Deathscyther AND Dark Deathscyther banned in Japan!

I have been saying that Dark Deathscyther is dominating the metagame for many months now, and TAKARA-TOMY has indeed decided to ban it from now on, adding it to the "Hall of Fame" where Deathscyther still resides....
https://beyblade.takaratomy.co.jp/info_d...myPost=630

Perhaps we can now really consider banning it from our tournaments too?
(Apr. 14, 2017  3:16 PM)Kai-V Wrote: I have been saying that Dark Deathscyther is dominating the metagame for many months now, and TAKARA-TOMY has indeed decided to ban it from now on, adding it to the "Hall of Fame" where Deathscyther still resides....
https://beyblade.takaratomy.co.jp/info_d...myPost=630

Perhaps we can now really consider banning it from our tournaments too?

Wow. Talk about domination. I guess this means Killer Deathsyther will get nerfed?
If TAKARA-TOMY is smart, they will definitely make Killer Deathscyther more Attack-like or render it more useless...
(Apr. 14, 2017  3:55 PM)Kai-V Wrote: If TAKARA-TOMY is smart, they will definitely make Killer Deathscyther more Attack-like or render it more useless...

I don't want it to be too useless, I just want Killer Deathscyther to be more focused on attack.
Maybe make Killer Deathscyther a dedicated Upper Attack Layer. Been a long time since we've had a good Upper Attack part.
Maybe they'll go for a triple whammy and Killer Deathscyther will end up in the hall of fame next to them. It would be... an aesthetically pleasing hall of fame page? Haha

I dunno how I feel about this! Dark Deathscyther does seem super resistant to attack, and I don't think it has as many layers that consistently defeat it as Deathscyther does... but it also consistently loses to Deathscyther, which we still have in play because it has so many viable counters.

I'm interested in the ensuing community discussion about whether or not it should be banned here!
(Apr. 14, 2017  6:05 PM)cadney Wrote: Maybe they'll go for a triple whammy and Killer Deathscyther will end up in the hall of fame next to them. It would be... an aesthetically pleasing hall of fame page? Haha

I dunno how I feel about this! Dark Deathscyther does seem super resistant to attack, and I don't think it has as many layers that consistently defeat it as Deathscyther does... but it also consistently loses to Deathscyther, which we still have in play because it has so many viable counters.

I'm interested in the ensuing community discussion about whether or not it should be banned here!

Deathsycther wears and becomes useless very easily though, so I do not think it consistently wins against Dark Deathscyther, no?
(Apr. 14, 2017  6:08 PM)Kai-V Wrote: Deathsycther wears and becomes useless very easily though, so I do not think it consistently wins against Dark Deathscyther, no?

D definitely has better stamina that D2 and can be beat it very consistently.
(Apr. 14, 2017  6:08 PM)Kai-V Wrote: Deathsycther wears and becomes useless very easily though, so I do not think it consistently wins against Dark Deathscyther, no?

That's true! I suppose a worn Deathscyther might self-Burst in a match against Dark Deathscyther, but I've seen it perform fairly reliably against it in tournaments (probably because we're all using the best Deathscythers we have).

Last time I discussed D2 with @[Kei], I think I'm remembering correctly that he considered Wyvern a solid choice against it as well, stamina-wise? Correct me if I'm wrong, Kei.
(Apr. 14, 2017  6:15 PM)cadney Wrote: That's true! I suppose a worn Deathscyther might self-Burst in a match against Dark Deathscyther, but I've seen it perform fairly reliably against it in tournaments (probably because we're all using the best Deathscythers we have).

Last time I discussed D2 with @[Kei], I think I'm remembering correctly that he considered Wyvern a solid choice against it as well, stamina-wise? Correct me if I'm wrong, Kei.

Indeed anyone who takes it seriously and has the money to buy another one would not use a bad condition Deathscyther in a tournament.
Bad condition Deathscyther: five-battles-old...
Haha, poor Deathscyther, all your families are now banned.
It will be pretty interesting if Killer Deathscyther is also banned next year. XD
I'm not surprised that D2 also got banned now. I own a black, blue and yellow D2 and the blue and yellow ones have very sticky teeth and just don't want to burst no matter what (even when fully clicked and you try to pull it apart!) especially on Accel. The same goes for Mad Minoboros and the pink Valkyrie from RB Vol. 1. I think it's good that it got banned. I hope this will help the metagame to get healthy again.
(Apr. 14, 2017  7:18 PM)TL14 Wrote: I'm not surprised that D2 also got banned now. I own a black, blue and yellow D2 and the blue and yellow ones have very sticky teeth and just don't want to burst no matter what (even when fully clicked and you try to pull it apart!) especially on Accel. The same goes for Mad Minoboros and the pink Valkyrie from RB Vol. 1. I think it's good that it got banned. I hope this will help the metagame to get healthy again.

