Wiki Random Thoughts

(May. 31, 2016  12:51 AM)Neo Wrote: I just feel like knocking out all three in one go is the easier way to go.
I mean, if a part is repeated you would only have to copy the approved part.
I dunno, just seems counter intuitive.

I don't disagree that from an initial drafting perspective, I think this makes more sense.
Certainly, doing all three makes more sense. Whether it's possible to have all three approved around the same time? Probably not.

The beauty of the Parts Imports means that the articles are simply skeletons, and the parts information is imported from it's own article. An article on a Beyblade can definitely be created before anything has been drafted, and it also permits us to create the Parts Article when a prepared draft is ready.

I totally understand where you're coming from though. I'm still used to thinking "Okay, all three should be done", but I've strayed away from that. Some parts also receive more testing than others, and are likely to be approved sooner than others for that reason.

I certainly cannot see an issue with doing each part in a Beyblade at the same time, but I'd probably encourage you to create an individual draft for each one still, purely so we can approve them as we go along rather than when the last of the three is finalised.
Exactly, we already have trouble receiving drafts for one part, how do you think we would get more contributions for whole Beyblades?
@[Kai-V], @[~Mana~]

@[MissingNo.], @[loyd87], @[Bl4ck-Ou7]

I've hunted down a French instruction sheet for HMS Beyblades ( http://preview.manual.guru/preview-manua...age-1.html ), and I'm probably going to look to transferring the French content this week. That leaves us with a bunch of options:
1. The most obvious option is to just go with what's written on the sheet, since it's Hasbro and Hasbro terminology is what's used on the wiki.
2. The best option is to go with what people are actually using, hence the list of tagged people (the people I remember off the top of my head, anyway). A Google hit search on the Hasbro French terms returns abysmally low on most of them. One that does appear frequently is "propulseur": I've never called a launcher "propulseur" in my life, but since Hasbro uses the same term for its MFB launchers, I'm probably the exception.
3. We just use the English terminology in French articles. There are certainly pros and cons to this, but that's an option.
4. We keep my terminology. Well, that's fun for me, but that's not very ideal.

So, discuss?
I would personally just keep the english terminology, or adding the french terms next to the english terms.

Nobody would ever use the word ''noyau'' to designate a core.
Let me take a look into that probably later today, but I can clearly remember that the dub used 'lanceur' instead of 'propulseur'.
I just checked the French dub for episode 03 (having subtitled the Italian dub not so long ago, I remembered them introducing Max's Launcher Grip), and they indeed call it a lanceur.

(Jun. 12, 2016  8:10 PM)MissingNo. Wrote: I would personally just keep the english terminology, or adding the french terms next to the english terms.

Nobody would ever use the word ''noyau'' to designate a core.

I wouldn't say never. The MG/MW cores in V and V2 Beyblades, for example, translate quite appropriately to noyau, but I agree it's an awkward choice for Running Core.

Having the translation follow its English phrase isn't too bad when it's just once or twice in the body of the text, but it's a different story when it's in every header and next to every term. I think it's best if we stick with one or the other, or at least not both at the same time.
Considering that lanceur versus propulseur oddity, I am inclined to use whatever the show called things rather than what the instruction sheets say. People are more likely to have watched the anime than to have actively looked at those guides, in my opinion.

However, I just attempted to find some Bakuten Shoot Beyblade episodes in French on YouTube and it stops at twenty, in the first season...
In my opinion it's more suitable to use the original name for everyone instead of the dub name. This is meant to be used with everything: components and anime/manga characters.
I think that this is needed at least for the english version.
(Jun. 13, 2016  4:27 AM)Kai-V Wrote: Considering that lanceur versus propulseur oddity, I am inclined to use whatever the show called things rather than what the instruction sheets say. People are more likely to have watched the anime than to have actively looked at those guides, in my opinion.

However, I just attempted to find some Bakuten Shoot Beyblade episodes in French on YouTube and it stops at twenty, in the first season...

Herein lies the problem. Most of the French dub has vanished into thin air quite a long time ago. The French instruction sheet is tucked away in some archival website, not to mention that the name of the parts weren't translated onto the Hasbro carry cases, as evidenced by the Driger MS case I still have.

