Burst Standard Optional Ban - Bearing Drift/Metal Bearing Drift

(Mar. 09, 2023  6:44 PM)bladekid Wrote:
(Mar. 06, 2023  8:37 PM)versusENDEV Wrote: Don't mix up combo divesity and having a balanced/unbalanced meta. I clearly stated at first what I was talking about.  You can have less diversity but still have a balanced meta. Having an optional ban of BDr is just a short term and patch up solution on balancing the 3 Bey meta. Eventually, the meta will become stale and boring since you will see almost the same parts in a competitive 3 Bey format. You won't see that much drivers in a 3 bey format for the obvious reason that slots are limited.

Most of you don't realize how big is the impact of BDr on a 3-Bey format when compared to a 5-Bey format or more because you don't have enough experience on it. In 3v3, it can give you 2 out of the 3 points needed to win. In a deck format, it can give you even more points out of the 5 needed to win. In p3c1, it can win you the whole match. As I have already mentioned, it becomes even more OP because it can give you more than 1 point in a match. In 5G, it is just a single point.

If you want long term solution, more Bey is the way.
That sounds good, but more bey doesn't mean more diversity. And I mean it literally, having more different layers, drivers, and disks doesn't mean it's a more diverse format. You can have 5 different beys that do the exact same thing. I don't think 3 stamina types and 2 attack types is any more diverse than 2 stamina types and 1 attack type. You need to have a basis that allows for more diverse combo types like in MFB or old burst classic in order for just making it 5v5 to work. All it means is that people have to resort to outclassed versions of things they were already using, and if by "diversity" you mean strictly "how many layers people are using", then yes, in fact making people have to use more beys will mean people using more beys, but that's not the point of diversity. People should feel like they have a choice of combo or type with diversity. Like when I played classic back in the day, I very much had the "alright, how am I gonna play this. What different strategies am I gonna use this time?" Thoughts whenever I had to make a deck. Previously in standard, I'd have to say "ok, I know I wanna use two stamina types and an attack type, but which stamina type should I make perform better in same spin? How about opposite spin? Should I make one of them be more of a middle ground, or should I make it full on same spin? Should I use attack myself, or should I focus on countering the opponent's attack type with a more anti attack style combo?" Now it's just "which one am I gonna make OP and which one am I gonna not put Bdr on?" Yeah, there would be more of the choices in 5v5, but that's only cuz I run out of options that are optimal after I've used ny Bdr combo and have to use worse stuff. If you ban Bdr, then I don't feel like I have to play unoptimal stuff to fill out my roster. Good thought for sure, and I do really like 5v5 (probably my favorite format besides deck), but I don't think it would fix the current issue from a standpoint other than the most blatant and literal way possible of "more=better". B
better=better, not more. More can equal better, but not inherently.
Yeah this pretty much sums up my thoughts on it, you put it perfectly.
(Mar. 09, 2023  7:13 PM)originalzankye Wrote:
(Mar. 09, 2023  6:44 PM)bladekid Wrote: That sounds good, but more bey doesn't mean more diversity. And I mean it literally, having more different layers, drivers, and disks doesn't mean it's a more diverse format. You can have 5 different beys that do the exact same thing. I don't think 3 stamina types and 2 attack types is any more diverse than 2 stamina types and 1 attack type. You need to have a basis that allows for more diverse combo types like in MFB or old burst classic in order for just making it 5v5 to work. All it means is that people have to resort to outclassed versions of things they were already using, and if by "diversity" you mean strictly "how many layers people are using", then yes, in fact making people have to use more beys will mean people using more beys, but that's not the point of diversity. People should feel like they have a choice of combo or type with diversity. Like when I played classic back in the day, I very much had the "alright, how am I gonna play this. What different strategies am I gonna use this time?" Thoughts whenever I had to make a deck. Previously in standard, I'd have to say "ok, I know I wanna use two stamina types and an attack type, but which stamina type should I make perform better in same spin? How about opposite spin? Should I make one of them be more of a middle ground, or should I make it full on same spin? Should I use attack myself, or should I focus on countering the opponent's attack type with a more anti attack style combo?" Now it's just "which one am I gonna make OP and which one am I gonna not put Bdr on?" Yeah, there would be more of the choices in 5v5, but that's only cuz I run out of options that are optimal after I've used ny Bdr combo and have to use worse stuff. If you ban Bdr, then I don't feel like I have to play unoptimal stuff to fill out my roster. Good thought for sure, and I do really like 5v5 (probably my favorite format besides deck), but I don't think it would fix the current issue from a standpoint other than the most blatant and literal way possible of "more=better". B
better=better, not more. More can equal better, but not inherently.
Yeah this pretty much sums up my thoughts on it, you put it perfectly.
Thanks, glad I can help! Thanks for starting this thread in the first place, I hope it will lead to change and ultimately help the format!
I see that people will lean more on the BDr-less side of things after a while, after all that allows you to, yk, use *other* non-attack drivers.
The only reasons I see for the optional ban are people not agreeing with it, which fair enough I guess, and that it costs 80$ for getting a BDr. I'd prefer BDr to be banned, but I can see BDr Standard as a way to not waste that money, though a min-maxed format does not sound fun.
I can be missing something, but that's what I have to say.
(Mar. 05, 2023  11:55 AM)versusENDEV Wrote: DOMINATION Match Type
- Main goal is to dominate your opponent, but the game mechanics makes it hard for you to do that
- The objective is to reach the target number of WINS using different beyblades
- Promotes creativity in building combos
- Features a Ban Phase

