[Winners Announced] WBO Idol Season 1

Q&A Time, I guess.

(Dec. 27, 2012  9:19 PM)Mr. N Wrote: Well, this seems very fun. I'll enter. So, we choose any song, right?
As long as it fits the rules as laid out in the OP. One thing that should be in the OP but isn't is that as the songs are being posted on the WBO, they have to fit within the rules of the site. This could be an issue with swearing (especially as I personally hate "radio-friendly" versions of songs being a thing), but it's not hard to bleep out a section or whatever if you really want to do a song with some swearing.

(Dec. 27, 2012  11:07 PM)Luck Wrote: Oooooh.
Interesting.
To be the supposed WBO singing and GFXing champion would sure be awesome...
Would it be multiple rounds?
Maybe, probably. The problem is the sound quality that I have available.
Also, can we have a sound track? (ABSOLUTLY no background singing. ?)
I already do also know what song to sing as well... XD
@Mr.N; It says in the OP that just rapping songs are pointless and the genre or whatever is kareoke. (Damn my spellling !)

Just the one round. In the context of this competition there's no need to do multiple rounds, both Ga and I are competent enough to choose winners from a large number of entries (and it's not like we'll have thousands, as cool as that would be) and I would personally like to assess people on their best performance (given the restrictions of the forum itself) rather than their performance under various conditions (eg different genres etc - which can be interesting but also quite unfair, haha).

(Dec. 27, 2012  11:59 PM)Luck Wrote: Hmm... Can it be a recording? Cuz I actually do take singing lessons and at the end of this term I did a recorded ver. of ed sheeran Autumn Leaves...
Could I just send it to you via PM when the time comes?

Not sure what you mean by "a recording", every entry will be a recording... If you can explain more specifically to me I'd be able to tell you. As long as it's within the rules of the competition and forum it's no problem, though.

I would also prefer that entries be made specifically for this competition (and as in the OP, entries should mention that)

(Dec. 28, 2012  5:43 AM)Kujikato Wrote: Insom, you are always two steps ahead of me. I was thinking of offering this idea some time Grin

Hrmmm, Put me on that list as a maybe, I'm having a bad sore throat, and singing extreme ranges of notes is NOT what I want to do.

Are spiritual songs allowed?

A few people have suggested it, apparently, Insomniac mentioned it to me and I was keen to see it happen, so here we are Tongue_out

Not sure about spiritual songs, given the forum rules and variation in what is/isn't considered spiritual/religious etc. I've asked the committee about it, as that's really a forum rule, and thus beyond my control, haha. To be safe, I'd steer clear, but personally I would like to restrict entrants as little as possible (as to get the greatest number of entries possible), so we'll see.

Luck: As someone constantly plagued by throat illnesses myself (part of why I haven't really learnt to sing despite the fact I would like to), you have my sympathy. Range is by no means the only factor people will be judged on though, and each performance is another step in the journey even if it isn't made on the most stable ground Smile

Of course, the actual criteria aren't very strictly defined, so I can't really give people a guide in that sense, just do your best, haha Smile
To expand on 'a recording' ; I mean just sound, no visual.
(The few times we tried with video I ended up dancing a the camera... -__-)
Haha, yes that's absolutely fine! In fact, I'm not even sure if soundcloud or audioboo support video anyway. Just make sure we can tell it's you singing and that it's been recorded for this competition (and that it's been done in one take, as best as that can be ascertained under these conditions, anyway).
It meets all of those criteria I believe, Except it wasn't specifically recorded for this competition, but it wasn't recorded for anything in particular...
I might do a recording if my video turns out bad. I tend to really get into my singing and start dancing and swaying just as Luck said XD

Anyways, this will be so fun. My voice is kinda deep though for my age and it's hard to sing high (especially since my voice cracks when I do, but I can kinda control it)
I'm going to butt in here as the other judge and vouch for myself.

I have a piano and cello background, where I am at the highest standard testing level for both in NY (NYSSMA level 6). I also have a decent ability to sing, so I think I'd be able to judge appropriately.

Well, if your voice is deep then sing a low song! Falsetto isn't required for everything.
(Dec. 28, 2012  9:10 AM)Duck Wrote: Hmm, you can add me to the list as "maybe". I'll enter if I can find an instrumental track for "Evil Angel" by BB and enough time to do so, quack. This'll be fun! Joyful_2

...And yes. If I do enter, I will be singing "Evil Angel". Haters gonna hate. :\
Guess I'm not a hater. I freakin Love that song.
I wish you luck.

(Dec. 28, 2012  3:54 PM)Tri Wrote: I might do a recording if my video turns out bad. I tend to really get into my singing and start dancing and swaying just as Luck said XD

Anyways, this will be so fun. My voice is kinda deep though for my age and it's hard to sing high (especially since my voice cracks when I do, but I can kinda control it)

Same here

Well,looks like a really organized thingy you got here. Hopefuly, it won't be fail like GFX Championships[Reborn!]

(Dec. 28, 2012  4:29 PM)GaHooleone Wrote: I'm going to butt in here as the other judge and vouch for myself.

I have a piano and cello background, where I am at the highest standard testing level for both in NY (NYSSMA level 6). I also have a decent ability to sing, so I think I'd be able to judge appropriately.

Well, if your voice is deep then sing a low song! Falsetto isn't required for everything.

