General GFX Thread

Keep in mind that the 500x200 limit is including any text you add under or over the image in your signature.
Guys I would actually start practicing with the "standard" 500x200 canvas. If you guys REALLY want to use your tags in your signatures, 450x150 or 500x175. Holding down shift when resizing objects keeps the proportions constant, which seems to be a problem in many of your work. Another important issue is the idea of the focal point. You should have one focal in most tags, unless you are indeed going for a dual focal. I would stick with one focal point roughly placed using the rules of thirds. Just some ideas Joyful_3

[Image: super_mario_galaxy_fly_with_me_tag_idk_b...8cd1se.png]
CnC? I was gonna use this for the tournament then changed my mind.

(Jan. 02, 2015  8:39 PM)Tri Wrote: I thought the render seemed a little too over-sharpened compared to everything else in it. It's still very cool looking.

Yeah I was talking to Synth about it and we agreed that not blurring would have been a better call and just using darkness to create depth. (y)
Comments on this? Credit to background goes to Kuji.
It's a tad too monotone. What happened to the background quality? It seems to have gone down considerably. The render is also really low quality.

TBH just popping a render on a background and adding filters isn't GFX....

CnC on this one?

Sorry for posting this again, but it was buried Tongue_out
The blast around his hand sorta felt pasted on in a way. Also, maybe a bit of a greener background would fit Kakashi better. I like the blur aroung the edges and the font. Nice work Joyful_2
(Jan. 03, 2015  3:49 AM)Kujikato Wrote: [Image: super_mario_galaxy_fly_with_me_tag_idk_b...8cd1se.png]

It looks good, but I would have erased those red lines on top of Mario (notably his nose) to really make it seem like he is circulating through that weird space shift.
(Jan. 04, 2015  4:58 PM)Kai-V Wrote:
(Jan. 03, 2015  3:49 AM)Kujikato Wrote: [Image: super_mario_galaxy_fly_with_me_tag_idk_b...8cd1se.png]

It looks good, but I would have erased those red lines on top of Mario (notably his nose) to really make it seem like he is circulating through that weird space shift.

Sounds good Kai-V, thanks!
I was working on implementing lighting into my work, so I tried this;

Comments please. Smile Was the use of lightning necessary? And did I do it efficiently enough?
(Jan. 05, 2015  3:01 AM)Eminem* Wrote: I was working on implementing lighting into my work, so I tried this;

Comments please. Smile Was the use of lightning necessary? And did I do it efficiently enough?
I like it,The text is okay but I wouldve added a glow of bevel of some sort,maybe a light streak effect to it

But other then that,I like it!
Would I be able to get some criticism on my current signature? Thanks. Smile
(Jan. 05, 2015  3:27 AM)Shido Wrote: Would I be able to get some criticism on my current signature? Thanks. Smile
Not to sound rude, but it looks like you just got a scene out of the anime, tinted it and then added some text.

@[Eminem] Not bad dude, you're definitely improving! It looks a bit over brightened and I'm not a big fan of the text. I'd say you did I good job blending the render near the left side. It looks a bit empty, but that might just be me. I'd probably give it a 6.7/10
I was going for light, but next time I'll not make it so bright. But specifically, what's wrong with the text? Is it the postition, the orientation, or just the font?
(Jan. 05, 2015  4:02 AM)Eminem* Wrote: I was going for light, but next time I'll not make it so bright. But specifically, what's wrong with the text? Is it the postition, the orientation, or just the font?

For me personally, it's the font. I'd give it a border and try give it some blending or glow ect.
Render is low quality, Background is a nice shade(s) but really bland and boring, size isn't really a signature, Text is badly placed and a bad color. Lighting is pretty nice, but it doesn't fit with the entire composition of the piece since there is just a background, render and text. I used that render before and IIRC it's best given a light source from behind and a bit in front, not above. It is very empty and blending is kinda not existent.