OK, do you want to argue for its ban in the World Beyblade Organization tournaments too, then?
(Apr. 14, 2017  7:36 PM)Kai-V Wrote: OK, do you want to argue for its ban in the World Beyblade Organization tournaments too, then?

I don't want to argue.
(Apr. 14, 2017  7:40 PM)TL14 Wrote: I don't want to argue.

Hahah, I meant if you wanted to advocate/push for it to be banned in our tournaments too, not litterally "argue".
I think it should be banned for the WBO. I think it would give some of the new Hasbro-only bladers a chance in tournaments
(Apr. 14, 2017  7:41 PM)Kai-V Wrote: Hahah, I meant if you wanted to advocate/push for it to be banned in our tournaments too, not litterally "argue".

Oh. I missunderstood it then. Sorry. And yes I think it would be good to ban D2 because in my opinion it's overused and not many people are countering it. It's multiple in almost all winning combination lists. Also the sticky teeth on some models make it almost impossible to burst or even click which lowers the chance of a burst finish which gives it an unfair advantage in Deck Format.
(Apr. 14, 2017  7:48 PM)TL14 Wrote: Oh. I missunderstood it then. Sorry. And yes I think it would be good to ban D2 because in my opinion it's overused and not many people are countering it. It's multiple in almost all winning combination lists. Also the sticky teeth on some models make it almost impossible to burst or even click which lowers the chance of a burst finish which gives it an unfair advantage in Deck Format.

Actually if your D2s are sticky then they are already ilegal accoding to WBO rulling.

About banning that Ultimate Destablizing Wall of Iron. Yes I'm with banning of D2. But I'm still woried about Odin. But IIRC things like V2, Z2, L2 and some Dual Layer Attacker can beat it so it seems safe to ban it. But maybe we can wait a little more for release of new layers like dF and tW? maybe it can OS D2.
Saw this coming a mile away.

(Apr. 14, 2017  6:15 PM)cadney Wrote: Last time I discussed D2 with @[Kei], I think I'm remembering correctly that he considered Wyvern a solid choice against it as well, stamina-wise? Correct me if I'm wrong, Kei.

Yeah, D2 can burst it, but if you have a good launch it can be.

And don't forget that Odin is basically equal with D2 in terms of Stamina too; it's just easier to burst. That's why TT hasn't banned Odin; it has a more perfectly flawed design than D2, which is just OP in general with high Stamina and strong teeth.

(Apr. 14, 2017  6:24 PM)Ultra Wrote: Indeed anyone who takes it seriously and has the money to buy another one would not use a bad condition Deathscyther in a tournament.

Yeah, exactly. And when discussing this sort of thing, we have to look at it objectively and evaluate the potential of parts in their intended or best state; and when doing that, teeth wear is not a factor because serious players who can afford it don't use extremely worn parts. That being said ... this is an exaggeration:

(Apr. 14, 2017  6:25 PM)Kai-V Wrote: Bad condition Deathscyther: five-battles-old...

I won't put a number on it, but Deathscyther definitely doesn't wear down to the point of it being "bad condition" after just five battles.

In any case, I do think it's time to think about banning both Deathscyther and Dark Deathscyther from WBO Organized Play again. And I say this as someone who has invested in at least three NIB Deathscyther among a handful of others in good condition, and also many D2 including two Mirage Clear D2 just so I could have one to use for tournaments lol ... so I have a lot to lose from that perspective. But the reason I invested so heavily in them is obvious; Deathscyther and Dark Deathscyther are the two best parts in the game, hands down. There's a reason why they consistently top our events and why especially in the case of D2, they are always seen as the go-to "safe" choice by top players. If you go up against a new player who doesn't have a lot of parts, just choose D2GD and the chances of you losing that match are very, very low no matter what they choose.