Domination Five – D5 (Has the option to go as high as D9, applicable to any stadium)
Rules:
1.  Your Lineup should consist of 5 Beyblades with no repeating parts.  
2.  Your Lineup should have no repeating driver variants. It is considered a VARIANT if they share a common name but varies because of having: –dash, metal-, or high-. Example: Metal Bearing Drift and Bearing Drift
3.  You MAY use only ONE spin changing Beyblade. (dual spin blade with dual spin core)
4.  If you decided to use ONE spin changing bey, you can also use other dual spin blade/core as long as you pair them with single spin core/blade.
5.  A list of your lineup should be submitted at the start of the tournament. Lineup change is not allowed within the tournament. You will be disqualified if you use other bey/parts not on the submitted lineup of beys. (optional but recommended)
6.  The Match starts with both players revealing ALL their beys for the judge and opposing players to inspect.
7.  After inspection phase, each player will take their take opponent's Beys and choose which Beyblade to ban.
8.  Ban Phase: Both players will reveal at the same time which beyblade they chose to ban, then returns the remaining 4 Beyblades respectively. Banned Beys will be handed over to the judge.  You cannot use the Banned Beyblade for that match.
9.  After the Ban Phase will be the Battle Rounds Phase.  
10.  A Domination “Match” will consist of the following phases:
            a. INSPECTION Phase
            b. BAN Phase
            c. BATTLE ROUNDS Phase
11.  Each “Battle Rounds” will consist of the following phases:
            a. INSPECTION Phase
            b. BAN Phase
            c. BATTLE ROUNDS Phase
                       i. Bey Reveal Phase
                       ii. Mode Change Phase
                       iii. Battle Phase
12.  BEY REVEAL Phase
           a. For the First Round, both players will reveal their chosen beyblades at the same time.  (From his 4 remaining Beyblades)
           b. For the succeeding Rounds, the winner of the previous round will pick his bey first before the loser chooses his counter-pick.
           c. If the match score gets tied at 2-2 just before the last point, both players will reveal their chosen beyblade at the same time from their 2 remaining Beyblades. This tied scenario before the final point will be called the “Match Point”.
           d. In case of a DRAW, the round will not be re-played. Players will move to the next round and will reveal their chosen Bey at the same time. Players cannot choose the Bey that got the draw on the previous round, so they need to pick from their other remaining Beys.  
13.  MODE CHANGE Phase
           a. First, both players should turn around from each other to conceal their mode change.
           b. Both players may or may not do a mode change into:
                   i. high/low mode
                   ii. spin direction
                   iii. Removal of +Z/+X attachments
                   iv. part-specific mode changes like Quattro tip change, S Gear fixed/free, etc.
14. Battle Phase:  
            a. In Domination Match Type, WINNING Beyblades are counted instead of points regardless of whether it is a 2pts Burst, a KO, or Outspin.  
            b. Whenever a player wins a round, the player will hand over his winning bey to the judge and he cannot use it again for the remainder of the match. (just to keep track of the beys that already won)
            c. For a Domination Five (D5), first player to win with 3 different beyblades, wins the MATCH. (win with 4 Beys if D6 and up to win with 7 Beys if D9, there will always be one banned bey and 2 beys to choose from when it goes to match point)
            d. A “TOTAL DOMINATION” happens when one of the players did not score a single point!
            e. A “MATCH POINT” happens when score gets tied before the last point of the match(2-2 tied score in D5). Both players will reveal their chosen bey at the same time from the 2 remaining Beyblades that they have.

Thought process in creating this Match Type Format:
1.  Some players are now worried that certain combo, or parts like Bearing Drift, is becoming overpowered and is a candidate for a part getting banned in tournaments.  My solution is not to completely ban the part, but instead let the players decide if they don't want to deal with it by introducing a “Ban Phase” in the match.  Take note that in this match type, you need to win with at least 3 different beyblades in a Match.  A combo becomes EVEN MORE OVERPOWERED if it can get multiple scores/wins in a match (at least in my opinion).  With DOMINATION, a blader will be as good as his weakest combo so combo-building will be a huge part of the game.  It will separate those bladers who are just riding the success of meta combos from those who actually knows how to build combos, have a wider knowledge on favorable matchups, and knows when to use a counter-combo.  Are you really one of the BEST players, or are you only good because you are using the BEST combos?

2.  I know that players love the counter-picking mechanic in WBO Deck Format, and Domination also features that mechanic.  This time, players need to widen their knowledge on counter-picking since you now have 5 Combos to manage and figure out.  Some niche combos might see some action since it probably won’t get banned...or won’t it?   For me, the main feature of Burst series is the combo building and this match type will bring out the best of it!

3.  Why only one driver variant is allowed? The main features of this format is the Ban Phase and I want it to be impactful! If you will ban a Beyblade with a Bearing Drift combo but your opponent still has a Metal Bearing Drift Combo, then the ban will somehow become irrelevant. I want this format to promote smart combo/lineup building and carefully planned combo synergies.  That will not be possible if someone could just use a variant of a banned driver.

4.  Why implement a spin changing rule? Personally, I believe it is long overdue that WBO needs to experience this gimmick! Some consider it Overpowered, some don’t.  Since you can ban 1 bey, it’s up to the player to decide if it is really a threat or not.

5.  Why submit a combo list before a tournament? I marked this as optional, but I highly suggest submitting a combo list before the tournament in order to prevent ILLEGAL or unsportsman-like scouting. I consider it as illegal if a player scouted an opponent’s combo, then directly making counter combos based on what they saw. In this format, a LEGAL scouting is preparing/planning your ban and how you pick based on your scouted opponent’s lineup.  You plan your action within the limits of your prepared lineup of combos.  Again, the intention of Domination Format is combo building with some decision-making skills because match outcome will vary depending on what you ban, what you pick, and how you built your lineup. Submitting a combo list will also make the matches run faster since players have fixed lineup and doesn’t need to change combos from time to time.  Judges will have the list and check them during the Inspection Phase. Anyone caught changing lineup will be disqualified.  Since lineups are fixed, only one type of stadium should be used within the duration of a regular tournament.  