Bl4ck-ou7 replied to me in PM, and his answer I think cemented the need for a French terminology. He also uses the terms lanceur and crémaillère, so I think we can wrap that one with a ribbon, but the main point is that for MFB (I asked about the series he was familiar with), he uses the official French terminology found in leaflets, on the back of the boxes and in the show, and so that's what he would use. The circumstances for HMS are different, because most of that is, like I said, gone.

One alternative might be to use the name for the Plastics parts from the anime, and put all official and unofficial equivalencies in a terminological/archival page.

(Jun. 13, 2016  6:06 PM)C a o S³ Wrote: In my opinion it's more suitable to use the original name for everyone instead of the dub name. This is meant to be used with everything: components and anime/manga characters.

I understand your point, and I've argued for the use of the original terminology before, but on the matter of French, you'll find it has a weird relationship with Anglicisms and words borrowed straight from English. I'm speaking broadly, of course, but still, I fear the readership might find it a bit jarring to have so many English words thrown around, that is, if we do get readers.
I've avoided joining in as I wanted to see everyone else weigh in on this, especially those fluent with French (I can speak French, but not fluently), but I'll add my opinion now.

If lanceur is the most widely known to French fans, I'd be more inclined to say to use that. It'll make more sense to more people. I certainly do agree with perhaps having an article for alternative terminology used in French, including listing where these alternatives stem from, and maybe even including the English meaning on there if that would be beneficial as well.
What I'd propose right now is this. We use whatever's more common or convenient in the articles, and I'll add a link to a multilingual lexicon in the French Beybox once I come around to finalizing the latter.

For the lexicon, I've tried to just build a table like I had done on Beywiki, but since we're dealing with more terminological sources this time around, it wasn't super friendly. So I've opted for some sort of card system. Each card relates to one term, and since each card features an image, you don't actually need to know what something is called to find it. Vertical space isn't a problem like horizontal space is, so you can have as many variations as you like.

It's not complete yet, but there's enough of a skeleton to see how it works. Overall, it might be too much trouble for the number of people it could help, but it's done, so best to just shrug it off.
That page should be fine, I suppose. There is not much else available...
(Jun. 14, 2016  8:28 PM)Nocto Wrote:
(Jun. 13, 2016  6:06 PM)C a o S³ Wrote: In my opinion it's more suitable to use the original name for everyone instead of the dub name. This is meant to be used with everything: components and anime/manga characters.

I understand your point, and I've argued for the use of the original terminology before, but on the matter of French, you'll find it has a weird relationship with Anglicisms and words borrowed straight from English. I'm speaking broadly, of course, but still, I fear the readership might find it a bit jarring to have so many English words thrown around, that is, if we do get readers.
Mh I understand this, probably the best solution for french speaker are the french dub name.
On the other hand (except for the plastic gen) no one in Italy used the dub term. This was caused by two factor:
1- The dub name after the plastic gen was ridiculous and dispersive.
2- Old BeyWiki's popularity in Italy.
It is quite strange to hear some dub name in Italy.
For example, talking about the MFB gen, here on the Italian WBO everyone always called the clear wheel and metal wheel exactly clear wheel and metal wheel. Their translation in the dub was respectively "anello di energia" and "ruota di fusione", so "energy ring" and "fusion ring", but even if they was localized in this way they was never used by anyone on the community (except some newcomers kids).
I also have to say that in english the dub name sounds much better than the Italian translation.
Could be useful to give the user the chance to choose which terminology wants to show, or at least use original and dub name together.
(Jun. 21, 2016  7:22 PM)C a o S³ Wrote:
(Jun. 14, 2016  8:28 PM)Nocto Wrote:

Mh I understand this, probably the best solution for french speaker are the french dub name.
On the other hand (except for the plastic gen) no one in Italy used the dub term. This was caused by two factor:
1- The dub name after the plastic gen was ridiculous and dispersive.
2- Old BeyWiki's popularity in Italy.
It is quite strange to hear some dub name in Italy.
For example, talking about the MFB gen, here on the Italian WBO everyone always called the clear wheel and metal wheel exactly clear wheel and metal wheel. Their translation in the dub was respectively "anello di energia" and "ruota di fusione", so "energy ring" and "fusion ring", but even if they was localized in this way they was never used by anyone on the community (except some newcomers kids).
I also have to say that in english the dub name sounds much better than the Italian translation.
Could be useful to give the user the chance to choose which terminology wants to show, or at least use original and dub name together.

