WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts

(May. 12, 2011  4:43 PM)Deikailo Wrote: I think modifying Swiss style when we don't even have Swiss in the rulebook is a bit weird, don't you think?

Seeing as the meet-up isn't WBO official I don't think it matters.
Whoops, I thought it was official. Oho, my bad.
I get to host my first tournament on BeyDay. This is also the first tournament in Oregon Grin
Luckily I have Deikailo's cell phone number. If I need anything, I just need to call her.
I will have a print out copy of the rules just incase. I'll probably end up reading it five times this week.
I honestly think we just need to do Swiss as a whole. I mean double elimination is okay but from playing card games, swiss is loads better and you get to play more matches. Also, I feel all the higher ranked players should play each other earlier. That way, the newer and younger players will have a fair chance and not be killed by the higher ranked players. It is rather discouraging to watch. However, I also feel like that could cause an issue when it comes to the final rounds because if there is a new player against a high ranked player in the finals, more than likely, it will be overkill. I for one don't feel comfortable facing newer players in the finals because it makes me feel like I just got a cheap win especially in the last match and I dont like facing the early because then they feel like they lost all their chances and it's not a cool feeling. At Cye's tournament, I ended up facing little kids early and it was cool for me. All the high ranked players were in the losers bracket and I never got to play them. I ended up having to face a little kid again so I threw the match to let him in the finals. Of course I didnt get to the final matches as a result of that but I felt good seeing that kid happy. I think putting the kids in their own bracket would be Better.
Bluezee, do you even know how Swiss works?
(May. 17, 2011  6:50 PM)Bluezee Wrote: I for one don't feel comfortable facing newer players in the finals because it makes me feel like I just got a cheap win especially in the last match and I dont like facing the early because then they feel like they lost all their chances and it's not a cool feeling. At Cye's tournament, I ended up facing little kids early and it was cool for me. All the high ranked players were in the losers bracket and I never got to play them. I ended up having to face a little kid again so I threw the match to let him in the finals. Of course I didnt get to the final matches as a result of that but I felt good seeing that kid happy. I think putting the kids in their own bracket would be Better.

Don't you think that the fact that a new player made it to the finals says something about them? By suggesting that a win against them would be a "cheap win", you are implying that you're looking down on them because they are "new". You can't underestimate people like that.

And throwing the match to let a kid into the finals is a nice sentiment, but as a competitor–and a highly skilled one at that–how can you do that? And what does that teach the kid about competition? Nothing. After all, he's just getting a free ride to the finals. You'd be giving him a false sense of strength.

You learn a lot more about yourself through losing, and taking full responsibility for that loss than you do through winning, especially through false means.

Putting "kids" into their own bracket wouldn't be fair. It denies them the opportunity to face higher ranked people often (and thus, the opportunity to gain a ton of BP), and it stops the high ranked people from being forced to "defend" their BeyPoints against people they should beat (based on comparison of BP).
Hidden Blader, a new blader, just placed 2nd in the latest US tournament in NJ. Fufucuz, also a new blader, made it to the finals bracket as well. He must have been younger than 10, but still held his ground.

The way I justify battling younger vs. old, newer vs. older is if you want to be considered the best blader, you have to be able to defeat anyone in your path.
(May. 17, 2011  6:58 PM)Deikailo Wrote: Bluezee, do you even know how Swiss works?

I could have sworn I just said I did them during card game tournaments I play in..so in other words, yes...

On another note, when I say "new" I do not mean new to the community. I mean new to the game itself. Someone who does not know them game so well and the concepts and possibilities will feel discouraged if they keep getting pounded when it is already apparent that they have not yet learned the game to the fullest extent. They would have a better chance against someone who may know the game but has essentially the same amount of skill and potential at the time based on the time they spend playing the game, success rate, etc.

Also, in regards to Kei, it's not that I am looking down on them. In fact, I admire their courage and will to win. I always tell those kids that they did an amazing job and that they should not give up when they lose. Those seemingly small yet very encouraging words takes the doubt from their faces and gives them a better sense of hope and determination. IKMV also does the same very often. That's why a lot of them look up to us. I just feel that it's not right for me to face them so early and mess up the start of their success with an early loss.

Age really has nothing to do with anything. I know plenty of young bladers, prime example would be Gabe, who excel and do extremely well in this game while I also know a few older bladers who really need to step their game up especially considering how long they have been into this.
(May. 17, 2011  8:33 PM)Bluezee Wrote: Also, in regards to Kei, it's not that I am looking down on them. In fact, I admire their courage and will to win. I always tell those kids that they did an amazing job and that they should not give up when they lose. Those seemingly small yet very encouraging words takes the doubt from their faces and gives them a better sense of hope and determination. IKMV also does the same very often. That's why a lot of them look up to us. I just feel that it's not right for me to face them so early and mess up the start of their success with an early loss.