6.  Domination Match Type will be known for its “Ban Feature” and smart combo building, but it actually incorporates some elements of existing Match Types:
WBO Deck Format – Counter-picking by the loser against the winner of the previous match
P3C1 – It’s all about Mind Games! Like in a “Match Point” when both of you are down to your last 2 Beys and choosing which beyblade to use can win the game. Same can be said in choosing which beyblade to ban.
3v3 – The Round 1 Bey Reveal is like the reshuffle part of 3v3 since you have seen all your opponent’s combos and you decide what you feel is best to use for your matchup
WBBA 5G – Winning with 3 different Beyblades and spin change rule

7. Domination Match Type is designed for highly competitive Bladers and is not recommended to be used by beginners.  It is ideal for the Final Stages part of a tournament and it is recommended for big events like the BWC where all the experienced and pro bladers gather to test their skills against each other.  This is also recommended for experienced communities or play groups wanting to push their limits on Blading.  I suggest you try and test this match type by having the same lineups but with different bans in each match to see if you can win matchups depending on what you ban and how you counter-pick. Then you try building specialized lineups to see how it goes. For example, a lineup that targets left-spins, or maybe a more specific one that targets wind combo, etc.

CONCLUSION:
Beyblade Burst has officially ended and at some point, the meta will settle down.  This will lead to a stale meta, and OP parts/combos will arise since there will be no new release to counter them.  By introducing the new DOMINATION match type that features a Ban Phase and encourages creativity in building a lineup of at least 5 Combos, this will keep the game fresh and interesting.  There would be no consensus BEST combo, instead, it will be about having the BEST strategy and knowing how and when to use a surprise or lesser known combo.  The BEST blader will be tested based on SKILL and KNOWLEDGE of the game, not because of just riding the best combo.

I want to quote this because I want people to understand where I'm coming from on how a ban mechanic can be implemented in a 5-Bey format(or more). Please try to understand the Domination Match type and feel free to ask for clarification.  Take note that this is the Match Type that will be used in BWC: Dark Horseman, Round of 16, where the BEST bladers in each state/region will compete. I believe that no one wants to get eliminated in the first round of a single elimination so those aspiring to qualify for BWC: Dark Horseman should know how to play it.  This is a more advanced level of playing where there is an added layer of competitiveness on how you build your lineup together with how you plan your ban.  Each match will play differently depending on player's choice and strategy. This match type is not done overnight. I know it is long and some may call it a novel, but I call it a well thought match type. 

KEY Points:
- Reduces the impact of overpowered combo or part like BDr.
- Also gives solution on using spin-changing beys. (C'mon, Burst has already ended and BeybladeX is fast approaching, while WBO pips are still deprived of this gimmick!)
- You cannot abuse a combo because you can only win one time with it.
- Promotes combo building and strategizing your lineup based on what you plan to ban.
- Is a Blader only good because he has the best/meta combo? Take away both players' best combo and find out who can manage to win! It will be the Blader's skill/knowledge over the best combo, instead of the Best combo just carrying the blader.

(Mar. 09, 2023  7:43 PM)bladekid Wrote:
(Mar. 09, 2023  7:13 PM)originalzankye Wrote: Yeah this pretty much sums up my thoughts on it, you put it perfectly.
Thanks, glad I can help! Thanks for starting this thread in the first place, I hope it will lead to change and ultimately help the format!

I agree with your point about the the "optimal" combo because it is basically another term for the best combo. The optimal combo usually have most of the best parts. The question is, if it gets banned in your match, can you still manage to win? Or are you just reliant on the best combo instead of your own skill and knowledge? If you read and understand my proposed Domination match type, you will know what I mean.

Let me emphasize again the importance of having a "LONG TERM" solution. In the long run, players will learn what the optimal build or the best combos to use. Without new Burst releases, the meta will not change anymore once it is figured out. The meta will come to a point where it becomes boring and stagnant. By injecting an unknown variable of a ban system in a 5-Bey format, the meta will become dynamic and it will feature far more different matchups. A 5-Bey Domination(D5) format have 25 different possible matchups compared to 9 on a 3-Bey format. It can be increased to 36 in D6 or 49 in D7. (No need to push it beyond D7 because it will be too much) I wouldn't recommend this match type if Beyblade Burst didn't end. Now it needs a self balancing mechanic through the use of a Ban System within the game.

Also, don't compare different beyblade generations because it is like comparing apples and oranges. Both are fruits, but they taste differently. Both generations are beyblades, but they play differently. Each generation is a stand alone and hopefully people will not compare and try too hard to make BeybladeX in the image of their preferred previous generations..
(Mar. 11, 2023  7:13 AM)versusENDEV Wrote:
(Mar. 05, 2023  11:55 AM)versusENDEV Wrote: DOMINATION Match Type
- Main goal is to dominate your opponent, but the game mechanics makes it hard for you to do that
- The objective is to reach the target number of WINS using different beyblades
- Promotes creativity in building combos
- Features a Ban Phase

