Your Biggest Phobia

Water, insects, scary stuff, molestation(dont ask why) and other stuff....oh yeah, dirt and dirty stuff
I'm scared of long words. I have no idea.
I can't believe it.
I don't even think that's a real phobia. Maybe you just don't LIKE them. A phobia is an "overwhelming and irrational fear" if I remember that definition right. I don't see how you could possibly fear large words. You hear al teast one every day.
Trust me, he really hates long words. I am not sure if it's a phobia though.
I have a rather nasty fear of hospitals and surgery, thinking about having to stay in a hospital can make me cry.

I think I have always disliked being in hospital/surgery but that dislike has gotten worse over time and evolved into one of my biggest fears, and what I sometimes see in the news about them certainly hasn't helped...
Also Trypanophobia, Katsaridaphobia, Spheksophobia, Apiphobia,Trichinophobia, Scelerophobia, Harpaxophobia, and Batophobia. Those are just the ones I am fore the life of me afraid of. Strangely enough I'm not an arachnophobe. Sorry DE.MAN for your "phobia" of long words, but I really doubt you have.... are you ready?, Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia; yes that's really quite ironic for the name of the phobia for long words.
(Oct. 10, 2011  9:56 PM)hitsugiya Wrote: Also Trypanophobia, Katsaridaphobia, Spheksophobia, Apiphobia,Trichinophobia, Scelerophobia, Harpaxophobia, and Batophobia. Those are just the ones I am fore the life of me afraid of. Strangely enough I'm not an arachnophobe. Sorry DE.MAN for your "phobia" of long words, but I really doubt you have.... are you ready?, Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia; yes that's really quite ironic for the name of the phobia for long words.

Utilizing words people have to look up, on purpose, makes you look pretentious, and entirely invalidates your post for discussion purposes. It is highly unlikely the vast majority of people on this board actually know all of those phobias - I will admit to only recognizing four.

(Oct. 10, 2011  9:27 PM)Kirst-Mizuhime Wrote: I have a rather nasty fear of hospitals and surgery, thinking about having to stay in a hospital can make me cry.

I think I have always disliked being in hospital/surgery but that dislike has gotten worse over time and evolved into one of my biggest fears, and what I sometimes see in the news about them certainly hasn't helped...

This is one of the most common and most understandable phobias plaguing the first-world population, currently. Hospital-borne illness, the idea that death is occurring somewhere in the hospital, the needle/blood/other bodily fluid content, etc.

Personally, though, I'm actually quite comfortable in hospitals. Perhaps due to overexposure.

(Oct. 10, 2011  3:47 PM)Temporal Wrote: I don't even think that's a real phobia. Maybe you just don't LIKE them. A phobia is an "overwhelming and irrational fear" if I remember that definition right. I don't see how you could possibly fear large words. You hear al teast one every day.

I had a friend in Junior Highschool that had anxiety attacks when presented with long words.

Irrationality itself can present in irrational ways. If you'd like, I can explain some more ludicrous things your brain can do to you that are inane and almost imperceptibly random.
I NEED TO HAVE THE FRUIT SNACK CEREAL!

Well, not like that, but there are some people who have missing cells or even have had to have surgery and get part of the brain removed (I realize Dei is one of these who is unnafected, but still) that don't...erm...think as society would like to call "normal"-but if you ask me society is stupid and normal is just something common that people expect Uncertain. I could have whole debates about that, but I'd derail the topic. Sorry.

I used to be afraid of indoor flames. Like, I would always imagine the worst case scenario where a spark would hit our rug and the house would get engulfed in flames-I eventually got over it by realizing that fantasizing like such would be detrimental for me. Phobias (Well, some of them) are just mindsets. "It's all in the head"
(Oct. 11, 2011  12:16 AM)Hazel Wrote:
(Oct. 10, 2011  9:56 PM)hitsugiya Wrote: Also Trypanophobia, Katsaridaphobia, Spheksophobia, Apiphobia,Trichinophobia, Scelerophobia, Harpaxophobia, and Batophobia. Those are just the ones I am fore the life of me afraid of. Strangely enough I'm not an arachnophobe. Sorry DE.MAN for your "phobia" of long words, but I really doubt you have.... are you ready?, Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia; yes that's really quite ironic for the name of the phobia for long words.

Utilizing words people have to look up, on purpose, makes you look pretentious, and entirely invalidates your post for discussion purposes. It is highly unlikely the vast majority of people on this board actually know all of those phobias - I will admit to only recognizing four.
Just doing a good job trolling I see. I'm so proud of myself.
(Oct. 10, 2011  3:47 PM)Temporal Wrote: I don't even think that's a real phobia. Maybe you just don't LIKE them. A phobia is an "overwhelming and irrational fear" if I remember that definition right. I don't see how you could possibly fear large words. You hear al teast one every day.

