Brooklyn Beyblade Tournament Report: Empire City Strikes Back!

I just want to start of this report with thanking @[~Mana~], @[Shindog], @[Kei], @[Wombat], @[The Supreme One] and @[kjrules17] for helping out with everything from getting this tournament approved, logistical planning, advice, answering my questions. It’s very inspiring for me to have received so much help from people all over the US and and the World to make “Empire City Strikes Back” a reality. I also cannot forget to thank @[Ardmore Bladers], @[NatedogPhilly], and @[Vincen] for helping out as judges. You guys were tremendously instrumental in making this tournament run as smooth as it did.

Preparation is Key!

I was very surprised to see the turnout for Empire City Strikes Back given the fact that we were hit with rain again and further postponement seemed like a possibility. Despite that, we had 25 players show up ready to battle it out, rain or shine. What seemed to be gearing up to be a disaster of a tournament, shaped up to be one of the most memorable ones I’ve had the pleasure to be a part of. Players brought positive attitudes and upheld the highest standards of sportsmanship and support throughout the rainy day.

There were some tough decisions to be made logistically to make both participants and parents happy. We wanted to make sure that:

1) everyone was comfortable
2) the tournament would move quickly while also giving everyone a fair shot.

We did not have the luxury of an indoor alternative, so players came prepared for the weather. Judges had to use umbrellas to keep our 3 stadiums as dry as they could. This worked well and battles went undeterred by the rainy weather. Despite having 25 players, we decided to run Double Elimination as the rain was not showing any reals signs of letting up.

Some important things I learned after running Double Elimination:

• Proper seeding is SO important. At “Empire City Strikes Back”, I made sure that players were properly seeded according to their Bey Rank. This gave our new players a way more enjoyable experience as they did not have to go up against seasoned bladers right away and would face players on their skill level. This led to everyone feeling like they had a fair shot at the final. I also feel like this allowed for us to have two new, unranked players (@[CitrusNinja3] and @[supremeboss57]) place 2nd and 3rd respectively. I am very glad that the Organizer’s guide made seeding for Double Elimination very clear and easy to follow. Without it, I don’t think we would have ended with so many satisfied participants.
  • Prioritizing the Loser’s Bracket makes managing Double Elimination very efficient. This allowed for participants and their families to leave and avoid the bad weather when they were eliminated, while also allowing judges to more through matches at an efficient pace. Had we not consistently prioritized the Losers’s Bracket, “Empire City Strike Back” would have lasted way longer than it should have. Our tournament went from 12:20 PM to a little after 3:00 PM

I was very thankful for the Organizer's Guide for detailing this in such a way that is easy for any organizer to implement. Overall, taking great care to be as thoughtful as possible in our planning left us with happy participants who were excited for the next Brooklyn tournament.

Group Stage:

Final Stage:

Winning Combos:

Final Thoughts:

All in all, this tournament was a joy to host. While I did not do as well as I had hoped to do, I finally was able to experience what it would be like to run a tournament. Without the support from members of the WBO and the bladers that were able to make it out, I don’t think “Empire City Strikes Back” would have been as successful as it turned out to be. I’m excited to keep growing this community in NYC and hope you all can swing by at one point or another.

Thanks!
Awesome Tournament Report. Can't Wait To Go To The Next Since I Couldn't Make
Just going to correct a couple of things that you may have forgotten or not seen: NewRocChampion1's First Stage combo was czA.0G.At and Deck Format variation was with 7. (I see you remembered later on in the report) I used czS.0B.Br and czA.00P.Ds about equally in the First Stage. During the match against Ardmore, I believe that his hS KOd my czA immediately in round one, which is why I switched to czS. We kept exchanging Outspins until the score was 4-3 in my favor, but I think he got a KO to secure the victory.
(May. 10, 2019  12:49 AM)CitrusNinja3 Wrote: Just going to correct a couple of things that you may have forgotten or not seen: NewRocChampion1's First Stage combo was czA.0G.At and Deck Format variation was with 7. (I see you remembered later on in the report) I used czS.0B.Br and czA.00P.Ds about equally in the First Stage.  During the match against Ardmore, I believe that his hS KOd my czA immediately in round one, which is why I switched to czS. We kept exchanging Outspins until the score was 4-3 in my favor, but I think he got a KO to secure the victory.

Thanks for the clarification Citrus. I made the edits above. Much appreciated!
Sorry for the late post, I just want to clear up a few things about the final match. To my knowledge the battle went like this: my hS KOed CitrusNinja’s CZA 00P Ds instantly, he switched to CZS 0B Br and KOed my hS. I outspin him twice in a row, than he KOed me making the match 4-4. In the last battle I KOed him for the 6-4 win.
I'm glad to hear this went so well! Preparation definitely pays off, and it makes me happy to read how useful you found the Organizer's Guide. Good luck with your next event!
(May. 13, 2019  8:12 PM)Ardmore Bladers Wrote: Sorry for the late post, I just want to clear up a few things about the final match. To my knowledge the battle went like this: my hS KOed CitrusNinja’s CZA 00P Ds instantly, he switched to CZS 0B Br and KOed my hS. I outspin him twice in a row, than he KOed me making the match 4-4. In the last battle I KOed him for the 6-4 win.

Thanks Ardmore! I made edits to reflect your account of the match. Thanks for the help!