That's great; you should encourage them. However, how can you justify letting someone beat you? Losing to someone more experienced gives them something to shoot for; it gives them a greater perspective on where they stand, and what they should do to actually improve. None of this can happen if you let someone less experienced than you win.

If I was a new Blader facing you, and you let me win, I would think that you must not respect me a whole lot if you don't deem me worthy of the same effort you would give to any other opponent.
(May. 17, 2011  9:00 PM)Kei Wrote: If I was a new Blader facing you, and you let me win, I would think that you must not respect me a whole lot if you don't deem me worthy of the same effort you would give to any other opponent.

This.

Letting someone win may encourage other players to use the excuse of: "I let them win" and other general disrespect amongst each other.
(May. 17, 2011  8:33 PM)Bluezee Wrote:
(May. 17, 2011  6:58 PM)Deikailo Wrote: Bluezee, do you even know how Swiss works?

I could have sworn I just said I did them during card game tournaments I play in..so in other words, yes...

On another note, when I say "new" I do not mean new to the community. I mean new to the game itself. Someone who does not know them game so well and the concepts and possibilities will feel discouraged if they keep getting pounded when it is already apparent that they have not yet learned the game to the fullest extent. They would have a better chance against someone who may know the game but has essentially the same amount of skill and potential at the time based on the time they spend playing the game, success rate, etc.

Also, in regards to Kei, it's not that I am looking down on them. In fact, I admire their courage and will to win. I always tell those kids that they did an amazing job and that they should not give up when they lose. Those seemingly small yet very encouraging words takes the doubt from their faces and gives them a better sense of hope and determination. IKMV also does the same very often. That's why a lot of them look up to us. I just feel that it's not right for me to face them so early and mess up the start of their success with an early loss.

Age really has nothing to do with anything. I know plenty of young bladers, prime example would be Gabe, who excel and do extremely well in this game while I also know a few older bladers who really need to step their game up especially considering how long they have been into this.
Clearly you do not know what Swiss is if you think bladers with lower scores will be eligible to advance...

So what you are saying is littlekev, hidden blader, fufucuz, hydreigon, and kcpj had no benefit in facing us and because they were new, should have been shorted the experience of facing more powerful bladers?

Seriously Bluezee, where is the off button on your ego?
(May. 17, 2011  9:19 PM)Deikailo Wrote:
(May. 17, 2011  8:33 PM)Bluezee Wrote:

Clearly you do not know what Swiss is if you think bladers with lower scores will be eligible to advance...

So what you are saying is littlekev, hidden blader, fufucuz, hydreigon, and kcpj had no benefit in facing us and because they were new, should have been shorted the experience of facing more powerful bladers?

Seriously Bluezee, where is the off button on your ego?

Apparently, you arent reading all of my statements correctly. My comments were not made in regards to the Swiss system for the most part. I know how it works. Highest rank is extremely important in the Swiss system... I've been off that. Also, they all got a benefit HOWEVER, they began benefitting over time. Maybe you don't remember but when hydreigon started, when he lost, he FELT lost as well. Had he not lost to such powerful bladers so early, he would not have had that feeling. I discovered that WAY back at MorningMess' tournament and it still is quite an issue.

Hydreigon can tell you himself about that feeling and how I helped him get over that. At the last NY tournament, he felt that way before the tournament even started. I had to reassure him that he could in fact do better and instructed him on what to buy to maximize his success and used all of my own free time for personal practice to spend time showing him what to do and to cheer him up. KCPJ also felt this for a while and I can tell he still does at time when he loses but I'm always right next to him telling him to do better and face me right after the match to see what went wrong and help him face stronger opponents.

Also, you're taking this way too personal. This has nothing to even do with an "ego button". I'm fine just how I am. I am just telling it like it is.
(May. 17, 2011  9:00 PM)Kei Wrote:
(May. 17, 2011  8:33 PM)Bluezee Wrote: Also, in regards to Kei, it's not that I am looking down on them. In fact, I admire their courage and will to win. I always tell those kids that they did an amazing job and that they should not give up when they lose. Those seemingly small yet very encouraging words takes the doubt from their faces and gives them a better sense of hope and determination. IKMV also does the same very often. That's why a lot of them look up to us. I just feel that it's not right for me to face them so early and mess up the start of their success with an early loss.