I had a friend in Junior Highschool that had anxiety attacks when presented with long words.

Irrationality itself can present in irrational ways. If you'd like, I can explain some more ludicrous things your brain can do to you that are inane and almost imperceptibly random.
Please do. I want to study Psychology one day, once I'm done with my English majors and I've got a book published, so I need to brush up on some stuff.
(Oct. 11, 2011  1:21 AM)Temporal Wrote:

Please do. I want to study Psychology one day, once I'm done with my English majors and I've got a book published, so I need to brush up on some stuff.

Well, in general, your brain can easily translate fear into any number of physiological symptoms, and with nearly no inherent rhyme or reason to it, once the physiological predisposition has been established(which occurs at birth, or due to accidents/medications/surgical operations).

Psychotic hallucinations, OCD(I am aware of people that are unnerved by things arranged in specific patterns, or that appear in specific numbers - and some people have an automatic compulsion their brain basically forces them into if they don't do things a certain number of times), ticks, and almost literally being "paralyzed by fear" are all just very small examples of the brain's inherent and dominant control over the body - control we only really have a hundredth of in our conscious mind.

(Oct. 11, 2011  12:33 AM)hitsugiya Wrote: Just doing a good job trolling I see. I'm so proud of myself.

First off, what you're doing isn't trolling, just stupid. Second off, it's detrimental to the posting environment and characterizes you in an ill way.

If you cannot post in a way conducive to discussion, or at least in a way that isn't deliberately spiteful, please do not post.
Well, im afraid of bugs, the Burger King(who is in the suit?) and that Little Kiriboh will make a video soooo funny, i will die laughing.
(Oct. 10, 2011  8:05 PM)Vulcan Blaze Wrote: Trust me, he really hates long words. I am not sure if it's a phobia though.

I'm not joking, the fear of long words is called hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia.

Edit: Oops, that was already posted by someone else.

Anyways, I don't know the technical term for this, but I'm afraid of deep water.
Seriously, 5-foot water is my limit to even walk by.

Also, I'm constantly getting shot in my dreams (for some reasone I have VERY violent dreams) so I guess I'm afraid of being shot.

I'm somehow afraid of diving into the water for some strange reason, I have seen many people do it, and yet, it still scares me. Also, when girls put TONS of makeup on their faces, seriously, it scares me. It wasn't easy for me at my graduation last year.
@Cookies- Same for me. I can't dive into water from a height.
Probably a combination of hydrophobia and acrophobia. Wink
(Jan. 02, 2012  4:32 PM)Cookies^^ Wrote: Also, when girls put TONS of makeup on their faces, seriously, it scares me.
Good to know that i am not the only person scared of girls....girls and firecrackers scare me a lot.

One word: Arachnophobia, yes I am afraid of spiders. Very very common phobia, that's for sure.
I'm afraid of centipedes. Every time I sleep I fear there on my bed.
Yeah, same with me for spiders, it's a very creepy feeling to think of that. It's actually very disturbing to think of that.
(Jan. 02, 2012  6:19 PM)N0body Wrote:
(Jan. 02, 2012  4:32 PM)Cookies^^ Wrote: Also, when girls put TONS of makeup on their faces, seriously, it scares me.
Good to know that i am not the only person scared of girls....girls and firecrackers scare me a lot.
Yeah, I'm scared of that too. They look like circus clowns when they do that and I'm also afraid of clowns, they are creepy.

Home alone when it's dark. No more said.
personally my biggest phobia is walking outside late withput people cause i don't want to get jumped
Hm, upon further research and looking at past experiences, I can confirm that I have what is known as 'fear of rejection'. It doesn't have a specific name, but even though it is called fear it can definitely be classified as a phobia due to how irrationally it manifests for me.

I am honestly afraid of doing so many things because I am afraid somebody will answer 'no', or reject what I am saying. That's why I like to work alone, and this is the cause of my slight kakorrhaphiophobia, which just means fear of failure. I am afraid to tell my parents about something that I did, or ask them favors, give ideas, or voice my own opinions in general simply because I am afraid that I will be rejected. Hell, I'm freaking afraid to ask my parents if I can play the Wii sometimes because I'm afraid they'll say no.

I've tried on multiple occasions to overcome it, but I can only do so for the most menial of tasks. Anything beyond that, I clam up. I hate it, but it is unfortunately very true.

So, my list:
Apiphobia (Fear of bees)
Fear of rejection (#1 biggest problem)
-Slight kakorrhaphiophobia (fear of failure) caused by fear of rejection

EDIT: Adding on to this, I'm not too shy and a very good public speaker/debater, so IDK...