(Jan. 05, 2015  4:00 AM)Makashima Wrote:
(Jan. 05, 2015  3:27 AM)Shido Wrote: Would I be able to get some criticism on my current signature? Thanks. Smile
Not to sound rude, but it looks like you just got a scene out of the anime, tinted it and then added some text.

The thing is guys, most of you are doing just that. Find a background, slap it onto a canvas of random size, then plop a render and multiple faded renders, add in some badly placed text, tons of filters that ruin the quality and call it a day. GFX is far more complex... I could do some of the stuff you do in MS Word. If y'all really want to design and be GFX Tag artists, asking for CnC here isn't exactly a good idea, since there are only a handful of actual good people. I'd really recommend you guys going to GFX-dedicated forums and DeviantArt.

I may be coming off as harsh, but tbh I kinda feel sad reading some of the comments critiquing some of the work here when the "critiquer" himself/herself doesn't know what they're talking about...

Just my 2¢
I guess this includes me?
(Jan. 05, 2015  5:15 AM)Makashima Wrote:

Yeah. The thing about GFX is that it's not entirely about talent. Unartistic people can still learn how to make a fundamentally sound tag, so it's teachable, to an extent.
(Jan. 05, 2015  4:56 AM)Kujikato Wrote: Render is low quality, Background is a nice shade(s) but really bland and boring, size isn't really a signature, Text is badly placed and a bad color. Lighting is pretty nice, but it doesn't fit with the entire composition of the piece since there is just a background, render and text. I used that render before and IIRC it's best given a light source from behind and a bit in front, not above. It is very empty and blending is kinda not existent.

(Jan. 05, 2015  4:00 AM)Makashima Wrote:

The thing is guys, most of you are doing just that. Find a background, slap it onto a canvas of random size, then plop a render and multiple faded renders, add in some badly placed text, tons of filters that ruin the quality and call it a day. GFX is far more complex... I could do some of the stuff you do in MS Word. If y'all really want to design and be GFX Tag artists, asking for CnC here isn't exactly a good idea, since there are only a handful of actual good people. I'd really recommend you guys going to GFX-dedicated forums and DeviantArt.

I may be coming off as harsh, but tbh I kinda feel sad reading some of the comments critiquing some of the work here when the "critiquer" himself/herself doesn't know what they're talking about...

Just my 2¢
As much as I agree with that,I find that a bit hypocritical of you

Your signature was created by layers of Kobe Bryants logo a glow and some text

I enjoy doing GFX and art in general

Im not hating or anything

Just saying that GFX and Art has no skill or professional level,GFX is GFX,Not mater how you put it

Its even in the name "Graphics"

Hope this doesnt piss anybody off Smile
(Jan. 05, 2015  5:25 AM)Kujikato Wrote:
(Jan. 05, 2015  5:15 AM)Makashima Wrote:

Yeah. The thing about GFX is that it's not entirely about talent. Unartistic people can still learn how to make a fundamentally sound tag, so it's teachable, to an extent.
I wouldn't say you can go around criticising. You've only seen a limited amount of my work so...

I think you don't know what you are talking about. Yes you have skill in GFX, but remember, you are not the best nor is anyone.

Tsuna' has also made good points IMO.

Just my 2cent
(Jan. 05, 2015  5:25 AM)Tsuna` Wrote:
(Jan. 05, 2015  4:56 AM)Kujikato Wrote: Render is low quality, Background is a nice shade(s) but really bland and boring, size isn't really a signature, Text is badly placed and a bad color. Lighting is pretty nice, but it doesn't fit with the entire composition of the piece since there is just a background, render and text. I used that render before and IIRC it's best given a light source from behind and a bit in front, not above. It is very empty and blending is kinda not existent.

(Jan. 05, 2015  4:00 AM)Makashima Wrote: Not to sound rude, but it looks like you just got a scene out of the anime, tinted it and then added some text.