I don't like singing low! I'm good at singing a little higher, I'll just have to control it a little better.
I know which song to sing. I'm gonna do a video. Song is fireflies by owl city. Bringing back the classics!
(Dec. 28, 2012  5:11 PM)Syco Wrote: I know which song to sing. I'm gonna do a video. Song is fireflies by owl city. Bringing back the classics!

My username was "inspired" by that song, you can say xP

I'll add everyone to the list soon!
Hrm, musical backgrounds eh Ga...
Violin, Tuba and Drums here Wink As well as a chamber choir singer Grin

This should be good with the two more senior and critical members as judges!

Hrmmm, Hey Soul Sister (Train) is what I'm going for.. maybe

What is the criteria we'll be judged on btw? th!nk didn't specify.
(Dec. 28, 2012  5:56 PM)Kujikato Wrote: Hrm, musical backgrounds eh Ga...
Violin, Tuba and Drums here Wink As well as a chamber choir singer Grin

This should be good with the two more senior and critical members as judges!

Hrmmm, Hey Soul Sister (Train) is what I'm going for.. maybe

What is the criteria we'll be judged on btw? th!nk didn't specify.

Haha. I used too really like that song until I listened to it for like 6hrs straight on a french trip ... Oops XD
Also, When are these meant to be in for?
Aww, no occupella? Eh, I might join. Put me as a maybe, please. I still have to th!nk about it (see what I did there?). Good luck to everyone!
(Dec. 28, 2012  5:56 PM)Kujikato Wrote: What is the criteria we'll be judged on btw? th!nk didn't specify.

Ga won't be able to explain it much better than me. Singing is a complex matter and to attempt to value different aspects of it with respect to one another will never do it justice. I want people to do their best, without trying to pander to a list of criteria.

And as for your religious song question, now I've spoken to CM's, I can answer more confidently. Basically, religious songs aren't allowed, just as discussion of religion isn't allowed on-site.
Are occasional curses allowed?
Afraid not. If you really want to do a song with them I'd suggest cutting the audio at those points or bleeping them, or something similar, but it'd be best just to avoid it altogether.

I know it's not ideal, but rules are rules Uncertain
OMG....
I love singing a lot, and I would say im ok at it.
For a while I actually wanted to be a singer.

Though it may take a while for me to choose a song. (my voice is weird, as I don't stick to singing with one voice, so I sing one song with a different voice then another, according to the song)
Hmmmm... Ok. I. Am. In. I know what I'm going to sing! I will be so bad.
A request to Insomniac. and the judges:

I know this should be very obvious, but could you please add a rule about no bullying or teasing others about their singing? This has been mentioned many times in the rules of he YC forum, but some people still choose to break it (not pointing out any people out there). I was teased in before in real life about my singing, and frankly, I do not think being teased on the internet is any better. Yeah, that's all, I guess.

EDIT: And on that happy note, I am having trouble on choosing a song that fits me. My voice range is actually not that big, ahah.

Are we allowed to sing a different voice part of a song, like a Tenor or Alto one? Adding to that, can we sing an octave lower or higher if we can't reach a note?
Just wondering if any of you could help me choose a song?
I am kinda stuck on a choice between glycerine, by bush. Or tonight, tonight, by the smashing pumpkins.
....... And I kinda feel like sing banana phone for teh lols XD
I'd love to enter (FYI, I <3 music, singing, and playing piano), but I'm not sure how I'm going to upload it or where I upload it and puberty has been so damn annoying by holding my voice back and straining my voice when I sing, but whatever. I might enter. Is there a spot available for a judge? If so, I'd love to judge even though the chances of me being a judge are highly unlikely. If I do enter, would "Too Close" by Alex Clare be good? Also, is it ok if I sing it a bit off tune to prevent my voice from straining?
@ Wolfblade, ur back!

hah, I was pretty sure of that th!nk, per forum rules. So basically, sing your heart out eh? We just have to sound goodish and follow the basics. Good enough for me.

I've changed my mind, singing Fix You by Coldplay. Sad we can't do accapella (unsure of spelling...) eh. *Harmony Part, I'll Follow the Sun*
Do we post our entries or pm them? just a doubt not ready yet
That it is Smile

(Dec. 29, 2012  5:14 PM)lord Wolfblade Wrote: Just wondering if any of you could help me choose a song?
I am kinda stuck on a choice between glycerine, by bush. Or tonight, tonight, by the smashing pumpkins.
....... And I kinda feel like sing banana phone for teh lols XD

The latter is one of my favourite songs, for whatever that's worth. 'Course, that doesn't really help at all, as even if I weren't aiming to be as objective as possible about judging, it could really go either way, haha.

Seeing as I don't think you're the only person having trouble deciding though, I would suggest perhaps recording both, listening to them, and then uploading/entering the one you think came out best.

(Dec. 29, 2012  6:41 PM)Syco Wrote: Do we post our entries or pm them? just a doubt not ready yet

Post them, thanks.

@BladerPegasis: I don't think it needs to be said - at least, I'd be disappointed to see people insult others over what is generally a rather sensitive subject (in fact, my desire to see that judging is handled with appropriate sensitivity is one of the reasons I volunteered when Insomniac mentioned a singing contest to me) - but if it occurs I'm quite sure Insomniac or other staff will "resolve" the issue. If Insomniac feels it should be in the OP, she's welcome to add it, but personally I don't think it's necessary - frankly the type of people who'd do that aren't the type to read OP's thoroughly.