Beyblade Random Thoughts

(Nov. 06, 2015  8:30 PM)UGottaCetus Wrote: Wait... Deathscyther is good for stamina? I thought Wyvern was better..

How lol.... its so unbalanced and like all the plastic weight is on one side.

Weight all focused on the outside and on one side is actually a great basis for the pendulum or flywheel effect. You should read this article : http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Physics?...#pid897834 It adds some 'swing' to the spin, not to mention that Deathscyther is rather round overall, which has always been good for Stamina types.
That's great Kai-V, thanks for sharing! I wish we could have a physics expert regularly contribute content for us :'D

Wyvern is good for defense, not stamina, which it's pretty poor at.
I used to, in that topic, but if anybody has suggestions, I can look into starting again hah.
Are you really into physics? I didn't know, honestly ^^;
Thanks for clarifying. The physics are what makes Beyblade so awesome.
(Nov. 06, 2015  9:36 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: Are you really into physics? I didn't know, honestly ^^;

Well, the mechanics side of it more than optics and electricity, due to horrible teachers, but I do usually understand it hah.
(Nov. 06, 2015  8:37 PM)Kai-V Wrote:
(Nov. 06, 2015  8:30 PM)UGottaCetus Wrote: Wait... Deathscyther is good for stamina? I thought Wyvern was better..

How lol.... its so unbalanced and like all the plastic weight is on one side.

Weight all focused on the outside and on one side is actually a great basis for the pendulum or flywheel effect. You should read this article : http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Physics?...#pid897834 It adds some 'swing' to the spin, not to mention that Deathscyther is rather round overall, which has always been good for Stamina types.

Also, the plastic components of any Beyblade contribute a significantly smaller amount of mass than the metal parts do, so whatever imbalance Deathscyther has will have a small effect on the Beyblade as a whole.
Can't wait to unbox the Bursts I got, and for Monday to get some limited edition 4D beys. Will post pictures of all in one go Grin
I don't have the time to do it, and frankly I won't enjoy doing unboxing videos as much as I enjoy watching them. Hahaha.
From what I understand of the rules, player may not change their bey blade through the the course of the round once attached. For me in some ways what this seems to create is a situation where an unfavourable match up is unwinnable- the match in some ways can be considered predetermined. Back in the days of the Lightning Tank for example, many games outside mirror matches or combos specifically designed to beat the Lightning tank were pre conceived as being lost. In a meta game dominated by the Lightning Tank, a competitive player was essentially forced to play either the Lightning tank or a combo designed to beat it (Basalt 230?) reducing initiative and skill in the game. What I propose here is a change to the system where a player may change there custom in matches 2 and 3- I understand this may seem skeptical and unorthodox but it does bring a few exciting elements too the game. Firstly, it reduces idea of a predetermined loss; a player can feel confident knowing they may not lose the game due to an unfavourable matchup, reducing any player tilt. Next, it increases elements of skill in the game, again I want to use the Lightning Tank as an example as this era of bey blade is one I am quite comfortable in discussing.

Game 1: Lightning Tank (1) vs Earth Bull 145WD (2)
Okay so under this scenario Lightning tank would usually take the match, but if both players could switch customs for game 2, the turnout can be very different. An unseasoned player (1) may feel confident going into game 2 with the Lightning tank again whereas player 2 who may hold more skill may enter the game with a combo designed to beat the ligntning tank. On a really basic level this system periodically rewards a more skilled player. Please note this is just on a basic level, if both players would switch a situation is created where players would have anticipate what the opposing player may use adding a skills to the game like bluffing, double bluffing and body-language reading ect. In a tournament situation a minute would be suffice in deciding what combo the player should use. Game 3 would've especially skilful as you can take reads on how the opponent thinks ect. Now I just want to write about this really simply to see why your opinions are on such a format would be. Personally, I feel like a situation like this in the tournament would add a lot more skill to the game and be a exciting addition to the older meta games.
* Just a note : we do not use or really allow the use of nicknames anymore. The climate is a lot healthier in the community without anyone claiming combinations and giving them special names.

I actually agree with you that there should be a format where you get a sort of second chance within a match to change your customization, or not. You could remain confident with what you have, or you do not want to give the other person the opportunity to counter your combination, so you change yours too. Especially when you try customizations for the first time and you realise that despite how it fared in other tournaments or in tests, it actually performs terribly for you (Scythe in Limited ...), it could be a proof that you are a good Blader if you change that, rather than visibly losing the match from the start, as you mentioned.