In deciding whether to ban these parts however, we need to consider what could happen. In my mind, Neptune, Odin, and Wyvern would all shoot to the very top of the food chain in terms of Stamina/Defense. These are all good Layers that still have use even in the metagame as it stands today with Deathscyther and Dark Deathscyther in the wild, but I don't think any of them are as devastating and safe in as many situations as Deathscyther and Dark Deathscyther (in particular) are. And there's probably other Layers that could find use too; I haven't tested it too much, but I remember Blaze Ragnaruk defeating Neptune in my testing, and it probably has better teeth than it, so maybe something like that could become more competitive. Could be completely wrong, but the point is just to consider other Layers that might have been forgotten because of the dominance of Deathscyther and D2. We can't predict every outcome, but we should try to put some thought into it and predict.

Above I mentioned that we have to look at situations like these "objectively and evaluate the potential of parts in their intended or best state", but that is only in terms of evaluating whether a part is truly better or not than another one. In that example, the objective answer is that yes, Deathscyther is indeed better than D2 for Stamina. However, considering whether they should be banned or not is another discussion. In an ideal world we would consider everything objectively, but the reality is that it isn't fair to expect all players to invest in a (relatively) quickly wearing Layer like Deathscyther that has long since stopped production and will only become rarer over time, and as time marches on, the value of tournament victors who win because of their Deathscyther combos becomes more and more meaningless. You can't blame players who have it for using it or D2 right now because if you want to be competitive, you kind of have to, but it's our responsibility to evaluate what is best for the game overall. To me, I think banning both Deathscyther and D2 is the right answer, especially now that TT has pulled the trigger on D2 as well.

I don't see much downside to doing this, but I'd love to hear from you guys if your opinion differs and you're able to think of any negative effects on the metagame from moving forward with such a decision.
What's going to be most interesting to me is seeing how Japanese tournament attendees will adapt to the change and what they'll use to replace Dark Deathscyther.

As for removing Deathscyther and Dark Deathscyther from our ruling, I am, without a question, on board. Odin is no where near as good as it was upon release, and I can't really say I believe Neptune or Wyvern will pose big threats with God Valkyrie and Victory Valkyrie in the game, either.

I would picture the game would look something like it did in the experimental event I held with a few members of the Toronto community, but with the expected Odin reintroduction, presence of God Valkyrie and Victory Valkyrie, with removal of some of the more unorthodox combos and most of anything Hasbro, in a TAKARA-TOMY Beyblade-heavy environment. This isn't the most ideal game play in the world, but better than one where a player can rely on Deathscyther and Dark Deathscyther, to then come out on top.

[Image: GKwaHqr.png]
(Apr. 14, 2017  10:04 PM)Mitsu Wrote: As for removing Deathscyther and Dark Deathscyther from our ruling, I am, without a question, on board. Odin is no where near as good as it was upon release, and I can't really say I believe Neptune or Wyvern will pose big threats with God Valkyrie and Victory Valkyrie in the game, either.

Um what? I don't see at all how it is less powerful than when it was released. Takara haven't released anything recently that challenges stamina wise other than D and D2 (let's be honest stamina is definitely the most used type). If you take those out of the equation then it comes to the top of the heap and only attack really challenges it.
(Apr. 14, 2017  11:34 PM)Ultra Wrote: Um what? I don't see at all how it is less powerful than when it was released. Takara haven't released anything recently that challenges stamina wise other than D and D2 (let's be honest stamina is definitely the most used type). If you take those out of the equation then it comes to the top of the heap and only attack really challenges it.

Attackers. V2, Z2 and L2 (it's variants too. Balance and Defence of L2 and V2 especially).
(Apr. 14, 2017  11:34 PM)Ultra Wrote: Um what? I don't see at all how it is less powerful than when it was released. Takara haven't released anything recently that challenges stamina wise other than D and D2 (let's be honest stamina is definitely the most used type). If you take those out of the equation then it comes to the top of the heap and only attack really challenges it.

Yes, Odin is less powerful in the sense that there are more Attack-oriented and Attack/Stamina-oriented counters (Victory Valkyrie, Valtryek V2, God Valkyrie, Lost Longinus, and even the original Valkyrie wasn't defeated too easily against Odin from the get-go.). Wyvern versus Odin stamina matches are also very dependent on which player has the stronger launch.
(Apr. 15, 2017  12:07 AM)Mitsu Wrote: Yes, Odin is less powerful in the sense that there are more Attack-oriented and Attack/Stamina-oriented counters (Victory Valkyrie, Valtryek V2, God Valkyrie, Lost Longinus, and even the original Valkyrie wasn't defeated too easily against Odin from the get-go.). Wyvern versus Odin stamina matches are also very dependent on which player has the stronger launch.

V2 is definitely not in the same league as V1 and Lost Longinus. GV is untested and I don't agree about wyvern being able to defeat Odin.