Domination Five – D5 (Has the option to go as high as D9, applicable to any stadium)
Rules:
1.  Your Lineup should consist of 5 Beyblades with no repeating parts.  
2.  Your Lineup should have no repeating driver variants. It is considered a VARIANT if they share a common name but varies because of having: –dash, metal-, or high-. Example: Metal Bearing Drift and Bearing Drift
3.  You MAY use only ONE spin changing Beyblade. (dual spin blade with dual spin core)
4.  If you decided to use ONE spin changing bey, you can also use other dual spin blade/core as long as you pair them with single spin core/blade.
5.  A list of your lineup should be submitted at the start of the tournament. Lineup change is not allowed within the tournament. You will be disqualified if you use other bey/parts not on the submitted lineup of beys. (optional but recommended)
6.  The Match starts with both players revealing ALL their beys for the judge and opposing players to inspect.
7.  After inspection phase, each player will take their take opponent's Beys and choose which Beyblade to ban.
8.  Ban Phase: Both players will reveal at the same time which beyblade they chose to ban, then returns the remaining 4 Beyblades respectively. Banned Beys will be handed over to the judge.  You cannot use the Banned Beyblade for that match.
9.  After the Ban Phase will be the Battle Rounds Phase.  
10.  A Domination “Match” will consist of the following phases:
            a. INSPECTION Phase
            b. BAN Phase
            c. BATTLE ROUNDS Phase
11.  Each “Battle Rounds” will consist of the following phases:
            a. INSPECTION Phase
            b. BAN Phase
            c. BATTLE ROUNDS Phase
                       i. Bey Reveal Phase
                       ii. Mode Change Phase
                       iii. Battle Phase
12.  BEY REVEAL Phase
           a. For the First Round, both players will reveal their chosen beyblades at the same time.  (From his 4 remaining Beyblades)
           b. For the succeeding Rounds, the winner of the previous round will pick his bey first before the loser chooses his counter-pick.
           c. If the match score gets tied at 2-2 just before the last point, both players will reveal their chosen beyblade at the same time from their 2 remaining Beyblades. This tied scenario before the final point will be called the “Match Point”.
           d. In case of a DRAW, the round will not be re-played. Players will move to the next round and will reveal their chosen Bey at the same time. Players cannot choose the Bey that got the draw on the previous round, so they need to pick from their other remaining Beys.  
13.  MODE CHANGE Phase
           a. First, both players should turn around from each other to conceal their mode change.
           b. Both players may or may not do a mode change into:
                   i. high/low mode
                   ii. spin direction
                   iii. Removal of +Z/+X attachments
                   iv. part-specific mode changes like Quattro tip change, S Gear fixed/free, etc.
14. Battle Phase:  
            a. In Domination Match Type, WINNING Beyblades are counted instead of points regardless of whether it is a 2pts Burst, a KO, or Outspin.  
            b. Whenever a player wins a round, the player will hand over his winning bey to the judge and he cannot use it again for the remainder of the match. (just to keep track of the beys that already won)
            c. For a Domination Five (D5), first player to win with 3 different beyblades, wins the MATCH. (win with 4 Beys if D6 and up to win with 7 Beys if D9, there will always be one banned bey and 2 beys to choose from when it goes to match point)
            d. A “TOTAL DOMINATION” happens when one of the players did not score a single point!
            e. A “MATCH POINT” happens when score gets tied before the last point of the match(2-2 tied score in D5). Both players will reveal their chosen bey at the same time from the 2 remaining Beyblades that they have.

Thought process in creating this Match Type Format:
1.  Some players are now worried that certain combo, or parts like Bearing Drift, is becoming overpowered and is a candidate for a part getting banned in tournaments.  My solution is not to completely ban the part, but instead let the players decide if they don't want to deal with it by introducing a “Ban Phase” in the match.  Take note that in this match type, you need to win with at least 3 different beyblades in a Match.  A combo becomes EVEN MORE OVERPOWERED if it can get multiple scores/wins in a match (at least in my opinion).  With DOMINATION, a blader will be as good as his weakest combo so combo-building will be a huge part of the game.  It will separate those bladers who are just riding the success of meta combos from those who actually knows how to build combos, have a wider knowledge on favorable matchups, and knows when to use a counter-combo.  Are you really one of the BEST players, or are you only good because you are using the BEST combos?

2.  I know that players love the counter-picking mechanic in WBO Deck Format, and Domination also features that mechanic.  This time, players need to widen their knowledge on counter-picking since you now have 5 Combos to manage and figure out.  Some niche combos might see some action since it probably won’t get banned...or won’t it?   For me, the main feature of Burst series is the combo building and this match type will bring out the best of it!

3.  Why only one driver variant is allowed? The main features of this format is the Ban Phase and I want it to be impactful! If you will ban a Beyblade with a Bearing Drift combo but your opponent still has a Metal Bearing Drift Combo, then the ban will somehow become irrelevant. I want this format to promote smart combo/lineup building and carefully planned combo synergies.  That will not be possible if someone could just use a variant of a banned driver.

4.  Why implement a spin changing rule? Personally, I believe it is long overdue that WBO needs to experience this gimmick! Some consider it Overpowered, some don’t.  Since you can ban 1 bey, it’s up to the player to decide if it is really a threat or not.

5.  Why submit a combo list before a tournament? I marked this as optional, but I highly suggest submitting a combo list before the tournament in order to prevent ILLEGAL or unsportsman-like scouting. I consider it as illegal if a player scouted an opponent’s combo, then directly making counter combos based on what they saw. In this format, a LEGAL scouting is preparing/planning your ban and how you pick based on your scouted opponent’s lineup.  You plan your action within the limits of your prepared lineup of combos.  Again, the intention of Domination Format is combo building with some decision-making skills because match outcome will vary depending on what you ban, what you pick, and how you built your lineup. Submitting a combo list will also make the matches run faster since players have fixed lineup and doesn’t need to change combos from time to time.  Judges will have the list and check them during the Inspection Phase. Anyone caught changing lineup will be disqualified.  Since lineups are fixed, only one type of stadium should be used within the duration of a regular tournament.  

6.  Domination Match Type will be known for its “Ban Feature” and smart combo building, but it actually incorporates some elements of existing Match Types:
WBO Deck Format – Counter-picking by the loser against the winner of the previous match
P3C1 – It’s all about Mind Games! Like in a “Match Point” when both of you are down to your last 2 Beys and choosing which beyblade to use can win the game. Same can be said in choosing which beyblade to ban.
3v3 – The Round 1 Bey Reveal is like the reshuffle part of 3v3 since you have seen all your opponent’s combos and you decide what you feel is best to use for your matchup
WBBA 5G – Winning with 3 different Beyblades and spin change rule

7. Domination Match Type is designed for highly competitive Bladers and is not recommended to be used by beginners.  It is ideal for the Final Stages part of a tournament and it is recommended for big events like the BWC where all the experienced and pro bladers gather to test their skills against each other.  This is also recommended for experienced communities or play groups wanting to push their limits on Blading.  I suggest you try and test this match type by having the same lineups but with different bans in each match to see if you can win matchups depending on what you ban and how you counter-pick. Then you try building specialized lineups to see how it goes. For example, a lineup that targets left-spins, or maybe a more specific one that targets wind combo, etc.