Just my 2¢

Just saying that GFX and Art has no skill or professional level,GFX is GFX,Not mater how you put it

If you actually take a look into the .psd file of my signature, it's much more than just Kobe logos and glows. Yes the focal may be that, but it is not entirely just multiple layers of it.

Enjoying GFX and Art is very important!

I'm not hating too Joyful_3

This line: "Just saying that GFX and Art has no skill or professional level,GFX is GFX,Not mater how you put it." makes little sense, could you elaborate?

(Jan. 05, 2015  5:52 AM)Makashima Wrote: I wouldn't say you can go around criticising. You've only seen a limited amount of my work so...

I think you don't know what you are talking about. Yes you have skill in GFX, but remember, you are not the best nor is anyone.

Just my 2cent

I never claimed to be the best. I've come a long way from being really bad (you can ask any of the members who were around when I just started) to decent. Yes, maybe my criticism of your work is misplaced, but some of your CnC is incorrect, at least in the "fundamental" sense of "GFX theory". Again, I'm not claiming to be a GFX expert or a guru, as I've never taken any formal GFX classes, but I did a lot of self teaching and reading, so I think I have a respectable foundation to base my comments off.

Thanks for being respectable in disagreeing, it makes discussions like this so much more profitable and enjoyable. Joyful_3
(Jan. 05, 2015  6:24 AM)Kujikato Wrote:
(Jan. 05, 2015  5:25 AM)Tsuna` Wrote:

Just my 2¢

If you actually take a look into the .psd file of my signature, it's much more than just Kobe logos and glows. Yes the focal may be that, but it is not entirely just multiple layers of it.

Enjoying GFX and Art is very important!

I'm not hating too Joyful_3

This line: "Just saying that GFX and Art has no skill or professional level,GFX is GFX,Not mater how you put it." makes little sense, could you elaborate?

(Jan. 05, 2015  5:52 AM)Makashima Wrote: I wouldn't say you can go around criticising. You've only seen a limited amount of my work so...

Just my 2cent

I never claimed to be the best. I've come a long way from being really bad (you can ask any of the members who were around when I just started) to decent. Yes, maybe my criticism of your work is misplaced, but some of your CnC is incorrect, at least in the "fundamental" sense of "GFX theory". Again, I'm not claiming to be a GFX expert or a guru, as I've never taken any formal GFX classes, but I did a lot of self teaching and reading, so I think I have a respectable foundation to base my comments off.

Thanks for being respectable in disagreeing, it makes discussions like this so much more profitable and enjoyable. Joyful_3
I, like you, have taught myself online with reading and a lot of criticism from other members on other forums and here. I can say that my CnC on whatever GFX is definitely sense of "GFX theory". Don't forget, different GFXer have different views and it can vary quite differently. I think I have a respectable foundation to base my comments off.

Not trying to be rude.
General tips to all of you guys who want to get better:
>listen to kuji (he's been doing real GFX better and longer than any of us)
>get a real photo editor (i.e. Photoshop or GIMP)
>read/watch lots of tutorials
>don't be afraid to ask for help or advice, but in turn, don't get all defensive when you receive criticism
>???
>profit

2¢ #goldmine
(Jan. 05, 2015  1:03 PM)Aɴɢʀʏ Fᴀᴄᴇ Wrote: General tips to all of you guys who want to get better:
>listen to kuji (he's been doing real GFX better and longer than any of us)
>get a real photo editor (i.e. Photoshop or GIMP)
>read/watch lots of tutorials
>don't be afraid to ask for help or advice, but in turn, don't get all defensive when you receive criticism
>???
>profit

2¢ #goldmine

Ask Synth, Kai-V, Kei, Tri, and scientist as well. It's not only me who's good. Tbh, Synth is better than me.
I was just playing around with c4d renders and lightning effects and made this thing. CnC from @[Kujikato], @[Shido], @[Synth], @[Kei] and @[Kai-V] is needed!