If I was a new Blader facing you, and you let me win, I would think that you must not respect me a whole lot if you don't deem me worthy of the same effort you would give to any other opponent.

I understand your concern and it is indeed an issue in more ways than not. However, at the time, I felt that the best thing to do was to do what I did. The happiness the blader got was WAY more important to me than my one win. The kid had no issue with it. In fact, he said thank you afterwards because he saw my initial choice that I pulled out of my pocket (and no it was not attached yet) and how I asked him specifically if he had ever made it into the finals and when he said no, how I switched it on told him "this is for you, have fun". He, as well as his dad, thanked me at the end of that match and we even had a match afterwards in free play to see how it would have went down if I used what I wanted. I won all the matches out of the 10 we had with a OHKO. I prefer it to have ended the way it did in our official match. Sure, my record as a competitive blader would be MUCH better had I not done that but I felt that kid being happy and seeing his dad proud of him was more important because I didn't have that support right behind me with the exception of one tournament.
Bluezee, stop being so egocentric. It's getting on my nerves.

the point of Beyblading is to have fun, and to improve. The only way to improve is to battle stronger opponents. Battling weak people won't do anything in terms of improvement. All you're doing with Swiss is depriving people from improving.
I want to input on this also but my grammar suck and I would fail English if my mommy didn't check my essays. So fair warning on my rambling.

Pretty much Bluezee you are saying :

"Since I am the $*&^ I don't want to vs. n00bs"
"Let n00bs vs. n0bbs and pros vs. pros"
"And I am a pro so I should be in the pro bracket"

I just want to understand you logic here...

Because you said " I felt good seeing that kid happy. I think putting the kids in their own bracket would be Better. "
But you then say "Age really has nothing to do with anything."

Your post are quite contradicting.
....Make up your mind man...

On the note of letting a kid win.
Wouldn't the kid feel more happier and proud that he beat a grown up?
If I was 10 and I only beat 8 year old and kids my age I wouldn't feel like the man. Yea I won the tournament but whoppy doo.
If I was 10 and obliterated a guy twice my age, I would be doing back flips.
Plus I wouldn't want someone after the battle saying I let you win. That is slap in the face. Just crushed my heart by telling me I was week.

Also, I have a question, isn't throwing matching against WBO rules or something?
Wouldn't that be corrupting the beypoint system we(the admins) worked hard to fix/improve/prevent cheating.

Maybe he in Cohorts with the kid!
And they split the prizes after words!
Conspiracy theories!
(May. 18, 2011  3:16 AM)BDaichi Wrote: Also, I have a question, isn't throwing matching against WBO rules or something?
Wouldn't that be corrupting the beypoint system we(the admins) worked hard to fix/improve/prevent cheating.

Seriously it is just a disadvantage for the person who lost on purpose. Yes, the 'winner' does not necessarily have the amount of Beypoints they should have, but it also punishes the 'loser'.
Re: What Bluezee said about playing kids, before everyone read "EGO" into it... It's part of the reason I haven't even bothered to give much time to the idea of organising a tourney in Perth. I'd feel awkward not only running a tourney and competing in it, but being older than everyone else there (well, I'm yet to note anyone older than 19 in Perth on here, so yeah).
However, for a lot of tourneys that barely manage to have enough contestants, it'd really stop them happening. Uncertain

I should probably shut up as I'm never going to see a tourney. But yeah. My 2c

Oh, and if it were done by pitting the good bladers against each other early, well, there's a reason most sports avoid that, they want the best teams there at the end. It's discouraging to be crushed, and I'd sure not want to end up in a group with you guys at my first tourney, but yeah. Still, I thought the aim of the beypoints system is that people play others near their own level? (maybe I read to much into what is just a self moderation feature to prevent people from beating weaker bladers repeatedly to gain rank, though).

Also, Bluezee, I personally think that was pretty cool of you. Honestly, if the kid was happy with it, I don't see the problem. Honestly, most kids I've known would be pretty happy with that. Jus' sayin'.
Last unofficial tourney I went, I was beaten by an eleven year old boy fair and square. The kid got extremely happy, he screamed and 'unconsciously' leaped of the stage onto floor. So yeah, well he's overjoyed.

I'm an adult, beyblade tourneys are usually already age restricted. So, whenever there's one that isn't, I jump at the chance. Doesn't really matter if I win or lose to a newbie / young kid, It's all good. It's the afternoon spent doing something that you like is what matters.

I'm not even gonna comment on throwing out matches. However you wanna look at it, it's almost never justifiable.
At the Yankee Invansion: First Wave, I won my own tournament. At the end of the tournament, I was scolded for winning. The two mothers told me that "judges always win" and that "there is a bias". If I don't advance far in a tournament, then I'm seen as week among you guys.