CONCLUSION:
Beyblade Burst has officially ended and at some point, the meta will settle down.  This will lead to a stale meta, and OP parts/combos will arise since there will be no new release to counter them.  By introducing the new DOMINATION match type that features a Ban Phase and encourages creativity in building a lineup of at least 5 Combos, this will keep the game fresh and interesting.  There would be no consensus BEST combo, instead, it will be about having the BEST strategy and knowing how and when to use a surprise or lesser known combo.  The BEST blader will be tested based on SKILL and KNOWLEDGE of the game, not because of just riding the best combo.

I want to quote this because I want people to understand where I'm coming from on how a ban mechanic can be implemented in a 5-Bey format(or more). Please try to understand the Domination Match type and feel free to ask for clarification.  Take note that this is the Match Type that will be used in BWC: Dark Horseman, Round of 16, where the BEST bladers in each state/region will compete. I believe that no one wants to get eliminated in the first round of a single elimination so those aspiring to qualify for BWC: Dark Horseman should know how to play it.  This is a more advanced level of playing where there is an added layer of competitiveness on how you build your lineup together with how you plan your ban.  Each match will play differently depending on player's choice and strategy. This match type is not done overnight. I know it is long and some may call it a novel, but I call it a well thought match type. 

KEY Points:
- Reduces the impact of overpowered combo or part like BDr.
- Also gives solution on using spin-changing beys. (C'mon, Burst has already ended and BeybladeX is fast approaching, while WBO pips are still deprived of this gimmick!)
- You cannot abuse a combo because you can only win one time with it.
- Promotes combo building and strategizing your lineup based on what you plan to ban.
- Is a Blader only good because he has the best/meta combo? Take away both players' best combo and find out who can manage to win! It will be the Blader's skill/knowledge over the best combo, instead of the Best combo just carrying the blader.

(Mar. 09, 2023  7:43 PM)bladekid Wrote: Thanks, glad I can help! Thanks for starting this thread in the first place, I hope it will lead to change and ultimately help the format!

I agree with your point about the the "optimal" combo because it is basically another term for the best combo. The optimal combo usually have most of the best parts. The question is, if it gets banned in your match, can you still manage to win? Or are you just reliant on the best combo instead of your own skill and knowledge? If you read and understand my proposed Domination match type, you will know what I mean.

Let me emphasize again the importance of having a "LONG TERM" solution. In the long run, players will learn what the optimal build or the best combos to use. Without new Burst releases, the meta will not change anymore once it is figured out. The meta will come to a point where it becomes boring and stagnant. By injecting an unknown variable of a ban system in a 5-Bey format, the meta will become dynamic and it will feature far more different matchups. A 5-Bey Domination(D5) format have 25 different possible matchups compared to 9 on a 3-Bey format. It can be increased to 36 in D6 or 49 in D7. (No need to push it beyond D7 because it will be too much) I wouldn't recommend this match type if Beyblade Burst didn't end. Now it needs a self balancing mechanic through the use of a Ban System within the game.

Also, don't compare different beyblade generations because it is like comparing apples and oranges. Both are fruits, but they taste differently. Both generations are beyblades, but they play differently. Each generation is a stand alone and hopefully people will not compare and try too hard to make BeybladeX in the image of their preferred previous generations..
Alright so, lemme break this down: 

1 "long term solution": I do understand the domination style format actually, and the idea of bans is something I'm familiar with for sure as someone who plays competitive smash bros. I like the idea of bans actually, but I don't quite think it works in this context, as besides very special cases, this ban is only gonna be on one thing: bdr. It would be be like if great cave offensive (giant, hazardous, and completely unplayable smash bros stage) was added to the smash bros stage list. It's a bad Idea to have it in, but you could always argue "just ban it if you don't like it". Yeh, but the problem is that it just becomes and autoban no matter what cuz it's clearly the most awful option to play on. Same goes for beyblade, it's always gonna be Bdr because if you don't ban it, it has little to no counterplay. 
The problem is when you have an "optimal" combo, it gets banned no matter what unless the opponent makes a mistake. Like I don't like this argument, cuz I think beyblade tournaments are every man for themselves, if you lose, "git gud" and the likes, but I'll make thw argument anyway. How unfair is it to children that don't know the meta? They don't know how broken Bdr is without prior context, and unless you're up against someone who knows the meta, you just get to use your broken part anyway. 

2. "Don't compare beyblade generations, they aren't the same": TRUE! I agree, but I also know that some contexts just don't change. I'm not comparing them because they're beyblades, I'm comparing them cuz it's a competitive game. The rule of "If thing is broken, ban it" applies to every competive game, not just this one. Like Steve just got banned in smash cuz of how broken he is, it's not a new concept. Like this even applies to Game of Griffins: which is my own card game where every character is peter griffin. Even though I was the only player just play testing stuff, I either had to rework or ban some cards cuz they were too broken. 

Finishing thoughts here: I don't actually think your banning idea is a bad one, I actually think it's good, yeah, you might not think it, but I believe it would be a very cool type of format, 5v5 with one ban on a combo and all its parts. Mad cool. But here, it doesn't work, and it doesn't work because of the domination of Bdr. Let's go back to older standard, before even wind came out. If I wanted a 5v5 deck, I would have a guilty Xtreme, an Astral right on Bearing', a Vanish on Hxt+', dynaF on moment, and a roar on Drift. That would be my lineup. If i had one ban, I'd ban guilty on X'. Let's say someone banned my guilty, well that's simple, I'd say "gee, nice ban, good thinking. An attack bey like that is quite good, let me think" and now, I'd have to play the game more. If the ban was always Bdr, then it would just become the same standard with no bans, and everyone knows to ban wind on Bdr, or Bdr in general. You have a great idea on your hands, but the context of the situation is what's holding it back. Ban Bdr and let's work together on a ban based sub format!

(Also side note, having pre submissions is a bad idea, all it does is remove that element of adaptability and counterplay in beyblade. The domination style format works perfectly fine without the need to limit to one deck.)
I specifically mentioned whom Domination type is for. In case you didn't know, WBO already started to label the difficulty of match types and who is it for. Don't underestimate any kid, everyone started as a beginner. Deck format was for advanced players before but now almost everyone knows how to play it. I think we can all agree that deck format is the best 3-bey match type format. We don't need to change it. Don't fix it if it is not broken.

