[4D] - A New Format Proposal

Poll: Would you be interested in playing a 4D-era MFB format?

Yes
95.96%
No
4.04%
Total: 100% 99 vote(s)
4D Format
A Proposal

11/11/2022 Update
Thank you so much to everyone who has run test events for 4D, played in test events, or simply experimented with the format independently!
Scroll down for the ban list update.

This is a somewhat ambitious proposal that I've been talking with the Indiana/Midwest Beyblading community about, as well as others on the WBO Discord and elsewhere - a new format in the spirit of MFB Limited, but based around late 4D era power levels.

Without further ado, the rules:

All rules match the MFB: Standard Format rulebook, with the exception of the following bans -
Similar to in MFB Limited, the objective of the bans is to maximize metagame diversity around a certain power level, allowing as many things as possible to compete without stifling each other.

Synchromes

All Synchromes are banned. Even the lightest Synchrome combos are significantly heavier than even the heaviest pre- Zero-G MFB, and so they universally pose a threat to balance, with their sheer weight making them defensively and often offensively effective by default.

Duo

Duo is an extremely strong part on multiple fronts; it is second only to Phantom in Stamina; it is arguably the best Defense Metal Wheel in 4D; and it is very effective against left-spin opponents thanks to its small diameter, smooth surface, and inherently high LAD due to its low, round, smooth shape. Duo competes with and generally outclasses many other 4D wheels due to this excellent combination of traits, so banning it lets other Defense and Stamina options step into the spotlight.

E230

In a similar fashion to Duo, E230 poses a serious threat in terms of both Defense and Stamina. Its width and weight inherently boost Stamina, block attacks, and improve recoil management, and its elevator gimmick enables it to destabilize opponents, threatening many same-spin opponents by simply existing. Unlike BD145, E230 has no issues with floor scraping, meaning that it has very little in the way of drawbacks compared to its massive benefits.

RDF

This infamous Tip combines top-tier Defense and top-tier LAD on a tall Tip capable of negating BD145's scraping problems. RDF allows Defense types to threaten almost any opposite-spin opponent without compromising their defensive strength, and gives dedicated spin equalization combos an option that is not at all easy to deal with, given that it can absorb attacks, compete with the best LAD setups, and even be launched aggressively to sneak in a KO or disrupt a Tornado Stall. It isn't unbeatable, but it is extremely dominant and is a major contributor to slow and typically boring "LAD wars" type gameplay.

UPDATE: 11/11/2022
Diablo + BD145

This is a combination ban. Diablo and BD145 may be used independently in separate combos, but together they create by far the heaviest combos in the format. The immense weight of these setups reinforces Diablo's status as an offensive and defensive powerhouse, creating a "rich get richer" scenario where alternative options for the Defense/Attack hybrid role simply can't keep up with the raw power of the already-strong Diablo enhanced by BD145, and where Diablo is often the clear choice to receive the coveted Boost Disk during Deck construction instead of other, lighter Metal Wheels.

Banlist Update - 11/11/2022
After hearing feedback from test events over these past months, I believe a relatively small further adjustment to the 4D Format banlist is necessary. The use of the Diablo Metal Wheel and the Boost Disk 145 Track on the same Beyblade is now banned. While it would generally be preferable to avoid bans of combinations of parts for the sake of simplicity, neither part is independently strong enough to warrant a full ban, and both independently have a lot of positive influence in the format. It is only together that these two parts are a threat to the health of the format, and so going forward, the combination of these two will be banned in a similar manner to Zero-G Format's F230GCF/CF ban.

Pre-update text [prior to 11/11/2022]
With that in mind, I would like to attempt to pre-emptively answer some questions I'm sure people will have:

Why make a new MFB format now?
Burst's various formats and even MFB Limited will almost certainly remain more popular than any other new MFB format we might try to introduce, but a new format re-exploring parts that have gone unused for the better part of a decade would be a breath of fresh air for the MFB community.

Why 4D?
Currently there is a large gap between the strongest parts that are legal in Limited Format and the weakest parts that are particularly useful in Standard. Between the Maximum Series right up until the end of 4D there are a ton of popular Beyblades that have no real place in either of the currently extant formats, parts which could be given a format of their own. Judging where in 4D's run the power level for the format should strive for was difficult, but in the end it simply wouldn't be possible to make underused parts like Big Bang highly competitive without axing popular and exciting options like Blitz and Variares, and so we settled on a point late in 4D's power curve.