If Italian is what's more common for Plastics (and HMS?) and Takara-Tomy English for everything else, then that's probably the best terms to use, unless by newcomers you mean every kid who hasn't heard of the WBO. @[~Mana~] would have the last word, but if I recall correctly, the reason the Wikia uses Hasbro dubbed terms is SEO, so his answer—at the risk of speaking for him—will be whatever is most likely to be searched for.

Would you still say it's Italian for the first generation and TT for later generations?

You don't sound convinced at all, Kai-V, haha. We can look for other solutions, you know.
Certainly, SEO is ideal as it brings in more readers. That is indeed why Hasbro terminology is used instead of Takara Tomy terminology as well.

Just to ask; are there any other Beyblade communities in other languages that could perhaps be used as a research ground? For instance, seeing how they refer to these terms in a general discussion basis without thinking about it. That might also be a good idea. Otherwise, Google's Search Checker is also a good way to see the actual search counts for each term to see what most look for.

As for that lexicon article; it looks fine to me, though I wouldn't be against it being simplified honestly. It seems a little much for something that should be a simple check. The way that page is presented at the moment, it'd be a better idea to just slap "In Other Languages" and a table of translations on the bottom of an Attack Ring, Weight Disk etc article and then just link them to the translated articles.
(Jun. 23, 2016  6:53 PM)Nocto Wrote: If Italian is what's more common for Plastics (and HMS?) and Takara-Tomy English for everything else, then that's probably the best terms to use, unless by newcomers you mean every kid who hasn't heard of the WBO. @[~Mana~] would have the last word, but if I recall correctly, the reason the Wikia uses Hasbro dubbed terms is SEO, so his answer—at the risk of speaking for him—will be whatever is most likely to be searched for.
For HMS well: In the anime were always used the same terms of plastic gen without variations. But usually everyone always used original terms thanks to internet.
BTW yes, this is exactly what I think Smile In addition, I met some guys in the past that also used the original terms even before knowing about the WBO, because they were also used in the bigger Italian beyblade forum around the web, this was quite stunning for me to discover.
"Would you still say it's Italian for the first generation and TT for later generations?" Mh yes, at least for competitive play and general purpose talking face to face. But I can understand if they are not the most searched terms by kids because they saw the anime.
(Jun. 24, 2016  2:47 AM)~Mana~ Wrote: Certainly, SEO is ideal as it brings in more readers. That is indeed why Hasbro terminology is used instead of Takara Tomy terminology as well.

Just to ask; are there any other Beyblade communities in other languages that could perhaps be used as a research ground? For instance, seeing how they refer to these terms in a general discussion basis without thinking about it. That might also be a good idea. Otherwise, Google's Search Checker is also a good way to see the actual search counts for each term to see what most look for.

As for that lexicon article; it looks fine to me, though I wouldn't be against it being simplified honestly. It seems a little much for something that should be a simple check. The way that page is presented at the moment, it'd be a better idea to just slap "In Other Languages" and a table of translations on the bottom of an Attack Ring, Weight Disk etc article and then just link them to the translated articles.
At least for the Italian speakers there aren't anymore existing and active communities unfortunately.

I am totally in flavor of a lexicon article or something similar.

Anyway, I continue to think that the beywiki has to have a standard, and the dub name can't be considered a true standard.
I just noticed that there are some spelling errors on the pages for Flash Shoot and Counter Break. I won´t edit them because my English isn´t perfect. Also I want to mention that I now have holidays and not much to do. In my freetime I could translate the articles into German if you want me to.
I saw those last night actually. The articles haven't been created using the correct article layouts, so I'll be touching those up tonight and ensuring they're correct, haha. Thanks!
With hasbro's release of burst should we start making a product list for them
(Sep. 01, 2016  10:46 PM)MJ99TCGGaming Wrote: With hasbro's release of burst should we start making a product list for them

Do they have a product code each?
yeah its located in the far top left
On the BeyWiki Orochi Ginba is written with it´s surname first and all of the other characters with the surname last.
Where? Every instance I can find says "Orochi Ginba", which is correct.
(Sep. 16, 2016  1:46 PM)~Mana~ Wrote: Where? Every instance I can find says "Orochi Ginba", which is correct.

Here and in the Navbox.