BDr will not be an auto ban in Domination Format. You are assuming players don't have the ability to adapt to the format. The best players will, and that what separates them from the others. It depends on how you build your lineup. If you put it on S-tier blades like wind or dynamitef, surely it will get banned. If you put it on A-tier or B-Tier blades like Burst or Cyclone, it has the potential to upset a matchup if you don't ban it. But if you ban it, your opponent's other combos like dynaF-hxt+', wind-bearing', guilty-x', and a spin changing world-drift will be free. Now, was it really the correct ban? Maybe, maybe not. It is up to the players to decide which of the opponent's combo is the biggest threat to their lineup. You, may consider cyclone-BDr as the threat but others won't, so don't generalize that BDr combos are auto ban. It will depend on how a player build his lineup and his decision which bey to ban. This is why I call it a dynamic meta, because there is an unknown variable of ban that depends on player's preference. It makes players adjust their combo or risk getting banned. It results to a more balanced combos in a lineup.

Another result is niche combos, for example barricade-drift will see play. It shuts down left-spins and if you ban it, the other 4 combos gets through. There are bigger threats than niche combos and this is just one example. Who knows, anyone can have a surprise combo that they can use now. Any combo can be viable if you know how to use it and if you can give it a favorable matchup when you counter-pick. That is the variety it can provide which everyone is looking for.

A player can also choose not to ban the biggest threat and instead choose to ban the 2nd threat because he can let the single point by the best combo pass, as long as the remaining combos have a hard time to win. It will really depend on the player's strategy based on the lineups presented. There are multiple strategies that you can do and are still to discover. It will provide different ways to win and who executes their strategy well.

Players can no longer abuse a combo that can give multiple points. It is time to prove their skills that they can also win with other combos and not only because of a powerful combo that is carrying them.

Lineup submission for domination is optional but is recommended and I have already explained there why. You should change your lineup in the next tournament because if you keep changing it after each match, you can't really gauge your lineup that way. You need to have a system to test how good is your lineup and you also need a practice partner to test lineups so that you won't do that in an actual tournament. You have 5(4) beys to choose from to counter-pick your opponent, if you built your lineup properly, you won't have much problem choosing which bey to use.
(Mar. 11, 2023  6:51 PM)bladekid Wrote: Alright so, lemme break this down: 

1 "long term solution": I do understand the domination style format actually, and the idea of bans is something I'm familiar with for sure as someone who plays competitive smash bros. I like the idea of bans actually, but I don't quite think it works in this context, as besides very special cases, this ban is only gonna be on one thing: bdr. It would be be like if great cave offensive (giant, hazardous, and completely unplayable smash bros stage) was added to the smash bros stage list. It's a bad Idea to have it in, but you could always argue "just ban it if you don't like it". Yeh, but the problem is that it just becomes and autoban no matter what cuz it's clearly the most awful option to play on. Same goes for beyblade, it's always gonna be Bdr because if you don't ban it, it has little to no counterplay. 
The problem is when you have an "optimal" combo, it gets banned no matter what unless the opponent makes a mistake. Like I don't like this argument, cuz I think beyblade tournaments are every man for themselves, if you lose, "git gud" and the likes, but I'll make thw argument anyway. How unfair is it to children that don't know the meta? They don't know how broken Bdr is without prior context, and unless you're up against someone who knows the meta, you just get to use your broken part anyway. 

2. "Don't compare beyblade generations, they aren't the same": TRUE! I agree, but I also know that some contexts just don't change. I'm not comparing them because they're beyblades, I'm comparing them cuz it's a competitive game. The rule of "If thing is broken, ban it" applies to every competive game, not just this one. Like Steve just got banned in smash cuz of how broken he is, it's not a new concept. Like this even applies to Game of Griffins: which is my own card game where every character is peter griffin. Even though I was the only player just play testing stuff, I either had to rework or ban some cards cuz they were too broken. 

Finishing thoughts here: I don't actually think your banning idea is a bad one, I actually think it's good, yeah, you might not think it, but I believe it would be a very cool type of format, 5v5 with one ban on a combo and all its parts. Mad cool. But here, it doesn't work, and it doesn't work because of the domination of Bdr. Let's go back to older standard, before even wind came out. If I wanted a 5v5 deck, I would have a guilty Xtreme, an Astral right on Bearing', a Vanish on Hxt+', dynaF on moment, and a roar on Drift. That would be my lineup. If i had one ban, I'd ban guilty on X'. Let's say someone banned my guilty, well that's simple, I'd say "gee, nice ban, good thinking. An attack bey like that is quite good, let me think" and now, I'd have to play the game more. If the ban was always Bdr, then it would just become the same standard with no bans, and everyone knows to ban wind on Bdr, or Bdr in general. You have a great idea on your hands, but the context of the situation is what's holding it back. Ban Bdr and let's work together on a ban based sub format!

(Also side note, having pre submissions is a bad idea, all it does is remove that element of adaptability and counterplay in beyblade. The domination style format works perfectly fine without the need to limit to one deck.)

Agreed BladeKid! The main focus should be on Bearing Drift itself!

As th!nk has already pointed out before on his post BDr being banned (optionally chosen by organizers) allows for a good long term solution for other parts to be viable without it being "Burst Standard BDr edition". 

I don't think the convo needs to be complicated, and I feel most of what was said that was relevant in regards to TSO, Th!nk, etc... that have given their input is great!

I think the next step moving forward should be replies on here for any experimental events on the optional ban and feedback!

That way we can look at it better and make notes.
(Mar. 14, 2023  1:26 AM)originalzankye Wrote:
(Mar. 11, 2023  6:51 PM)bladekid Wrote: Alright so, lemme break this down: 

Agreed BladeKid! The main focus should be on Bearing Drift itself!

As th!nk has already pointed out before on his post BDr being banned (optionally chosen by organizers) allows for a good long term solution for other parts to be viable without it being "Burst Standard BDr edition". 

