Anatomy of an Outlier: Perfect Phoenix

[Image: yEMHnG9.gif]

Huzzah! I'm Deceased Crab! And recently I got second place in a Burst Standard tournament, during which I used a single bey combo for the entirety of the 6 round swiss format. I was undefeated until the final match, where my combo was justifiably KO'd by Judgement on Xtreme, and I switched to other beys and they too were KOed by Judgement.

The bey in question is Perfect Phoenix, with a level chip, 00Cross, on Xtend+. And this one is better than other versions using the same parts, and I have no idea why. It just is.
[Image: 4KxqpnJ.jpg]

This bey won against combos that it normally doesn't beat. It defeated an Archer Hercules combo during swiss. It defeated Orb Egis on Orbit Metal. It is... unusually good.

I saw maybe one other Perfect Phoenix during the tournament. Everyone else had moved on from it. But it's still quite good. So good that it carried me to the finals. Opponents knew I had it, and it didn't matter, it won anyway.

Let's break down the different parts of this bey, and let's talk about why it still works competitively in tournaments, and let's determine if there's something inherently strange about this one.

[Image: JQvSAfy.jpg]

Perfect Phoenix:
The Revive Phoenix core is from B-117. It is not interesting, aside from being the rare 1 in 72 Black variant. It looks very nice. Yami has tested the clicks, and says they are quite good. I can't find where the mold is listed on it, but I assume they only did one mold of the black variant.
The Dead Phoenix armor disc is from RL1 B-143 04. It is green and yellow. I used to have a black and red one, but I sold it. The stickers on it are so very worn. It has been through a lot of battles.

Level Chip:
It is green, from the RB13 B-130 06 Emperor Forneus. It is not especially noteworthy. Whether or not it's helping in any way is debatable. I think the green looks nice, especially when next to the armor disc.

00:
I used to use 0, but switched to 00 a while ago. This latest one I'm using is from the Legend Star Bey Set. It looks nice with the black Revive core. I checked, it has one star on it.

Cross:
Legend Star Bey Set. Very nice aesthetic. I use this one because it looks nice.

Xtend+:
My Xtend+ is made from the B-123 Xtend+ chip, and I believe my Xtend is from RB12 B-125 05 Deep Chaos. It is purple. It looks nice. The spring is decent. Not too weak, but I haven't compared it with other Xtend springs. Apparently it must be good. I run it exclusively on stamina mode, because Defense is not a problem for Perfect Phoenix, and anything launched correctly can function as attack. Looking at the image of it, it needs a good cleaning. I need to clean that. I'm sure being dirty doesn't affect its teeth or LAD, but it unsettles me.

The bey can and has burst. It's not unburstable. It is resilient. It is solid, it has good clicks, and most importantly, it has ridiculous LAD. It will either win or it will tie. Losing in a LAD match is rare for it, but it happens.

The armor disc is not immortal. In same spin matches, it can pop off, and then it's all up to which beys decide to bump into it. The power of litter is inscrutable, but Xtend+ doesn't seem to have as much trouble as other tips when dealing with the armor ring litter.

In the current meta, Perfect Phoenix is one of the safest picks, period. It can win LAD competitions against Lord, ChoS, Balkesh, etc., especially if yours is a weird outlier. It can sometimes stand up to the attacks of Zwei and Judgement. It can beat Orb Egis sometimes. It can beat Archer Hercules sometimes. It's not a surefire win, but it's definitely still safe.

Perfect Phoenix is better than you think it is. Certain parts or molds of Perfect Phoenix combos can defeat beys that it really shouldn't. Don't give up on this layer, it can take you far. And don't be surprised when a Perfect Phoenix beats a combo that it shouldnt: they are weird.
How does it stand up to a mirror match vs pP.Ω.Xt+?
I thought this combo gets slayed by Judgement Blitz Octa?
I can totally relate with my Perfect Phoenix being an extreme powerhouse winning almost every match. I usually use Outer instead of 00Cross though. I use the normal Phoenix core of B-117, the Dead Armor of B-131, the same Level Chip as DC's Perfect Phoenix, Outer from the Cho-Z Customize Set, and Xtend+ with the orange Xtend which comes from RBV11 B-118 04 Arc Bahamut 7Lift Xtend.

I used it over 3 tournaments (12 times) and out of those 12 times it only lost twice both times at the latest tournament I went to where for some reason it got oofed by Cho-Z Achilles Outer Eternal, and in a deck against Perfect Phoenix Sting Atomic, and Judgement Diabolos Blitz Destroy'. However even though it actually lost for once... well twice at the latest tournament I went to I still got 3rd.
(Sep. 23, 2019  3:07 AM)Armor Wrote: I thought this combo gets slayed by Judgement Blitz Octa?