What about Synchromeless Format?
You may recall juncction's Synchromeless Format proposal from back in 2015. This came up many times during discussion of a 4D-era format proposal, and the original banlists we tried were very close to what juncction proposed. The intentions behind this 4D format are essentially the same, but ultimately the speculative banned parts list drifted away from juncction's, and it would be inappropriate to hijack his thread.

Why isn't Death banned?
Death is somewhat suspect, as it does have a solid combination of Defense, Stamina, and anti-left-spin abilities, but it is still weaker than Duo since its Stamina is just good and not great. It is heavier than Duo but larger and slightly more recoil-y and with less inherently great LAD. Overall it is an excellent Defense option, but faces competition from a variety of other solid Defense and Anti-Attack options like Wing, Diablo, Basalt, and even L-Drago Guardian and short Scythe.

Why isn't Diablo banned?
Diablo is a terrifying Metal Wheel, with great Attack power and immense weight. It is perfect for Anti-Attack customizations that bully both Attack and Stamina type opponents with power to KO them and weight to survive Attack type impacts. Its ability to easily deal with two of the three primary types is concerning, but even very strong Anti-Attack still loses badly to traditional Defense and Defense/Stamina hybrids, and Anti-Attack helps keep traditional Attack in check without allowing Stamina to become too dominant. Diablo is worth keeping an eye on for a potential ban, but an aggressive metagame is generally considered a healthy one, and Diablo is certainly aggressive.
11/11/2022 Update:
With Diablo now locked out of BD145 use by the combination ban, other Anti-Attack options like Basalt BD145 and Wing [Mortal Blow] BD145 can compete on a significantly more even playing field with the somewhat lighter (by Diablo standards) variants like Diablo R145. Without BD145's protection, Diablo is also threatened more by shorter Attackers and must choose between middle height (worse performance vs short opponents) and low height (worse performance vs BD145 opponents and tall opponents).

Why isn't Flash banned?
Flash is the strongest Attack type in 4D, with respectable solo spin time to boot. Another potentially banworthy wheel with multiple angles of threat, Flash is kept in check by Diablo especially, but also by other potential Anti-Attack setups using wheels like Basalt, Wing [Mortal Blow], and even Variares. Flash's low recoil and high Stamina makes tips like MF and CF attractive, but those Attack/Stamina hybrid setups are easy pickings for the Defense/Attack blend of Anti-Attack types. Flash's raw power does lead it to compete favorably against other Attack options, but Diablo's weight and Variares' dual spin give each a notable advantage over Flash that leaves all three as compelling options. (Sorry, Blitz.)

Why are Zero-G parts legal if it's "4D Format"?
The name of the format is not particularly important - the idea behind it is more concerned with creating a balanced, varied game at roughly 4D power levels than acting as a time machine back to before the release of Zero-G. Aside from the obvious Synchromes, E230 is the one standout Zero-G part that is worth putting on the chopping block for balance reasons, but so far the rest haven't been a serious issue. Of course, like all the other bans, this is subject to change as more people try the format and the meta develops.

What about [bad Synchrome]?
While I think it might be possible that a particularly weak Synchrome could compete fairly in the format, the question of what Synchrome(s) isn't easy to answer and would distract from the other balance questions of the format before it even gets off the ground. Better to entertain the question when there's a developed metagame that can handle the shakeup.

In closing, I want to say that the best way to get this iteration of this concept to take off is to play it! I would encourage any MFB fans with a passing interest in a new format or nostalgia for 4D to at least give it a try - it doesn't even need to be this particular ruleset, any more discussion over 4D-era MFB will help drive interest in a 4D-era competitive format. Going forward, I hope to host and/or participate in some unofficial/unranked tournaments running this format, and all I can ask for is that others would join in this experiment so it (or something like it) can become official in time.
There are so many good things that can come from this format. I hope it actually becomes recognized by other people, because from testing this format its very entertaining to play. There are many customizations/certain parts that can be utilized from removing meta-dominating parts. I am not one to enforce more rules and get more things out of the picture, since I enjoy hard metagames; but this format has true promise, and I think as Cake said it would be a breath of fresh air to experiment in a new meta where we aren't using the same parts 24/7. This format will get to that point, but I think it will take much longer since on paper it seems much more balanced than Standard. It achieves the goal of having multiple MFB formats while being something that a decent amount of people should be able to participate in. While I do not have anything to add as far as discussion about the rules, I will absolutely always advocate for making this an official format!
format pog, change my mind
Yes this will be really good and promote usage of 4d
i’d say this is a good idea. there are so many beys that have potential, but get so outweighed by synchromes, that they’re borderline unusable. the meta also seems like it could be pretty balanced, tho we should definitely keep an eye on diablo (and if diablo gets banned, flash should also get on a watchlist), but it should still get countered by defensive setups on wheels like death and wing.
(Nov. 05, 2021  2:16 AM)Friedpasta Wrote: i’d say this is a good idea. there are so many beys that have potential, but get so outweighed by synchromes, that they’re borderline unusable. the meta also seems like it could be pretty balanced, tho we should definitely keep an eye on diablo (and if diablo gets banned, flash should also get on a watchlist), but it should still get countered by defensive setups on wheels like death and wing.