I don't think the convo needs to be complicated, and I feel most of what was said that was relevant in regards to TSO, Th!nk, etc... that have given their input is great!

I think the next step moving forward should be replies on here for any experimental events on the optional ban and feedback!

That way we can look at it better and make notes.
For sure, I agree!
I think I didn't make quite enough of a point about the implications of the parts' dominance over stamina.

Here is my rough list of the drivers BDr pushes out of the metagame. The recent Maryland WC list shows this - it's mostly just BDr, Dr and attack drivers.

(Feb. 28, 2023  12:26 AM)th!nk Wrote: I'll elaborate later but I strongly support this. BDr/MBD oppress all of the following:
Both spins: Mm, Mm', Br, Br', HXt+', MNv, Nv, HWv', Wv', Zn'+HasZ, Zn'+Z, Xt+
Opp spin: Mb, Rs, HCh' (Awakened), Al
Same Spin: Kc, Qt, Qt', Y, Zn'

To the point most of them are now pointless (esp the same spin options) or at the very least heavily outclassed. Even Dr, MDr, and BMb really struggle to do much - only the most painfully min-maxed drift combos can really approach the opposite spin performance of a well tuned BDr combo, and BMb suffers from pretty severe inconsistency in the match up.

As I've said previously, I do not subscribe to the idea HXt+' can beat a well tuned dynaf il bdr. Maybe it could beat wind bdr (like Wv' can), but dynaf wins the mirror and is better in every way but defense - and BDr isn't surviving big hits even on Wind. It may also be the part variance, Dan can attest to that.

This has another big impact and one that will get worse with time. The two drivers of which at least one is a must-have for stamina are 1) in a large, late release set or 2) $300-600 already. It is also quite possible Hasbro won't release them at all either. Having these be vital parts to a format means anyone who can't obtain them is at a huge disadvantage when the alternative provides a broad range of dual spin options that have been pretty easily accessible and all compete fairly equally performance wise (*testing may be needed for Mm', I plan to do this as soon as I get mine). As someone who plays a lot of older series, I can also tell you this problem is going to get a lot worse - RDF does similarly horrible things in MFS (worse, perhaps, it is kind of an indictment that we haven't banned it) and that is kind of annoying to get... And was a standard, non-set release. This will be even worse. Going forward, Burst will become highly inaccessible, so at the very least having the option for a more accessible version of Burst Standard would quite simply be good foresight.

I will say that I'm also okay with a flat ban on BDr and MBD if need be, I would rather not have them than have them always if it comes down to it. I also don't think radically redesigned formats are the solution to this particular issue.
I have been doing some testing on the format without BDr - keep in mind I don't have Mm' which may take some things out of the equation (eg Kick has a bit more trouble than the other same spin stuff). Just wanted to visualise the situation:

What if you wanted a varied, well balanced and accessible format like so:
[Image: oEuxDYG.jpeg]

But systemic unwillingness to just ban things that are bad for the health of the game said:
[Image: AJP1RO9.jpeg]

Things in Same beat a good number or all of the Dual options, same with the Opp options, while the dual options don't have a clear best (Br and Br' are a bit weaker than the others imo). Zn+Z and Zn'+Z are a little dicier in opposite but still do well and have defensive utility enough to be viable choices. There are no competitive pure Same Spin options with BDr/MBD legal imo.

These are all of the things I would list (and mostly have previously listed) on a competitive combos list. I think put visually it should be confronting to anyone who isn't burying their head in the sand of their own ideology. Maybe I'm being harsh but playing around with this stuff... Looking at the amount of options and the level of interactions that we have just said No Thanks to... It makes me legitimately emotional.
I have a little bit of a thinkpiece here. CrisisCrusher07 made what I think is probably the most robust and most aesthetically pleasing suggestion as a solution to this (and other issues with Standard formats).
Crisis' solution was an additional standard format named 'limited' based on the Standard power level, i.e. with the latest releases. At first I thought it was uneccessary fluff compared to an optional ban, but I quickly realised it is actually a very good process for managing the reluctance to banning things from Standard formats (which we also see with RDF in MFB, and the struggle it was to get F230CF/GCF banned from Zero-G).
I have a slightly different take - I think our Flagship events should aim to be as healthy as possible, with care given to accessibility and variety - this is already what we aim to do with non-Standard formats, and IMO it should be the goal with a flagship format too. However, it is also true that at the end of the day, these parts are released and people should be able to play with them, or play a 'full' format. One where we do allow the "whole" game to be played.
There are parallels to this available, the one I am most familiar with is Ubers or AG in competitive Pokemon. You have the main OU format which is kind of considered the "standard", while also having a format where you can use whatever. This allows us to have both a format with all of the latest parts and one that has this, but also has a stronger focus on format quality.

So, what I am proposing is the Standard formats changing to be more permissive of bans on parts that do hurt the format (such as BDr/MBD for BST, RDF for MFS, F230CF/GCF for ZGS), like other "limited" type formats, and an Unlimited format which allows the use of all parts, even those that are perhaps unhealthy. It is, in my mind, a good way to justify having a split without a somewhat less aesthetically pleasing set of Optional clauses.

This would be aiming to make our flagship events as competitive and engaging as possible while also still having a pretty inevitably popular "use whatever" format, which decouples our desire to have everything legal from our ability to adequately manage game quality - allowing us to be a bit more permissive and a bit quicker with bans as the decision wouldn't involve as much ideology.

This also has a huge advantage in making us more agile with the new generation if/when problem parts come up, we can ensure we are still allowing people to experience the "whole" format and quickly respond to overbearing releases that present an issue. Both would be able to be ranked as they are both valid ways to play the game, but we would provide a format that is actively managed by a community of players, organizers and thinkers who aren't beholden to making money from product sales but still uses the latest parts at release. This gets better too - it would provide a ranked format where we can see how new releases are interacting with banned parts in the field, making it easy to run helpful and experimentally sound events that demonstrate that it may be time for an unban. This saves a lot of hassle with the process (for example, we've seen very few events with rebounds allowed, and I suspect this may be because the trial isn't ranked - ranked tournaments generally see higher turnout, after all).

