanese, but because I do not understand it. Since I do not comprehend the lyrics, I have to focus on something else, the ambiance, and I find it really cool in each song.

Each single and album just seems to get better. Apparently Dum Spiro Spero is really varied, and everybody talks about Kyo's range of singing styles like he is the highlight of the album ... In that sense, I think DIFFERENT SENSE might be a good song to listen to, to see the variety. The promotional video associated to this single is very nice, but you really have to understand the metaphore because otherwise all you will keep in mind is the inappropriate content.
It is so beautiful.
(Aug. 09, 2011  6:05 PM)Kai-V Wrote: It is so beautiful.

haha, I'm glad you finally got to listen to it! I've been listening to it religiously since it leaked.
I just got the "special bundle pack" I ordered : besides the signed square poster, the T-shirt, the vinyls, and the digipak, for some reason there was also a Karabiner Grip with "Dir en grey" just printed on it, as well as a laminated VIP pass with the cord, but it will not work for anything ...

Amon Symphonic Ver. is really intense.
What cool band actually makes a zombie show :

And apparently Kyo has been putting some makeup in one of the recent shows :
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?m...d=22316872
For some reason, it reminded a Japanese fan of Child Prey makeup. I wish Japanese were sometimes not so respectful of the rules and would actually take photographs at shows hah.
THE BLOSSOMING BELZEEBUB live :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELX-wcI-fQ

Is anyone going to one of the North American concerts ?
love Dir en grey such cool music they make and i blast the music with my beats head phones when i am in public other people look at me its so cool i like to rock in style lol
Dir en grey has been back from their break due to Kyo's throat condition, and after releasing the awesome new single Rinkaku with an equally awesome remix by Akira Yamaoka, the composer for Resident Evil music, they are now going to release a mini-album called "THE UNRAVELING", where they will apparently have remakes of a lot of old songs :

1. Unraveling
2. Karma
3. Kasumi
4. Karasu
5. Bottom of the Death Valley
6. Unknown.Despair.Lost
7. THE FINAL

And, in a secondary disk, a new MACABRE, which rumours say is a new blockbuster that is sixteen-minutes-long. What the hell.

Bottom of the Death Valley is one of my favourite Dir en grey songs, and THE FINAL is the song I discovered them with, so I am definitely going to pay more than eighty dollars for this to reach my door on the date of release, hah.

This whole thing will be released on April 3rd 2013.
Searched around, and found this thread! I thought I was the only one who listened to them, but I guess not! They're music is amazing/beautiful. No words can explain how much I LOVE them. Definitely, one of the most underrated bands I know.
Underrated ? You basically either do not know them, or you love them, hah.

What do you think of their mini-album The Unraveling ?
Haha, no, I LOVE THEM, I mean underrated in the way, that they should be much bigger, and should get more publicity!

IT WAS WAY TO SMALL! I wanted more songs! I still think there 2nd EP was better! But overall, it's pretty good!

I remember a few years back, (I think like 6 years ago or something) my cousin and my uncle took me to a NYC concert of theres! Still the best concert I went to! I downloaded all of Dum Spiro Spero on to my phone!
Oh no, I meant that I do not think it can be called 'underrated', because if someone even knows about them, then they will love them; the rest, therefore, simply does not really know about them.

But what do you think about the new versions compared to the original songs ? I found that some of the guitar was often purified to a point that it would just make it easier to play live, but the song had more rythm and emotion before when the riffs were more complicated.

The Final Unplugged is just such a beautiful suicide song though.
Beautiful suicide song, hah?

I am considering getting into Dir en grey, but only if it is worth my time. Should I?