if diablo gets banned phantom should take its place. I also agree the meta would be pretty balanced and its good that rdf is banned as well
I think this format would be fun! I am just getting into MFB and so far I love it! I thinks this format really opens up a way for more parts to be used
I'm slowly but surely building up my 4D Collection right now, this definitely seems like a good format.
I think this format also is a little easier for new players to obtain parts for. Lots of people wanna play something more powerful then limited, but standard is pretty expensive to get into. Regardless I think this format would be super fun!
This looks excellent and I'm glad we are including flash, I am unsure if duo really needs to go but I'm not fussed really. It would be lovely to have this format - it is a distinctive era we don't have a snapshot for and one of the few times that MFB was healthy, and the banlist is pretty sensible. I'm excited to see things we missed back in the day see some investigation and play!
(Nov. 05, 2021  5:06 AM)th!nk Wrote: This looks excellent and I'm glad we are including flash, I am unsure if duo really needs to go but I'm not fussed really. It would be lovely to have this format - it is a distinctive era we don't have a snapshot for and one of the few times that MFB was healthy, and the banlist is pretty sensible. I'm excited to see things we missed back in the day see some investigation and play!

Yep - I think Duo is something that should be kept on a watchlist rather than instantly banned. If it completely dominates everything, then ban it. I just don't see it being extremely oppressive (only using data from Standard even though Synchromes "outclass" it there, this is still relevant) in the 4D meta. It would be primarily used on stamina/defense which have plenty of hard counters already (Flash on attack, Diablo could be an option as well). I understand wanting to have other parts have spotlight, but it rarely gets spotlight in Standard as it is since some very well balanced Synchromes are not only easier to get but may outspin it. Wheels like Basalt and Death have other uses overall so they would still see a large amount of use even if Duo was allowed. I can see the point of Duo being "pay to win" if it does end up being an absolute monster, then again I do not see it being a Free Win in 4D Format.
(Nov. 05, 2021  5:06 AM)th!nk Wrote: This looks excellent and I'm glad we are including flash, I am unsure if duo really needs to go but I'm not fussed really. It would be lovely to have this format - it is a distinctive era we don't have a snapshot for and one of the few times that MFB was healthy, and the banlist is pretty sensible. I'm excited to see things we missed back in the day see some investigation and play!

I am really glad you talked to us about including Flash. After testing it I think It’s pretty healthy for attack in the format.
(Nov. 05, 2021  5:25 AM)polowogs Wrote: Yep - I think Duo is something that should be kept on a watchlist rather than instantly banned. If it completely dominates everything, then ban it. I just don't see it being extremely oppressive (only using data from Standard even though Synchromes "outclass" it there, this is still relevant) in the 4D meta. It would be primarily used on stamina/defense which have plenty of hard counters already (Flash on attack, Diablo could be an option as well). I understand wanting to have other parts have spotlight, but it rarely gets spotlight in Standard as it is since some very well balanced Synchromes are not only easier to get but may outspin it. Wheels like Basalt and Death have other uses overall so they would still see a large amount of use even if Duo was allowed. I can see the point of Duo being "pay to win" if it does end up being an absolute monster, then again I do not see it being a Free Win in 4D Format.

I will say I do trust cake's judgment more than almost anyone, so I won't push it, and I do see it hogging the spotlight from others. I guess it's an ideology thing tho, and that's totally fine with me.

(Nov. 05, 2021  5:26 AM)ItsSwift Wrote: I am really glad you talked to us about including Flash. After testing it I think It’s pretty healthy for attack in the format.

Always here to make sure things are given a fair go. Flash will be great but I think being attack means it's gonna be a lot less dominant in person than in testing.
(Nov. 05, 2021  6:31 AM)th!nk Wrote:
(Nov. 05, 2021  5:26 AM)ItsSwift Wrote: I am really glad you talked to us about including Flash. After testing it I think It’s pretty healthy for attack in the format.