I imagine some won't see the point, but over the years I have watched the WBO struggle to be able to ban things from standard formats and a lot of time the excuse is wanting players to be able to use everything they buy. This lets us do that, and still have another "latest release" format that does have active and prompt management of bans - something that just couldn't be done anywhere but here.
(Mar. 25, 2023  1:53 PM)th!nk Wrote: I have a little bit of a thinkpiece here. CrisisCrusher07 made what I think is probably the most robust and most aesthetically pleasing suggestion as a solution to this (and other issues with Standard formats).
Crisis' solution was an additional standard format named 'limited' based on the Standard power level, i.e. with the latest releases. At first I thought it was uneccessary fluff compared to an optional ban, but I quickly realised it is actually a very good process for managing the reluctance to banning things from Standard formats (which we also see with RDF in MFB, and the struggle it was to get F230CF/GCF banned from Zero-G).
I have a slightly different take - I think our Flagship events should aim to be as healthy as possible, with care given to accessibility and variety - this is already what we aim to do with non-Standard formats, and IMO it should be the goal with a flagship format too. However, it is also true that at the end of the day, these parts are released and people should be able to play with them, or play a 'full' format. One where we do allow the "whole" game to be played.
There are parallels to this available, the one I am most familiar with is Ubers or AG in competitive Pokemon. You have the main OU format which is kind of considered the "standard", while also having a format where you can use whatever. This allows us to have both a format with all of the latest parts and one that has this, but also has a stronger focus on format quality.

So, what I am proposing is the Standard formats changing to be more permissive of bans on parts that do hurt the format (such as BDr/MBD for BST, RDF for MFS, F230CF/GCF for ZGS), like other "limited" type formats, and an Unlimited format which allows the use of all parts, even those that are perhaps unhealthy. It is, in my mind, a good way to justify having a split without a somewhat less aesthetically pleasing set of Optional clauses.

This would be aiming to make our flagship events as competitive and engaging as possible while also still having a pretty inevitably popular "use whatever" format, which decouples our desire to have everything legal from our ability to adequately manage game quality - allowing us to be a bit more permissive and a bit quicker with bans as the decision wouldn't involve as much ideology.

This also has a huge advantage in making us more agile with the new generation if/when problem parts come up, we can ensure we are still allowing people to experience the "whole" format and quickly respond to overbearing releases that present an issue. Both would be able to be ranked as they are both valid ways to play the game, but we would provide a format that is actively managed by a community of players, organizers and thinkers who aren't beholden to making money from product sales but still uses the latest parts at release. This gets better too - it would provide a ranked format where we can see how new releases are interacting with banned parts in the field, making it easy to run helpful and experimentally sound events that demonstrate that it may be time for an unban. This saves a lot of hassle with the process (for example, we've seen very few events with rebounds allowed, and I suspect this may be because the trial isn't ranked - ranked tournaments generally see higher turnout, after all).

I imagine some won't see the point, but over the years I have watched the WBO struggle to be able to ban things from standard formats and a lot of time the excuse is wanting players to be able to use everything they buy. This lets us do that, and still have another "latest release" format that does have active and prompt management of bans - something that just couldn't be done anywhere but here.
Yes. This makes sense. This is essentially how Yugioh does things. Just not split into 2 formats. They allow the new stuff to be played in their high level events for about 3 months or so, taking that time to examine the meta and seeing where problems lie. Then they ban/limit cards to balance out the meta. Sometimes they are forced to “kill” a specific deck, sometimes they just have nerf it. So this is what I think would be a very good step in the right direction.
(Mar. 25, 2023  1:53 PM)th!nk Wrote: I have a little bit of a thinkpiece here. CrisisCrusher07 made what I think is probably the most robust and most aesthetically pleasing suggestion as a solution to this (and other issues with Standard formats).

What Crisis said is what I would say is the best suggestion on the thread that was for a new idea, this is something that I believed in the wait time for Beyblade X that would've been good long term goals.

My original idea with the new Gen for releases would've been something like

July releases all legal
August release banned until proven good to be in or something along those lines with testings/unranked event 

Really the idea was just in real time proper balancing that way we don't suffer the same issues as past, I don't know if what I said works here or contributes a bit to Crisis but I agree with what was said.

I think sometimes we complicate a lot of things on banning when something like this can work out very effective, this could've been applied to things like GT or legacy formats even and hell Limited, I will ALWAYS prefer more options than limited options like "only this" or "only that" I am in support and 200% think this should be applied to WBO.
I'm 100% not opposed to a BDr ban but;
Is variety in stamina combos really necessary?
Attack has X', Qc' and a bunch of worse options,
Defense has Mb(?) and Zeal,
Balance has Ad+V, HCh', Ds' and Rs but none of them are too good,
Why does Stamina get to have 20+ parts?

(Don't get me wrong, I prefer 20+ viable stamina parts)
(Mar. 30, 2023  6:24 PM)tubitr Wrote: I'm 100% not opposed to a BDr ban but;

I addressed this here: https://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Burst-S...#pid184174
In addition, there isn't much that can be done with the other types without severely negatively impacting format balance/viability as a whole, so looking at it from that perspective is kind of misleading.
(Mar. 30, 2023  10:44 PM)th!nk Wrote:
(Mar. 30, 2023  6:24 PM)tubitr Wrote: I'm 100% not opposed to a BDr ban but;

I addressed this here: https://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Burst-S...#pid184174
In addition, there isn't much that can be done with the other types without severely negatively impacting format balance/viability as a whole, so looking at it from that perspective is kind of misleading.

Wouldn't banning BDr also make some drivers from other types more viable anyway just by account of them not having to pass a BDr test necessarily?
Where did we end on this topic? Sorry to revive an old thread, but I’m curious if anything was ever implemented, as I’m very interested to see how the optional format will look without BDr. Kinda feels like a big reset in terms of the meta, and might be a bit refreshing to see Never and Moment more often.