I am not certain everyone would be favourable to transforming all tournaments into this format though; people would probably want to use it but only on given occasions.
I am all for this. I actually thought that this was how a battle went before I went to my first tourney. Lol. I think maybe you should pick deck of 3 combos, show them to your opponent and then you can choose out of those 3 for each round. That way choosing wont really slow the game down much and you and your opponent can both strategize based on each other's deck. But yeah, maybe not everyone would like it, so it would probably be a good idea to make it an optional format, at least to start.
Cool idea. I have been thinking ways that situations that you described could be avoided, but yours is a much simpler approach compared to anything I had come up with haha!

The biggest problem with making changes like this is that it's going to drastically extend the duration of tournaments. I think it could be doable if everyone could be more punctual with their matches. ;x
Glad people are open to the idea, I'll draft up a thread in detail soon!

(Nov. 08, 2015  4:29 PM)Kai-V Wrote: * Just a note : we do not use or really allow the use of nicknames anymore. The climate is a lot healthier in the community without anyone claiming combinations and giving them special names.

Apologies, used Lightning tank as that was how it was referred, in a historical context

(Nov. 08, 2015  5:06 PM)Zoroaste Wrote: I am all for this. I actually thought that this was how a battle went before I went to my first tourney. Lol. I think maybe you should pick deck of 3 combos, show them to your opponent and then you can choose out of those 3 for each round. That way choosing wont really slow the game down much and you and your opponent can both strategize based on each other's deck.
Seems like a good idea, I think some work on details overall needs to be done. The issue seems to be that it may perhaps be somewhat time consuming. However overall I do feel certain measures which I will discuss in the thread will combat this.
Tournaments usually take around two hours though, or perhaps three in average. India always hosts two formats per day for their tournaments. So, unless there are reasons that the event needs to end rather early in the day, I think the few extra delays are reasonable.

I think the three deck case format is still too constricted : if you realise that you made three initial bad choices after discovering what the opponent was using, especially if you were trying to cover your grounds and select three different types of Beyblades that do not necessarily counter theirs, it does not help either.
This is more or less the same idea proposed in this thread, but it's still cool that other people are thinking about it. I replied to the original thread, but seeing as how I am more mature (hopefully) and experienced with Beyblades/tournaments I'll toss my opinion out there again.

The way I see competitive Beyblade, there are three main components in deciding a match:
  • Parts/Customization: Involves owning or borrowing the necessary parts/equipment to be a "competitive" Beyblader and knowledge of how to optimize these parts to build the most powerful customs you can. Obviously a Blader who has access to all of the parts on the Competitive Customs list and knows which combos perform better in which areas will have an advantage over an understocked or less knowledgeable player.
  • Prediction: Involves making an educated guess or prediction of what Beyblade your opponent will use next, and choosing your own Beyblade accordingly. Factors that contribute to this include knowing or observing your opponent's "behavior" in tournaments (what type of combos they tend to use) and knowledge of how matchups work.
  • Application: Involves using launching techniques/applying your knowledge to the actual battle. Examples include Sliding Shoot vs. Tornado Stalling, launching Defense types aggressively, Gattyaki, Weak Launching, etc.

And the best Beybladers must be proficient in all three of these to win consistently; having only one or two of the three is not enough to be successful. An example (albeit one that unfortunately uses myself) would be my performance in Beydays 2012: I was relatively well stocked vs. the opponents in my Block and could put together top-tier combos, even though it was my first tournament I observed what my opponents used and predicted fairly well, but my application was utter carp. Angry Face, most notably, was able to exploit that when he beat me with a (technically) stock Thief Phoenic.

