Bakuten series: Do you like the English character names or Japanese ones better?

When talking about the series before Metal Fight, and coming to character names, which set of names do you like more? (I.E. Do you like Tyson or Takao more) If you ask me, I like the Japanese names more; I mean, for example, Mao is Chinese, so having her renamed Mariah in the dub just... ruins the foreign competitor sort of thing (good thing this sort of problem was mostly rectified in G-Revolution's dub).
I like english names more because I have been hearing those ever since I was like 3 year old.

for example. when I hear word Tyson. First (or Second) thing that comes in my mind is that beyblader but when I hear Takao it takes me like half second to realise it. So yeah lol just because I'm more familier with em
The dub is more popular and I always prefer it over the sub. So yeah, the English names! :)

The dub names are completely denaturing. To me, not understanding this is not caring that much about the actual show and the story it was meant to have before Nelvana destroyed it. Who would ever accept to go to Russia and meet a Tala and a Spencer who are supposed to be born and raised there...
I actually think I like Tyson better than takao because takao just sounds a bit weird
I prefer using the Japanese names mostly cause of nelvanas bastardisation of the dub (changing Kai's personality and the changing the names of the MFB blades)
For me, Tyson makes me think of American chicken nuggets. And I think the Chinese actual name for Rei is "Lei", meaning thunder. It does make sense.
I actually don't know which ones I prefer??? They both sound good to me. I guess I can't really decide? Takao seems strange to me because I'm not really used to it, but I'll get used to it over time. I wish they'd never change bed the names though, then we wouldn't have this issue at all.
I actually like the English names a lot!
Mmm... I prefer the names of the Japanese version because these better match with the nationality of the characters and teams.
I like the japanese names more because they have a deeper meaning and then not all Beybladers from the entire beyblade world have English names like most of the characters in the dub. That just ruins the backstory in my opinion.
(Jun. 21, 2017  5:41 PM)TL14 Wrote: I like the japanese names more because they have a deeper meaning and then not all Beybladers from the entire beyblade world have English names like most of the characters in the dub. That just ruins the backstory in my opinion.

True that.
Wasn't dragoon called seiryu. Personally I just find seiryu to be a cooler sounding name so imma say japanese names are better. Btw would dragoon being seiryu mean that draciel is genbu and driger is byakko and dranzer is Suzaku?
(Jul. 09, 2017  4:36 AM)Yblader1 Wrote: Wasn't dragoon called seiryu. Personally I just find seiryu to be a cooler sounding name so imma say japanese names are better. Btw would dragoon being seiryu mean that draciel is genbu and driger is byakko and dranzer is Suzaku?

The beyblades are called "Dragoon", "Dranzer", etc. The beasts they're based on are called "Seiryu", "Suzaku", etc.
I don't mind either. Though, after re-reading the manga and re-watching the show in the subs, I've come to far prefer the Jap names far more. Takao, Rei, Rai all sound cooler than me. Yuriy is also a big one. I hate that his name is Tala in the dub.
(Jan. 16, 2017  3:50 PM)Kai-V Wrote: The dub names are completely denaturing. To me, not understanding this is not caring that much about the actual show and the story it was meant to have before Nelvana destroyed it. Who would ever accept to go to Russia and meet a Tala and a Spencer who are supposed to be born and raised there...

When I was younger I used to prefer the dub names but as I got older I felt like it was really strange and disrespectful how much they tried to americanise Japanese characters or as you said Russian characters. I'm pretty sure the dub itself never refers to the Bladebreakers as being a Japanese team or even refer to the country at all.

It was also really inconsistent with the name changes Takao was renamed Tyson but his brother was still called Hiro? And Rei was changed to Ray because I don't know a difference of two letters would have been too hard to pronounce (!)
(In response to soysaucenation)

Having only just watched the original sub for the first time over the past few days.. (I know! And I call myself a die hard fan).. THIS had me feeling the most lied to.. sure Kai was portrayed as a cool and cold character in the dub.. but his personality in the sub.. well.. it’s just something else.. the dude isn’t even remotely likeable.

Can completely see why Tyson was the fave in the east and Kai in the west.

(Jan. 16, 2017  3:50 PM)Kai-V Wrote: The dub names are completely denaturing. To me, not understanding this is not caring that much about the actual show and the story it was meant to have before Nelvana destroyed it. Who would ever accept to go to Russia and meet a Tala and a Spencer who are supposed to be born and raised there...

I don’t really understand why they completely took out the idea of different nationalities in the dub.. there was nothing wrong with the Russian names either IMO..
i cant say anything, because i watch in Cantonese Dub. Hahaha.