Does it? I would imagine not. It wouldn't win on LAD, and you'd have to KO it certainly.

Biggster Wrote: Wrote:How does it stand up to a mirror match vs pP.Ω.Xt+?

A great question. I have no idea! I haven't had a mirror match in a while. Atomic would also work better than Xt+ I think.
(Sep. 23, 2019  2:49 AM)Biggster Wrote: How does it stand up to a mirror match vs pP.Ω.Xt+?
Most people believe pP.00C.Xt+ beats pP.Ω.Xt+ in same spin, but like all same spin matches, launch strength matters more. 00C is way better in opposite spin though.
(Sep. 23, 2019  4:39 AM)DeceasedCrab Wrote:
(Sep. 23, 2019  3:07 AM)Armor Wrote: I thought this combo gets slayed by Judgement Blitz Octa?

Does it? I would imagine not. It wouldn't win on LAD, and you'd have to KO it certainly.

A great question. I have no idea! I haven't had a mirror match in a while. Atomic would also work better than Xt+ I think.

Oh no, this combo bursts it. I wouldn’t say 100% of the time, but definitely over 50
Nice "review", would read more of them 11/10.
I really like this kind of posts.
(Sep. 23, 2019  4:39 AM)DeceasedCrab Wrote:

In response to your Judgment Blitz Octa question DeceasedCrab, here is a clip from Shindog’s channel of JA Bl Octa Zan vs pP 00C Xt+.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7jr1xFrMKOM
Well, that seems decisive. pP can indeed Burst from Judgement Octa, as well as endure KOs. I guess the weight does the trick. I have yet to experience a Burst on mine recently.
I stand by my claim. Perfect Phoenix never would've had a place in the meta if more people used 超A, Judgement, Orb Egis, and even Archer Hercules against it. Even Orb Egis 0 Star Keep beats pP.00C.Xt+, despite people thinking that it sucks.
Sure, there are aH and oE combos that are going to beat pP. But if your opponent doesn't bring out pP, what then? Now you're vulnerable.

On the other hand, unless your opponent has a great launch and decent luck, Lord and Zwei and Judgement will have issues against pP. Or maybe just mine
Did anyone else think this was a tournament trial banning Perfect Phoenix?
(Sep. 23, 2019  7:56 PM)#Fafnir Wrote: Did anyone else think this was a tournament trial banning Perfect Phoenix?

I thought it was a tournament too and almost didn’t read it
I have some test too see how it turned out.

pP 00C Xt+ vs jD Bl Oc (alternate launches, hard launch, both launched flat)
pP 00C Xt+ vs jD Bl Ds' (alternate launches, jD banked, hard launched, 1 tie redone)
(Sep. 25, 2019  10:45 AM)bekfastblader Wrote: I have some test too see how it turned out.

pP 00C Xt+ vs jD Bl Ds' (alternate launches, jD banked, hard launched, 1 tie redone)
That’s weird, how worn is your Judgment? I tested a very similar matchup yesterday and Phoenix basically got bodied. That might be due to my Judgment being quite literally mint condition, so it’s in its prime right now. I guess I can relate to the subject of this thread because my B3, in all of WBO history, has yet to lose an opposite spin LAD matchup. It’s just unstoppable, it can very easily beat pP combos, aH combos, oE combos, and sometimes even hS combos which is pretty incredible.
Oooh. I should like to try the pP against your B3 sometime.
(Sep. 25, 2019  9:48 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: Oooh. I should like to try the pP against your B3 sometime.

That would be like a 20 minute match lol
(Sep. 25, 2019  11:18 PM)Ardmore Bladers Wrote:
(Sep. 25, 2019  9:48 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: Oooh. I should like to try the pP against your B3 sometime.

That would be like a 20 minute match lol

But we have to know the truth! What will win, the unbreakable shield, or the halberd that can pierce any shield?

I play a lot of videogames.
(Sep. 25, 2019  7:40 PM)Ardmore Bladers Wrote:
(Sep. 25, 2019  10:45 AM)bekfastblader Wrote: I have some test too see how it turned out.

That’s weird, how worn is your Judgment? I tested a very similar matchup yesterday and Phoenix basically got bodied. That might be due to my Judgment being quite literally mint condition, so it’s in its prime right now. I guess I can relate to the subject of this thread because my B3, in all of WBO history, has yet to lose an opposite spin LAD matchup. It’s just unstoppable, it can very easily beat pP combos, aH combos, oE combos, and sometimes even hS combos which is pretty incredible.

My Judgement is pretty worn so I guess thats the reason. Don't have a mint judgement so can't really test accurately
How tight is the armor? Maybe it being super tight was the reason it survived the oE Om matchup?
Is Silver Wing's mold one with weaker teeth? Or is aB's Xt worse?