Always here to make sure things are given a fair go. Flash will be great but I think being attack means it's gonna be a lot less dominant in person than in testing.
Yeah that’s the sad part with attack, fun to practice with but it for sure sees less play, though personally I hope to start using attack more. I need to have a little more trust in myself lol
And I guess not having duo around will give blitz and some other stuff a look in so it's not just flash. Curious to try beat/va vs flash more actually. Should also say strong agree on keeping e230 out, it just shuts down so so many things if they don't have the right track, and there will be legitimate LTDC threats here (scythe, for example), while not being from the era or adding tangible value to the format. I won't argue on rdf, it would be interesting to see ldg rdf around, but it's also a PITA to find and a pretty terrifying part. So, I'm happy. This will be fun, maybe enough for me to play MFB for a bit, and if I get Perth going as a scene it's something I'd love to try to run eventually Smile

Oh also, Diablo is good for sure, but it never did that much and was carried a bit by hype IMO, great for controlling flash though, without being more than say a Blitz power level if I remember accurately. It's good but I don't think it's deleterious.

I should also say that seeing as we did see a drop in users with ZG, odds are people are out there for whom this is the most accessible format. It could be a good thing in that way too IMO.
A line of thought I've been having lately on competitive Beyblade that's reflected in this banlist is that, for a healthy metagame, Defense should be forced to significantly trade away its ability to OS opponents (whether through Stamina or LAD) in order to successfully defend against strong Attack types.

This is similar to, but not quite the same as "Defense should be weak" or "Attack should be strong" - the important thing is that Defense/Stamina is inherently a very spammable typing since it usually has low skill requirements, beats Defense outright, and at the very least makes the Attack side of the type triangle uncomfortable.

Making it harder to get lots of Defense and lots of Stamina simultaneously makes it easier for Attack/Stamina hybrids to do their job of outspinning traditional Defense, in turn creating more prey for Anti-Attack and diversifying the aggressive side of the metagame. Making it harder to obtain Defense and LAD simultaneously both buffs and nerfs spin equalizers by reducing the number of opponents that can challenge their LAD, while also making it harder for them to challenge the entire right-spin metagame by having the Defense to resist Attack and the LAD to challenge everything else.

Defense/Stamina effectively sits opposite Attack on the type triangle - and so attacking it instead of pure Defense seems to be the best way to let Attack (and adjacent typings) flourish. Removing Duo, E230, and RDF doesn't hurt pure Defense that much - something like MF-H Death Aquario BD145RSF is still an excellent Defense type - but without those three, a lot of very strong Defense/Stamina or defensive equalizer combos are forced to switch to significantly weaker alternatives or simply don't work. These weakened alternatives either get beaten by Stamina (which makes Attack food more popular, benefitting Attack) or get beaten by Attack directly.

tl;dr RDF is very cool but having to play RDF vs EWD all the time is really icky, so let's skew the meta towards Attack
Good format, it gives wheels that would otherwise be in a state of limbo (too good for Limited, suboptimal in Standard) some time in the sun. For what it is worth, pre-Duo was a decent enough time, and very fun.

Based on what you said though, combos that strike a balance between "annoying to KO" and "not easily outspun", Death may be a bit too much. Prior to Duo, Death was very much in fashion, and not just because of RDF.
(Nov. 05, 2021  10:17 PM)Cake Wrote: A line of thought I've been having lately on competitive Beyblade that's reflected in this banlist is that, for a healthy metagame, Defense should be forced to significantly trade away its ability to OS opponents (whether through Stamina or LAD) in order to successfully defend against strong Attack types.

This is similar to, but not quite the same as "Defense should be weak" or "Attack should be strong" - the important thing is that Defense/Stamina is inherently a very spammable typing since it usually has low skill requirements, beats Defense outright, and at the very least makes the Attack side of the type triangle uncomfortable.

Making it harder to get lots of Defense and lots of Stamina simultaneously makes it easier for Attack/Stamina hybrids to do their job of outspinning traditional Defense, in turn creating more prey for Anti-Attack and diversifying the aggressive side of the metagame. Making it harder to obtain Defense and LAD simultaneously both buffs and nerfs spin equalizers by reducing the number of opponents that can challenge their LAD, while also making it harder for them to challenge the entire right-spin metagame by having the Defense to resist Attack and the LAD to challenge everything else.