Using this ruleset, from my understanding, both Beybladers show their opponent and the Judge up to three combos they may use during the battle. There are then several rule variations that could potentially be retooled to emphasize one or more of the three components I mentioned over another (Note for all of these examples I'm using the hierarchy round < match < battle, where each match is what is currently considered a battle (best 3/5) and a battle can be either two or three matches):
  • Can Beyblades be re-used during a battle? - Despite the three-Beyblade system easing prediction to a more literal "rock-paper-scissors" game, if Beyblades can only be used once in a battle, it makes prediction much more stressful. If you pick a bad matchup, you won't have that potentially useful Beyblade to bail you out later. If Beyblades are reusable then the system is much more forgiving of poor predictions.
  • Can Beyblades be disassembled in between matches? - This is important for parts that are useful for multiple combos (Metal Faces, RF, Dragooon, BD145, B:D, Wyvang, etc.) and people who don't buy a ton of duplicates, if any. If someone wants to use Bahamdia Dragooon BD145R2F and Girago Dragooon B:D but only has one Dragooon they will have to choose which combo to use for the battle. If they can disassemble they can use Dragooon on both combos, as long as they are the exact same combos presented to the Judge/opponent earlier (maybe they could be written down or something?).
  • Will the winner be decided through match wins (best 2/3) or through round wins (like a Team Battle)? - Depending on how this system is scored it could put more emphasis on application. If it is cut-and-dry, best 2/3 matches, then prediction becomes more important to get your opponent in a bad matchup. If it is scored like a Team Battle, players have more of an incentive to try and fight their way out of a bad matchup, because even if they still lose 2-3 they will only be down "2-3" rather than "0-1".

The last factor I can think of how this would take a lot more time than a normal tournament now, so I think if this is ever implemented it should be a trial run like the F230CF/GCF ban. Depending on the decisions made about those rules I listed above this ruleset could be beneficial.

I'm reading way too much into this...
Currently, I'm competitively involved in Yu-Gi-Oh! and whilst I respect it is a different game and community in its own right, rounds are 50m- with local events being 4-5 round and larger events being upwards of 7. I respect that for many, the time for the completion of a beyblade tournament is quite long, changing this particular ruling does extend a vital element of the game:

(Nov. 08, 2015  8:03 PM)Wombat Wrote: [*]Prediction: Involves making an educated guess or prediction of what Beyblade your opponent will use next, and choosing your own Beyblade accordingly. Factors that contribute to this include knowing or observing your opponent's "behavior" in tournaments (what type of combos they tend to use) and knowledge of how matchups work.
For the most part I feel as though the element off prediction would be vital in this potential format.

Additionally, the more I think about it the more distasteful I feel towards limiting yourself too three beyblades. It feels almost redundant in a way to limit the element of prediction as well as limiting the extent of "bluffing".

On a practical note, how much more time would it take to implement this? If installed properly, with a 1 minute cap between rounds, I feel as though the overall event surely would not take much longer than it currently does- adding perhaps 15-20 minutes at a maximum I would imagine. The best way to do this would be through experimentation ect, as I would imagine there are more factors in the practicality of this.
You're right, the time increase would probably not be that drastic.

I had drafted this format up, but it was intended to be 1-on-1; would take too long for a full tournament unless there was a strict attendance cap or the rules were altered significantly. But maybe it can inspire you all to come up with something better?

Exhibition Format

- Each Blader comes prepared with five complete Beyblade customs, each with a different Layer

- Both Bladers are given three minutes to examine their opponent’s five combos, write notes, etc

- After 3 minutes have elapsed, each Blader secretly picks three Bey from their set of 5 to serve as their “deck” for the match, with one designated as the Starter. This Deck is revealed to the judge, but not the other player. All five Beyblades should be kept together so that the opposing Blader is unaware of the Deck’s true contents.

- A Bey is eliminated from play once it has been defeated three times.

- When a Blader’s Bey is eliminated from play, they must secretly select another Bey from their Deck. AFTER they do so but BEFORE they reveal their selection, the victorious player must declare if they will switch to another Bey in their Deck or continue with the victorious Bey.

- Once a Blader no longer has any Bey remaining in their deck, they lose the Exhibition Battle.
This exhibition format seems good. You should do a trial.
@[Bey Brad] , I'd like to do a trial for the Exhibition format in the upcoming tourney so as to help the community with a new format hehe.. If permitted and everyone participating in this tourney approves this, I would love to implement this Tongue_out
I absolutely love this idea. I think that this exhibition format, shortened to save time of course (maybe things like less beys, still do 3 out of 5 rounds or do single elimination (your bey loses once and it's out), strict time limits), would be the coolest format ever. I think we should really discuss this and give it a chance if others feel the same way as I do. I really like the idea of having a deck instead of just one bey. You are obviously still guessing at what your opponent will pick, but those guesses will be much more educated and choosing wrong once doesn't give you a near automatic loss.
All discussion on this idea of changing Beyblades between rounds of a BeyBattle should be moved to the following topic : http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-A-New-Ex...-Intensive
What is your favorite Burst Bey in terms of looks? Personally mine is Ragnaruk Wing Defence from the random booster. His colors are downright gorgeous!!
Mine is Trident Heavy Claw. It looks soooo nice!