FML, I can't win.
Aww, that is a real shame.

Random Thought:

Can not wait for Saturday! I have two really good Beys I want to see do well against CS combinations. To be honest I do not really think I should of opened my RB7 and should have sold it.
(May. 25, 2011  8:04 PM)Deikailo Wrote: At the Yankee Invansion: First Wave, I won my own tournament. At the end of the tournament, I was scolded for winning. The two mothers told me that "judges always win" and that "there is a bias". If I don't advance far in a tournament, then I'm seen as week among you guys.

FML, I can't win.

Dei, you won fairly. Although judges tend to be the better players, there are a bunch of great players that aren't judges. It's the other way around sometimes too, sometimes judges suck. Look at me, I'm a judge and I barely win. You should just ignore the moms who say that, because you and all of the other judges know it was fair.
(May. 25, 2011  3:29 PM)th!nk Wrote: Re: What Bluezee said about playing kids, before everyone read "EGO" into it... It's part of the reason I haven't even bothered to give much time to the idea of organising a tourney in Perth. I'd feel awkward not only running a tourney and competing in it, but being older than everyone else there (well, I'm yet to note anyone older than 19 in Perth on here, so yeah).
However, for a lot of tourneys that barely manage to have enough contestants, it'd really stop them happening. Uncertain

It's discouraging to be crushed, and I'd sure not want to end up in a group with you guys at my first tourney, but yeah. Still, I thought the aim of the beypoints system is that people play others near their own level? (maybe I read to much into what is just a self moderation feature to prevent people from beating weaker bladers repeatedly to gain rank, though).

You shouldn't let that stop you from hosting a tournament! If most of the Bladers in your area are younger, then they would appreciate it even more that someone older and responsible enough would take the time to host a tournament. And if you did, just because you're older doesn't mean you shouldn't compete! Age and knowledge obviously gives you the advantage in a lot of cases, but there is plenty of strong younger Bladers too.

It should never be discouraging to lose/"be crushed" unless your opponent is arrogant and disrespectful towards you for losing. Disappointing? Yes, but after you get over that initial fleeting emotion, you can take the experience and learn from it. It forces you into self-analysis–"What did I do wrong? What can I do to change this for next time?"–which is never a bad thing for a person to do. As for ending up in a group with "you guys" (I suppose you mean higher ranked Bladers) in your first tournament, that would actually be preferable because you would have nothing to lose and everything to gain, while it would be the opposite for the higher ranked Bladers (who would lose a TON of BP if they lost to someone just starting out).

(May. 25, 2011  8:04 PM)Deikailo Wrote: At the Yankee Invansion: First Wave, I won my own tournament. At the end of the tournament, I was scolded for winning. The two mothers told me that "judges always win" and that "there is a bias". If I don't advance far in a tournament, then I'm seen as week among you guys.

I understand why they might be upset, but what did they expect, that the judges of a tournament would be crappy Bladers?
Anyway, I'm hostage my first tournament Saturday. I've been going over all the rules and have been advertising as much as possible. Does anyone have any advice on how to make the tournament as good as it can be?
well me and my freind want to vs each other but we dont know how to make it oficial but we want the battel to be 1 v 1
i somewhat see what bluezee is saying becasue i am still slighly a newbie to tournaments (2 so far) and at my first tournament i got crushed by deikailo and rotation and afoinic foo and im just gonna stop now....... and what really hurt was i didn't just lose the match but my pieces i was defeated very badly my bey was hits so hard it was flung into the street though when i got home i wanted to strive to get better and to not losse so easy for next time at my second 5-8 place i believe? so i see both points
(May. 26, 2011  1:22 PM)BillyBlast Wrote: i somewhat see what bluezee is saying becasue i am still slighly a newbie to tournaments (2 so far) and at my first tournament i got crushed by deikailo and rotation and afoinic foo and im just gonna stop now....... and what really hurt was i didn't just lose the match but my pieces i was defeated very badly my bey was hits so hard it was flung into the street though when i got home i wanted to strive to get better and to not losse so easy for next time at my second 5-8 place i believe? so i see both points
How can you say all of that when you got to the sixth round of the last tournament? I've been blading for 8 years now so really, I should be winning more than I am now so it kills me when I lose 3rd or 4th round. There is always going to be a losing party when someone wins that's where you get the phrase "you win some, you lose some".

The best advice I can give you is to watch every match that's played. You get accustomed to who uses what blades and when. From there, you know how to counter combos. That's what I've been doing lately and it has been working for me.