Defense/Stamina effectively sits opposite Attack on the type triangle - and so attacking it instead of pure Defense seems to be the best way to let Attack (and adjacent typings) flourish. Removing Duo, E230, and RDF doesn't hurt pure Defense that much - something like MF-H Death Aquario BD145RSF is still an excellent Defense type - but without those three, a lot of very strong Defense/Stamina or defensive equalizer combos are forced to switch to significantly weaker alternatives or simply don't work. These weakened alternatives either get beaten by Stamina (which makes Attack food more popular, benefitting Attack) or get beaten by Attack directly.

tl;dr RDF is very cool but having to play RDF vs EWD all the time is really icky, so let's skew the meta towards Attack

That's all very sensible - sorry to push you into a further explanation! I do have to acknowledge that I only saw the very start of RDF's rise and never really got to see it do the whole LAD Shenanigans thing given I rarely play with my non Limited MFB any more (this format would definitely help there.) Thanks very much for the well thought-out response. Smile
(Nov. 06, 2021  12:16 AM)th!nk Wrote:
(Nov. 05, 2021  10:17 PM)Cake Wrote: A line of thought I've been having lately on competitive Beyblade that's reflected in this banlist is that, for a healthy metagame, Defense should be forced to significantly trade away its ability to OS opponents (whether through Stamina or LAD) in order to successfully defend against strong Attack types.

That's all very sensible - sorry to push you into a further explanation! I do have to acknowledge that I only saw the very start of RDF's rise and never really got to see it do the whole LAD Shenanigans thing given I rarely play with my non Limited MFB any more (this format would definitely help there.) Thanks very much for the well thought-out response. Smile

Oh, don't apologize, this was something I've been mulling over for a while and this was a good opportunity to write it out.  Smile
(Nov. 05, 2021  2:18 AM)Beybladedb Wrote:
(Nov. 05, 2021  2:16 AM)Friedpasta Wrote: i’d say this is a good idea. there are so many beys that have potential, but get so outweighed by synchromes, that they’re borderline unusable. the meta also seems like it could be pretty balanced, tho we should definitely keep an eye on diablo (and if diablo gets banned, flash should also get on a watchlist), but it should still get countered by defensive setups on wheels like death and wing.

if diablo gets banned phantom should take its place. I also agree the meta would be pretty balanced and its good that rdf is banned as well
i think phantom would still be fine, blitz and variares would still have a very easy time KOing it.
NGL this is a pretty cool format, it gets my upvote. However, the parts on the banlist get me interested:

E230: On one hand, it is capable of stonewalling Attack beys- including some that would deal with 230-height no problem. In addition, it is capable of causing a lot of destabilization for opponents caught between its disk and the metal wheel. On the other hand, it is sub-optimal for LAD/pure stamina (heavy+ I find the disk likes interfering with LAD) and based on my experience rather suspectible to left-spin which causes it to lose to things like ___ Dragooon SA165(E)WD (obviously, this is Synchrom, so not exactly 100% applicable here, but the spirit is there)

Duo: Flash is apparently capable of dealing with this one, and it's not like Flash customs are niche (as in, they're actually useful Attack customs, not just there for dealing with DUo and suddenly useless for anything else). Still, I consider it the most powerful 4D Metal Wheel for a reason- it's even the closest existing official example of the ideal beyblade according to Bey Brad- round, small and heavy, with little to no protrusions.

RDF: Yeah, this one needs to be offed. A defensive tip that does not have the vulnerability of RS or RSF to left-spin is way out. Sadly I can't test mine since it's so worn it gets aggressive too easily, but back then this was my absolute favorite tip (to the point of inspiring my username). Plus, it's still top-tier today in Standard so it's not like RDF won't be used if it gets banned here.

Death is something one should look out for, as it's one of the most defensive Metal Wheels if Duo gets banned. On the other hand, I don't like the prospect of using Basalt with Flash, Blitz, Variares, and (to a lesser extent Omega) roaming around, which might limit Defense to Scythe/Fusion/Wing LTDC. Then again, there's Diablo, Basalt and (maybe) Big Bang anti-attack for dealing with Attack, and maybe somebody would do an RF variant of the LTDCs I mentioned- RF Defense.

I'll try testing stuff informally for clarification once I have finished moving, right now I cannot access them.
I’m pretty stoked about this tbh - I think it definitely brings in more possibilities into having fun and competing with parts that aren’t used much or at all in Standard. As I was gonna try out a Limited format, I’m so glad this format will allow us to experiment and just have fun with less used wheels and parts.

Hope this gets approved and we get more formats rolling in for MFB! 😁
This is super cool, I just dug out my old collection and wanted to play some MFB, but then I realized a ton of the wheels I had were 4ds... and banned from Limited, but were completely crushed by Synchromes in Standard.
I'm looking forward to this being the next thing once BGT settles. I do hope we directly adopt the proposed banlist rather than doing anything like the sk-in-gt thing. No rdf, duo or like, saramanda ifraid 😅